Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX (20994 Views)

Poll: Which would be the best to own in Nigeria (for 5 years)?

Porsche Cayenne: 30% (28 votes)
Lexus RX 350: 19% (18 votes)
Audi Q5: 18% (17 votes)
BMW X3: 22% (21 votes)
Acura MDX: 8% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Benz vs BMW vs Audi: Pure German Machines! / Which One Wins?: BENZ C Class Vs BMW 3 Series (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by LRNZH(m): 10:03am On May 08, 2010
Guys help me out with this one.
I am in the states and looking to import one of these SUV for my personal use in Lagos.

Which would you advise base on
performance
reliability
fuel requirements (RON etc)
maintenance (cost & mechanic issues lol)
etc

Technical details are welcome
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by LRNZH(m): 10:13am On May 08, 2010
Btw u are allowed to suggest other SUVs. I considered the Toyota FJ Cruiser which I think is made for 'Nigerian roads' but I struggle to imagine how I can withstand its exterior look and very base interior for more than 6 months.
I am surprised we don't see the Lexus RX models in Nigeria since they are closest to being the midsize SUV with the most value for money here in the states.
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by gen2boi: 10:25am On May 08, 2010
I wld suggest X5, its got all the features you required
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by cchioke: 1:40pm On May 08, 2010
porsche all the way muscle suv
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by Shock(m): 2:02pm On May 08, 2010
Porsche!
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by obojo(m): 6:26pm On May 14, 2010
Porsche has d most boring interior ever, very bland , if its d latest mdx ur talking about , go for it d car is loaded with functions , bluetooth and d works, d lexus is d easiest to maintain though
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by LRNZH(m): 2:50am On Jun 01, 2010
I think the MDX is great too. I wonder if Honda dealerships in Naija can also stock parts / assist with its maintenance.
The way Toyota handles Lexus.
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by Sprumbaba: 4:09am On Jun 01, 2010
Pls, go for MDX. It is cheaper to maintain compared with the others you listed. See, cost of maintenance is the king when it comes to auto.

A friend driving Benz in Nigeria was told to register is Benz for 200,000 and the repair cost of what is troubling the Benz is 400,000. That will be 600,000. When I even priced the component in the US for him from Benz Dealers, it was $1,400.
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by LRNZH(m): 4:16am On Jun 01, 2010
Thats a fair point.
One other issue with the MDX is the recommended premium fuel requirements.
I think Nigerian fuels would have an octane rating similar to American regular 87 or so.
Premium is 91. I've heard about certain fuel additives but I need to be clarified on that.
How will this affect the MDX engine performance and longevity in Nigeria?
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by Nobody: 6:19am On Jun 01, 2010
Private JET all the way homie.
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by Youngichou(m): 6:21am On Jun 01, 2010
@ porter please how do you create that topic here
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by CarlosVent(m): 7:51am On Jun 01, 2010
I tink lexus is nice for the bad nature of our roads.
bt all d same a simple car other dan all these wil b good to avoid kidnap
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by Ranoscky(m): 8:31am On Jun 01, 2010
@OP, buyin any of doz cars is lyke buyin more xpensis, i'll advice u to go for a simple and comfortable ryde. thanx!
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by rasputinn(m): 8:51am On Jun 01, 2010
BRT nko? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by arsenal4va(m): 9:21am On Jun 01, 2010
l.
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by hackney(m): 10:39am On Jun 01, 2010
^^^^ Yes. i'd say go for the toyota land cruiser.
It is the most durable in my opinion as far as naija roads are concerned.
The newer models seem to have all the interior desirable too.
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by Catchfire1: 11:00am On Jun 01, 2010
Audi Q5 all the way!!!

Love that car.

Thats a cars that describes a person.
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by megastu(m): 11:44am On Jun 01, 2010
until siena makes his submission,
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by sultaan(m): 12:03pm On Jun 01, 2010
Before you get one of those "I have money" truck, get a 2002 Grand Cherokee limited as a backup @ around $6k, compared to your first choice.
Just in case the boys want a share of your money.

Since you have a US connection, parts are very cheap average $60 compared to a $1400 Merz part.If you need to drive something luxurious, and capable of handling Nigerian roads without raising unwanted attention get  the Jeep, a N1m backup is not expensive when you'll need around N600k for a visit to Coscharis in you X3, your Porsche/Audi becomes a luxurious apartment for rodents,Lexus and Acura gets driven on sunday only or when you feel like playing Russian roulette.

Think of the worst thing that could happen with all of your choices and have a backup plan which could be as simple as a RAV.
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by sultaan(m): 12:21pm On Jun 01, 2010
megastu:

until siena makes his submission,

The question here is simply what is the best luxury SUV for Nigerian roads?

The fact is that some offroad capability is built into these truck, they are not made to run(permanently) on Nigerian roads(Abuja excluded).
Suspension is set up to drive smooth on highway, handle some sidestreet, but not run into potholes doing 60mph.The idea that such situation exists does not occur where these trucks are built.

It up to the buyer to look at what the truck will have to go through, service and parts before makin a choice.

And you forgot the FX
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by ESEL: 12:25pm On Jun 01, 2010
FOR YOUR MOBILE DIAGNOSTICS SERVICE ON YOUR CARS, CALL 08035496482 or 08055673680. We will Diagnose your Car and get back your Car in good shape anywhere (Mobile Service).

Never Neglect Lights such as; CHECK ENGINE, ABS, SRS AIRBAG, MAINTENANCE REQUIRED, TRAC ON and the rest.

We are trained for all these.

Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by coschuks(m): 12:45pm On Jun 01, 2010
go and buy peugeut 505 and use the remaining change to help those that are hungry man!
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by coschuks(m): 12:50pm On Jun 01, 2010
go and buy peugeut 505 and use the remaining change to help those that are hungry, man! cry  cry
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by eros(m): 1:01pm On Jun 01, 2010
coschuks:

go and buy peugeut 505 and use the remaining change to help those that are hungry, man! cry  cry

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Even the Good Lord said there will always be the poor and hungry amongst us. So it wouldn't hurt, if he spends a few mills to get the SUV of his choice and still give a token to charity. There will always be people giving to charity, whether the brother gives or not. Whatever we give to the hungry or poor doesn't really count, because the day we stop giving, God will get a replacement for you or me. In the end, LIFE GOES ON.

2 Likes

Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by Onwan: 3:04pm On Jun 01, 2010
@OP
Im not sure why you have those particular vehicles as your options BUT I feel the BMW should be an X5 and not the X3 - that will make for a fair comparism.

Statistics would ordinarily show that the RX350 leads hands down due to its fuel management and ground clearance BUT for me the design gets very boring and flat after a while. Maintaining a Porsche Cayenne in Nigeria might prove to be a challenge when it comes to parts BUT how many of it do you see faulty lying around, I dont know about the BMW X3 as an option BUT I will go for the BMW X5 anyday - the parts are there and it remains sturdy and that design/looks is always catchy especially when well taken care of. The Audi Q5 is very cute and unique (It stands out) and sincerely is a winner here - the cost is an issue though (especially maintenance). For me, The Acura MDX is a mistake from the "luxury" arm (or is it leg) of Honda - you are better off with a Honda Pilot (The 09/10 is simply out of this world).

For better statistics overseas there is this website where you can check the average rating for these vehicles and compare:

1. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2010-audi-q5.htm
2. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2009-bmw-x5.htm

But locally, there is a place at Owode Onirin where you can take the statistics of high-end fragile vehicles - there, you will see close to brand new of these vehicles faulty and that will tell you which model is prone to faults and which is not: Most common is the VW Touareg (Its a disaster), next is the Audi A4, A6 (Mostly transmission issues) then so many VW Jetta and Passat models (transmission and engine). You wont see a Porsche Cayenne there, No X5, No G Wagon, a few H2 (Overheating and dead engines), No Landcruisers.

1 Like

Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by Romeo4real(m): 3:09pm On Jun 01, 2010
Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX
Erm, which Cayenne exactly? which year, and what engine? There are up to 4 engine types for this vehicle alone. Running a V8 will be vastly more expensive than running a V6 in terms of parts, maintenance, fuel, etc. Again, regarding the X3 and Q5, again which engine are you talking about? Without this info, any comparison is meaningless.
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by suxes2005(m): 3:52pm On Jun 01, 2010
@OP

Berra come home and see wat other big boys
are using then u use which one 2 buy.

If u stil want 2 buy from abroad, den buy Toyota
product

SHALOM
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by kabukabu(m): 4:37pm On Jun 01, 2010
whats really wrong here is the lack of information on what exactly you want here?If you are looking at the very high end SUVs,gas mileaga is not a factor,they are all gas guzzlers unless you would want a hybrid which only the Lexus offers in the RX400h.Secondly,you are asking about cost of maintenance?They all will be relatively expensive,they ARE luxury models no matter how you look at it.Now if you go into the mid range price level you would be looking at the Honda Pilot/Nissan pathfinder/Murano,Toyota 4Runner.do you prefer a a smaller SUV?Do you want better offroad capa bility?do you need 5 seats or 8 seats?do you prefer luxury or utility?you have to consider all of these.

Small SUVs non luxury=
Toyota Rav4
Subaru Outback
Saturn Vue
Mazda tribute
honda CRV
Jeep Compass
Jeep Patriot

Mid size non luxury=
Toyota 4Runner(does well offroad and is comfy enough with features)
Nissan Pathfinder
Chevrolet Traverse
Toyota FJ cruiser(best offroad but is very utilitarian/not for office/ceo types)
Jeep Commander
Jeep Grandcherokee

Large non luxury=
Nissan Armada
Toyota Sequioa
Honda Pilot
Toyota land cruiser(best offroad of the bunch,plenty of modern features/parts aplenty in Nigeria, cant go wrong here, but it costs the most in this group, but it still is not considered a "luxury" SUV)
Mazda cx 9
Ford Expedition
Chevrolet Tahoe

Luxury midsize=
Acura MDX
BMW X5 4.0/4.4(Great handling, BMW parts and reliability, huge issue!)
Land Rover Range Rover/Sport(see BMW above)
Porsche Cayenne S/Turbo S(Fast/expensive/great handling but not good offroad/handling naija potholes)
Infiniti FX 35/45(This is not meant to be driven off road, at your own risk, it has low ground clearance.)
Saab 9X
Audi Q7(seats more in luxury/parts?good luck)
Volkswagen toureg(one simple reason to avoid this, look at the VW phaeton, terrible failure, not worth it)
MB ML 350/450/550/63 AMG(see porsche cayenne)

my recommendation is the Toyota 4Runner,simple but comfy,very capable offroad even with huge boulders and potholes,enough power in its v8 engine,doesn't stand out as a robbery magnet, compared to luxury brand/decent gas mileage/seats 5, average size, Toyota parts are plenty in naija, 4runners have been built for over 15 yrs,as opposed to some of the newer flaky SUV's/great resale value
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by Undispu3rd(m): 5:28pm On Jun 01, 2010
Keke NAPEP is the best.

Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by Sprumbaba: 5:44pm On Jun 01, 2010
Thats a fair point.
One other issue with the MDX is the recommended premium fuel requirements.
I think Nigerian fuels would have an octane rating similar to American regular 87 or so.
Premium is 91. I've heard about certain fuel additives but I need to be clarified on that.
How will this affect the MDX engine performance and longevity in Nigeria?

I am not really sure how this will affect its performance. I must say Nigerian fuel will pose a problem. I will opt  for Honda Pilot in Nigeria and I cannot drive anything luxury in Nigeria except a regular Mid Size SUV.

My car stopped on a freeway 2 weeks ago. The engine switch off when I was speeding and I had to pack. I towed it to the dealer and they fixed it. When I asked what happened to it, I was told it was a fly that entered the air filter and the car's computer shut down when it sensed there is something in it.
I payed nothing, even for towing (I have manufacturer's warranty).

If i don't have the warranty, it will cost just $100.

Tell me, If it is a dealer in Nigeria, you could pay 50,000 naira to remove a fly from a regular car. If it is a luxury car, it could be 100,000 to remove a fly.

An average SUV that can easily be repaired is the best bet.
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by kabukabu(m): 7:10pm On Jun 01, 2010
I went back and did more research on the toyota 4runner,you can have 4cyl,6cyl or 8 cylinder engines, also comes in 4wd or 2wd.I would recommend the v6 or v8 4WD version,because of power but if you want great gas mileage go with the 4 cylinder.Also the 4runner IS the only serious offroad SUV in the group I showed above.Why,because it still has body ON frame which is much stronger and rugged compared to the unibody frames of the Porsche/audi/BMW and Infiniti, which means they can't handle boulders,rocks,pits without needing complete suspension replacement. embarassed, Toyota rules here again grin
Re: Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jun 01, 2010
I see a lot of people letting their hearts rule their heads - a Porsche Cayenne will not be the best option, based on the years it's to be used, and in Nigeria too. We're talking a country where "mechanics" go pale at the sight of a 1998 Toyota Camry V6 engine. How then will they cope with a V6 / V8 stuffed into a large, luxurious German SUV? Buying a Porsche Cayenne is great, but could be expensive, for most bar those that do their own wrenching.

My choice (for someone who's not mechanically inclined) would be the Lexus RX350. It's luxurious enough to give driving pleasure to a lot of users, and far less bland (on the inside) compared to the much more expensive Porsche. With Toyota's legendary reputation for reliability, it'll be easier on the wallet too, and will present less head scratching for Nigerian techs, when it comes to repairs and servicing.

As most on here know, my choice will always be German, but that's my job - repairing, servicing and upgrading the German marques; so I wouldn't have any issues with the technical aspects. I also love performance, so don't mind if my choice will gulp massive amounts of fuel, compared to the lighter, and less refined Japanese equivalents. The original poster was quite clear in his criteria:

Performance
Reliability
Fuel requirements (RON etc)
Maintainance (cost & mechanic issues)

The Porsche wouldn't fit within the last two criteria; the engines are high compression (the lowest is 11.6:1 CR) and it is mandatory that fuel with at least 99 RON is used, if expensive engine failure is to be avoided. Of course, one can use octane boosters, but in 5 years, the costs would soon mount up. As per maintainance, I've already touched upon that. The Lexus however, would tick all the boxes.

So, though my choice would be between the Audi Q5 and Porsche Cayenne, my practical advice to a non-tech, who was looking to save a bit of cash, would be to go for the Lexus RX350.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Noise Pollution: Lagos To Observe Horn Free Day October 15 / Another Fuel Tanker Crashes In Lagos / Innoson: 10 Things To Know About The Automaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.