Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,814 members, 7,862,704 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 12:16 AM

[Opinion]The Rivers State Neighbourhood Safety Corps: why Wike is right (Part 1) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / [Opinion]The Rivers State Neighbourhood Safety Corps: why Wike is right (Part 1) (328 Views)

Hotel Demolition: Sowore Reacts "Wike Is Mad, He’ll Pay For His Sins One Day!" / Mosque Demolition: Wike Is A Pathological Liar - MURIC / Why Wike Was Rejected By Rivers People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

[Opinion]The Rivers State Neighbourhood Safety Corps: why Wike is right (Part 1) by olisemark(m): 1:51pm On Apr 01, 2018
[Perspective] The Rivers State Neighbourhood Safety Corps: why Wike is right (Part 1)

By Enemi Alabo George

- Essence of Neighbourhood Security
- Proactivity, Rather than Reactivity
- Provisions of the Law
- Needless Worries
- Dakuku Peterside’s comments

The recent passage into law of the Rivers State Neighbourhood Security Corps bill (HA.cool, 2018 by the Rivers State House of Assembly has elicited a cascade of reactions, positive and negative, for and against. In considering most of the negative reactions however, I noticed a recurrent decimal, a common factor, that they were borne out of ignorance, misinformation, unnecessary fear or suspicion, which to me is largely inexplicable and deeply surprising. To me and to my mind, anyone who has taken time to study the bill (which is now law) establishing the Rivers State Neighbourhood Security Corps would be glad and grateful to the almighty God, who has made this possible.

Section 14(2b) of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) places as the most important responsibility on the government, the security and welfare of its people. It states thus: “the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government.” Please also recall that Section 13(1) (ibid) states that “it shall be the duty and responsibility of all organs of government and all authorities and persons, exercising legislative, executive or judicial powers to conform to, observe and apply the provisions of this chapter (chapter 2) of this constitution”.

If the above holds true and strong, then permit me to say that the government of Rivers State of Nigeria as is constituted today, has no choice but to protect its citizenry and their belongings. Perhaps, it was in anticipation of this scenario that on March 30th 1981, at the Conference of the Building and Construction Trades Department, AFL-CIO, Ronald Reagan said “government’s first duty is to protect the people…”
In avoiding rhetoric exuberance and complex ebullience, let me dwell slightly on, or emphasize the essence of NEIGHBOURHOOD SECURITY (emphasis deliberate).

Continue reading:
https://atlanticpostng.com/perspective-the-rivers-state-neighbourhood-safety-corps-why-wike-is-right-part-1/
Re: [Opinion]The Rivers State Neighbourhood Safety Corps: why Wike is right (Part 1) by mikolo80: 10:41pm On Apr 01, 2018
lastma, hood safety,vigilante,state police loading

(1) (Reply)

Angry Youths Stone NASS Member In Taraba / Garba Shehu: "Anyone Complaining Of Hunger Should Go And Work'' / PHOTOS: Gov. El-rufai Receives South African High Commissioner To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.