Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,383 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. (1415 Views)

My Vegetable Garden Is Under Attack: Help / Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? / Vegetable Garden - Fertilizer 101 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. by Operette(m): 8:35pm On Mar 18, 2018
Tried setting traps, mixing chicken feed with Zinc Phosphide rat poison, shooting with stones, all to avail. These squirrels come from our fence down to where we have our garden (ugu, corn, okro) and eat off the soft tip of our ugu when everywhere is quiet.
Sometimes they just do that for fun and leave the broken tip on the ground.
When the corn is mature too they eat off the husks and tassels and pick the seeds.
The way they chop ugu now is driving me nuts.
Using scarecrow seemed to work for a while but recently the scarecrow is there while the still come and do their normal evil and leave.

Please any help will be appreciated, even if it is improving on these methods above.
Don't tell me to smash down the fence ooo smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. by HausaOverlord: 9:08pm On Mar 18, 2018
Those annoying little critters
Re: How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 18, 2018
Don't try poisoning them it will not work reason is that they will perceive d offensive odour and will not eat it.

I faced d same problem three weeks ago, when the squirrels were digging and eating my germinating corn seeds.

I will give you five clues that has worked for me in the past.
just make sure you use three out of the five correctly it will work.

1.I bought odourless poison, mixed it with corn and vegetable oil (high concentration) and planted it.

Results:

They came and dug d geminating poisoned corn, ate it and die.

I replanted my corn again with great success. (it was untouched)

2.You need to scare the squirrels

You need to dress small trees in your garden like human (human decoy), do it in such a way that the wind would be blowing it here and there and up and down.

it will scare d hell out of them to dat extent u won't see them on your farm again.

3.If you have any big dogs like Boerbel, Rottweiler, etc take their urine and sprinkle it on d edges of d farm. it will send them a message that a predator is near by and they will run on perceiving d odour.

4.The Last and the most important one, you need to unweed your garden and remove all d necessary hideouts for squirrels.

5.When next you want to replant your seeds, do not leave a planting mark on the soil of your garden. there is a way thet plant corn without digging d ground and the top soil's surface will appear untouched but my English is too poor to express it.

Don't forget to replant d damaged plants.

Lalasticlala.

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. by manny4u(m): 9:11pm On Mar 18, 2018
Lolz! I don't have a solution to your problem but your story is so funny. Squirrel; Those guys have a reputation of being mischievous and rebellious.
Re: How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Mar 18, 2018
manny4u:
Lolz!
I don't have a solution to your problem but your story is so funny.
Squirrel; Those guys have a reputation of being mischievous and rebellious.

They can be very annoying man, if you plant a rubber full of corns, they will dig them all and eat them all.
Re: How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. by Operette(m): 9:28pm On Mar 18, 2018
Really?, whats the chemical composition of the odorless poison?
Digging up corn made us plant corn thrice last year on the same land. embarassed
Re: How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. by aquila3: 11:47pm On Mar 18, 2018
Onijagidijagan:
Don't try poisoning them it will not work reason is that they will perceive d offensive odour and will not eat it.

I faced d same problem three weeks ago, when the squirrels were digging and eating my germinating corn seeds.

I will give you five clues that has worked for me in the past.
just make sure you use three out of the five correctly it will work.

1.I bought odourless poison, mixed it with corn and vegetable oil (high concentration) and planted it.

Results:

They came and dug d geminating poisoned corn, ate it and die.

I replanted my corn again with great success. (it was untouched)

2.You need to scare the squirrels

You need to dress small trees in your garden like human (human decoy), do it in such a way that the wind would be blowing it here and there and up and down.

it will scare d hell out of them to dat extent u won't see them on your farm again.

3.If you have any big dogs like Boerbel, Rottweiler, etc take their urine and sprinkle it on d edges of d farm. it will send them a message that a predator is near by and they will run on perceiving d odour.

4.The Last and the most important one, you need to unweed your garden and remove all d necessary hideouts for squirrels.

5.When next you want to replant your seeds, do not leave a planting mark on the soil of your garden. there is a way thet plant corn without digging d ground and the top soil's surface will appear untouched but my English is too poor to express it.

Don't forget to replant d damaged plants.

Lalasticlala.
pls could u tell me name of the odourless poison or show the picture, thanks in anticipation for your quick reply.
Re: How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. by Operette(m): 10:46am On Mar 19, 2018
Will Indocide work? Even that is rare these days in med shops.
Re: How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. by Operette(m): 10:47am On Mar 19, 2018
Will Indocide work? Even that is rare these days in med shops.

(1) (Reply)

Cow Horn Black And White We Buy In Lagos09083019256 / Plastic Fish Ponds For Sale / Poultry Farmers, Look Into This Charcoal Briquettes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.