Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting (17320 Views)

Giadom Releases Modalities For APC NEC Meeting / Reasons APC NEC May Sack Oshiomhole, NWC Members On Thursday / The Person Who Leaked Buhari’s Speech Caught - Femi Adesina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Tiwaz2: 6:14pm On Mar 27, 2018
Protocols:

I am delighted to once again welcome you to this National Executive Committee Meeting of our great party. As we usually do, I hope we will take the opportunity of this gathering to resolve outstanding issues and consolidate our plans towards making APC the strongest defender of the interests of our people.

​In particular, I think it is important for me to speak quickly on the contentious issue of the tenure of our National and State Executive Officers. As we all know, a motion was moved at the last National Executive Committee meeting of February 27, 2018, to the effect that when the tenure of the current executives expire in June this year, they should be allowed to continue for one year.

This motion was duly carried by a majority of members present at the last NEC Meeting, even though some of our party members have since spoken up very vehemently against it. Others have even taken the matter to court.

On my own part, I have taken some time to review and seek advise on the resolution. And what I found is that it contravenes both our party Constitution and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

While the APC Constitution, in Article 17(1) and 13.2(B), limits the tenure of elected officers to four years, renewable once by another election, the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria (as amended), in section 223, also prescribes periodic elections for party executives at regular intervals, which must not exceed four years.

Furthermore, Article 31 of our Party Constitution provides that any principal officer wishing to re-contest or contest for another post, must resign from his current post at least one month before the election

​In this circumstance, what is expected of us is to conduct fresh elections, once the tenure of the current executives approaches its end. A Caretaker Committee cannot remedy this situation, and cannot validly act in place of elected officers.

Furthermore, I think if we deviate from the constitutional provisions, we might be endangering the fortunes of our party. If the tenure of our party executives can be legally faulted, then it means that any nominations and primary elections that they may conduct, can also be faulted.

This is not to talk of divisions that would arise, and is already arising within the party, when some of our members feel that they are being denied the right to aspire to executive positions, or that internal democracy is not at play within the party.

I am therefore of the firm view that it is better to follow strictly the dictates of our party and national constitutions, rather than put APC and its activities at grave risk.

Fortunately, we have already approved a timetable for the holding of congresses and elections. I think these should be allowed to go forward and all efforts should now be geared towards making them a great success.

​Once again, I welcome you all to this meeting with the hope that we will promote, always, the highest interest of the party and of our people.

Thank you.

http://www.ngyab.com/2018/03/president-muhammadu-buharis-speech-at-apc-nec-meeting/

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Burukpe: 7:29pm On Mar 27, 2018
Oyegun, how market?

25 Likes

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by jaytee01(m): 7:38pm On Mar 27, 2018
See as Oyegun dey put hands for chin, dey pity himself grin

24 Likes

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
Nice speech
Unfortunately too late.

Buhari has no idea of internal wrangling of petty party politics.

He is still to realise his mistake, let him stay there and be forming Mr Nice guy, at this rate he will not even win APC party primaries.

15 Likes

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by ishowdotgmail(m): 9:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
God continue to bless President Mohammed Buhari and those wishing him well

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by NothingDoMe: 9:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
Trash.

We are waiting for APC national convention. You people cannot dodge forever.

8 Likes

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Buking1: 9:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
igbankwu.com
Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by syndrum(m): 9:24pm On Mar 27, 2018
and you expect me to believe that's all?... en?

1 Like

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by kings09(m): 9:24pm On Mar 27, 2018
Oyegun

1 Like

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Ogbuefienubiaka: 9:25pm On Mar 27, 2018
This speech will not save APC. This government is sinking beyond redemption and failure is certain. Apc is a scam that will not happen again

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by ElChidi: 9:25pm On Mar 27, 2018

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 27, 2018
Looks like BAT won this round...

7 Likes

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Promismike(m): 9:26pm On Mar 27, 2018
Idiotic president. What does he have to say.

Nothing!

Except what is written by his media cows which the idiot himself does not understand.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by GenbIoodykiller: 9:27pm On Mar 27, 2018
Tinubu is a bastard drug dealing vagabond

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Dadurty(m): 9:27pm On Mar 27, 2018
Mad people ....stupid politicians

1 Like

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by spartan50(m): 9:27pm On Mar 27, 2018
Nonsense talk.. Monster buhari

1 Like

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Sweetcollins: 9:28pm On Mar 27, 2018
Never knew he speaks

1 Like

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Bossontop(m): 9:30pm On Mar 27, 2018
undecided
Oyegun ryt now..

7 Likes

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by sweetgala(m): 9:35pm On Mar 27, 2018
Ogbuefienubiaka:
This speech will not save APC. This government is sinking beyond redemption and failure is certain. Apc is a scam that will not happen again

As much as I wish this Buhari/Osinbajo government well the man at the helm of leadership always seem to do too little too late or even worse seem uninterested and acting with no urgency.

This was the same reason Saraki could capture the spirit of the legislature and hold the executive to ransom; for over 8 months now this government has been wanting to change the ministers but it can't because the senate wouldn't confirm them, the boards of several parasternals and FG appointees are yet to be confirmed and the senate is holding out.

It's good he has said this the party can now go into the convention with everyone feeling they have an opportunity

3 Likes

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by hopilo: 9:36pm On Mar 27, 2018
This is the season of confession, the PDP confessed yesterday and ask for our forgiveness for their past mistakes, today the President confess to illegality he was part of during the APC NEC meeting that extended Oyegun's tenure. The president as the chairman of the occasion that day the illegal act was executed just repented today.
The common denominator in both confession of the PDP and PMB is 2019 elections. The fear of Lagos made our president to confess. However we will wait to see how genuine PMB repentance. The last confess on the way about of the IGP that was to be in Benue at a time has shown that PMB only confesses with repentance.
With 2019 coming closer, desperation will produce more drama.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Bobby4090: 9:38pm On Mar 27, 2018
So Tinubu was right all along. Tenure elongation by any kind of means should not be permitted in any democracy.

11 Likes

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Chinagurum1995(m): 9:38pm On Mar 27, 2018
E no happen for that oooo I couldn't believe Mr President Buhari will not president in 2019 E no happen for him oooo we can't accept his beliefs sorry ooo it cannot happened so we need peace for our beloved nation Naija and we shall see if Naija is failed all we need is biafra land by the will of Chukwuokike Abiama. sad undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by spako4(m): 9:44pm On Mar 27, 2018
Hmmmmm
Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by ZarahBuhari: 9:45pm On Mar 27, 2018
[s]
sweetgala:

As much as I wish this Buhari/Osinbajo government well the man at the helm of leadership always seem.ti do too little too late or even worse seem uninterested and acting with no urgency.

This was the same reason Saraki could capture the spirit of the legislature and hold the executive to ransom; for over 8 months now this government has been wanting to change the ministers but it can't because the senate wouldn't confirm them, the boars of several parasternals and FG appointees are yet to be confirmed and the senate is holding out.

It's good he has said this the party can now go into the convention with everyone feeling they have an opportunity
[/s]
Say no more

1 Like

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by ZarahBuhari: 9:49pm On Mar 27, 2018
Everything about this government is nauseating... One of the reasons why I try to avoid thread like this undecided

1 Like

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Smarkie: 9:49pm On Mar 27, 2018
can anything good come out from this set of polithievians

1 Like

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by omohayek: 9:53pm On Mar 27, 2018
Talk about a miracle - for once I agree with Buhari on something! I don't think the man has anything to offer Nigeria in terms of economic growth, but at least on this point he hits the nail on the head: it is nonsense to have a party constitution requiring elections every so often, and to then flagrantly disregard it by extending tenures on a whim. I know that Nigerian politicians generally have no political principles - hence the ease with which they switch parties - but this stunt is simply too much.

6 Likes

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Nobody: 9:53pm On Mar 27, 2018
Chinagurum1995:
E no happen for that oooo I couldn't believe Mr President Buhari will not president in 2019 E no happen for him oooo we can't accept his beliefs sorry ooo it cannot happened so we need peace for our beloved nation Naija and we shall see if Naija is failed all we need is biafra land by the will of Chukwuokike Abiama. sad undecided

What's the meaning of this headache that you wrote?

1 Like

Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Iceman2017(m): 9:56pm On Mar 27, 2018
I bet 90% there can't comprehend what he was saying with his bad intonation.
Re: President Muhammadu Buhari’s Speech At APC NEC Meeting by Ogaezy(m): 9:58pm On Mar 27, 2018
And that was how Dollar dropped from 360 to 182.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Buhari Has Refused To Sign Electoral Act Amendment Bill Thrice / Naja'atu: Peter Obi Is A Movement But Won't Win For Structural Reasons (Video) / Northern Govs In Jonathan’s Camp Are Deceiving Him –shehu Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.