Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,164 members, 7,835,900 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

301 Reps Sponsor Bills To Stop Ajaokuta Steel Company Concession - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 301 Reps Sponsor Bills To Stop Ajaokuta Steel Company Concession (8867 Views)

FG Says It Is Partnering The Russian Government To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Company / Senator Ben Bruce Presented Two Important Bills To Nigerian Senate Today / Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 301 Reps Sponsor Bills To Stop Ajaokuta Steel Company Concession by Jethrolite(m): 10:47am On Mar 23, 2018
seunmsg:
The house of reps is simply being hypocritical with this move. The decision to concession the Ajaokuta steel company was approved by the national assembly and a sum of N2billion was allocated to it in the 2017 budget. Why they are suddenly trying to pressurise the minister to stop the implementation of a law they passed is what I don't understand.

Ajaokuta is a white elephant project that will never be completed by any government. The earlier we face the truth about that company, the better for the country. Government should stop allocating funds to the project. It should be sold off to a more serious private company immediately. Enough of sinking government funds into an unproductive venture.
I'm also not in support of government funding it but Fayemi is concessioning it exclusively to a firm he has vested interest in. He also worked with the firm while he was governor. It is very sad politicians are only out for themselves in this country. The type of stealing that is currently going on now, even Jonathan's people will be amazed.
Re: 301 Reps Sponsor Bills To Stop Ajaokuta Steel Company Concession by davidodiba(m): 12:52pm On Mar 23, 2018
seunmsg:
The house of reps is simply being hypocritical with this move. The decision to concession the Ajaokuta steel company was approved by the national assembly and a sum of N2billion was allocated to it in the 2017 budget. Why they are suddenly trying to pressurise the minister to stop the implementation of a law they passed is what I don't understand.

Ajaokuta is a white elephant project that will never be completed by any government. The earlier we face the truth about that company, the better for the country. Government should stop allocating funds to the project. It should be sold off to a more serious private company immediately. Enough of sinking government funds into an unproductive venture.

I have read your opinion but it does not hold much. Have you been to Ajaokuta Steel complex? No. Have you had any objective knowledge about the plight and potentiality of such mega project which is just 2%away from completion by the original designers? No. Then why not shut up and keep quiet? You won't. I pity you then.
Re: 301 Reps Sponsor Bills To Stop Ajaokuta Steel Company Concession by obailala(m): 12:58pm On Mar 23, 2018
TolaTosin:
so it should be sold to Tinubu.

Bros you can sell aso rock too. Running aso rock is a white elephant expense

What do u think?
Nothing which is managed by government, not a single enterprise operated by government works in Nigeria. So firstly, I think the lawmakers are just playing ostrich on this due to the beautifully delivered speech by Natasha Akpoki.

The truth of the matter is that Ajaokuta Steel, even if completed, will NEVER function profitably under the Nigerian government just like every other government owned enterprise; it will continue to remain a liability to the government forever instead of a profit making venture and billions will be pumped into it just the way successive governments keep pumping money into maintainance of refineries in every budget.

After dissecting the beautifully delivered speech by Natasha, all I could pick out of it was that in the usual Nigerian fashion, a rogue concessioning process was about to be executed with cronies buying off the company at ridiculous prices. In my opinion, what the lawmakers should be focused on should be to ensure that the concessioning should be done in a proper and patriotic manner; the idea to stop the concessioning is ill thought and would ensure ASC remains a metallic scrap yard for life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 301 Reps Sponsor Bills To Stop Ajaokuta Steel Company Concession by ikdaddy01(m): 2:33pm On Mar 23, 2018
When another government come, then we discuss. As for this one, I have since lost confidence in AFiCe and their long stories
Re: 301 Reps Sponsor Bills To Stop Ajaokuta Steel Company Concession by macdot(m): 3:06pm On Mar 23, 2018
truthstands12:
Its quite unfortunate how we desire to be selling off our national assets in the name of incompetence of government to manage them. Where is our pride if we keep selling off all these assets. Leadership is the problem in Nigeria. If you have a competent leader, he gives order that Ajaokuta steel must work in a defined period. He gets a technocrat and competent hand to manage and handle it, and you'll see result. That's how countries of the world who are serious are developing their people. When you privatize, you transfer the wealth to the country that purchases it.

Forget about this pride talk, Nigeria is enshrined in corruption and even if an angel becomes the president tomorrow, he can't handle things alone. He has to go through the ministry and is the ministry free of corruption? Our leaders have failed us yes, but we have failed ourselves as well. Billions have been spent on this project since 1999 but yet no result. Why keep it and keep pumping scarce funds when it can be sold and made into productive use? The fact still remains that government has no business in business. They should only provide the necessary support for businesses to function.

1 Like

Re: 301 Reps Sponsor Bills To Stop Ajaokuta Steel Company Concession by badesco(m): 3:06pm On Mar 23, 2018
Ajaokuta can work with government money if me and you will allow it to work. concession for now will do no good but more harm....if government start it now, may be late, concession it to whoever it pleases...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Femi Adesina: Beware, Merchants Of Fake News On The Prowl / Thousands Of Adamawa Youths Declare Support For Yahaya Bello 2023 / Dapo Abiodun: Ogun To Partner Indonesia To Develop Seaport, Airport, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.