Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,224 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" (49545 Views)

Ayo Adebanjo: Why I Will Oppose Tinubu Presidency In 2023 / Ayo Adebanjo: Mass Movement Of Almajirai To South Frightening - Afenifere Leader / Ayo Adebanjo: Like Abacha, God Will Deliver Nigerians From Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by AnotherZik: 10:35am On Apr 04, 2018
Former Lagos governor, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, now national leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Tuesday revealed that he would not have become a governor without the impeccable integrity of a prominent Yoruba and Afenifere leader, Chief Ayo Adebanjo.

Speaking yesterday in Lagos during the launch of a book entitled: ‘Telling It As It Is’, an autobiography commemorating the 90th birthday of Adebanjo; Tinubu said he attended the event particularly to eulogise the good virtues of the elder statesman

The former Lagos governor stated that but for the elder statesman, he would not have become Lagos State governor “because some forces within his party, Alliance for Democracy, AD, at that time had set out to replace him as the party’s candidate fraudulently”.

According to him: “If not because of his honesty and integrity, I would not have become the governor of the state. Adebanjo said no to electoral rigging.

“As the acting chairman of the AD, he said direct primary is the answer-that every registered member must participate in our primary – and when the result came, some people tried to manipulate it and altered the result. Adebanjo stood his ground and said as the acting national chairman of the party, the result of the fair and free primary must be upheld, and that was in my favour.

“If he were corrupt, they were ready to pay him. If he were a corrupt national leader, he would have taken money, compromised the result and submit another name.

Read more: https://newsworth.ng/tinubu-reveals-mentor-made-lagos-governor/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by three: 10:43am On Apr 04, 2018
Sir, look what you did

14 Likes

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by naptu2: 10:46am On Apr 04, 2018
I was a bit surprised to see Tinubu at the event because Chief Adebanjo has been one of his greatest critics since the split in AD, but Tinubu said,

Please continue on your principled path of honesty.

You are a mentor, a political father with whom I can disagree ... you taught me rebellion

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by GworoChewinMaga: 11:47am On Apr 04, 2018
It was Pa Adesanya that made you Governor.

I remember how you used to come every day to Adesanya's Apapa house at Douala rd. to beg for his support and blessing towards your gubernatorial ambition.

16 Likes

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by Ratello: 11:52am On Apr 04, 2018
Like I care?
Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by GworoChewinMaga: 11:54am On Apr 04, 2018
naptu2:
I was a bit surprised to see Tinubu at the event because Chief Adebanjo has been one of his greatest critics since the split in AD, but Tinubu said,

The Alliance for Democracy, AD was an offshoot of NADECO headed by Pa Adesanya.

After Adesanya's death in 2000 or there about, Tinubu wanted to sieze total control of the AD but was ressisted by many NADECO chieftains.

Tinubu will later form Alliance Congress, AC with some AD members.

Under the AC, Tinubu was still scheming to have full control of the party and was met with ressistance by the NADECO vets that crossed over from the AD to AC.

Tinubu will then pull out again from AC to form ACN.

AD, AC are still registered political parties in Nigeria.

It is also important to recall that Tinubu is the only Governor on record to have had 3 deputies in 8yrs.

Anybody that did not bow to him he pushed away.

The story of assassinated Funsho Williams has Tinubu's hand written all over it.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by seunmsg(m): 12:01pm On Apr 04, 2018
GworoChewinMaga:

After Adesanya's death in 2000 or there about, Tinubu wanted to sieze total control of the AD but was ressisted by many NADECO chieftains.

Under the AC, Tinubu was still scheming to have full control of the party and was met with ressistance by the NADECO vets that crossed over from the AD to AC.

It is also important to recall that Tinubu is the only Governor on record to have had 3 deputies in 8yrs.

The story of assassinated Funsho Williams has Tinubu's hand written all over it.

Your history is wack bro. The crisis in AD started long before Adesanya's death. Adesanya did not die in year 2000 by the way.

The crisis started from the party's presidential primary between Bola Ige and Olu Falae. Falae defeated Ige in a very controversial way and the defeat didn't go down well with Ige who felt betrayed by the party elders. Afterwards, there was a split in the party between pro Ige and pro elders (the elders supported Falae against Ige). Emerging leaders then like Tinubu, Akande and some AD governors took side with Ige and even called for the separation of the party leadership from Afenifere leadership. They went further by forming Yoruba council of elders to rival Afenifere.

The crisis went on until Ige was murdered in 2001. The elders then reached an alliance with OBJ over the 2003 election. Tinubu was opposed to the alliance but the elders had their way. The election came and AD lost 5 out of their 6 States. Not surprisingly, Tinubu who opposed the alliance was the only survivor. He rebuilt the party in the south west after the 2003 loss and expectedly took control of the AD political machinery. They elders were relegated as they didn't want to take directives from Tinubu. They became leaders without followers and parted ways with Tinubu. Tinubu moved to AC with the AD machinery and then reclaimed most of the states that were lost to PDP. The rest as they say is now history. I hope you are now better informed?

161 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by GworoChewinMaga: 12:06pm On Apr 04, 2018
seunmsg:

Your history is wack bro. The crisis in AD started long before Adesanya's death. Adesanya did not die in year 2000 by the way.

He died in 2008. But he had become incapacitated almost since the return of democracy.

He played an advisory role and was never active after the 1999 elections.

As you have concurred with me, that the AD crisis started earlier to Adesanya's death, can you tell me why a regional party with mostly Yorubas was in turmoil so early in the democratic era?

9 Likes

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by naptu2: 12:06pm On Apr 04, 2018
GworoChewinMaga:

Re the bit in bold type: It was actually Action Congress.

8 Likes

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by GworoChewinMaga: 12:14pm On Apr 04, 2018
naptu2:

Re the bit in bold type: It was actually Action Congress.

Noted

4 Likes

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by seunmsg(m): 12:22pm On Apr 04, 2018
GworoChewinMaga:

He died in 2008. But he had become incapacitated almost since the return of democracy.

He played an advisory role and was never active after the 1999 elections.

As you have concurred with me, that the AD crisis started earlier to Adesanya's death, can you tell me why a regional party with mostly Yorubas was in turmoil so early in the democratic era?

I have modified my post in answer to your question.

3 Likes

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by ibotic(f): 12:23pm On Apr 04, 2018
I understand that Pa Ayo Adebanjo went to prison with Chief Awolowo....

1 Like

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by Akanbiedu(m): 12:23pm On Apr 04, 2018
GworoChewinMaga:

Scratches head.

How does this epistle relate to the post?

A real Maga like you.

3 Likes

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:23pm On Apr 04, 2018
GworoChewinMaga:

After the merger of Tinubu faction of AD with Justice Party and ACD (or so) and later joined by some PDP defectors led by Chief Audu Ogbeh, Atiku Abubakar, then Adamawa Governor Haruna etc.

In AC Tinubu had complete control as his man Bisi Akande was National Chairman, Lai Muhammed was publicity Secretary and Chief Ajumale Lagos state chairman. He had no crises with Nadeco guys.

Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) was more like a change of name from AC to ACN. The logo and broom remained the same (it was done in 2010 or so).

Please Action Congress is now defunct as it has been taken over by ACN and later APC.

Meanwhile, AD crises started a couple of years before the death of Adebanjo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by GuntersChain(m): 3:14pm On Apr 04, 2018
Politician and lies are like bread and butter.

2 Likes

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 3:26pm On Apr 04, 2018
seunmsg:

The crisis started from the party's presidential primary between Bola Ige and Olu Falae. Falae defeated Ige in a very controversial way and the defeat didn't go down well with Ige who felt betrayed by the party elders. Afterwards, there was a split in the party between pro Ige and pro elders (the elders supported Falae against Ige). Emerging leaders then like Tinubu, Akande and some AD governors took side with Ige and even called for the separation of the party leadership from Afenifere leadership. They went further by forming Yoruba council of elders to rival Afenifere.

The crisis went on until Ige was murdered in 2001. The elders then reached an alliance with OBJ over the 2003 election. Tinubu was opposed to the alliance but the elders had their way. The election came and AD lost 5 out of their 6 States. Not surprisingly, Tinubu who opposed the alliance was the only survivor. He rebuilt the party in the south west after the 2003 loss and expectedly took control. They elders were relegated as they don't want to take directives from Tinubu. They became leaders without followers and parted ways with Tinubu. Tinubu moved to AC and then reclaimed most of the states that were lost to PDP. The rest as they say is now history. I hope you are now better informed?

YCE was in part sponsored by OBJ who in his first tenure did not have the support of the Yoruba leadership.

1 Like

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by paymentvoucher: 3:31pm On Apr 04, 2018
ACTION CONGRESS, DEMOCRACY FOR EVER

3 Likes

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by Firefire(m): 3:31pm On Apr 04, 2018
And how did you repay the kind consensus candidacy?

You rather ensure the splitting of the group to your own selfish interest.

TRAITOR!

5 Likes

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by yeyeboi(m): 3:32pm On Apr 04, 2018
Ok
Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by datola: 3:32pm On Apr 04, 2018
NADECO chieftains.
Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by Hemanwel(m): 3:33pm On Apr 04, 2018
Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by policy12: 3:33pm On Apr 04, 2018
Hmmm, Tinubu its time u take a bow.
Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by Nobody: 3:33pm On Apr 04, 2018
Such is life
Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by ipobarecriminals: 3:34pm On Apr 04, 2018
cool
Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by pastoradebola: 3:34pm On Apr 04, 2018
Is good deed still speak perfectly good..
Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by Bustincole(m): 3:35pm On Apr 04, 2018
We haf hear

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by zombieHUNTER: 3:36pm On Apr 04, 2018
God punish all supporters of dictators

Insha Allah
Amin

1 Like

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by sibepoc(m): 3:38pm On Apr 04, 2018
Politics
Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by allanphash7(m): 3:42pm On Apr 04, 2018
Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (ABAT)

Jagaban of the world
GEJ nightmare
World best
Bogul of boudilion
Ronaldo and messi of Politics

I adoff my head

Weldone sire

3 Likes

Re: Bola Tinubu: "Ayo Adebanjo Made Me Lagos Governor" by Alexk2(m): 3:42pm On Apr 04, 2018
seunmsg:

The crisis went on until Ige was murdered in 2001. The elders then reached an alliance with OBJ over the 2003 election. Tinubu was opposed to the alliance but the elders had their way. The election came and AD lost 5 out of their 6 States. Not surprisingly, Tinubu who opposed the alliance was the only survivor. He rebuilt the party in the south west after the 2003 loss and expectedly took control. They elders were relegated as they don't want to take directives from Tinubu. They became leaders without followers and parted ways with Tinubu. Tinubu moved to AC and then reclaimed most of the states that were lost to PDP. The rest as they say is now history. I hope you are now better informed?
Wow...correct guy. You analyse like Uncle Jide of TVC

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

He Changed The Currency In 1984; He Is Changing It Again In 2022 - Shehu Sani / INEC Bars Douye Diri From Entering Its Headquarters / Why We Won’t Release Kanu, FG Tells Appeal Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.