Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,829 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? (1545 Views)

BREAKINGNEWS: Niger State Deputy Governor Musa Ibeto Has Officially Defected To / Jigawa Deputy Speaker Dies In Car Accident / Ondo Deputy Governorship Debate On AIT ..LIVE.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Walert(m): 7:54am On May 06, 2010
Nairalanders,it is no longer news that Jonathan is automatically our president.
Who do you think will become his deputy? Is there any rule that guides the selection of the vice-president under the constitution in this circumstance?
Let us make it very educative.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Walert(m): 7:58am On May 06, 2010
Somebody just called me now that Governor Bukola Saraki is warming up.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Walert(m): 8:18am On May 06, 2010
A crisis is brewing now in Aso Rock over who should be sworn in as Vice-President with Jonathan. This is stalling the whole inauguration process this morning.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Jarus(m): 9:13am On May 06, 2010
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Blazay(m): 9:39am On May 06, 2010
Definitely a northerner.
To keep them happy after being duped by OBJ. cheesy
What an evil genius of a master planner.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by snowdrops(m): 9:42am On May 06, 2010
You guys are giving OBJ too much credit. I dont believe he envisaged this scenario. He only wanted to plant a stooge in Aso rock.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by safeact(m): 9:45am On May 06, 2010
D post could be left vacuum to calm d nation!
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Jarus(m): 9:53am On May 06, 2010
snowdrops:

You guys are giving OBJ too much credit. I dont believe he envisaged this scenario. He only wanted to plant a stooge in Aso rock.
Exactly my belief too.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by bombay: 10:13am On May 06, 2010
You people under rate obj he knew what he was doing right from the start, he set the whole thing up.
I must say he his a real general to the core a master tactician.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by otokx(m): 10:15am On May 06, 2010
Obasanjo knows better.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Gbawe: 10:28am On May 06, 2010
bombay:

You people under rate obj he knew what he was doing right from the start, he set the whole thing up.

This is how we deify averagely intelligent leaders in Nigeria . We go on to surround them with a mythical aura because of desperate actions only Africans will interprete as "master tactics" !!! Did OBJ not crudely seek a third term in demostration of how he wished to carry on leading Nigeria?

Is it then not logical to assume that , in Yar Adua, OBJ was only looking for a stooge who would enable him to lead by proxy?

OBJ is a power-hungry megalomaniac who looted Nigeria severely and crudely.  Same as the likes of IBB and Danjuma. The consideration is simple. Leave power in the hands of those who will ensure you are not jailed for your misdeamours. IBB did same by ensuring the emergence of OBJ in 1999.  OBJ , in similar fashion, only wanted a President who would not probe him or impede his attempt to foist his criminal minions everywhere. Yar Adua acceded to the former (i.e he refrained from probing OBJ)  but resisted the later (he did not let OBJ dominated appointments to public office).
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Bawss1(m): 10:48am On May 06, 2010
bombay:

When will people give up this trait of exaggeration and embellishment? How could anyone envisage that Yarauda would end like this? To say that OBJ knew Yaradua would die in office is a statement of fantasy. I am tired of hearing how great a master planner OBJ is (or IBB for that matter!) Things happen OK. Stop giving OBJ too much credit.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Walert(m): 12:52pm On May 06, 2010
It is still sketchy but current events dictate that the new vice-president is likely to come from the north-central and probably one of the governors might be picked. Sule Lamido of Jigawa State is being widely speculated from a reliable source in the presidency.
North-Central is preferred because Yar'adua is from that zone. Obasanjo is playing a pivotal role on this selection.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by enohj2ee(m): 1:08pm On May 06, 2010
David Mark to combined VP Job and his old job, watch out, to become president by 2011

source

coming soon
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by OAM4J: 1:16pm On May 06, 2010
I will vote for Ribadu as VP
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 06, 2010
Folks OBJ wanted someone who will have his ears in Aso Rock. It is an example of the selfishness of man and the limits of reason, but to suggest that OBJ nominated Yar'adua so that he will die in office is a little over the top.

Meanwhile dont be suprised if Yayale Ahmed emerges VP. He has been Jonathan's most loyal and consistent friend all this while.

Those saying Bukola Saraki is warming up should forget it, this is not a football match. It is not about warm ups!!!! The only man whose decisions and opinion matter most is Jonathan. I don't see how Bukola Saraki will emerge VP.

After coming to Lord over Jonathan while Yar'adua was in Saudi Arabia? Forget Saraki.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Nobody: 1:18pm On May 06, 2010
OAM4J:

Don't u think Nuhu is too emotional for this job? There are a lot other ways Nuhu will be helpful to Nigeria. I will rather have El-Rufai
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:19pm On May 06, 2010
Walert:

certainly not saraki, hes not a core northerner. my guess is mukthar shagari. the current deputy governor of sokoto state and former minister of agriculture.The son of former president shehu shagari.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Pennywise(m): 1:25pm On May 06, 2010
Nuhu Ribadu. He has adequate mental bandwith, right mental attitude, he is a northerner, he is younger than Jonathan (I think), an insider with correct perspective in the war against corruption (Nigeria's dominant achilles heel), he has previously held a high public office and he is familiar with Nigerian bureaucracy with its imperfections.

Negative-He is a non PDP.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Walert(m): 1:31pm On May 06, 2010
OAM4J:

Ribadu does not understand the intrigues in politics. You can never be rigid in politics. He may be honest but "policing" is not equal to good governance.
Pennywise:

Nuhu Ribadu. He has adequate mental bandwith, right mental attitude, he is a northerner, he is younger than Jonathan (I think), an insider with correct perspective in the war against corruption (Nigeria's dominant achilles heel), he has previously held a high public office and he is familiar with Nigerian bureaucracy with its imperfections.

Negative-He is a non PDP.
Nuhu should not be considered at this time. Politics is not only honesty and transparency but selfless service to the nation which encompasses all good attributes.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Pennywise(m): 1:41pm On May 06, 2010
Walert:

Nuhu should not be considered at this time. Politics is not only honesty and transparency but selfless service to the nation which encompasses all good attributes.

In what way has Ribadu been selfish?
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Jarus(m): 1:48pm On May 06, 2010
RICHIE BOI:

certainly not saraki, hes not a core northerner. my guess is mukthar shagari. the current deputy governor of sokoto state and former minister of agriculture.The son of former president shehu shagari.
Muhtar is not ex-President Shagari's son. They are from same village, and I think same family though.

mikeansy:

Folks OBJ wanted someone who will have his ears in Aso Rock. It is an example of the selfishness of man and the limits of reason, but to suggest that OBJ nominated Yar'adua so that he will die in office is a little over the top.

Meanwhile dont be suprised if Yayale Ahmed emerges VP. He has been Jonathan's most loyal and consistent friend all this while.

Those saying Bukola Saraki is warming up should forget it, this is not a football match. It is not about warm ups!!!! The only man whose decisions and opinion matter most is Jonathan. I don't see how Bukola Saraki will emerge VP.

After coming to Lord over Jonathan while Yar'adua was in Saudi Arabia? Forget Saraki.
Exactly. I don't think GJ and Bukola Saraki are that much in good terms.

Walert:

It is still sketchy but current events dictate that the new vice-president is likely to come from the north-central and probably one of the governors might be picked. Sule Lamido of Jigawa State is being widely speculated from a reliable source in the presidency.
North-Central is preferred because Yar'adua is from that zone. Obasanjo is playing a pivotal role on this selection.
Yar'adua is from North-West, not North-Central.

On Ribadu, I was just discussing this with my colleague here who is seriously and emotionally canvassing for a Ribadu Vice-Presidency.
Since Idi-Agbon, the post of VP has largely been figure head, save Atiku that tried to bring vibrancy and some independence to that position.
I don't think Ribadu can do much as a VP. VP seems like a spare tyre position. If not presidency itself, I prefer to see him in EFCC again.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Pennywise(m): 1:50pm On May 06, 2010
Somebody just called me now that Governor Bukola Saraki is warming up

Saraki and Ibori are buddies. Ibori and Jonathan non-buddies. So nothing for Saraki. He may proceed to have a good sleep after warming up.

Besides Saraki is not a core (true) northerner
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Walert(m): 1:53pm On May 06, 2010
@Pennywise -Why did Ribadu flee Nigeria? Why didn't he declare his asset? Why is he afraid of prosecution if indeed he is transparent?
Let us be objective and throw away sentiments.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by OAM4J: 1:55pm On May 06, 2010
mikeansy:

Don't u think Nuhu is too emotional for this job? There are a lot other ways Nuhu will be helpful to Nigeria. I will rather have El-Rufai

I think the guy is more matured now after all he went through recently, sure he now knows better. Nigeria needs someone of his passion and courage.

Walert:

he can warm up forever, he is going nowhere.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Pennywise(m): 1:55pm On May 06, 2010
Jarus:

I don't think Ribadu can do much as a VP. VP seems like a spare tyre position. If not presidency itself, I prefer to see him in EFCC again.

Ribadu can engr critical bills from the presidency in the fight against corruption. Right now the House of Assembly are holding Nigerians hostage in actively preventing these critical legislation against corruption, money laundering, bribery you name it they are all involved.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by OAM4J: 1:59pm On May 06, 2010
Walert:

@Pennywise -Why did Ribadu flee Nigeria? Why didn't he declare his asset? Why is he afraid of prosecution if indeed he is transparent?

What

You didnt follow the case at all, that case was no case. The man declared his assets. he ran out cos the cabal - Aondokia, Ibori et al were after his life.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 06, 2010
Pennywise:

Saraki and Ibori are buddies. Ibori and Jonathan non-buddies. So nothing for Saraki. He may proceed to have a good sleep after warming up.

Besides Saraki is not a core (true) northerner

I am not sure what you mean by the bit in bold but need I remind you that North is based on Geography not based on tribe.

The people of Kwara, Kogi, benue, Plateau are also Northerners all be it on this occassion North Central Geopolitical Zone. They have a right to the Presidency of Nigeria like everyone else.

Bukola may not be picked surely because of his frosty relationship with Jonathan. Lets stop promoting this idea of some being true Northerners while others are not.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Nobody: 2:05pm On May 06, 2010
Walert:

Its pretty clear you have not followed the case.

The Government had no case whatsoever against him. Even the tribunal admitted on 3rd December 2009 that he declared his assets.
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Pennywise(m): 2:17pm On May 06, 2010
mikeansy:

The people of Kwara, Kogi, benue, Plateau are also Northerners all be it on this occassion North Central Geopolitical Zone. They have a right to the Presidency of Nigeria like everyone else.

Bukola may not be picked surely because of his frosty relationship with Jonathan. Lets stop promoting this idea of some being true Northerners while others are not.

He maybe a northerner but he is still a Busola. There is no way Jonathan will give his critics in the north ammos to attack him. And 'Busola' is a very potent ammo. How many notherners know Nigeria geography by the way
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by foyeks2001(f): 9:53am On May 07, 2010
vp position belongs to either north east or north west, north central cannot have it because David Mark(third citizen) is from that zone
so north central is out of it

Pennywise:

He maybe a northerner but he is still a Busola. There is no way Jonathan will give his critics in the north ammos to attack him. And 'Busola' is a very potent ammo. How many notherners know Nigeria geography by the way

not Busola but Bukola
Re: Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? by Gbawe: 11:00am On May 07, 2010
Jarus:

The reason the VP slot is virtually 'do-or-die" amongst some ambitious Northern Politicians is due to how it is expected that whoever becomes VP will probably succeed Jonathan. Those who are touting Ribadu as VP are doing so because they expect him to become President after Jonathan.

I think the choice of Ribadu is an excellent one. He may not be a seasoned politician but his love and passion for Nigeria is undoubted.  We only need to see what he has done since leaving office to note the man's brave, unwavering and unusual belief in a better Nigeria. From interactive lectures with the public and Nigerians in the diaspora to addressing the American congress, Ribadu has not stopped fighting for Nigeria like the revolutionary politicians of old . Highly different to cowardly opportunists like IBB, Danjuma et al who could not even step in to speak up for Nigeria when a wicked cabal hijacked the Presidency recently. In their defence , out of the "old boys', OBJ and , most especially, Buhari were vocal in speaking against the Turai cabal while most who now want to lead Nigeria kept silent or played damaging roles (Saraki, Yugadu, et al) .

Ribadu, in exile , has also become a darling of the West. They like him immensely and will work with him to aid Nigeria's infrastructural development.

Ribadu's bravery cannot be doubted . He snuck into Nigeria , knowing Yar Adua was looking for his head, to pay respect to a dead mentor (Gani). Ribadu has always been detribalised and driven but there is no doubt he is now more mature. Nigeria , at this stage, needs a brave and determined leader who will possess the political will to stand up to the cabals and mafias to implement badly needed reform policies. A "seasoned" politician is likely to be a tainted and compromised politician also.

If some on this forum are arguing for the return of a man who did bad all the time (IBB) why can we not consider the return of a man who did good most of the time ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Was Forced On Us-we Are All Slaves- Chief Fred Omadeli Agbeyegbe: / Ekt Bear: Post Pictures how fashola spend $10 Billion(1.6 Trillion) in 4 years / Boko Haram's 9 Point Agenda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.