Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,525 members, 7,816,283 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Efcc Office Burnt Down And Documents Destroyed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Efcc Office Burnt Down And Documents Destroyed (1612 Views)

Magnus Abe's Senatorial Liason-Office Burnt Down By Thugs (PICS) / Saraki’s Wife At EFCC Office Today [photo] / Protesters Block EFCC Office, Want Lamorde Sacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Efcc Office Burnt Down And Documents Destroyed by olafolarin(m): 4:17am On May 05, 2010
The legal unit of the Lagos office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) went up in flames yesterday, with many case files and exhibits burnt.

EFCC Chair Mrs Farida Waziri has ordered a probe into the fire in which no life was lost.

Three offices occupied by lawyers, including the unit’s head, Muslim Hassan, were affected. The offices are on the building’s third floor.

Among the files destroyed are those relating to cases of some troubled bank chiefs whose trial is being held in Lagos.

An official, who pleaded for anonymity, said: "We are particularly worried about the fate of the files and exhibits relating to the bank cases. We are not yet sure how many are affected. But I know some of them must have been affected. It is a sad development."

The cause of the fire, which lasted between 11 am and 12 noon , could not be ascertained.

Lawyers were struggling to salvage what was left of their files and documents after the fire.

Piles of burnt papers, files and broken furniture littered the affected offices.

Head of the Media Unit, Wilson Uwajaren said the cause of the fire was unknown.

In a statement, he quoted Hassan, as saying he (Hassan) was in the office when the fire started. One of Hassan’s colleagues drew the lawyer’s attention to the fire, Uwujaren said.

He confirmed the destruction of documents but, denied knowledge of whether they related to cases involving troubled bank chiefs.

The statement reads: "Work was in full swing on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 after the May Day public holiday at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) office on Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, Lagos with operatives and other staff attending to their duties.

"However, the smooth operation was disrupted when huge smoke started emitting from the legal unit on the third floor of the operations buildings.

"Attempt by staff to put out the fire was unsuccessful as the fire began to spread. The cause of the fire outbreak could not be immediately ascertained. I was just in my office when somebody drew my attention to it, says Mr. Muslim Hassan, head of the Legal Unit.

"However, kudos must be given to the Nigeria Fire Service whose prompt response to our distress call saved the day as they battled successfully to put out the office. At the time the fire was brought under control, three offices in the legal unit had been razed. However, there was no loss of lives".

A statement in Abuja by EFCC’s Head, Media and Publicity Femi Babafemi said Mrs Waziri ordered the probe after being briefed on the incident.

The statement reads:

"The Chairman said that though not much damage was done to the affected facility, she had to ask for a probe of the incident to be able to establish the cause of the fire.

"At about 11:30 am today, Tuesday, three of the 13 offices occupied by the legal unit in our Awolowo road, Ikoyi, Lagos office were affected by a fire outbreak that reportedly started in one of the offices.

"It is however gratifying that the fire was quickly put out through the prompt intervention of men of the fire service in Ikoyi before it could spread to other offices where sensitive case files are kept.

"Members of the public are therefore assured that our case files are safe and secure
Re: Efcc Office Burnt Down And Documents Destroyed by Sike(m): 7:04am On May 05, 2010
Where is ur source pls?
Re: Efcc Office Burnt Down And Documents Destroyed by ndigbo: 8:04am On May 05, 2010
I'm tired of this drama in this God forsaken country! today this, tomorrow that. Just sick! and desperately thinkly of what the solution could be, but found out that the solution lies with us Nigerians. Not only do we need to keep commenting on public forums but we have to go the extra mile in making sure that these fools stop taking us for a ride.
Will the chairperson of EFCC in the person of Mrs. Farida Waziri look us in the face and tell us that she doesn't a thing about the fire. An old witch cries at night a child dies in the morning. How will she explain that when a petition was written against the might madam, her agency gutted fire. God please send us a Jerry Rawlings of Nigeria
Re: Efcc Office Burnt Down And Documents Destroyed by yemmight(m): 9:12am On May 05, 2010
For an organization like Efcc, I will be more disappointed if they have not created another backup apart from that one in Ikoyi.
Re: Efcc Office Burnt Down And Documents Destroyed by kobikwelu(m): 3:33pm On May 05, 2010
For an organization like Efcc, I will be more disappointed if they have not created another backup apart from that one in Ikoyi.

i seriously doubt that, when they are interested in fleecing potential suspects of their hard earned money, travelling outside the country for capacity building and the likes.
Re: Efcc Office Burnt Down And Documents Destroyed by ChiefMarv: 6:36pm On May 05, 2010
I've not seen a country like Nigeria where youths don't want liberate themselves from the hands of these criminals that call themselves our leaders, is planed deal but God will judge them to their generations. As they burn the files to cover themselves God will expose them one Day.
Re: Efcc Office Burnt Down And Documents Destroyed by gidson12(m): 8:16pm On May 05, 2010
yemmight:

i fear o!
Re: Efcc Office Burnt Down And Documents Destroyed by kafanchan: 9:26pm On May 05, 2010
There is definately an insider conivance. God will punish all of them that have hand in this matter. We all know them.
Re: Efcc Office Burnt Down And Documents Destroyed by metalgong5(m): 10:52pm On May 05, 2010
Chief Marv:

I've not seen a country like Nigeria[b] where youths don't want liberate themselves from the hands of these criminals that call themselves our leaders,[/b] is planed deal but God will judge them to their generations. As they burn the files to cover themselves God will expose them one Day.

Are you paralyzed? Why not crawl out from where you live and start the liberation.
Re: Efcc Office Burnt Down And Documents Destroyed by Osama10(m): 3:12am On May 06, 2010
Story, who doesnt know the fire was planned to wipe of certain files and free the culprit.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Plans Design, Launch Of Own Satellites -Dr. Seidu Mohammed / How To Make Private Refineries Viable / Recent Killing Of Igbo's In Northern Nigeria And The Silence Of Igbo Politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.