Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria (26765 Views)

Cost Of Acquiring Palm Oil Extracting Machine / Cost of Clearing a 40ft Container At Lagos Port? / Buying A House On Mortgage In Lagos, Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by tlops(m): 8:16pm On May 08, 2010
Quote from: axponline on Today at 12:58:51 PM
I live in the US and make > $150,000 a year. I want to move back home. What are the job prospects like. can I make similar (or more money USD only)  in lagos

shilling:

I'm guessing this is a joke. . . if it isn't, then I'm lost for words.

forget that guy na joke. how could u be earning that much and be asking such question. at that point jobs look for you
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by princekevo(m): 8:30pm On May 08, 2010
All the people who criticized the decision of the Nigerian firm to offer employment to the Indian guy should shut the phuck up! Yes. I said it.

This is just a simple reason why some foreign companies might not wanna hire a Nigerian, for you to come to an open forum and tell every one that does not support you opinion to shut their fuc.k up. Not even when you have less clue of what they are talking about. No one is against an American, British, European nor Australian coming to work in Nigeria as an expatriate. The world is a global village we know and i believe the game of international relationship should be a game of give and take. People raised this issues becoz this guy is an Indian, an Asian. Any one who has lived in Asia here will tell you how selfish the Asian government are in terms of giving jobs to foreigners, not even a Nigerian.

Average Nigerian students in US, UK,Europes, Australia can work while studying. How many Nigerian students studying in Asia are allowed work, even those under MBA? You guys said our educational system is so bad, agreed, but we have Nigerians graduates from universities in India and other Asian countries. How many of them are being employed in these countries after graduation? A Friend of mine finshed his MBA here last year, luckily he had a closed one who offered her an appointment, but the immigration refused to approve his working visa. They asked him to leave the country back to his country to work.

I don't know where you have travelled in Asia here, but If those who studied here in Asia are being sent back home to go and work in their country where the job opportunities are limited, would you expect us to clap for the same Asians coming to contend with Nigerians on the lil jobs available in the country.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 8:41pm On May 08, 2010
Liedetect:

Dear Mister Sid,

that Nigeria Company that offered you a consultancy job is the Satan ltd group of companies. They are a well-known evil concern. They are devilish people only seeking a devils advocacy position for the unwitting Indian fool. Take time and study posts on this forum and you will quickly discover that Nigeria is a Hellhole fit only for little demons and demonesses .Quit while the going is good, preferable head for Ghana. Do not trust those who support your hopes because they are not genuine people –the devilish swines – for how can people who daily profess hatred for their fallow countrymen of Igbo, Yoruba, Houser or Fulani  origin suddenly shower you a foreigner with love and encouraging words?
Don’t trust them, don’t come to Nigeria. There are Nigerian demons aplenty capable of doing the job. 

Sincerely Yours

Liedetect

At Sid,

My apologies. Obviously Nigeria is a third world country and like most other third world countries, there are a lot of inadequate infrastructure and facilities unlike in the West.

The quoted poster is a perfect representation of the poor state of our mental health system and institutions. Some like him roam the streets in Lagos in rags and chat rubbish like him but mostly by speaking to self.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Litmus: 8:52pm On May 08, 2010
@ Sagamite (m) or Sodomite

Coonish idiot, go and find atrocious comments made against the Yoruba’s and igbos etc and vent your displeasure and apologies for the indignity heaped on them . The Indian foreigner does not need your help.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 10:03pm On May 08, 2010
Depending on where you plan to stay and work,most telecom companies have their headqauters located in Victoria Island.Its a so call high brow area according to Nigerian standards,just like we have Brandra,Colaba or santacruz or other expensive places in India.The accomadation will be expensive there.

But indians in Lagos have their own neigbour hood in a place call ilupeju or oyadiran estate,You children will be able to attend the indian school and have indian friends.That is where you also have the Indian GOD. Bagwan.The neigbour hood is cheaper than the later.Ther are no trains to move from point A to B,so its bettr to stay near the work place.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 08, 2010
To all Nigerians here,Our educational system is very faulty.We dont provide functional education that will make you function effectively.

We prefer titles to our names so we all want paper degrees.In India were i have been before,each indian as a skill.We all know in Nigeria is not that way,infact people are growing up without any skill or proper education,so why complain.If they advertise job now ,most Nigerians here will provide so many degrees ,but they cannot function.

I often see on the plane white people without degrees but functional education ,which is technical going to owrk in our oil industries.Nigerians see technical people as never do wells.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 11:25pm On May 08, 2010
Litmus:

@ Sagamite (m) or Sodomite

Coonish idiot, go and find atrocious comments made against the Yoruba’s and igbos etc and vent your displeasure and apologies for the indignity heaped on them . The Indian foreigner does not need your help. 

Weeree. Alakori. Oloshi!
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by temmytanny(m): 11:40pm On May 08, 2010
this poster is one of the guys ericsson and barti(new owners of zain)are bringing into the country to learn and displace our naija workers.

we have govt who cant fight for us
shame on them all
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 12:26am On May 09, 2010
temmytanny:

this poster is one of the guys ericsson and barti(new owners of zain)are bringing into the country to learn and displace our naija workers.

we have govt who cant fight for us
shame on them all

Upskill yourself, work hard and add value to the point of being indispensible and you would not have to worry about being displaced.

I am not talking about packing certificates o! I am talking about approach to work and working habits.

Not the typical Nigerian culture of put little in and expect to rip millions on the short term.

Not the typical Nigerian culture of not providing the best possible but instead leaving it at "we don try" quality.

You take a look at our journalists, most need replacing. Are they indispensible? I say Hell No.

Take a look at our "No 6 jersey shouting" crap football commentators instead of researching players' names. Are those kind of people adding value? I say Hell No.

The typical Nigerian mentality towards work is not appealing to a reasonable and progressive employer.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by bidemi12(m): 12:42am On May 09, 2010
Sagamite:

Upskill yourself, work hard and add value to the point of being indispensible and you would not have to worry about being displaced.

I am not talking about packing certificates o! I am talking about approach to work and working habits.

Not the typical Nigerian culture of put little in and expect to rip millions on the short term.

Not the typical Nigerian culture of not providing the best possible but instead leaving it at "we don try" quality.

You take a look at our journalists, most need replacing. Are they indispensible? I say Hell No.

Take a look at our "No 6 jersey shouting" crap football commentators instead of researching players' names. Are those kind of people adding value? I say Hell No.

The typical Nigerian mentality towards work is not appealing to a reasonable and progressive employer.

Abi   oooo. I don shout tire. Most Nigerians do not know that the biggest problem we have as a Nation is the attitude and mentality towards day to day life. the attitude we exhibit towards personal hygiene, personal finance, physical development, social development; and I don’t mean from government. Meanwhile these are the very qualities that reasonable employers are looking for. I wish all Nigerians will have an opportunity to sample other countries to understand what I am talking about. I am ashamed to say I had that same mentality (not suprising since I was born there) but dem no tell me twice before I adjust to the situation. I say again change your mentality and we will move forward as a nation.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 12:58am On May 09, 2010
^^^^

I bet you that those Nigerian football commentators would now come to UK/US and wonder why they can not get similar roles in a place like BBC or Sky sports despite their 20 years experience.

And when they call home they would say the reason for their lack of success is racism.

20 years of commenting and the quality of your commentating is still soul-draining.

Go to Nigerian Embassy and see the working practices and disorganisation.

Go for a Nigerian Concert in London, they will charge you more than you will be charged to see Michael Jackson to see some local act, upon all some of the acts advertised will not show up, and the ones that do, lack of organisation might even ruin the performance, be it lighting or sound check or even the act giving a lacklustre performance not realising he is suppose to have rehearsed an act to blow your mind out for the money charged. You pay £40 and you get a £5 performance.  undecided

You also look at the production team of BEN TV. Shocker!

THE ONLY CHANNEL ON CABLE you would switch to that what is on their listing of programmes to be shown is 50% of the time a completely mismatch with what is being shown.

A NIGERIAN channel that will show a one-hour Ethiopian programme where people are speaking Amharic THROUGHOUT and they will not see the sense in providing a translation subtitle.

The only channel you would be watching and your TV sound/picture quality would be flunctating as they switch between programmes or to advertisement.

AFTER FFFING 7 OR SO YEARS OF BROADCASTING?

They need to line up the leadership team and then shoot them all one by one.  angry

Bloody "E don do, we don try" mentality. And they wonder why people will go to India to hire, when only very few have the right mentality?
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by bidemi12(m): 1:19am On May 09, 2010
i swear you too funny. 40 pounds for 5 pound act. that was too hilarious. That's Naija for you. sometimes i de wonder if e worth am for me to pray make we change our mentality collectively. You can make some serious money in an unorganised environment like Nigeria. Anyway sha for the sake of the the Nation i go continue to de pray. But if dem no wan hear na opportunity for me in the future. grin
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by sulad82i(m): 2:02am On May 09, 2010
@Dem_people

If the people in UK think like you do u think they will ever employ you?
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by sulad82i(m): 2:05am On May 09, 2010
@poster

The offer seems nice and expenses in Lagos will be covered with ur salary.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by mhm(m): 2:39am On May 09, 2010
The company I work for just rolled out a companywide IT application. For the project, the team was constituted by Nigerians, as we all would want. These Nigerians included some from diaspora. One year later, project had overrun, the system was not working and it was story story story.

We went ahead to get three indians and they got the system working in two weeks for half the pay. And boy did they work. They would enter the building and work from morning to night non stop, never complaining about anything. Meanwhile my naija guys, would always be posing that they are consultants, and cant receive less than certain daily rates, while actually not delivering on any of the agreed tasks.

Need I say more. we have a bad educational system and a terrible work culture
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Outstrip(f): 3:16am On May 09, 2010
Not too bad since accommodation, and transport will be be taken care off. I say take it. There is already a huge Indian population in Nigeria. You should not have a lot of problems fitting in. Respect everybody and you will have a great time. Goodluck
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by goldid(f): 4:29am On May 09, 2010
Only used Dreambox to watch channels are so expensive, I think.Because i have more 1 receivers in my home .

Recently I bought a card splitter, it’s really useful to me.
Only needs 1 Card Splitter could sharing to 8 receivers in a household without Internet, each receiver can control and watch my own favourite channels in the meantime.

So I think it’s very economical .
Help me to save money. So I think it’s good.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by temmytanny(m): 4:37am On May 09, 2010
@sagamite
i dont work for zain but i know wats up wit them.those sacked lastyear ,were they not good enough?

the indians coming are brought to learn from the nigerians and they would now be sent back to work directly from india while the naija expert here are relieved of their jobs.
so this isnt a matter of upgrading any skill.its about empowering indians at the expense of nigerians(dats the mission of barti in nigeria).

lastly always think b4 u talk,dont just carry ur mouth and start advising me.

despite that u have skills working in UK,does that guarantee your job?
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 5:14am On May 09, 2010
^^^^^

u see there are far too many idiots talking as if they know what they are saying! people that cant remember what their village looks like!!!

they love to think they know when they dnt!!

almost all the indians i met here in UK never want to go back to India with all the hype!!!

make una carry on!! nonesense

Indians are very racist towards black people
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by mayordy(m): 6:39am On May 09, 2010
Raft beggars in diaspora survive. Sure in ur case wit all these goodies, u will.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by blacksta(m): 7:10am On May 09, 2010
Sagamite:

^^^^

I bet you that those Nigerian football commentators would now come to UK/US and wonder why they can not get similar roles in a place like BBC or Sky sports despite their 20 years experience.

And when they call home they would say the reason for their lack of success is racism.

20 years of commenting and they quality of your commentating is soul-draining.

Go to Nigerian Embassy and see the working practices and disorganisation.

Go for a Nigerian Concert in London, they will charge you more than you will be charged to see Michael Jackson to see some local act, upon all some of the acts advertised will not show up, and the ones that do, lack of organisation might even ruin the performance be it lighting or sound check or even the act giving a lacklustre performance not realising he is suppose to have rehearsed an act to blow your mind out for the money charged. You pay £40 and you get a £5 performance.  undecided

You also look at the production team of BEN TV. Shocker!

THE ONLY CHANNEL ON CABLE you would switch to that what is on their listing of programmes to be shown is 50% of the time a completely mismatch with what is being shown.

A NIGERIAN channel that will show a one-hour Ethopian programme where people are speaking Amharic THROUGHOUT and they will not see the sense in providing a translation subtitle.

The only channel you would be watching and your TV sound/picture quality would be flunctating as they switch between programmes or to advertisement.

AFTER FFFING 7 OR SO YEARS OF BROADCASTING?

They need to line up the leadership team and then shoot them all one by one.  angry

Bloody "E don do, we don try" mentality. And they wonder why people will go to India to hire, when only very few have the right mentality?
Sagamite:

Ol boy you are absolutely spot on -  I have just come back from Nigeria and was staying with a Nigerian friend in a block of flats full of whites , Asians and Arabs all working for Starcomms - on meeting some of the expatriates i came to the conclusion that these people are not better than local talents and had a discussion  with a number of people including my friend on why starcomms is paying a fortune approximately  N5.5 Mill per year for a flat to house each expat worker and does not include the high salary when they could employ local talent and pay much less and we came to the conclusion that the typical Nigerian work ethic is very poor, lacks commitment and lack presentation skills and most companies would rather pay far more to get the job done.

One of the worst channels on sky is ben television considering the channel is surrounded by best practices from other European channels - It is not about packing certificates but more to do with the simple things and it is called " Common sense"
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 7:25am On May 09, 2010
temmytanny:

@sagamite
i dont work for zain but i know wats up wit them.those sacked lastyear ,were they not good enough?

I don't know. Don't work there as well.

But if a company is replacing them with staff that are most likely going to be extra cost as I think average wage of skilled workers in India is higher than that in Nigeria plus the additional transportation and amenities provision cost, then it says a lot about their ability. An ability not desired despite being cheaper.

temmytanny:

the indians coming are brought to learn from the nigerians and they would now be sent back to work directly from india while the naija expert here are relieved of their jobs.
so this isnt a matter of upgrading any skill.its about empowering indians at the expense of nigerians(dats the mission of barti in nigeria).

Is that what is said to each other over the bowl of Isi Ewu pepper soup and a bottle of Gulder in the Naija buka after work to console each other and feel good?

Ride on. Management must be mad to expense so much cost and then replace staff with ones that would increase cost structure but not improve profit figures. I guess that is how Bharti got big and industry dominant, because of fooolish management. undecided

temmytanny:

lastly always think b4 u talk,dont just carry your mouth and start advising me.

despite that u have skills working in UK,does that guarantee your job?

The more you listen to my advice, they better you are equipped mentally and should express some gratitude to me.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 7:32am On May 09, 2010
blacksta:

One of the worst channels on sky is ben television considering the channel is surrounded by best practices from other European channels - It is not about packing certificates but more to do with the simple things and it is called " Common sense"

Thank you.

And some people would be excusing their incompetence by saying it must be due to lack of finance.

No! A lot of things they do wrong is FFFING LACK OF APPLICATION OF COMMON SENSE. So OBE does not have finance issues?

Ben TV is the worst Channel on Sky due to moronic work ethics.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 7:35am On May 09, 2010
To poster, if you are earning $14K in India and being offered $24K with accommodation, transportation etc in Nigeria, you are by far better off in Nigeria.

Don't even think about it, take it.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by davidif: 11:14pm On May 12, 2010
sid sun,

[size=18pt]YOU SHOULD JOIN THIS FORUM FOR FOREIGNERS LIVING IN NIGERIA. THEY CAN GIVE YOU AN OBJECTIVE VIEW OF LIVING IN NIGERIA. [/size]

http://www.oyibosonline.com/html/basics/first/index.html
http://www.oyibosonline.com/sm2/index.php
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by moonraker(m): 5:04am On May 13, 2010
@ poster

You my friend, are very lucky to get that sort of offer, grab it with both yur hands and legs,

God knows that if i had that sort of offer, i will not even think twice, lagos is a cheap place to live in,

much cheaper than india, (all due respect)

On a general beefing note, i ask myself everyday what nigerians go and do in india. these peeps are serious racist,

dem no gbadun, dem come they form developed nation,
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Ranoscky(m): 7:11am On May 13, 2010
@Poster

so many pipu r lukin 4 such opportunity so i don't think u should even think 2wice abt it.

@MOONRAKER

"I ASK MYSELF EVERYDAY WHAT NIGERIANS GO AND DO IN INDIA"

the rate of racist in china is far highier than the racist in india.

and still thousands of nigerians strive to go there

i hate that country 'CHINA' with passion!
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by moonraker(m): 7:36am On May 13, 2010
@ Ranoscky

dont live in china so i wouldnt know, i can only tell that in japan,

descrimination or shd i say racism exists but erm its not that obvious,

you will have to understand them before u can understand their version of

racism,
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Ranoscky(m): 9:07am On May 13, 2010
@mooraker

japan is far more better than china in terms of racism.

china is the worst racism country in the hole of asia.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 11:17am On May 13, 2010
Please can you tell me the company that is employing you in Nigeria, There are alot of IT firms in India why coming to nigeria that has millions of unemployed Graduates, to take away the little they have?
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 12:00pm On May 13, 2010
kayci_d77:

Please can you tell me the company that is employing you in Nigeria, There are alot of IT firms in India why coming to nigeria that has millions of unemployed Graduates, to take away the little they have?

Are you saying there are not millions of unemployed Graduates in India? Please show us the source of the data you used.
Re: Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria by Xeon: 4:35pm On May 13, 2010
NIGERIAN GIRLS ARE HOT TOOO with dat kinda manye ,uv gat dem big ASS hovering tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shopping Center In Aba, Abia Flooded / Aig-Imoukhuede Steps In As Access Holdings Chairman 10 Years After Exit As CEO / Jaruma Empire Tradings Is Officially Registered In Dubai UAE (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.