Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,462 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Why Ronaldo Could Win The Ballon D'or In A World Cup Year - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Ronaldo Could Win The Ballon D'or In A World Cup Year (771 Views)

Seedorf: Cristiano Ronaldo Could Equal My Champions League Record With Juventus / Chiellini: Ronaldo Was ROBBED Of Ballon D'or In 2018, Madrid Wanted To Stop Him / Alisson Becker Wins Yachine Trophy At Ballon D'or In France (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Ronaldo Could Win The Ballon D'or In A World Cup Year by Sanchez01: 12:01pm On Apr 06, 2018
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel both have 10 Ballon d'Or combined, five apiece.

In a World Cup year it is always difficult to figure out the winner, using the Champions League alone as a yard stick. However, I strongly feel the Real Madrid ace would best Lionel Messi and win it regardless of what Portugal plays in the World Cup.

Below are my reasons;

1. For now, the three major stars to gun for the trophy are Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar.

2. Of the three, Neymar stands a better chance of winning, all thanks to Brazil's amazing squad and team play. Sadly, I don't see Argentina going far, just as Portugal.

3. Should Brazil crash out along Argentina and Portugal, then Ronaldo would sure win. Why/How?

a. Should Germany, Spain or Russia win, it would be near impossible to pick an amazing player that could best the feat of the three, club performance wise, which would also be considered in choosing.

b. Ronaldo's everyday ground breaking Champions League record and his recent stunning goal has tipped him before journalists who would vote. Messi is battling with a hamstring and would need rest to recover or risk being sidelined for long should he be played hard.

c. A possible contender would have been Manuel Neur (Germany) but he has been injured and sidelined for a while now. Another is Iniesta (Spain), but with the pairing of Isco in the midfield, I fear Isco would take the shine off the legend.

d. Should Real Madrid win the Champions League a third time, Cristiano Ronaldo would be primed to beat Messi by becoming the first player to win the trophy six times.

e. A similar occurrence was the 2010 WC, which saw Messi win the trophy despite crashing out of the Champions League courtesy of Wesley Sneidjer who also outshine him at the WC.

In summary, the winner of the Champions League (Ronaldo or Messi) would enjoy a massive boost before the WC and would go on to win should Neymar and his Brazil team fail to rise to the occasion. Madrid is playing for a single tournament now - the Champions League, and Ronaldo quite understands that his where his strength lies.

1 Like

Re: Why Ronaldo Could Win The Ballon D'or In A World Cup Year by Eze4tonyTc(m): 1:04pm On Apr 06, 2018
cr7
Re: Why Ronaldo Could Win The Ballon D'or In A World Cup Year by Chanchit: 8:18am On Aug 05, 2018
Cc sanchez01, you've got a mail Sir.
Re: Why Ronaldo Could Win The Ballon D'or In A World Cup Year by Sanchez01: 9:13am On Aug 09, 2018
Chanchit:
Cc sanchez01, you've got a mail Sir.
Apologies, sir. Received. I have been barely available a while. I'll sure respond today. Please bear with me smiley

(1) (Reply)

LIVE: Liverpool Land Roma In UCL Draw / Victor Moses's Man Of The Match Performance Helps Chelsea Beat Burnley 2-1 / Aleksander Refuses To Condemn Buffon For His “understandable”.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.