Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

FG, Labour Agree On N18,000 Minimum Wage - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG, Labour Agree On N18,000 Minimum Wage (817 Views)

Nigeria, China Bank Agree On Yuan / Delay In Air Cargo Clearance In Lagos- Customs/agents Agree On Practices / Average Monthly Wage for an NNPC Worker? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

FG, Labour Agree On N18,000 Minimum Wage by supereagle(m): 2:50am On May 02, 2010
Organised labour, private employers and the Federal Government have agreed on a new national minimum wage of N18,000 per month but an announcement to this effect yesterday on the occasion of May Day was greeted with shouts of No! no! by workers.
Although, the Nigeria Labour Congress president, Comrade Abdulwaheed Omar and Acting President Goodluck Jonathan were silent on the figure of the new minimum wage, they confirmed that a permanent wage adjustment machinery had been put in place for all employees in the public sector.
The acting president directed the Minister of Labour to continue discussions with the Association of Senior Civil Service Unions which issued a strike threat on Friday to embark on strike over 10% pay adjustment recommended for civil servants with effect from tomorrow.
Dr. Jonathan said negotiation was nearing completion. “ A well motivated workforce is a productive workforce”, he said, adding “these are trying times for workers and government worldwide because of the global economic crisis.”.
He also promised to boost job opportunities by encouraging investments and to fast track development.
The acting president said, never again would there be sectoral wage negotiation in the public service where different groups of workers will clamour for wage review at different times.
“My belief is that wage should not be negotiated sectorally . I don’t believe that if I am a medical doctor today, I am superior to the rest of Nigeria . I don’t believe that if I am a teacher today, I am superior to the rest of Nigeria. We must put our heads together for this country to move“, he said.
President of the Trade Union Congress, Comrade Peter Esele who announced the national minimum wage at the May Day rally held at Eagle’s square , Abuja yesterday however said, “ we are surprised to learn of government offer of 10% per cent increase for civil servants while the police and the other services got between 60% to 100%.
Estelle said, “ TUC will support any action taken by the Association of Senior Civil Servants to address this injustice as we will not accept anything less than N18,000 as minimum wage payable to Nigerian workers”.
NLC president, Comrade Abdulwaheed Omar asked the Federal Government to “ fast track the promulgation of the committee recommendations into a new national minimum wage law”.
Omar said, added “ we have followed the negotiations on relativity in the public service and the apparent lack of progress in the process.
The distortion occasioned by the consolidated salary structure in the pubic service is not only unjust but against the principles of equity and social justice”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/05/01/may-day-fg-labour-agree-on-n18000-minimum-wage/
Re: FG, Labour Agree On N18,000 Minimum Wage by master2(m): 1:54pm On May 02, 2010
Oya, bus drivers, tomatoe sellers,landlord and pure water seller increase the price of ur goods and services.

(1) (Reply)

Great Deals / Re-sellers Wanted For Mini Washing Machine / Does Anyone Know If A South African Company Offered To Buy Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.