Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,379 members, 7,819,382 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly (16985 Views)

Lateef Omidiji Jr Dropped From AFCON Squad, He Reacts / Sophia Omidiji: My Super Falcons World Cup Dream / Competition Time!!! 'CONTEST AND WIN' With Sophia Omidiji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by Pavarotti: 7:25am On Apr 03, 2018
Exclusive: Holland Based Sophia Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly

Netherlands-based striker, Sophia Omidiji has been invited to the Super Falcons for the upcoming friendly against France this Friday

The eight –time African champions will be up against their French counterparts at the Stade MMArena in the city of Le Mans, France on Friday, 6th April 2018 and Sophia Omidiji has received a late call up to join the squad . . . . http://www.soccerassembly.com/exclusive-holland-based-sophia-omidiji-gets-super-falcons-call-france-friendly/

1 Like

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by naptu2: 6:46pm On Apr 03, 2018
From Sophia Omotola Omidiji

6 Likes

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by naptu2: 6:46pm On Apr 03, 2018
Sophia Omidiji: The story of adopted American girl's dream to represent Nigeria
By Samuel Ahmadu

While many are rooting for the prodigy to impress with the Falconets in Papua New Guinea, reality is that she may have missed the train according to the team's coach.

The story of Sophia Omotola Omidiji, 19, reads like one out of a fairytale.

Adopted as a little child by Lateef Omidiji, a Nigerian living in Las Vegas with his American wife Crystal, Sophia was brought up to love and respect her father’s home country. Her loving grandfather Bili made such a lasting impression on her which helped in making life choices.

In the course of growing up, the young lady took to football, what Americans call soccer, and found joy on the greens with the ball at her feet.

After breaking scoring records at her Sierra Vista High School in Las Vegas, Omidiji caught the eye of local scouts and word got around about her abilities but she did the most surprising thing, she opted to represent the country of her adopted father, Nigeria.

In an October 2015 interview with Goal, Omidiji spoke of her motivation to wear the green and white internationally: “There are many Nigerians abroad that choose to play with the country they were born in. But for me, I've had only one desire and that's to play for the greatest nation on earth and that's Nigeria.”

Omidiji has since been trying to back up her dream, moving to the Netherlands with her family where she now features for the FC Eindhoven Women’s team and she continues to score goals.

This week, Fifa created excitement about the prospects of Omidiji representing her adopted country in a pre-tournament profile of the Nigerian team on its website.

She was named a great asset who could take after Courtney Dike, another American-born Nigerian who starred at the last tournament in Canada.

“Like Dike’s, Omidiji’s father was born in Nigeria, and it is not unlikely that the two could feature together for the Super Falcons in the not too distant future,” Fifa.com wrote.

Despite the growing international interest in her story, Omidiji was not able to convince Nigeria selectors of her ability and is set to be overlooked for the Fifa U20 Women’s World Cup in Papua New Guinea in November.

Reacting to the Fifa recognition of her talent and resolve to play for Nigeria, she expressed doubt about her chances of making a case for inclusiveness during the tournament in four months.

“I'm happy about [the Fifa recognition], of course. I think I can be part of Nigeria’s future. I feel like I can bring a positive attention to women football,” Omidiji told Goal.

“I feel like somebody at Fifa recognizes that I’m a hard worker who has a track record of winning.”

Nigerian teams are known for their imposing physical stature, at 5ft 1in, Omidiji is small but makes up for it with her blistering pace and eye for goal. That was why she scored 38 goals in her final year of high school.

“I know I won't be selected but if I'm selected of course I'm confident in my skills. I know I can help the team. I know I'm not big but I'm technical and fast,” she said.

The Las Vegas-born player declined talking about her biological parents, but stressed her resolve to represent her adopted country, citing her deep affection for Nigeria and the continent.

[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/af/b6/sophia-omidiji_1o1x2i8gj8j7p1tccje38ypw1p.jpg?t=-1117604051[/img]

[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/a9/29/sophia-omidiji_mib7jh5hsvt0zdff6gwwj43z.jpg?t=-1117611403[/img]

“[It's] not something I want to talk about but I thank God for my father and grandparents and in turn Nigeria. Mario Balotelli isn't less Italian because he was adopted. I don't feel less Nigerian because I was adopted,” she said.

“Being adopted isn't something I talk about. I will say this, I may not look Nigerian on the outside but my heartbeat is Nigerian. I don't feel less Nigerian than my younger brother. I have a Nigerian passport along with an American,” she explained.

“In Luxembourg [during Nigeria's recently friendly in May], I met Super Eagles players some told me and my brother that ‘we know of you guys, we support you guys, thanks for choosing our country’. That made me feel good,” she said.

Meanwhile, Falconets coach Peter Dedevbo, applauded her great desire to feature for Nigeria, but admitted he is unsure of her chances, seeing her inability to cope with his side's physical style of football.

“She is a good player and I really love her great desire to play for Nigeria as well as her passion," Dedevbo told Goal.

“That was why I allowed her stay in my camp for nearly four months of our camping for the qualifiers. She is the first player ever to have stayed in my camp that long and not feature in games.

“I really wanted to give her the much needed time for her to adapt to our style of football. I had intention of putting her in some of our qualifying games, but I could not feature her because we had tough and physical matches, which we needed to win and qualify for the World Cup.

“She could not cope. Even though, I really liked her, but I must admit as the coach that her performance during the qualifiers did not measure up to my expectation,” he said.

A European journalist, Adam Volk, hailed the quality of the player after watching her shine in a game for her club and believes she is a great talent to watch out for in Papua New Guinea.

“Members of our team went to see some of her games in Holland for FC Eindhoven and I have to say that your country has a gem on her hands as she is a fantastic player,” acknowledged Volk.

However, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi, the 1st Vice President of the Nigeria Football Federation hailed Omidiji's interest despite admitting no knowledge of her and pledging to take necessary administrative steps to make her dreams come true.

Akinwunmi, who is also the head of the NFF's youth football development department, assured that the federation will always provide the platform for exceptional talents – both at home and abroad of Nigerian origin – to represent their fatherland.

“I’m not aware of her matter,” Akinwunmi told Goal. “But I will immediately take up the matter by meeting the technical department of the NFF and also the head coach of the Falconets to get more details about her.

“We are resolved to ensure that under our watch no player of Nigerian origin is denied a chance of playing for the country due to non-footballing reasons.

“I will hope to have her again and see her and assess her performance and determine if she has what it takes to make the team,” he concluded.

The world loves a fairy tale and Omidiji being listed in the Nigeria team to Papua New Guinea will bring to fore that dreams still come true.

Still, the decision to take the young lady rests on the shoulders of coach Dedevbo who seems to have made up his mind. But hope springs eternal for Omidiji.

“I wanted to make my dad and grandparents proud because I am who I am because of Nigeria. I love Africa so much and my dream is to coach an African team to the World Cup one day,” Omidiji said.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/12072/nigeria-women/2016/07/06/25354242/sophia-omidiji-the-story-of-adopted-american-girls-dream-to

1 Like

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by TheAngry1: 7:10pm On Apr 03, 2018
This story is gaining attention only because the young lady is light-skinned. 17 other girls were invited, why the fuss over Sophia? She is Nigerian like the other girls, but this 'white is right' nonsense mentality no go allow us hear word. That's how Nigerian journalists have written columns, features and editorials with the same running title everywhere-'Oyibo Wall' to describe Leon and Troost-Ekong. Na wetin sef?

7 Likes

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by Ellabae(f): 7:10pm On Apr 03, 2018
Good one
Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by frankmoney(m): 7:11pm On Apr 03, 2018
This is the first female Nigerian footballer I have seen that's fine . The rest are just looking like men

11 Likes

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by sundayakasdy(m): 7:11pm On Apr 03, 2018
Hope it ends well
Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by sheguy(m): 7:13pm On Apr 03, 2018
Some spice will b added to d team jst like eagles
Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by fourhayz: 7:14pm On Apr 03, 2018
Congrats

Raise the flag

Make us proud...

1 Like

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by Abbeyme: 7:14pm On Apr 03, 2018
Is she Nigerian. She doesnt look it.

1 Like

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by naptu2: 7:15pm On Apr 03, 2018

1 Like

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by handsomeyinka(m): 7:16pm On Apr 03, 2018
Who no like nigeria...
Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by abike12(f): 7:21pm On Apr 03, 2018
Congratulations!
Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by CSTR1002: 7:21pm On Apr 03, 2018
Reminds me of my crush,- the American goal keeper Hope Solo .

Until she broke my heart by leaking her nudes.

1 Like

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by nabegibeg: 7:21pm On Apr 03, 2018
Pavarotti:
Exclusive: Holland Based Sophia Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly

Netherlands-based striker, Sophia Omidiji has been invited to the Super Falcons for the upcoming friendly against France this Friday

The eight –time African champions will be up against their French counterparts at the Stade MMArena in the city of Le Mans, France on Friday, 6th April 2018 and Sophia Omidiji has received a late call up to join the squad . . . . http://www.soccerassembly.com/exclusive-holland-based-sophia-omidiji-gets-super-falcons-call-france-friendly/
Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by PinkStarsFallIn: 7:23pm On Apr 03, 2018
U better not come. Nigerian ladies dat know how to beef light skinned people let alone oyinbo.
Dey wee fraustrate u, won ni pass fun è

People like @TheAngry1

3 Likes

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by Biggaboi(m): 7:25pm On Apr 03, 2018
smiley
A white girl choosing to play for Nigeria because her adoptive father is a nigerian. This is very encouraging and good for the image o the country cos it appears Mr. Omidiji, despite not based in Nigeria, has been been teaching the girl positive things about the country as well as by good example. It will be wonderful having a full blooded American playing for Nigeria! I never heard of such before! grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by Our5k(m): 7:27pm On Apr 03, 2018
She looks like my favorite pórn actress. Forgotten her name. undecided
Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by Icon79(m): 7:28pm On Apr 03, 2018
We need more people like her. Women football is entertainment, pure and simple. I am certainly not crazy about most of those yam-invested "men" we dey parade every time. That's why I don't watch sad

O pari

abike12:
Congratulations!
Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by FisifunKododada: 7:28pm On Apr 03, 2018
frankmoney:
This is the first female Nigerian footballer I have seen that's fine . The rest are just looking like men

They are athletes not beauty contestants - olodo

3 Likes

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by konkonbilo(m): 7:29pm On Apr 03, 2018
PinkStarsFallIn:
U better not come. Nigerian ladies dat know how to beef light skinned people let alone oyinbo.

People like @TheAngry1
Lmao cheesy cheesy cheesy. Who tell you say dem no go pass for her?

1 Like

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by femi4: 7:29pm On Apr 03, 2018
Finally, afin don get call up
Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 7:30pm On Apr 03, 2018
frankmoney:

Inferior complex,always licking ass of anything fair.

If I kick you eerrr, you won't stand again.

Now piss off.

1 Like

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by philosophie: 7:37pm On Apr 03, 2018
NgwaManNaija4LF:

Now piss off.
and you posted a picture of a white cat beating up a black cat. can't you see you there's something wrong with you

9 Likes

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by Awoofawo(m): 7:37pm On Apr 03, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin While we dey find way to commot con3....dis one wan com drag paki with local girl...okay o!

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by naptu2: 7:37pm On Apr 03, 2018
Previous thread

NFF Releases Super Falcons Team List For Friendly Against France
https://www.nairaland.com/4425952/nff-releases-super-falcons-team
Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by Pidginwhisper: 7:39pm On Apr 03, 2018
Abbeyme:
Is she Nigerian. She doesnt look it.
If you had taken your tym to read, you no go dey ask questions

1 Like

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by Nobody: 7:40pm On Apr 03, 2018
Nigerians and there love for. white people
Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by Pidginwhisper: 7:41pm On Apr 03, 2018
NgwaManNaija4LF:

Now piss off.
Your meme contradict wetin you write.

3 Likes

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by Pidginwhisper: 7:46pm On Apr 03, 2018
PinkStarsFallIn:

People like @TheAngry1

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by PigMeat: 7:47pm On Apr 03, 2018
frankmoney:
Then u have not seen Francisca Ordega. Francisca is even more beautiful than her.

2 Likes

Re: Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly by naptu2: 7:56pm On Apr 03, 2018
There are a lot of people on this thread who don't really know many Super Falcons players.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alisha Lehmann Leads Instagram Influencers Top 10 List At Women's World Cup / Lionel Messi Equals Pele's Goals Record For One Club With 643 For Catalan Giants / Ronaldo Scores Twice In His First Match On His Return After COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.