Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,415 members, 7,836,663 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections (5198 Views)

Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term / Nicolas Sarkozy Gets 1-year Jail Term For Illegal Campaign Financing / American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by Yuneek(f): 6:00pm On Mar 27, 2018
Dissemination of fake news might begin to earn defaulters some cooling off in jail.

Malaysia’s ruling Barisan Nasional party tabled a bill in parliament on Monday to address ‘fake news’, as the country gears up for national elections.

If the bill becomes law as it stands, those guilty of “creating, offering, or publishing fake news” could be fined over 100,000 dollars and jailed for up to 10 years.

Malaysia is expected to hold national elections soon, and the new law has prompted critics of the government to suspect that it is trying to distract from a scandal involving state fund 1MDB.

Prime Minister Najib Razak has denied allegations of being involved with funds, allegedly from 1MDB, found in his personal bank account, as exposed by foreign media in 2015.

Najib will be contesting the elections against ex-premier Mahathir Mohamad.

The polls must take place before August 24.

https://dailynaija.com/post/govt-proposes-10-year-jail-term-for-fake-news-ahead-of-elections
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by bjayx: 6:02pm On Mar 27, 2018
10 years Na thief
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by ItsMeAboki(m): 6:09pm On Mar 27, 2018
If only this law were to be enacted here; expect many PigDiots to be cooling their heels in the real zoo.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by BruncleZuma: 6:11pm On Mar 27, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by Sammyadexxx(m): 6:12pm On Mar 27, 2018
Ok
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by emperorchedda(m): 6:13pm On Mar 27, 2018
If it's Nigeria Buhari haters will scream infringement on freedom of speech

7 Likes

Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by cescky(m): 6:15pm On Mar 27, 2018
grin

Where are all those Russia supporters spewing trash..

This is Russia New tactics to scatter elections world wide in favour of Pro Russia candidate

China in 10 Years is overtaking US as a world power.. not russia, Russia isnt as strong..so she's using backdoor to weaken other nations..which would lead to less sanctions or Pro Russia policies the same way they did with trump..like I said if US tells Russia to Hush she can't cough... anyways I forgot nairaland is filled with people browsing wtj free data..what do I know and what do they know
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by mclorenzo(m): 6:16pm On Mar 27, 2018
Phweeeh shocked
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by Pharaoh001(f): 6:17pm On Mar 27, 2018
Good!.... Nigeria Government needs to learn and punish all those fake bloggers.
btw.......Malaysia is always ahead when it comes to Punishment..

1 Like

Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by PediakAuthor: 6:19pm On Mar 27, 2018
mis-information can instrumentalize election violence, so it is better for a wise and honest Government to take necessary precautions to curb such future unrest...

I am waiting for Nigeria to take such a matured step as such...

1 Like

Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by heendrix(m): 6:27pm On Mar 27, 2018
shocked

10 year term for just fake news which is common worldwide this is a crime against democracy and I do expect sanctions from America.

this was how syria started
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by madridguy(m): 6:28pm On Mar 27, 2018
tongue
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 27, 2018
That's a good move by the Malaysian govt. Only if Nigeria govt will implement such here ahead of the 2019 election......
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by AuntyAmope(m): 6:36pm On Mar 27, 2018
Jacksmiller abi wetin be that blogger name again, pls don’t near Malaysia o grin grin grin
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by gmoney12: 6:38pm On Mar 27, 2018
odiegwu
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by Xisnin(m): 6:42pm On Mar 27, 2018
cescky:
grin

Where are all those Russia supporters spewing trash..

This is Russia New tactics to scatter elections world wide in favour of Pro Russia candidate

China in 10 Years is overtaking US as a world power.. not russia, Russia isnt as strong..so she's using backdoor to weaken other nations..which would lead to less sanctions or Pro Russia policies the same way they did with trump..like I said if US tells Russia to Hush she can't cough... anyways I forgot nairaland is filled with people browsing wtj free data..what do I know and what do they know
Russia's strength ends with guns and bombs nothing more.

1 Like

Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by Xisnin(m): 6:43pm On Mar 27, 2018
PediakAuthor:
mis-information can instrumentalize election violence, so it is better for a wise and honest Government to take necessary precautions to curb such future unrest...

I am waiting for Nigeria to take such a matured step as such...

waitinggggg
There is nothing matured about the move because the victims will all be oppositions.
If you create fake news praising the party in power, you will be hailed.

1 Like

Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:08pm On Mar 27, 2018
One of the countries I can never live for free. A country where it is unconstitutional to challenge why Islam is the official religion. Is it the toxic racism? Is it the wickedness and religious intolerance.
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by Lomprico2: 8:45pm On Mar 27, 2018
emperorchedda:
If it's Nigeria Buhari haters will scream infringement on freedom of speech

That is what it is!!!
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by lovewahz(m): 9:43pm On Mar 27, 2018
People does not know that malaysia BN have caged everyone..nothing like democrycy in malaysia..when mahatih was the prime minister undee bn,najib was his deputy.now two of them is contesting after najib have finish his second term.i pity them
Re: Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections by Robisky001(m): 10:24pm On Mar 27, 2018
This is the kind of thread you will find Buhari like minds. Irani.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Man Deported From Saudi Arabia For Being Too Handsome (pictures) / Putin Threatens World War 3, Says Russia Could Invade Europe Within Two Days / Nigerian Girl Faces Racist Threat For Winning Uk Beauty Contest.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.