Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,302 members, 7,815,547 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. (1279 Views)

Ogun IGR Is More Than The Whole South East States Combined - Deji Adeyanju / Nnamdi Kanu's Deceit And The Ignorance Of My IPOB Brethren By Uchechukwu Elechi / Ogun State IGR Is Higher Than The IGR Of The Entire Southeast States--obidigbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by Ofodirinwa: 9:42pm On Apr 04, 2018
Nigeria is the only country where people are actively rooting for high taxation. They have even equate the amount they're taxed to the level of general development and quality of life. Worst, the more money a governor gets from you, the better he's performance. We're lucky this zoo is governed by ignorant people because any government in the world with give it all to have a citizenry that believes it's future is based on how much money can be extracted from them.

Imagine a governor passes a policy to encourage more business by reducing the rate of tax, or make land ownership easier for the poor by taking away any levies on land. He'll be insulted to high heaven by homeless people.

We have too problems

1. people that don't know what development looks like and therefore can't make it happen, this is the majority
2. people who have the wrong idea of what development looks like and will lead us to continued underdevelopment because of their ignorance, these are our 'intellectuals'.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by Ofodirinwa: 9:52pm On Apr 04, 2018
IGR is context.

A state raising it's own revenue is a sign that it's working to be independent of the federal allocation. This is a pitiful thing to celebrate but I do concede that the effort is at least a step in the right direction. But it's a single step, and the remaining steps look different. Not that we will perpetually clap at every new tax the government throws in the mix.

When Lagos posts this years IGR, we will all say that Lagos is doing well. Reasonable, Lagos has and probably will always outperform every portion of west africa as far as commerce in the capacity to generate revenue. But do. not. forget. That increase is coming from a tax on every single landowner in the state. So today we're angry that there's a tax levied on all landowners that's both high and unreasonable. Tomorrow we'll clap at the 'increased IGR'. In this cycle you'll see how the goldfish memory of the 'politically aware' Nigeria is key ingredient of the stew we're drowning it.

IGR is Internally Generated Revenue
If a state chooses to activate it's growth threw government projects (example, Akwa Ibom under Akpabio), an increase in IGR is a good thing to this end. The plus is the government can do more. The minus is the economy can do less. Businesses have less money to operate with, property owners earn less from their property, individuals see less money in their pocket. Tax does not create money, it move it from the hands of people into the hands of the government. This isn't all good, or all bad but it shouldn't be all celebration either.

If a state chooses to activate it's grow through private projects (example, Anambra under Obi), a decrease in IGR is a good thing to this end. This plus is the private sector can do more. The minus is the government can do less. Business have more money to operate with, property owners earn more, individuals see more money in their pocket.

So where Akwa Ibom build several new schools, higher IGR would be good to this end. Where Anambra privatized almost all of it's school, lower IGR would be good to this end. Taxation is a balancing game, not a march toward victory.

If you feel that businesses are dying, and there's no money on the ground, stop celebrating IGR online. If you feel that the government is cash strapped and needs more revenue, continue celebrating, but know what you're doing.

3 Likes

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by unohbethel(m): 11:36pm On Apr 04, 2018
jeez since i was born, as a yoruba i was led to believe that high igr is always good eg ogun..but still all around me, people are worst off it..getting more poor inspite of d record igr's..this thread is really an eye opener...anambra people i hail una industriousness despite una low igr

3 Likes

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by Rochas2023: 6:49am On Apr 05, 2018
unohbethel:
jeez since i was born, as a yoruba i was led to believe that high igr is always good eg ogun..but still all around me, people are worst off it..getting more poor inspite of d record igr's..this thread is really an eye opener...anambra people i hail una industriousness despite una low igr

This is not a Yoruba matter, the op is trying to tell us the advantages and disadvantages of IGR

5 Likes

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by HiddenShadow: 7:14am On Apr 05, 2018
Ofodirinwa:
IGR is context.

A state raising it's own revenue is a sign that it's working to be independent of the federal allocation. This is a pitiful thing to celebrate but I do concede that the effort is at least a step in the right direction. But it's a single step, and the remaining steps look different. Not that we will perpetually clap at every new tax the government throws in the mix.

When Lagos posts this years IGR, we will all say that Lagos is doing well. Reasonable, Lagos has and probably will always outperform every portion of west africa as far as commerce in the capacity to generate revenue. But do. not. forget. That increase is coming from a tax on every single landowner in the state. So today we're angry that there's a tax levied on all landowners that's both high and unreasonable. Tomorrow we'll clap at the 'increased IGR'. In this cycle you'll see how the goldfish memory of the 'politically aware' Nigeria is key ingredient of the stew we're drowning it.

IGR is Internally Generated Revenue
If a state chooses to activate it's growth threw government projects (example, Akwa Ibom under Akpabio), an increase in IGR is a good thing to this end. The plus is the government can do more. The minus is the economy can do less. Businesses have less money to operate with, property owners earn less from their property, individuals see less money in their pocket. Tax does not create money, it move it from the hands of people into the hands of the government. This isn't all good, or all bad but it shouldn't be all celebration either.

If a state chooses to activate it's grow through private projects (example, Anambra under Obi), a decrease in IGR is a good thing to this end. This plus is the private sector can do more. The minus is the government can do less. Business have more money to operate with, property owners earn more, individuals see more money in their pocket.

So where Akwa Ibom build several new schools, higher IGR would be good to this end. Where Anambra privatized almost all of it's school, lower IGR would be good to this end. Taxation is a balancing game, not a march toward victory.

If you feel that businesses are dying, and there's no money on the ground, stop celebrating IGR online. If you feel that the government is cash strapped and needs more revenue, continue celebrating, but know what you're doing.

For years I have being warning Yorubas not to equate high IGR based on tax to development but their financial ignorance keeps deceiving them until lekki & land high levies reset their brains.

A wise government will aim at policies that enable people, businesses and investments to earn more and spend less so as to enable them survive outside the government.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by Ovamboland(m): 8:30am On Apr 05, 2018
See envy and ignorance display in abundance.

Even in ordinary estate it's far better to collect centrally security dues and waste levy than leave the money in individual pocket.
Everyone handling his security and waste collection can never be efficient. But good security and clean environment makes for better living experience and higher property value for token dues payed.

States with higher IGR can raise financing for huge public projects since the ​ability to pay is clearly demonstrated. For example which of the low IGR states can raise money for a $1bn project that is clearly easily possible in Lagos.

Moreover apart from low population and resource awash countries like in the middle East, all other rich countries collect, 30 - 40% of GDP as tax while very poor countries Nigeria inclusive manage to collect 1 - 6% .
You can choose which category you wish to belong.

I am sure the OP will happily relocate to the rich countries and pay the high taxes with thanks to God good life. You forget some people sacrificed by paying the taxes even when there was no infrastructure. Yet you feel smart even suggesting we can have better public life with less tax collection.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by trillville(m): 8:31am On Apr 05, 2018
@op Nigeria has the lowest Tax to gdp ratio on earth at 6% of GDP. the next country to Nigeria has a rate of 10 percent. As a result, Nigeria has one of the lowest budgets per citizen on earth, hence the rampant poverty.

Nigeria is also one of the most unequal countries in terms of income distribution. Lamido sanusi lamido proclaimed as the CBN governor that 10% of Nigerians control 95% of money in the banks. Keep in mind that 10% equates to about 18 million people. The remaining 162 million account for only 5% of deposits.

Recently, Bill Gates adviced the government to improve human capital development. He advised that government should increase taxes and invest more in health care, education, agriculture and provide loans to lower income people. The implications of these suggestions is that Bill Gates is trying to reduce poverty in Nigeria by redistributing the wealth of the nation. Basically, tax the rich to feed the poor. Today Nigeria is ranked the country with the highest number of people living in extreme poverty on earth.

Other advantages of taxes (IGR) are that it forms a social contract between the leaders and the lead, it can be used to change bad behaviours, it increases government's ability to get funding for development and it would lead to a massive growth in the GDP in developing countries.

Leaders become more accountable to their citizens because leaders need their citizens to trust that their funds would be judiciously spent. If government siphons people's money, the people would become reluctant to pay further taxes.

Taxes can be used to change unwanted behavior in our society such as reducing nepotism in employment and destructive corruption. In 2015, England initiated a tax on polythene bags with an aim of reducing pollution caused during the production, use and disposal of polythene bags. Nigerians tend to be inherently corrupt and we love the high life. The use of progressive taxes on things like cars, houses and phones may reduce our effizy culture.

When government has a higher amount of revenue, government can also increase it's borrowing which should lead to infrastructure development.

An average electricity of 6 hours a day, gives us a bill of about 4 thousand a month which we struggle to pay. If electricity is increased to 24 hours would we be able to pay 16 thousand per month? This accounts for why Nigeria would never have 24 hours electricity. With higher taxes on the rich, government would build better schools and healthcare facilities. We would be able to withdraw our children from expensive low quality private schools thereby increasing our disposable income enabling us to use a higher proportion of our income on our bills. Both the rich and the poor suffer from inadequate electricity. The solution to our problems is to increase the wealth of our people.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by trillville(m): 8:34am On Apr 05, 2018
Ovamboland:

Even in ordinary estate it's far better to collect centrally security dues and waste levy than leave the money in individual pocket.
Everyone handling his security and waste collection can never be efficient. But good security and clean environment makes for better living experience and higher property value for token dues payed.

States with higher IGR can raise financing for huge public projects since the ​ability to pay is clearly demonstrated. For example which of the low IGR states can raise money for a $1bn project that is clearly easily possible in Lagos.

Moreover apart from low population and resource awash countries like in the middle East, all other rich countries collect, 30 - 40% of GDP as tax while very poor countries Nigeria inclusive manage to collect 1 - 6% .

I am sure the OP will happily relocate to the rich countries and pay the high taxes with thanks to God good life. You forget some people sacrificed by paying the taxes even when there was no infrastructure. Yet you feel smart even suggesting we can have better public life with less tax collection.

Chai you summarize my long write-up with much fewer words. Nice to read smart comments effectively written.

2 Likes

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by Ovamboland(m): 9:38am On Apr 05, 2018
trillville:

Chai you summarize my long write-up with much fewer words. Nice to read smart comments effectively written.

Abi! when you think you have heard it all, someone comes with a new low.
We just can't keep quiet while the people are been confused and misled

1 Like

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by Ofodirinwa: 3:27pm On Apr 05, 2018
Ovamboland:

Two things

1. Must every project be a public project? Nigeria has left both real estate and policing in the hands of the government. If you had a populace that built it's own estates when the money is available, what would shrinking the money supply through taxation do?

2. Some rich countries pay high taxes (Sweden) some pay low (The US). Will you confidently tell me that the US isn't in good hands?

I'm trying to teach you something that has been been understood by anyone that has gone to a non-colonial school and you're telling me it's ignorance. In the US there are two parties. One that's pro tax/government project (democrat) one that's anti tax/pro private project (republican). Both of them govern well and function with their ideologys

but note, the pro tax parties doesn't even brag about collecting more and more taxes the way ideology poor nigerian 'intellectuals' and 'governors' do

4 Likes

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by Ovamboland(m): 10:32am On Apr 06, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

Two things

1. Must every project be a public project? Nigeria has left both real estate and policing in the hands of the government. If you had a populace that built it's own estates when the money is available, what would shrinking the money supply through taxation do?

2. Some rich countries pay high taxes (Sweden) some pay low (The US). Will you confidently tell me that the US isn't in good hands?

I'm trying to teach you something that has been been understood by anyone that has gone to a non-colonial school and you're telling me it's ignorance. In the US there are two parties. One that's pro tax/government project (democrat) one that's anti tax/pro private project (republican). Both of them govern well and function with their ideologys

but note, the pro tax parties doesn't even brag about collecting more and more taxes the way ideology poor nigerian 'intellectuals' and 'governors' do

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_to_GDP_ratio

USA tax to GDP ratio - 26%
Nigeria tax to GDP ratio - 6.1%

Afghanistan - 6.4%
Sudan - 6.3%
Yemen - 7.1%

If that's the company of countries you wish your countries to keep good luck to you. Poverty is the common denominator in this group.

Tax break only makes sense where the tax to GDP ratio is a reasonable figure. If the government wants to stimulate consumer purchase for instance, a 10% reduction in taxes will impact USA economy by 2.6% while the impact on Nigerian economy will be 0.6%.
The government will have to cut it's revenue by 50% to have a similar impact like USA.

Even cooperatives understand the usefulness of pulling resources together to run great projects. The stock market is another example of pulling resources together to execute huge business instead individual Mom and Pop business.

Cutting taxes in the USA under Republicans oftentimes results in budget deficit that has added in no small measure to the huge national debts. Obama had a very hard time cleaning up the mess left behind by the Republican George Bush

1 Like

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by Ofodirinwa: 12:41am On Apr 07, 2018
Ovamboland:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_to_GDP_ratio

USA tax to GDP ratio - 26%
Nigeria tax to GDP ratio - 6.1%

Afghanistan - 6.4%
Sudan - 6.3%
Yemen - 7.1%

If that's the company of countries you wish your countries to keep good luck to you. Poverty is the common denominator in this group.

Tax break only makes sense where the tax to GDP ratio is a reasonable figure. If the government wants to stimulate consumer purchase for instance, a 10% reduction in taxes will impact USA economy by 2.6% while the impact on Nigerian economy will be 0.6%.
The government will have to cut it's revenue by 50% to have a similar impact like USA.

Even cooperatives understand the usefulness of pulling resources together to run great projects. The stock market is another example of pulling resources together to execute huge business instead individual Mom and Pop business.

Cutting taxes in the USA under Republicans oftentimes results in budget deficit that has added in no small measure to the huge national debts. Obama had a very hard time cleaning up the mess left behind by the Republican George Bush

You're being deceptive. I checked your link and the countries with the lowest rates have 1 thing in common: oil. Plus, among the richest country in the world. You're wrong about them being the poorest.

United Arab Emirates 1.4
Kuwait 1.5
Equatorial Guinea 1.7
Oman 2.0
Qatar 2.2
Libya 2.7
Chad 4.2
Bahrain 4.8
Burma 4.9
Saudi Arabia 5.3
Angola 5.7
Congo, Republic of 5.9
Iran 6.1
Nigeria 6.1

Again, I'm not saying that tax is bad. I explicitly spelled out the benefits of a higher IGR. I'm saying that IGR is not development the way Nigerians think it is. I've never seen a civilian populace that celebrates it's own taxation the way Nigerians do. If it were an ideological thing,I would understand but it's not and that's proven by the fact that we complain when the tax comes (lagos land tax for example) and lament when it's gone.

We know that the government can do in this country, we know that the private sector can do

Would you rather use NITEL or Glo/MTN?
Would you rather go to a public or private school?
Who has more steady power, businesses or government buildings?

So why celebrate taking money out of the private sector and into the public sector when we know what country we're in?
Also, you need to understand that Nigeria is actually overtaxed. Nigerians are double taxed on everything taxable, triple taxed at times. Taxed for things that don't work and things we'll never us.

4 Likes

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by Qiiiii: 10:19pm On Apr 07, 2018
unohbethel:

You posted this a while ago. Didn't you?

unohbethel:
jesus! so u are not yoruba but u know all the ancestral lands of the yorubas but u didnt know weda igbos have ancestral land outside se? hey afonja why cant u proud of ur tribe? dont u know thats its even u that shul read history?

Low self esteem na im go kill una. Dem swear for una? Is it a crime to be proud of being flat+headed?

"since I was born as a yoruba" lmao.

"anambra people i hail una industriousness despite una low igr"

The shithead even hyped his state. grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by Ovamboland(m): 10:36pm On Apr 07, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

You're being deceptive. I checked your link and the countries with the lowest rates have 1 thing in common: oil. Plus, among the richest country in the world. You're wrong about them being the poorest.

United Arab Emirates 1.4
Kuwait 1.5
Equatorial Guinea 1.7
Oman 2.0
Qatar 2.2
Libya 2.7
Chad 4.2
Bahrain 4.8
Burma 4.9
Saudi Arabia 5.3
Angola 5.7
Congo, Republic of 5.9
Iran 6.1
Nigeria 6.1

Again, I'm not saying that tax is bad. I explicitly spelled out the benefits of a higher IGR. I'm saying that IGR is not development the way Nigerians think it is. I've never seen a civilian populace that celebrates it's own taxation the way Nigerians do. If it were an ideological thing,I would understand but it's not and that's proven by the fact that we complain when the tax comes (lagos land tax for example) and lament when it's gone.

We know that the government can do in this country, we know that the private sector can do

Would you rather use NITEL or Glo/MTN?
Would you rather go to a public or private school?
Who has more steady power, businesses or government buildings?

So why celebrate taking money out of the private sector and into the public sector when we know what country we're in?
Also, you need to understand that Nigeria is actually overtaxed. Nigerians are double taxed on everything taxable, triple taxed at times. Taxed for things that don't work and things we'll never us.

You're still confusing yourself with this anti tax thing. I've expressed the point of the low population and resource awash countries which featured prominently in your list. These are countries who have lot's of cash with few people and don't need to tax their people to raise money for development. Take away the oil and most of them are gone. You even managed to include Chad, Congo and Burma, what a great company to keep.

USA also house huge companies like GE, Boeing, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, why have they not handed over the country to them?

Why do you think the government funds public education in virtually All the advanced countries? While we foolishly turn our elementary education to a for profit motive system where the poor get rubbish education, but our children must still work with them. I am not surprised you're celebrating this stupidity of our system.

You think everything in life can thrive with profit motive of private sector? Maybe there will be no road to your village today until the tolls you all can pay justify building one.

Nigerians are over taxed yet you posted with your own hands that our government collects only 6.1% of GDP as tax while that list shows fast growing countries doing 20% and some advanced countries doing over 40%. Do you really understand the ramifications and meaning of tax to GDP ratio? Do you know the high collection is paid by human being, some payed by Nigerians living in those countries?
So which is which?

1 Like

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by Ofodirinwa: 12:36am On Apr 08, 2018
Youre post has too many inaccuracies to address but ill pick a few.

1. Im not anti-tax, im anti tax = development
2. In the US the government provides roads, schools, mail service, and facilities for governance. In Nigeria government is in real estate, builds religious centers, schools, universities, pays for pilgrimages, builds factories, builds hotels, builds farms, mines, is trying to build ranches, provides power, builds roads, builds amusement parks, builds conference centers. I can go on.

So the task of actual governance gets 5% of governments attention. All of this a result of not knowing what governing means.

So then Lagos taxes home owners to support this madness, and someone will clap because of IGR. Instead of pulling more money and more duties away from the private sector, why not learn to privatize all of the things youre wasting the current budget on?

As long states are building amusement parks and hotels i wont be happy to see them getting more money. If your uncle spends all if his money on alcohol and girls you think giving him more money will help his children?

Our government does know what governing is, and now we're all condemned by thw ignorance. We're witnessing the beginning of not know what development is and were applauding. In 25 years when you're being taxed at a rate of 25% by governments with furniture allowances that build churches and mosques you'll understand what im telling you

1 Like

Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by HiddenShadow: 3:01am On Apr 08, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

Two things

Yorubas can never learn accurately when it comes to finance/economics.
Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by HiddenShadow: 3:05am On Apr 08, 2018
Ofodirinwa:
Youre post has too many inaccuracies to address but ill pick a few.

1. Im not anti-tax, im anti tax = development
2. In the US the government provides roads, schools, mail service, and facilities for governance. In Nigeria government is in real estate, builds religious centers, schools, universities, pays for pilgrimages, builds factories, builds hotels, builds farms, mines, is trying to build ranches, provides power, builds roads, builds amusement parks, builds conference centers. I can go on.

So the task of actual governance gets 5% of governments attention. All of this a result of not knowing what governing means.

So then Lagos taxes home owners to support this madness, and someone will clap because of IGR. Instead of pulling more money and more duties away from the private sector, why not learn to privatize all of the things youre wasting the current budget on?

As long states are building amusement parks and hotels i wont be happy to see them getting more money. If your uncle spends all if his money on alcohol and girls you think giving him more money will help his children?

Our government does know what governing is, and now we're all condemned by thw ignorance. We're witnessing the beginning of not know what development is and were applauding. In 25 years when you're being taxed at a rate of 25% by governments with furniture allowances that build churches and mosques you'll understand what im telling you

I pity them when Odua Republic is set up and run based on high taxation.
Re: Pause The Ignorance For A Minute And Tell Me What IGR Is.. by boldaslion: 10:12pm On Apr 08, 2018
HiddenShadow:

Yorubas can never learn accurately when it comes to finance/economics.

That's why Kemi Adeosun is implementing voodoo economics.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Police Put Dino Melaye In Handcuffs While 'unconscious' On Hospital Bed(photo) / Breaking: APC Suspends Senator Shehu Sani / Happening Now:biafra Women Storm Owerri Waiting For Python Dance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.