Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,855 members, 7,956,222 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:02 AM

Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' (1075 Views)

Buratai Leads Soldiers On Routine Drills In Abuja (Photos) / PHOTO: Nigerian Police To Pay N100m Compensation Over Death Of Lawyer Detainee / President Buhari To Probe Amnesty International Report On Torture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by adconline(m): 12:42pm On Mar 10, 2007
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by Orikinla(m): 2:55pm On Mar 10, 2007
Thank you for posting on this.
I have already reported the news on a foreign news media and the CNN also reported it.
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by Mamajama(m): 3:42pm On Mar 10, 2007
Question who is responsible for the prison condition in Nigeria?

Police or Federal government ?

What is the judicial system doing to make sure people are given fair and just trial?

justice delay is justice denied. Executive, judicial and legislative system is a total failure in Nigeria and the

blame should not just be on the police. what are the senators doing to make sure the prison system is

improve? Nigeria is a Developing country and not America. please tell criminals that do not want to be

subjected to inhumane treatment to refrain from crimes. I have no sympathy for criminals who prey on their

Innocent victims
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by 4Play(m): 4:41pm On Mar 10, 2007
MAMAJAMA:

please tell criminals that do not want to be

subjected to inhumane treatment to refrain from crimes. I have no sympathy for criminals who prey on their

Innocent victims

That seems to presume that most people in Police custody are neccesarily criminals
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by Mamajama(m): 5:07pm On Mar 10, 2007
so police in Nigeria are just going to the streets and picking people are sending them to jail? DUH, How come they havent taken me or any of my friends to jail every time we visit Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by 4Play(m): 5:13pm On Mar 10, 2007
MAMAJAMA:

so police in Nigeria are just going to the streets and picking people are sending them to jail? DUH, How come they havent taken me or any of my friends to jail every time we visit Nigeria?

Oh boy!How long have you lived abroad?

In case you don't know,the Police in Nigeria regularly pick up innocent people on the streets and lock them up.There are 150 million people in Nigeria so am not surprised that some people have not suffered in the hands of police yet

I take it from your posts that you haven't lived in Nigeria for a considerable period yet in recent years.
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by mazaje(m): 5:15pm On Mar 10, 2007
4 Play:

Oh boy!How long have you lived abroad?

In case you don't know,the Police in Nigeria regularly pick up innocent people on the streets and lock them up.There are 150 million people in Nigeria so am not surprised that some people have not suffered in the hands of police yet

I take it from your posts that you haven't lived in Nigeria for a considerable period yet in recent years.
I quite agree with that statement, The nigerian police seriously needs to be overhauled
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by Mamajama(m): 5:16pm On Mar 10, 2007
Player I spend 3 month in Nigeria yearly.  I go to Nigeria Every 4 months for at least 3 weeks, but this topic

is not about me lets get back to the issue. The police is control by the Federal government and the national

assemble. what are they doing and the police service commision to change this devastating cell situations?
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by 4Play(m): 5:39pm On Mar 10, 2007
Nothing functions properly in Nigeria and law enforcement is no exception.You can't have a "first world" justice system in a "third world" country
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by Mamajama(m): 5:50pm On Mar 10, 2007
Bingo so we should stop persecuting the messenger when the master is watching and stealing. What are the senators for? legislature of law. Are they not aware of justice system and the delays? have they come out with strategies to change the process? no the Enjoy immunity and continue to steal.
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by adconline(m): 7:39pm On Mar 10, 2007
we talk as if we no be Naija. Someone calls police on you and you are arrested without a warrant. Police will arrest you for not giving bribe. Police will arrest people for partrolling a neigbourhood. I used to leave near a Sentor's house and every time he's in town there will be lots of arrests just because people were going about their biz. Disputes in Naija are settled by police officers who take bribe from complainant . folks do not go to court.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by Mamajama(m): 8:45pm On Mar 10, 2007
so from your note where does the problem lies? in the police or the people or the government?
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by Icon(m): 10:13pm On Mar 10, 2007
The problem is both from the top and from the bottom. Bottom because many people are already corrupt even before they join the police and Top because the actions of the Leaders themselves encourage such activities. There is no leadership by example, everyone is too busy trying to chop the maximum he/she can before leaving the post and thus don't have time to reform the sectors talk less of the Police.
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by Orikinla(m): 1:00am On Mar 11, 2007
MAMAJAMA,
In 2005, the National Assembly invited Nigerian police officers to tell them their plight and suggest how to solve their problems. And I was very happy, because I thought our lawmakers were wise and I expected the best from them.
They lamented the deplorable state on the Nigerian Police and swore to address the problems. But I have not heard or read anything on the development since 2005 to date.
And when Tafa Balogun was found guilty and jailed for corruption, I was very hopeful of the reformation of the Nigerian Police Force, but I have not seen any progress so far.

I have visited suspects in Nigerian Police cells and I don't even pray for my worst enemy to be kept in the hell called cell at Panti, Alade or Lion's Building police station.
But if you visit our police barracks, you would be shocked by the horrible and terrible living conditions of junior police officers. Because, they are treated like dogs. And they are paid starvation wages.

I have reported the problems to the Minister for Police Affairs, and he replied that the government had plans to reform the Nigerian Police Force. But, what I have been witnessing so far are not reforms.

The Nigerian government is to blame.
And is it not ironical that the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo wrote a book entitled, This Animal Called Man, and he is actually doing nothing to tame these animals in uniform? He is even provoking them to commit more atrocities and later admitted that Nigerian police officers have committed terrible brutalities. But, he has not done anything to stop these brutalities.

May God help us in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Police Torture 'routine' by Mack5ive: 10:53am On Jun 14, 2019
Abeg make una leave our pmb alone

(1) (Reply)

Efcc Arrests Dangote, Naija's Richest Man, Slams 121-count Charge On Nerc Boss / Jos Massacre In Pix And Film / Fresh Jos Killings: 3 Die In Another Sectarian Clashes - Latest News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.