Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:53 AM

To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? (2319 Views)

Temidayo Joseph, Nigerian Schoolboy Hangs Himself In The UK (pic) / How To Stay Online For 24/7 On Facebook Without Havin Mb Or Data Plan On Your Ph / If You Could Choose To Stay A Certain Age Forever. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by IAH(f): 5:55pm On Jun 10, 2005
To go or to stay?

I don't even know the topic which this thread fits in. Let me direct this question to you...

After graduating from a University in UK, would you go back to Naija to start working or stay here? What is the pay like in Nigeria's blue chip companies(hopefully you will get a job there)? Can it be compared to what you might be getting here? Would it be worth it to go back home?

Please don't talk about patriotism/fatherland/motherland stuff, assume you love Nigeria but you love money more (which is actually true). Let's say you are actually itching to go back to Naija but then you have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages, what do you think would be the best decision from your own point of view?
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by jogego(m): 5:59pm On Jun 10, 2005
what you want ultimately in life will determine your choice. Bottom line, this is a very personal decision and not one to be made on a whim. Would probably help if you draw up a list of pros and cons for both decisions.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by Seun(m): 6:12pm On Jun 10, 2005
If you like money, please do yourself a favor and stay in the UK. You will make more and spend more, and you are likely to be able to save more.

Moreover, you are already used to the system over there. There are many things here that are not the way they should be and are likely to frustrate you. Over there, you pay much less for communications and you don't have to worry about basics like electricity and water supply.

It is really a very simple question. Stay in the UK, please.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by jogego(m): 6:40pm On Jun 10, 2005
Seun:

If you like money, please do yourself a favor and stay in the UK. You will make more and spend more, and you are likely to be able to save more.

Moreover, you are already used to the system over there. There are many things here that are not the way they should be and are likely to frustrate you. Over there, you pay much less for communications and you don't have to worry about basics like electricity and water supply.

It is really a very simple question. Stay in the UK, please.

hnmm small time una go dey talk say make pple come back to build naija
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by Seun(m): 7:18pm On Jun 10, 2005
Yes, but when you come to Nigeria, we expect you to come with lots of money and be ready to spend it to develop the country. If after making your money you decide to come to Nigeria to start a business or something, I'll be here to welcome you.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by jogego(m): 7:33pm On Jun 10, 2005
Investing is not a father christmas venture. If the return on my capital will be say 15% in Europe, then for me to come and invest in Nigeria, I must be able to make at least this much, which would be very doubtful because of the extra capital needed in putting basic infrastructures on ground. To be honest, I'd say stay in the UK myself.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by naijajams: 7:43pm On Jun 10, 2005
IAH:

To go or to stay?

I don't even know the topic which this thread fits in. Let me direct this question to you...

After graduating from a University in UK, would you go back to Naija to start working or stay here? What is the pay like in Nigeria's blue chip companies(hopefully you will get a job there)? Can it be compared to what you might be getting here? Would it be worth it to go back home?

Please don't talk about patriotism/fatherland/motherland stuff, assume you love Nigeria but you love money more (which is actually true). Let's say you are actually itching to go back to Naija but then you have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages, what do you think would be the best decision from your own point of view?

As others have said, this is a very personal decision... there is no blanket answer to this question.

I will say though, you can learn a lot in foreign companies (that imo would be significatnly harder to come by if @ all in naija) and take that knowledge (much like the knowledge you gained @ uni) to come home and apply it.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by naijajams: 7:44pm On Jun 10, 2005
Seun:

Yes, but when you come to Nigeria, we expect you to come with lots of money and be ready to spend it to develop the country.

In my opinion, the wealth does not have to come in the form of money. Intellectual wealth is just as valuable, if not more!
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by Pinky(f): 10:32pm On Jun 14, 2005
Seun:
There are many things here that are not the way they should be and are likely to frustrate you.
Point of correction, Seun: all things here are not the way they should be and they will frustrate you.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by obong(m): 4:07am On Jun 15, 2005
I'm in the same boat, but I plan to return. If the power sector can open up like the telecom sector, I'll be there in a heartbeat.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by whizkid(f): 10:31am On Jun 15, 2005
I say return to Naija, employers of labour in Nigeria like people with an oversea Masters or MBA certificate. To enjoy your stay in Nigeria, you need a very good job with a fat pay and with money in your hands, you have the power to enjoy your life even with the hardship surrounding you. I'll explain, if there is no light, you have a big generator, you don't have to worry about traffic, your car is fully airconditioned and guess what? you are not the one doing the driving 'cos you have a driver e.tc. But when you stay in the UK, yes you earn pounds, but you also spend pounds paying for utilities, you can hardly save unless you have a very good paying job which of course is not easy to come by because of the colour of your skin, yes, racism. So, the choice is yours.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by Seun(m): 11:23am On Jun 15, 2005
So you want him to come here to displace our local graduates from the most lucrative jobs when he has an opportunity to get a job somewhere else?

I support people who are coming back to Nigeria to create jobs for people, but I don't know what to say about people who are coming back to Nigeria to take jobs from people!
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by whizkid(f): 1:13pm On Jun 15, 2005
Seun:

So you want him to come here to [I]displace[/I] our local graduates from the most lucrative jobs when he has an opportunity to get a job somewhere else?

Haba the brother too is Nigerian and should equally have a feel of lucrative jobs in his homeland. Besides, he will only come to head them not displace them smiley. It is called Survival of the fitest.

Again not every body can be an entrepreneur you know.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by twinkledew(f): 3:36pm On Jun 15, 2005
when u look at the advantages u get in nigeria like free TV license, u can turn ur lights on at any period in time, waste as much water as u want, can build ur house(s) etc.
Some people live in the UK and can not point to say this is mine.it is so difficult to own a lot of stuffs in the UK, if u do, it means u r wallowing in pounds. tax rate is so high down here. the more u earn the more u get taxed. it is so crazy and annoying.
have noticed that most people from nigeria are able to pay the international fees but people in the UK can not even pay their fees even tho it is home fees they are paying.
IAH if u want money u can still make it in the UK depend on what sort of job u get.everything is hard work either in the Uk or in Nigeria.
Best of Luck with ur decisions.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by IAH(f): 4:52pm On Jun 15, 2005
Infact, I can't get enough of this forum! You guys are too much! Whizkid and twinkledew just hit the nail on the head. It is very true that you pay through your nose here. Even to own a single car na wahala, paying all sort of taxes, etc. I think it is better to go and take a good job in Naija(Seun, sorry oh) but it has to be with a big company that pays well so that one will have no cause to regret going back home.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by justdman(m): 5:13pm On Jun 15, 2005
IAH i'm with you all the way. However, will only go when I have the job already i.e. not go and start searching for one( no agency or search engine for that to help).

My people, abroad is not a bed of roses unless you're into the ashes or the paper work. From experience its not easy. The job your people do here, they can't do it in Naija. Its only 2 or 3% that have their career job here.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by IAH(f): 5:24pm On Jun 15, 2005
justdman:

IAH I'm with you all the way. However, will only go when I have the job already I.e. not go and start searching for one( no agency or search engine for that to help).

That is exactly my main cause of confusion, that made me start this topic. As in, I know that it is not rosy here and I want to go home but where is the job?
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by obong(m): 11:49pm On Jun 15, 2005
whizkid:

I say return to Naija, employers of labour in Nigeria like people with an oversea Masters or MBA certificate. To enjoy your stay in Nigeria, you need a very good job with a fat pay and with money in your hands, you have the power to enjoy your life even with the hardship surrounding you. I'll explain, if there is no light, you have a big generator, you don't have to worry about traffic, your car is fully airconditioned and guess what? you are not the one doing the driving 'because you have a driver e.tc. But when you stay in the UK, yes you earn pounds, but you also spend pounds paying for utilities, you can hardly save unless you have a very good paying job which of course is not easy to come by because of the colour of your skin, yes, racism. So, the choice is yours.

I want to open a factory so the power sector is improtant. I'm not going to invest if i have to create the basics myself. besides, lack of electricity shows the government isnt serious. when they do thier part, i'll do mine
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by obong(m): 11:51pm On Jun 15, 2005
Seun:

So you want him to come here to [I]displace[/I] our local graduates from the most lucrative jobs when he has an opportunity to get a job somewhere else?

I support people who are coming back to Nigeria to create jobs for people, but I don't know what to say about people who are coming back to Nigeria to [I]take[/I] jobs from people!

Its my country so if I displace anyone else, so be it. Obviosuly the employers believe I can add value and help the country or the company. But since I have no interest in working for anyone no matter where I live, I'm conccerned that the lack of basics, like electricity would hamper any business I want to start
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by justdman(m): 7:32am On Jun 16, 2005
Are we talking of basics only, what of me 10pounds magically becoming 2pounds in a space of hours. local yob actions and religious upheaval, check out what happened in Lagos this week; area boys and drivers which crippled their business for good two days. where do I start, my people no encouragement at all. However, we wouldn't stop fighting because of being shot dead. I'm going to come down someday and be the next Okoyas
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by IAH(f): 12:04pm On Jun 16, 2005
obong:

I want to open a factory so the power sector is improtant. I'm not going to invest if I have to create the basics myself. besides, lack of electricity shows the government isnt serious. when they do thier part, I'll do mine

So you are saying that without stable power supply, you won't open your factory? Then you won't open it in the next 50 years if you are waiting for your government.
What of factories in Nigeria right now that are coping despite the erratic power supply?
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by justdman(m): 9:12am On Jun 18, 2005
IAH
Our people deserve good thing, and I feel Obong is trying to say that these basics should be in place. I know we have generators but its time we consider its side effect; pollution which we should protect our people from
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by Pinky(f): 12:19pm On Jun 18, 2005
justdman:

Are we talking of basics only, what of me 10pounds magically becoming 2pounds in a space of hours. local yob actions and religious upheaval, check out what happened in Lagos this week; area boys and drivers which crippled their business for good two days. where do I start, my people no encouragement at all. However, we wouldn't stop fighting because of being shot dead. I'm going to come down someday and be the next Okoyas
is any1 sure this active guest..justdman... is not residing in a city innigeria?
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by IAH(f): 2:56pm On Jun 18, 2005
Pinky:

is anyone sure this active guest..justdman... is not residing in a city in nigeria?

Pinky, why do you think so?
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by justdman(m): 8:32pm On Jun 22, 2005
Pinky:

justdman link=topic=442.msg5939#msg5939 date=1118903523:

is anyone sure this active guest..justdman... is not residing in a city innigeria?

Haba Pinky, you want take me practice girls toasting. Anyways, I'm still very much searching and as you never get liver reach, comot for corner ask. I wish you luck. Meanwhile, if you dey ask post ya pix put make I know say you no be atutupoyoyo.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by c0dec(m): 4:18pm On Jun 23, 2005
i'm going over to the UK and i ain't coming back. smiley
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 4:49pm On Jun 23, 2005
I didn't read most replies. But i say you should stick your ass to UK. You can always have a buisness in naija. BUt make sure UK is where your main Buisnesss is.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by preetie: 7:07pm On Jun 23, 2005
u guys r talking like you dont know what business is like in the uk,its almost the same thing here and there,england is not heavn, tho things are made very easy, thers still the rich and the poor + the hustlers. neways i cant blame u, u probably dont know!
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 6:14am On Jun 25, 2005
preetie:

you guys are talking like you don't know what business is like in the uk,its almost the same thing here and there,england is not heavn, tho things are made very easy, thers still the rich and the poor + the hustlers. neways I cant blame you, you probably don't know!

I know.. ENgland has it own ups and downs..but nigga please, not like 9ja. If you have and option of choosing btwn 9ja, UK and USA. I will say USA!!! w00t w00t!
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by preetie: 3:44pm On Jun 25, 2005
yeah cos of the free stuff,nd life is made very easy,but apart from the rich,everyone complains,but u probably just go on hols....neways it all depends on where money is flowing.
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by Chxta(m): 12:34pm On Jul 10, 2005
Everyplace on earth has its problems. It is not just about money, it is about where you will feel best in, and for me at this point in time, na Naija. That could change, (let no one tell me because I don't know better), haven't been to the US, but the UK and Canada were deadly cold! undecided
Re: To Stay and Work in the UK or return to Nigeria? by hausachic(f): 8:15pm On Jan 12, 2006
its certainly a very personal decision. I have been contemplating the same question but where do you think you feel the happiest? then write down the pros and cons...(of course include financial stuff and work) that would help. As touch feely as it may sound, where does your heart feel at home?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Project Topic On History Of Nigeria / Debosky, Please Tender Justice With Mercy / ATTENTION Seun Osewa: Afam4ever Has Lost Moral Authority To Be A Moderator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.