Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

How Do I Get The Job Experience ? By Engr. Ememobong Okodi - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Get The Job Experience ? By Engr. Ememobong Okodi (706 Views)

Opay Job Experience / How I Make Money Writing Articles For Infoguide Nigeria.com: My Experience By K / 10 Reasons Your Boss Wants You Out Of The Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Get The Job Experience ? By Engr. Ememobong Okodi by Xtranoble: 12:42pm On Mar 17, 2018
This is a pretty tough question for our Hiring/Human Resource(s) Managers. Questions like this seldom spring up among unemployed graduates whose experience in their respective career fields tend to be less than what's required to work in that specific industry. I'll try as much as I can to balance my position as I attempt a jab on this matter. I had a chat with a friend of mine, (*Name and gender withheld*), who is a fresh graduate, with a B.Ed in Chemistry. We discussed quite a number of issues, and at a point, I made reference to something that happened at my place of work. Instantly, my friend expressed interest in working for my company. Seeing the enthusiasm, I asked: ‘What’s your level of experience in this field?’ And then my friend responded with a question: ‘How do I get the experience if I'm not given an opportunity?’ This response is the reason for this essay. Indeed, how does one get the experience if no opportunity is given? When I was growing up, I was fond of opening my dad's faulty electronic devices--radio, black & white TV, torchlight—to repair. Although, sometimes I succeeded in repairing one function, and end up spoiling another. At times, the device would finally come on and get some sound, but would lose the ability to power off when I try switching off. It was funny, and obviously, I hear you laughing to this. But hey, that was how I picked up the interest for engineering. I finally got to study Electrical/ Electronics Engineering Technology (EET) in a Polytechnic as fate(or destiny) would have it. After the first semester of ND1, I had to fulfill Industrial Training Fund’s four months' Industrial Training/Attachment, which eventually culminated into one year. This was caused by the nonchalance of my school towards acquiring NBTE accreditation or affiliation with accredited institutions. Because of this, the thought that I would get some little remuneration as a trainee in a big company was dashed. In all of these, my dad had a different plan for me, and I wish to acknowledge here that my dad is indeed a wise man. While I was keen on getting paid in a big company, he was interested in getting me fortified with hands-on experience during that short period. Thus, he went ahead and paid about N5, 000.00 for me to join an Electrical firm that was then contracted by the government to carryout poll planting, and general electrification to complement the governmental strides on road construction in my state. I have to admit, I hated the whole idea and he paying for it was another part that infuriated me. I defiantly and reluctantly went through the 4months training, and got exposed to field work, basically in Electrical Power, power tools and equipment. When I got back to school to complete my ND, I had been exposed to a good level of experience in my field. All thanks to my dad. I need not talk about my love for and involvement in music and art, as a whole, as that would be a story for another essay. My dad thought it was a distraction, and candidly, I wouldn’t agree less now, because I don't know the level of passive knowledge I'd have assimilated. Moving on to the one year compulsory SIWES Industrial Attachment, my dad sacrificed a whooping N80,000 to a man who used to handle his computer systems, accessories, and their setups, repairs, and maintenance, to teach me repairs and maintenance, networking and website design. Although he couldn't teach me all the packages he highlighted, perhaps he didn't know all of it, I eventually gained proficiency in general electronics repairs/maintenance, computer repairs and maintenance, computer setup/installation, and a level of networking. All thanks to dad, still. Thereafter, I had to go through a Pre-HND to get into the institution my school was later affiliated to. Talking about work experience, whenever I came home for a break, I was never allowed to rest. Bang! I got attached with a Field Maintenance Engineer who was a colleague of one of my relations’. This man was in charge of several network towers in my LGA's cluster. And I forgot to mention that after my 1year SIWES, I started my Higher National Diploma under Electronics/Telecommunications option of Electrical/Electronics Engineering (Technology). So, my holiday attachment, courtesy of my wise dad, Bishop Okono, was in line with my discipline. After Graduation, I linked up with my senior cousin who by that time had been promoted to be the Hybrid/Passive Engineer in charge of Akwa Ibom, Abia, and Cross River sites, including Colo sites. Most of the times, I missed home and it's comfort, because I had to spend up to 5days working and understudying in the field and traveling across the 3 states. Now, this wasn't a paid job... The company never knew me... And as such, there were no incentives. I only got fed when the team was being fed by my cousin, and some stipends, which didn’t come regularly. *I still very much owe him my gratitude* After a few months, he became the Field Maintenance Engineer in charge of the vast Ikot Ekpene cluster. We carried out alarm simulations, hybrid operations, site PPM, site sustenance(fueling), etc. At a time, I was given opportunity to become a full staff and take over as passive/hybrid Engineer. I was not preferred for reasons not clear to me. That had a great effect on me. So, I had an opportunity and traveled to Lagos. First 2months, I landed myself a job that took me around Lagos as a Public Relations Officer to a Travels and Tour company. That was in no way related to my career... But it kept body and soul together. I later got a job as a field Engineer in a home automation company in Lagos. Here I installed CCTV cameras, home cinemas, HDTVs, intercoms, digital doorbells, Sound system that support in-wall, in-ceiling and outdoor speakers with their digital keypads. We also automated lighting using smartbus systems, etc. Now, note that I was paid only N40,000 and I had to wake up at 4AM and got home 11PM most times. I did some other jobs that paid better before I finally landed where I am today. Now, the reason I took out time to write all that lengthy story of my job travails is to pinpoint the fact that You Can Have Experience By Your Own Effort and Sacrifices. I remember having to eat beans and bread, custard and bread...in short, almost everything I ate had to be cemented with agege bread. My cousin marvelled at times at the manner of food I ate - I basically invented some low life type delicacies. At times, I ate just once in a day(probably afternoon). Though I always seized the slightest opportunity to workout. In a country as Nigeria where one has to be highly connected before having a job, merit still works. When I say "merit", I don't mean passing written test in flying colours. In areas like Engineering, you're required to practically rectify, operate, and even make things work(troubleshoot and fix problems). That's the more reason companies and their HR management look to recruit people who have a certain level of experience in the field (or relative). So many a graduate fail to realize this tactics. Or some even know but can't seem to summon up courage to make sacrifices. All they entertain is hope day in day out. I was fortunate enough to have a guide that knew what needed to be done(maybe because he too had a similar background). But it's not the same with everyone. To some not-really-privileged ones, all they need is to swallow their pride and quit saying "I have B.Sc, M.Sc, B.Eng, B.tech, etc." and hold the bull by the horn. Get hold of your destiny. Even though we know that life offers hope, we don't have to fold hands and wait for our hope. Do something while praying, hoping, and staying positive and it definitely will work out.
As an undergraduate, you can make a difference. It's not all about hanging out with friends, connecting with females, being a big boy/girl, posting irrelevant jokes on social media - I dare you to drop that phone and get more serious with your life. Get a mentor, get older friends who are successful, people who have made it in your prospective discipline, and align with them. Remember, Iron sharpeneth iron.
And you that graduated and haven't got yourself any job offer, fix up your life. No one will do it for you. When you wake from your dream of being the richest man/woman in the world, pray, strive and do things that are in line with riches. Start from little.
I always tell myself “I can do all things through Christ who lives in me…” You may not be able to get that funds/loan to do your dream course/training. We know. Live in the moment and make it count while focusing your subconscious on your goals.
Every visionary person, every achiever starts with a dream. But they don't stop there. They make their dreams their Goals. And they go ahead living a life that moves them closer to their goals. I may not be exactly where I always dream of being, but I'm in line. I will love to hear someone inspired by my story say the same thing in a not-too-long time. Mind you, you need the spiritual to succeed in the physical. Know who you are(Purpose). Try your best and the rest will be better. Love always.

Okono, E. O. Connect on LinkedIn:
@Engr. Ememobong Okono, Facebook: Engr. Emi Okodi
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10211703195157028&id=1282132974

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Get The Job Experience ? By Engr. Ememobong Okodi by domejike(m): 1:21pm On Mar 17, 2018
Nice one op

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Get The Job Experience ? By Engr. Ememobong Okodi by 2horsePOWER(m): 6:39pm On Mar 17, 2018
true talk

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Get The Job Experience ? By Engr. Ememobong Okodi by Ibrahim94(m): 8:56pm On Mar 17, 2018
Tnks for the inspiring n Motivating writes up.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Get The Job Experience ? By Engr. Ememobong Okodi by Eminandroid(m): 4:01am On Mar 18, 2018
I'm happy my write up has inspiring effect

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get The Job Experience ? By Engr. Ememobong Okodi by Inijesus(m): 9:02am On Mar 18, 2018
Thanks so much for this piece op, you just said it all...
Despise not the little things of life, they can sure be helpful someday.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

. / Check Out This Slay Queen Muralist/painter In Nigeria, Cera Cerni. / Amazon AWS Certification Courses | AWS Training- Mercury Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.