Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,996 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Nnamdi Azikiwe Composed The Biafran Anthem In 1966 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnamdi Azikiwe Composed The Biafran Anthem In 1966 (3291 Views)

Gowon & Awolowo Immediately He Was Released From Prison In 1966 (Throwback Photo / Aguiyi Ironsi & Babangida At A Reception In 1966 (Throwback Photo) / Florence Ajimobi Presenting Flowers To Adeyinka Adebayo In 1966 (Throwback Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnamdi Azikiwe Composed The Biafran Anthem In 1966 by Bede2u(m): 10:11pm On Mar 29, 2018
"Land of the Rising Sun" was the proclaimed national anthem of the secessionist African state of Biafra, in south-eastern Nigeria. The tune was adopted from Sibelius' "Finlandia", and written by Nnamdi Azikiwe.

Land of the rising sun, we love and cherish,
Beloved homeland of our brave heroes;
We must defend our lives or we shall perish,
We shall protect our lives from all our foes;
But if the price is death for all we hold dear,
Then let us die without a shred of fear.

Hail to Biafra, consecrated nation,
O fatherland, this be our solemn pledge:
Defending thee shall be a dedication,
Spilling our blood we’ll count a privilege;
The waving standard which emboldens the free
Shall always be our flag of liberty.

We shall emerge triumphant from this ordeal,
And through the crucible unscathed we’ll pass;
When we are poised the wounds of battle to heal,
We shall remember those who died in mass;
Then shall our trumpets peal the glorious song
Of victory we scored o’er might and wrong.

Oh God, protect us from the hidden pitfall,
Guide all our movements lest we go astray;
Give us the strength to heed the humanist call:
To give and not to count the cost’ each day;
Bless those who rule to serve with resoluteness,
To make this clime a land of righteousness.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Composed The Biafran Anthem In 1966 by Nobody: 10:19pm On Mar 29, 2018
I feel that an independent Biafra and an Independent Oduduwa Yoruba nation along with South Africa would be the 3 most developed Sub saharan African Nations by 2050

My yoruba brothers should wake up. Hausa Fulani cannot lead us to where we want to be.

Nigeria cannot work because of its diversity which always brings agitations and violence.

The more homogeneous a Nation is, the more chances it has of progressing.

U.S was able to progress despite its diversity because it was endowed with rich mineral resources and responsible (mostly British) leadership.

lets stop running round a circle and hoping we will get anywhere. lets support Biafra and Oduduwa...lets support seccession

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Composed The Biafran Anthem In 1966 by Bede2u(m): 10:27pm On Mar 29, 2018
jacksonkennedy:
I feel that an independent Biafra and an Independent Oduduwa Yoruba nation along with South Africa would be the 3 most developed Sub saharan African Nations by 2050

My yoruba brothers should wake up. Hausa Fulani cannot lead us to where we want to be.

Nigeria cannot work because of its diversity which always brings agitations and violence.

U.S was able to progress despite its diversity because it was endowed with rich mineral resources and responsible (mostly British) leadership.

lets stop running round a circle and hoping we will get anywhere. lets support Biafra and Oduduwa...lets support seccession
Yes u are right. I believe that part of our problem is religious and cultural diversity. It was meant to be a strenght...but unfortunately given the African mentality became a weakness. People are inclined to support members of their tribe and/or religion against national interests. The millitary juntas from 1983 to 1999 were able to succeed because northerners backed the govt. The govt eventually led to the collapse of society.
I believe that Hausas will never allow somebody like Buhari rule them for long if Hausa was a soverign nation
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Composed The Biafran Anthem In 1966 by Nobody: 10:33pm On Mar 29, 2018
Bede2u:
Yes u are right. I believe that part of our problem is religious and cultural diversity. It was meant to be a strenght...but unfortunately given the African mentality became a weakness. People are inclined to support members of their tribe and/or religion against national interests. The millitary juntas from 1983 to 1999 were able to succeed because northerners backed the govt. The govt eventually led to the collapse of society.
I believe that Hausas will never allow somebody like Buhari rule them for long if Hausa was a soverign nation
Exactly...look at how Ghana is fast developing. The country will soon become a visa hustle destination for nigerians.

Meanwhile Buhari is commissioning world class terminals.

I never liked the way Nnamdi Kanu insulted my people but the truth is that the young man has a point. We need more bold people like him to lead us out of the mess we see ourselves today. The core north does not deserve the company and brotherhood of the south.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Composed The Biafran Anthem In 1966 by buhariguy(m): 10:41pm On Mar 29, 2018
Nnamdi azikiwe was a great man,
He is not an idiotic pig of Biafra
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Composed The Biafran Anthem In 1966 by selemempe: 10:47pm On Mar 29, 2018
The truth is that even the north will benefit from a divided Nigeria. For now all the oil money they collect from south does not reflect in their people's life. A common northerner is poorer and more malnourished than a common southerner. The fear of the north that a divided Nigeria will mean their demise is false. The only thing is that Nigeria needs to divide peacefully so that the new independent nations can continue to interact and do business without aggression and hate. All the new nations can continue to be part of ECOWAS and continue to use the naira until a time in the future when it would be convenient to change currency.
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Composed The Biafran Anthem In 1966 by gidgiddy: 10:57pm On Mar 29, 2018
jacksonkennedy:

Forget about Oduduwa Republic, the average Yoruba man simply has no sense of self determination. The best the Yoruba nation hope for is for a few high positions in the government of Nigeria and perpetually hope that one day, maybe a thousand years from now, the core North Will have mercy on them and finally give them restructuring.

Igbos are far better than this. We Igbos should forget Yorubas and aspire to our independence from Nigeria
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Composed The Biafran Anthem In 1966 by Bede2u(m): 11:02pm On Mar 29, 2018
gidgiddy:

Forget about Oduduwa Republic, the average Yoruba man simply has no sense of self determination. The best the Yoruba nation hope for is for a few high positions in the government of Nigeria and perpetually hope that one day, maybe a thousand years from now, the core North Will have mercy on them and finally give them restructuring.

Igbos are far better than this. We Igbos should forget Yorubas and aspire to our independence from Nigeria
You might just be right with the bolded. But more importantly is the question - What does the yoruba nation truly want. We know the Hausa fulani wants ethnic domination and islamization of Nigeria. We knw Igbos and Niger Delta tribes want independence. We dont really know what the yorubas want. If u ask them they say 'development'. That is vague...every ethnic group wants development
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Composed The Biafran Anthem In 1966 by Nobody: 11:09pm On Mar 29, 2018
gidgiddy:

Brother pls I am yoruba. My people were independent b4 the British joined us to Nigeria. Many of my people still want to go back to that era of independence. The problem is our leaders and their shortsightedness and greed. Awolowo should have declared western region independent when ojukwu declared Biafra. His ambition to rule a larger Nigeria blinded him to what is best for our people.
Also when june 12 happened, the yoruba nation should have started pushing for independence, but people like Obj and Tinubu prefered their influence in a larger Nigeria than manageable progress under a yoruba nation.

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Arrests Nsima Ekere, NDDC MD / This Online Business Will Make You 5000naira Daily / If You Are Getting Paid To Support Tinubu, Let Us Know! -Says Dr Ope Banwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.