Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,802 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. (1785 Views)

Kenneth Okonkwo Drags Buhari To Court! / Jonathan Dumps Oritsejafor For Oyedepo & Uma Ukpai, Okonkwo blast Oyedepo / Nobody Can Conduct A Credible Election Not Even Jesus, Says Obj (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by revomind(m): 9:50pm On May 02, 2010
Obasanjo blasphemed Jesus, says Okonkwo, Osu, others

* By Sunday Oguntola
* Published Today
* News
* Rating: Unrated
Church leaders across the nation yesterday accused former President Olusegun Obasanjo of blasphemy for declaring that even Jesus Christ cannot contest undisputed elections in Nigeria.

Obasanjo had said last Thursday night at the Leon Sullivan Dialogue on Nigeria held at the National Press Centre, Washington DC, USA that ‘with all due respect, if Jesus Christ could come to the world and be the chairman of INEC, any election he would conduct will be disputed’.

He also said free and fair elections would remain a mirage in Nigeria until politicians are reformed.

Reacting to Obasanjo’s prouncmement, Presiding Bishop of The Redeemed Evangelical Mission (TREM), Bishop Mike Okonkwo, who addressed newsmen at the church international headquarters in Lagos described it as "an insult to Christianity and blasphemy against God".

He expressed disgust at the former president’s penchant for talking down on the Christian faith, recalling how he once called a pastor an idiot during the popular ‘CAN, my foot’ saga in Jos.

Okonkwo assured that if Jesus were to conduct elections in Nigeria, it would not only be credible but also free and fair.

He said, "this Obasanjo is just a frivolous talker. He keeps talking like this because our people are not talking. We Christians like to take too much. What he has said this time is an insult to Christianity. It is dragging the Lord Jesus in the mud. It is a blasphemy and he should be told so’’.

Continuing, the vocal preacher said, ‘the last time he called a pastor an idiot and went behind to apologise. How can he link Jesus to electoral malpractices in Nigeria? If Jesus conducts elections in Nigeria, it would be credible because he is the Lord and knows what to do’.

Reminded that Obasanjo claims to be a born again Christian and even attended Bible College, Okonkwo dismissed him as a ‘baby Christian if he is one at all’. ‘I wonder what kind of Bible College he went to. I wonder those who admitted and taught him. He should sit in a Sunday School Class’’.

He said Obasanjo, if he were to be a member of his church, would ‘be put in foundation class where we can teach him the basics of Christianity’.

Okonkwo called on fellow Christian leaders not to take this insult lying low, and demanded for a retraction and public apology from the former president. ‘He should apologise and we should all speak out this time around,’ he stated.

The fiery preacher said all hope is not lost for credible elections in Nigeria, ealing for the implementation of the Justice Uwais’ report as well as determination on the parts of Nigerians to protect their votes.

In his own reaction, Director of Communciations, Catholic Archdiocese of Lagos, Monsigeur Gabriel Osu, also agreed that Obasanjo’s statement amounts to blasphemy.

He however said he must have been referring to the many complexities and imperfections in the nation.

According to Osu, "I believe he was just trying to say that Nigeria ia too complex where there are many imperfections but what is said is a careless statement that is blasphemous. I however think Obasanjo should not be taken serious. If he is humble enough, he should clarify what he sad and retract it".

General Overseer of The Stone Church, Ibadan, Pastor Alex Adegboye equally carpeted Obasanjo for a "an explosive statement that could set the nation aflame and implies God is limited".

He said Obasanjo has proved his critics right that his Christian credentials are fake and questionable. Except he repents, he said the former president may face the wrath of God.

His words, "This is a man who claims to be a Christian but he lacks respect and honour for Jesus. What he said is absolutely blasphemous. I am not disappointed, but I’m very upset.

"Is that why he conducted the worst elections in this country? I think the time of his judgement is very close because he is taking the God of grace for granted. The cup of his inquity is so full."

He wondered if Obasanjo could have said the same about Mohammed or Allah.

But in his own reaction, rewowned revivalist, Dr Uma Ukpai said Obasanjo must have been misquoted because he "is a Christian and loves the God".

He however said nothing is impossible with God who ‘sits at the centre of the universe and separates the nights from the days without fail".
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 02, 2010
they should all go and sit down before they start acting like extremists

If OBJ offended Jesus it is not up to CAN or anybody to fight on God's behalf.

They should go and learn the meaning of figurative speech.

I totally agree with OBJ. If Nigerian politicians don't change their behaviour even if Jesus Christ comes back to conduct elections it will be disputed.

Because First Those in power will try to rig using instrument of state
while those who loose at the polls will challenge the elections whether it is fair or not.

At the end of the day, the elections will still be disputed.

Please let nobody quote any bible they don't know where it was written when they try to counter my argument. I am an ex-Semnarian and love God or Christ as much as anybody. But folks should understand the limits of religion and christainity.

What do they call that figure of speech again in Literature HYPERBOLE!!!! If pastors or CAN choose not to understand this is what OBJ is doing here then sorry for them.

I am also a Christain and I don't think OBJ has done anything wrong.
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by revomind(m): 10:41pm On May 02, 2010
I understand a lot of people do not like the ex-president but these religious leaders just made themselves look ridiculous.

[/quote] "Reminded that Obasanjo claims to be a born again Christian and even attended Bible College, Okonkwo dismissed him as a ‘baby Christian if he is one at all’. ‘I wonder what kind of Bible College he went to. I wonder those who admitted and taught him. He should sit in a Sunday School Class’’.

Funny, Bishop Okonkwo believes 'levels dey' for christianity.

'He wondered if Obasanjo could have said the same about Mohammed or Allah".[quote]

How can one logically explain this?
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by sjeezy8: 11:08pm On May 02, 2010
lol I know what Obj meant but I wouldnt ahve said it like that, they fact of the matter is that everyone question elections in Nigeria. and its TRUE no matter how upright a person is people will question him.

He said, "this Obasanjo is just a frivolous talker. He keeps talking like this because our people are not talking. We Christians like to take too much. What he has said this time is an insult to Christianity. It is dragging the Lord Jesus in the mud. It is a blasphemy and he should be told so’’.

Continuing, the vocal preacher said, ‘the last time he called a pastor an idiot and went behind to apologise. How can he link Jesus to electoral malpractices in Nigeria? If Jesus conducts elections in Nigeria, it would be credible because he is the Lord and knows what to do’.

Reminded that Obasanjo claims to be a born again Christian and even attended Bible College, Okonkwo dismissed him as a ‘baby Christian if he is one at all’. ‘I wonder what kind of Bible College he went to. I wonder those who admitted and taught him. He should sit in a Sunday School Class’’

I mean some of these religous people in Nigeria are just like . . . . iunno. They should stay out of the news and politics period. There job isnt to judge anyone but to preach the word and leave it to God- who is this pastor to say " we christians take alot" Isnt that the job of being a Christians. or does he not know JESUS TOOK ALOT WITHOUT ANY COMPLAINTS AND LEFT IT UP TO GOD! He should do the same- thats what make us Christians.

We have alot of dumb religous judgmental people in Nigeria- One of Nigerias problems
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by labiyemmy(m): 11:15pm On May 02, 2010
For God's sake, some people's understanding of the english language is very pitiable- the guy wasnt blaming Jesus Christ - he was blaming the politicians - he didnt say the elections will not be free and fair- he said it will be disputed, unless the politicians are reformed, he is mainly talking against the politicians who disputes anything disputable.
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by revomind(m): 12:55am On May 03, 2010
The truth is that its now very fashionable to criticise OBJ. While he has mostly himself to blame for his unpopularity, people should strive to put on their thinking caps while discussing public issues.
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by staticlink: 9:10am On May 03, 2010
its funny how some folks on here are defending objs careless statement, we know how people in nigeria react to the issue of religion. The comparism between jesus and the average nigeria politician is an insult to the highest order.

Then again, the christian religion in itself is a religion of tolerance, i bet if objs statement had been directed at mohammed, we all know what the outcome would be.
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by KnowAll(m): 9:24am On May 03, 2010
[size=14pt]IF the evil genius can conduct the best election in the country how much more Jesus. OBJ is talking from his arse again. [/size]
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by KunleOshob(m): 10:47am On May 03, 2010
As usual Okonkwo as his pentecostal cohorts display their poor level of understanding and simple comprehension of English. OBJ never said Jesus cannot conduct a free and fair election, what he said was that if Jesus came to conduct the election it would still be disputed by Nigerians which is very logical in the first place 50% of Nigerians are not even christians, muslims would even reject him as a credible umpire and if any christian should win they would say Jesus was favouring christians. OBJ was very right, the problem is with Nigerian politicians who are never ready to concede defeat. Whether the election is free and fair or not they would dispute it.
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by 13volts(m): 11:22am On May 03, 2010
@kunleoshob
who told you Jesus was a christain ?
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by princekevo(m): 11:51am On May 03, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]IF the evil genius can conduct the best election in the country how much more Jesus. OBJ is talking from his arse again. [/size]
Tell me about it my brother.
Here we go again OBJ blaming his failures on politicians, as if politicians never existed when IBB conducted an election which the whole Nigeria accept as the most free and fair election. Someone who handpicked Yarasick as the president is now blaming it on Nigerian politic.
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by hatch: 12:06pm On May 03, 2010
Similes, Methaphors, Hyberboles and Oxymorons ! Didn't these PFN people ever treat these figures of speech while studing english language during their school days !  grin    undecided

Gosh see how education standards dropped since the 60's ?
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by KunleOshob(m): 12:47pm On May 03, 2010
13volts:

@kunleoshob
who told you Jesus was a christain ?

I don't recollect anywhere stating that Jesus was a christian, however the christian faith was founded based on beliefs in his teachings and that he is the son of God tongue
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by princekevo(m): 1:06pm On May 03, 2010
KunleOshob:

As usual Okonkwo as his pentecostal cohorts display their poor level of understanding and simple comprehension of English. OBJ never said Jesus cannot conduct a free and fair election, what he said was that if Jesus came to conduct the election it would still be disputed by Nigerians which is very logical in the first place 50% of Nigerians are not even christians, muslims would even reject him as a credible umpire and if any christian should win they would say Jesus was favouring christians. OBJ was very right, the problem is with Nigerian politicians who are never ready to concede defeat. Whether the election is free and fair or not they would dispute it.

This has been the bigest problem of an average Nigerian, twisting the truth to suit their failures.
The big question here should be, was there any credible election conducted by OBJ? We all knows the answer.
The 2007 election was one the worst and most fraudulent election in the history of democracy, which OBJ hiself openly accepted on BBC as not being free and fair. He going back to CNN putting the blames now of Nigerian politicians is jst a disgrace to his age and that title, an elder statesman
Re: Obasanjo Blasphemed Jesus,says Okonkwo,osu, Others. by KnowAll(m): 1:17pm On May 03, 2010
[size=14pt]The Governors are not performing because it has become almost like a birth-right they win 2nd term elections. What Jonathan should do is make votes count.

If votes count, there would be shock results from every nook and crany of Nigeria. It is better than the coronation we have at the moment. Jonathan himself must be prepared to conced to defeat if he runs for the Presidency.[/size]

(1) (Reply)

The Yar’adua We Knew / Lagos Set To Provide Model College In Eti-osa / State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.