Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,862 members, 7,813,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

Daughters Of Arabia By Jean Sasson - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Daughters Of Arabia By Jean Sasson (4973 Views)

Daughters / Proudly African! By Jean Abbey / Shadrack Lane: A Short Story By Jean Abbey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Daughters Of Arabia By Jean Sasson by spikedcylinder: 7:59pm On Dec 28, 2005
Excerpts,
Millions of readers from around the world were shocked at Princess Sultana's extraordinarily open and honest story.[/i]Princess[i],the first hand expose of women's lives behind the veil inside the royal family of Saudi Arabia. In [/i]Daughters of Arabia[i], the princess turns the spotlight on her teenage daughters, Maha and Amani.
Surrounded by unbelievable opulence, Sultana's daughters have grown up taking their luxuries for granted. Yet,stifled by the horrendous restrictions imposed on all females, even royals, they have reacted in very different but equally desperate ways.
This is a compelling story, set against the background of a turbulent society pitting authoritarian rule against fundamentalist religious demands, external political pressures and the tug of economic hardship in a land overflowing with oil revenues. This is the land that produced Osama Bin Laden. And yet it is a land of beauty, history and religion. Home of Islam's holiest sites. It is in this environment of paradox and contrast that Sultana tries to rear her daughters as she seeks to expose injustice .In her courageous quest, Sultana once more strikes a chord amongst all women lucky enough to live their lives in freedom.

I'm still in the middle of it but I think its absolutely brilliant! A true life story too. . . . .  smiley
Re: Daughters Of Arabia By Jean Sasson by newgirl(f): 9:41am On Feb 05, 2006
yea its a really good book
Re: Daughters Of Arabia By Jean Sasson by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 01, 2009
Sounds good. i think i'll check it out
Re: Daughters Of Arabia By Jean Sasson by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 01, 2009
think I'm mixing this up with Lord of the Rings which I know I lent someone years ago if i remember correctly.
Re: Daughters Of Arabia By Jean Sasson by spikedcylinder: 8:08pm On Aug 01, 2009
Lord of the Rings? How?
Re: Daughters Of Arabia By Jean Sasson by dayokanu(m): 8:17pm On Aug 01, 2009
^^Attention needed.
Re: Daughters Of Arabia By Jean Sasson by Nobody: 2:37am On Aug 02, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Lord of the Rings? How?

I posted something else originally but I think I was referring to the wrong book.
Re: Daughters Of Arabia By Jean Sasson by spikedcylinder: 3:18pm On Aug 02, 2009
Oh ok.

Dayo, check the thread now.
Re: Daughters Of Arabia By Jean Sasson by dayokanu(m): 4:11pm On Aug 02, 2009
Thanks.
You have done your bit

(1) (Reply)

My Little Secret. A Short Romance Story. / The Lust Sex / Latest Nigerian Slangs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.