Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,548 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu (5503 Views)

Ebenezer Babatope: Trump Impeachment, Lesson To Leaders That Power Is Transient / Simeon Abuh, Husband Of Salome Abuh: Why My Wife Was Murdered – / Governor Obaseki: Era Of Sharing Money To Greedy Edo Politicians Over (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu by T9ksy(m): 3:29pm On Mar 15, 2019
schoolboij:

Wh are you Igbo's always accuse others of what you are guilty of? This topic is about afonja. And I'm pointing out all the afonjas in southern Nigeria since anybody who supports a fulani man is an afonja.

Btw, an Igbo man can never be better than me. I see them as inferiors right from my childhood. That's how I was raised. So quit your delusion.

Now stick to the topic.

With the bolded in mind, i believe it's right to opine that the mighty Zik of Onitsha a.k.a fake nationalist is the modern day "Afonja" as he lay the precedent for other flatinoes to follow. Ditto ekweume who was another fulani's arse...licker.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu by APCHaram: 9:05am On Jun 18, 2019
Bump

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu by 12Monkeys: 3:59pm On Jan 28, 2020
Bump
Re: How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu by TOPCRUISE(m): 3:30pm On Apr 28, 2020
And they say Islam is a religion of peace. Can anyone identify the peace in what I just read embarassed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu by Tetrahedron: 3:34pm On Apr 28, 2020
He wont listen

He is over ambitious

MKO Abiola is a lesson in history
Re: How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu by KwaraRat: 1:55pm On Nov 26, 2022
For all the idiots calling me a BAT urchin, Yoruba Muslim
Re: How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu by DSC7: 2:11pm On Nov 26, 2022
The hour has come for Tilumbu to be humiliated grin cheesy
Re: How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu by Justiceleague1: 4:42pm On Nov 26, 2022
KwaraRat:
Afonja rebelled against Oyo purely out of greed.

Ilorin was once a prominent trading post for the old Oyo empire with much of the empire trade being done with the Hausa kingdom to the north and Arab merchants via the Saharan trade route. Most of this trade centered around slaves, kola nuts, herbs, gold and finished goods from Arabia.

With the coming of the Europeans and another trade point opened to the south via the Atlantic coupled with higher pricing of the major commodity of that time - slaves, Ilorin quickly lost it's relevance and political dominance. The socio-political instability caused by the Jihadist Othman dan Fodio also drastically reduced trading between Oyo and the now conquered Hausa North.

Ilorin lost her economic edge and Afonja became ignored since his battalion had nothing to protect. Afonja was also sidelined in participating or partaking in the now lucrative slave trade to the south. This was enough for him to stage a treasonable act on his uncle who happened to have been the Alaffin of Oyo and who also appointed Afonja as his Generalissimo.

Afonja will woo rich Yoruba Muslims all over the empire to join him in Ilorin. The Yoruba Muslims began facing some form of discrimination in the hands of other Yorubas after the fall of Gobir to the Jihadist. Word had it that Hausa Muslims were the ones that uprooted their own King and elevated an immigrant scholar as their supreme ruler.

Afonja also sent word to slaves (who happened to be mainly from the middle belt and Huasa/Fulani ilk) in Oyo to escape to Ilorin from where he guaranteed their freedom.

On three occasions Afonja marched to Oyo Ile (the lost capital of Oyo) to effect a regime change but left after he was denied the throne by the king makers who saw Afonja as an usurper to the throne after he had his uncle (Aragongo) commit suicide by poisoning.

Afonja then decided the only way to claim the throne was to wage war against his own people. Most of Afonjas foot soldiers defected after a curse was placed by the Alaffin on anybody of Yoruba blood assisting Afonja in his treason. By the time Afonja invaded Oyo Ile most of his foot soldiers where either Fulani mercenaries or escapee slaves who had no qualms killing Yorubas in the most vicious manner. Some of Afonjas lieutenants and officers warned him of the unruly behavior of the Muslim soldiers but he did not listen as he was all set to claim the throne for himself.

On his last attempt at seizing power for himself, something happened that made the scales fall from Afonjas eyes. The Muslim mercenaries were hell bent on burning and sacking the capital and the wantom destruction and killings must have made afonja to give the order to his foot soldeirs to stop fighting. But the Muslims did not relent until they had burnt the capital to the ground and killed and raped to their heart's desire. Sensing that Afonja was regretting his alliance with the Muslim horde, the Hausa/Fulani mercenaries seized him and in the most humiliating manner and dragged him bag to Ilorin.

It was in Ilorin that the Huasa/Fulani gathered the Yoruba population to witness the most horrendous and disgraceful murder of Afonja who was stripped naked, flogged, mutilated and burnt to death.

Afonja was not only demystified by the manner at which he was killed but his people came to understand who now controlled Ilorin and just like that they converted en-mass to Islam.

see the afonja MUMUni Mufutau claiming Niger Delta shocked shocked. grin grin grin

The Fulani warriors took over your Kwara and installed emir Gambari,there's nothing you can do about it other than dobale flat on the ground for emir so you can get your chop money peacefully grin
Re: How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu by Justiceleague1: 4:43pm On Nov 26, 2022
KwaraRat:
Greed and wild ambition will be the end of Tinubu.

Come 2019, with or without Buhari being returned Tinubu will be annihilated politically.

keep on with your ipob this ipob that job o grin
Re: How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu by KwaraRat: 4:47pm On Nov 26, 2022
Justiceleague1:

OSU , I have never and will never support tinubu

But that will never see me support an OSU for president
Re: How Afonja Was Murdered: A lesson to greedy Tinubu by Justiceleague1: 5:05pm On Nov 26, 2022
KwaraRat:

OSU , I have never and will never support tinubu
of course, aboki will always support aboki grin
But that will never see me support an OSU for president

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogun APC Undecided Over Allegation Against Governorship Candidate / IPOB's Statement On Clark Idiotic, Igbo Must Apologize - PANDEF / Yar’adua: Saudi Authorities Deny Ministers Landing Clearance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.