Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,237 members, 7,811,665 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February (19142 Views)

Asisat Oshoala's Goal Voted Goal Of The Week In The NWSL / Asisat Oshoala's Goal Voted UEFA Champions League Goal Of The Week / Benjamin Pavard's Goal Voted As The Best Of The 2018 World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by naptu2: 9:15pm On Mar 16, 2018
Desire Oparanozie's rocket goal against Paris FC has been voted the goal of the month for February by readers of international women's football website Women's Soccer United.

Here's a video of the goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaI0CzBQkYY

And here's a link to the previous thread about the goal.

https://www.nairaland.com/4363721/video-pictures-desire-oparanozies-rocket

https://mobile.twitter.com/WomensSoccerUtd/status/974692550085931008

3 Likes

Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by naptu2: 9:16pm On Mar 16, 2018
Reactions from Kelechi Nwakali, Faith Ikidi, Ebere Orji and others.

1 Share

Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by Nobody: 9:20pm On Mar 16, 2018
grin grin

That's my girl Desire.
Don't worry my son will grow up and marry you

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by naijjaman(m): 9:32pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nice. cheesy
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by Oluwasaeon(m): 9:36pm On Mar 16, 2018
Congrats
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by alphaconde(m): 9:37pm On Mar 16, 2018
nice something good has come out of Nazareth
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by BruncleZuma: 9:39pm On Mar 16, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by hinohsend: 9:44pm On Mar 16, 2018
World Soccer United? Lol.... The Twitter page is not even verified. Rubbish.... Nice goal tho
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by IwillSucced(m): 9:48pm On Mar 16, 2018
nice one
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by ameri9ja: 10:10pm On Mar 16, 2018
I
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by ameri9ja: 10:12pm On Mar 16, 2018
I always feel funny watching women play soccer. It all seems weird.
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by chloride6: 10:14pm On Mar 16, 2018
I was so sure naptu2 opened this thread grin
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 10:39pm On Mar 16, 2018
The lady is really talented. I give it to her.
FortifiedCity:
grin grin

That's my girl Desire.
Don't worry my son will grow up and marry you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by okonja(m): 11:03pm On Mar 16, 2018
The home team scored first to awaken the beast in the away team grin grin
In Yoruba, we gonna say "Won fii Abara kekere gba nila" grin
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by zolajpower: 11:29pm On Mar 16, 2018
The only african and black person on the log
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by SantaDomino(m): 11:35pm On Mar 16, 2018
Truly she's blessed!
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by boolet: 12:02am On Mar 17, 2018
Nice one! Seems like some of the girls don't feel comfortable celebrating with her... Maybe it is in my head.

1 Like

Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by Nobody: 2:18am On Mar 17, 2018
Congrats, Nwanyioma ejiejemba
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by Daejoyoung: 6:59am On Mar 17, 2018
ameri9ja:
I always feel funny watching women play soccer. It all seems weird.
How?? women play basketball, volleyball and all kinds of sports, so why is soccer different?
The only problem l have with it, is that African females who play it are usually tom boys in contrast to female footballers outside Africa such as Alex Morgan for example. Football is majorly about your intellect, decision making, and then stamina. While nobody expect ladies to have the stamina of guys, they are expected to excel in skills, decision making, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by Donjazzy12(m): 7:09am On Mar 17, 2018
naptu2:
Desire Oparanozie's rocket goal against Paris FC has been voted the goal of the month for February by readers of international women's football website Women's Soccer United.

Here's a video of the goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaI0CzBQkYY

And here's a link to the previous thread about the goal.

https://www.nairaland.com/4363721/video-pictures-desire-oparanozies-rocket

https://mobile.twitter.com/WomensSoccerUtd/status/974692550085931008
Nobody was watching in the stands!
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by naptu2: 7:31am On Mar 17, 2018
Desire Oparanozie wins WSU Goal of the Month – February 2018

March 16, 2018 in GOTM, News

WSU GOAL OF THE MONTH: DESIRE OPARANOZIE

We asked you to vote for your favourite WSU Goal of the Month for February 2018, and the big majority of you voted Desire Oparanozie as your winner.

Watch Desire Oparanozie’s spectacular long-range lob again now!

Video Player
00:0000:00

Desire Oparanozie scored the stunning strike for EA Guingamp against Paris FC in the French Women’s Division 1 match.

This impressive lob in the 89th minute was Oparanozie’s second goal of the game, having scored EA Guingamp’s equaliser in the 27th minute.

From the centre circle, Desire Oparanozie sees the Paris FC goalkeeper off her line before unleashing the fantastic lob on target from distance!

Desire Oparanozie’s long-range strike beat Dominique Janssen, Georgia Stanway, Erika Vázquez, Dzsenifer Marozsan, Saray Garcia, Natasa Andonova and Claire Lavogez. Click here to watch all eight of February’s finalists again. Thank you for all your votes!

Final Results for February’s WSU Goal of the Month:

1. Desire Oparanozie (51%)
2. Dominique Janssen (17%)
3. Georgia Stanway (13%)
4. Erika Vázquez (9%)
5. Dzsenifer Marozsan (4%)
6. Saray Garcia (3%)
7. Natasa Andonova (2%)
8. Claire Lavogez (1%)

Thank you for voting

http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/oparanozie-gotm-february-2018/
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by naptu2: 7:32am On Mar 17, 2018
Donjazzy12:

Nobody was watching in the stands!

naptu2:

@ bold, I call it the "Stadium illusion".

I attended a match a long time ago in which the stadium was almost three-quarters full. I took pictures during the game and posted it on the internet. Someone who saw the pictures was complaining that the stadium was empty. His complaint made me angry, but I looked at the picture again and understood what happened.

I'm going to explain this using Nigerian terms.

Stadiums usually have a covered or VIP section, two sections behind the goals and a fourth section that is known as "Popular Side" in Nigerian English.

The covered section usually has the best seats and is usually closer to the main entrance, while the Popular Side usually has the worst seats and is usually further away from the main entrance.

Most people prefer to sit near the VIP section, especially when the tickets are not too expensive.

I was seated in the State Box, which is in the covered section, 90% of the spectators were also seated in the covered section, but my camera was facing the Popular Side which was empty. Therefore it looked as if the stadium was empty, even though it was not.

It seems to be the same scenario here, because you can hear the chants of the supporters, which means that the stadium is not empty.
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by naptu2: 7:33am On Mar 17, 2018
Desire Oparanozie has a habit of scoring and performing well against Paris teams.

Desire Oparanozie vs Paris Saint Germain (the second assist was simply beautiful)
Desire Oparanozie ‘creates’ three goals in epic comeback against PSG Ladies

April 03 2017
by Mansur Ibrahim

Super Falcons forward, Oparanozie Desire, was in terrific form last weekend as she scored a goal and provided two assists to help En Avant De Guingamp stage an epic comeback against PSG Ladies.

PSG Ladies were leading 3-0 in the first half but EAG Ladies fought back in the second half to end the game in a draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATcMsLKRyoM

Opanorazie scored in the 82nd minute after creating the chances that led to the first and second goals.

EAG is currently sixth while PSG is third in the female Division One table.

https://www.thecable.ng/oparanozie-assist-scores-in-epic-come-back-against-psg-ladies
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by XD3G: 7:57am On Mar 17, 2018
Rocket goal?!

That was a lob.
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by khalids: 9:22am On Mar 17, 2018
That was a nice goal......But has the definition of "ROCKET CHANGED" undecided undecided undecided
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by naptu2: 11:50am On Mar 17, 2018
XD3G:
Rocket goal?!

That was a lob.

khalids:
That was a nice goal......But has the definition of "ROCKET CHANGED" undecided undecided undecided

Lob a rocket

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lob_bomb

It's basically about the distance, not the trajectory. That was a goal that was scored all the way from the centre circle.

1. a cylindrical projectile that can be propelled to a great height or distance by the combustion of its contents, used typically as a firework or signal.

1 Like

Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by ameri9ja: 1:21pm On Mar 17, 2018
Daejoyoung:

How?? women play basketball, volleyball and all kinds of sports, so why is soccer different?
The only problem l have with it, is that African females who play it are usually tom boys in contrast to female footballers outside Africa such as Alex Morgan for example. Football is majorly about your intellect, decision making, and then stamina. While nobody expect ladies to have the stamina of guys, they are expected to excel in skills, decision making, etc.

Actually it is a function of what you experienced growing up. In USA for example soccer is for women. Most find it weird seeing men play soccer.
Re: Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February by naptu2: 1:27pm On Mar 17, 2018
I already knew that women could play very good, interesting and entertaining football, but this was the point that I started taking women's football very seriously.

naptu2:
Women's football was not really taken seriously in the 1970s and '80s. What came to people's minds when you said "women's football" were comical matches that did not really comply with the rules of the game. They were novelty games that were played for comic relief, rather than real competitive matches. The situation was the same in most countries, but women's football was serious business in Scandinavia.

Then in 1989 FIFA decided to create a women's world cup (the first tournament was held in 1991) and Nigeria also decided to take women's football seriously.

So women's football was included in the 1989 National Sports Festival in Lagos. I went to watch most of the matches.

There was a huge gulf in class between the teams from Lagos, Bendel and Rivers and the other teams in the competition. Lagos, Bendel and Rivers were far better than all the other teams and none of the other teams could compete with them. The other teams looked like jokers.

Spectators who didn't think that women's football could be as interesting as men's football felt justified when they saw most of the teams play, but were totally shocked when they saw Lagos, Bendel and Rivers. Their players were very fit, trim and athletic (unlike players from other states). They could run, dribble and shoot very well.

Word spread quickly and the arena was always full when these three teams were playing. They beat the other states by 4 or more goals margin. Why were these three states so much better than the others?

Well, I didn't find out until the first women's national team, league and FA cup were organised in the early 1990s. Basically, these three states already had good female football clubs and the state teams were made up of players from these clubs.

Lagos State was basically made up of Jegede Babes players, Bendel State was the same as Ufuoma Babes of Benin and Rivers State was represented by players from Larry's Angels. These three teams dominated nigerian female football in the early 1990s.

(1) (Reply)

Andrej Kramaric Confesses That He's Afraid Of Nigerian Team / WWE Smackdown Results: Winners, Losers, Grades & Highlights (Thread) / The Moment Barcelona Won The 2018/2019 La Liga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.