Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,584 members, 7,837,209 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note (1070 Views)

Eleven Steps To Recovering from An Extramarital Affair / Woman Was Married To Two Men At The Same Time In Lagos / Weird News Of The Day::::‘i Watched My Baby Drown In Flood’: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by shadrach77: 3:11pm On May 04, 2010
KADUNA—THERE was confusion in the Kadara area of Sabon Tasha, Kaduna State, weekend, following the death of two young men inside a well.

Sources said the two young men dived into a well, rijia, in the area to recover a missing N1000 bill but did not come out alive.

An Igbo woman was said to be fetching water from the well in the neighbourhood, where her shop is located, when the N1000 note fell into the well. She reportedly asked anybody who could recover the money to do so on the condition that the recovered money would be shared equally.

A source told Vanguard: “A newly married man who was simply identified as Bosofa from the Jabba tribe in the state was resting in front of his house after watching the Chelsea versus Liverpool match on television at about 6.00 p.m on Sunday when some friends called him to try his luck in recovering the missing money to enable him collect N500.

“Bosofa who lived at 7, Kadara Street, reportedly ran to the adjacent street where the money fell into the well and took a fatal dive into the well.”

It was learnt that when Bosofa failed to come out, another youth also dived into the well to rescue him as well as recover the missing N1000 but also got stuck inside.

However, when the two men failed to come out of the well, the husband of the Igbo woman who had earlier advised his wife to forget the missing money raised alarm that attracted neighbours who removed the victims to a nearby hospital where they were confirmed dead.

Landlord sacks couple

The landlord was later invited following the ensuing confusion but he reportedly threw out the couple’s property, claiming that the couple had used the victims for money making rituals.

He was joined by angry youths who tried unsuccessfully to lynch the Igbo couple.

Vanguard gathered that the couple sneaked out to the police station where they took refuge, just as other Igbo neighbours in the area were reported to have gone into hiding following fears of mob attack.

At about 9.00 a.m., yesterday, when Vanguard visited the scene of the incident, policemen in two Operation Yaki vehicles were stationed in the area as some youths milled around smoking substances suspected to be Indian hemp.

One of the police vehicles had registration number AG 108 KJR while the other simply had fleet number 1001 written on both sides.

The policemen, led by an Inspector, were seen picking some items, including photographs from the heap of the property of the Igbo couple including wedding photographs, refrigerators, cupboards, pots and other household items that were seen scattered in front of both their shop and house.

The police at Sabon Tasha declined comments on the matter but Bosofa’s pregnant wife was said to have gone into “forced” labour while the Igbo couple have been detained by the police at the time of filing this report.
Re: Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by Arkhin(m): 3:44pm On May 04, 2010
embarassed embarassed embarassed
I wonder what poverty will turn humans to, how can a grown-up dive into a well to retrieve a mere 500 naira note and then trade it for his own life. I only pity the rescuer who died too. Poverty,
Re: Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 4:01pm On May 04, 2010
nigeria people can do anything for money.i pity the that second guy.and by the way,why do they have to detain the igbo couple?did the woman push him inside the well.they better release them because they have no fault
Re: Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by NnamdiN: 4:49pm On May 04, 2010
How much dem go take bury them?lol
Re: Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 7:30am On May 05, 2010
NnamdiN:

How much dem go take bury them?lol
the money they will use to bury them will be times five,the death course.lol
Re: Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by Sissy3(f): 7:37am On May 05, 2010
very strange sad story. how did the money fell into the well? she was holding it in one hand and drawing water in one hand she didnt put it inside her purse on tie it inside her wrapper?  na wa o
Re: Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by hugooh42(m): 11:53am On May 05, 2010
He actually ran across the street and dashed into the well ,when he aheard about the money.POVERTY at its best.
the police should release the couples they did not commit any crime.
But why would the young men in the neighbourhood want to lynch the couples?Because they are igbos?
Re: Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by Kx: 11:57am On May 05, 2010
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 05, 2010
That's terrible. Poverty kills.

Why didn't the woman go in there herself if she wanted to retrieve the money so badly? Mcheew. Obviously she knew it was dangerous (and I'm sure they knew too, but the money was Bosofa's main focus). I know it's not like she forced him to go in there, but she might as well have done that 'cuz of that tactic of saying she'll split the money in half. . .  And her saying she'll split the money in half's kinda ridiculous. I don't care how poor you yourself are, if someone dives into a well for you to get your money, you need to give them all of it or don't give them any at all. . .because they're risking your life for you -which no amount of money can ever replace (and that's exactly what happened here) and you yourself know it's a dangerous otherwise you would've dived in yourself to get it. Anyways, I'mma stop analyzing. Hope they RIP.

But how are they going to get the men out of that well to give them the proper burial? Or who's going to want to go in there now after two men went in and pretty much perished inside? I do feel the couples should be released. This was just an unfortunate incident. We need to stop this habit of linking everything to rituals, juju or witchcraft when we don't understand something (or when we simply choose not to understand it or see the more reasonable explanation/s for the occurrence). I know those things do exist, without a doubt, but sometimes incidents are just that, incidents. I'm not sure what the Police are doing in their home snapping unnecessary pictures. What they should be doing now is looking into ways to get these men out of that well.

This's a lil' similar to a story in Thailand where two men fell and also died in a well -in April: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/17851/two-men-die-after-fall-into-well-on-pattaya-pig-farm/
Re: Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by wizb: 4:59pm On May 06, 2010
This poverty at work! I feel sorry for Bosofa's wife.
Re: Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by DeepSoul(f): 10:13pm On May 15, 2010
Sad story.
I feel sad for Mrs Bosofa
Re: Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 16, 2010
The blame is entirely on the woman, very greedy woman
Re: Two Men Drown In Well While Recovering N1000 Note by safeact(m): 3:55pm On May 17, 2010
When i saw d caption of d story, i was angered to curse d poster until i noticed it was a dif story. In essence, d same thing has happened in Ebonyi state on d last saturday of d last April 2010 when two bodied gentle men died inside a well. D first man was alleged to hv gone inside d well to clean up d well as he usually does it at every clean up. On d fateful day, d tune of d music was not dsame again as he kept shouting 4 help after he had gone down, in a bid to help d neighbour, another guy went inside and after some time, started screaming 4 help too! ¤ what will u v done if u were to there? Run 4 ur life and allow them to die? My guess is dsame as urs? ¤ So after some minutes, there was hundreds of people there including police officers, fire fighters, hausa men (with their magics) and yet none could venture inside to rescure d two men out of fear! I was opportuned to have visited d state then, when i told them d possible causes of d their being trapped inside d empty well, they never believed me until later then it was already late to save d people. I was chased away by d police and d men guarding d well when i went close to profer a solution. Thank God that i was vindicated. What im saying is that ignorant is one of d problems that sets us back.

(1) (Reply)

Adult Bed Toys / I Need A Good School For My Child / Ur Dad Or Ur Mum, Who Do You Think Contributed Most To Ur Upbring?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.