Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos (29545 Views)

Accident Caused Gridlock On Kaduna-Abuja Highway. Travelers Stranded For 48 Hrs / Truck Drivers Protest At Upper Iweka, Onitsha Over Accident Caused By Touts / Driver Crashes Into A Residential Building After Accident Caused By Insect. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by CastedDude: 1:04pm On Apr 08, 2018
A heartbroken Nigerian man has recounted how his brother and others were killed after being crushed by a speeding vehicle when they were accosted by Nigerian Customs officials at Benin by-pass. According to him, the vehicle also crushed 10 other people and left many injured before the Customs officials fled the scene.

Peter Kalu revealed how his brother died in a tragic manner. Read below;

My brother, Mr. Anthony Ufere Uchechi Eke was coming home for Easter 2018. After discussing with him on Tuesday, March 27 on some issues, we ended up that he will take the night bus on Thursday, March 29, to meet me on Friday, March 30, at Aba for us to head home that same Friday, for an Executive meeting of our village (Easter meeting). Though he did not call me again to tell me that he has taken the night bus, yet on Friday morning I started calling him to inquire if he took the night bus or will be taken the morning bus, but nobody picks his calls.

After awhile, I received a call from home that my uncle, Sir Bonaventure Okoro Ibe (CPO) has passed on, as I was crying and weeping; I then received another call from a brother from Lagos telling me that he saw my uncle’s demise picture on Facebook and then started calling Ufere to inquire when that happened, only to his surprise the phone was picked by a Federal Road Safety woman who told him that the owner of the phone was involved in an accident along Benin-Lagos Express way (Benin by-pass) that they should start coming to Benin Teaching Hospital where those injured had being taken to.

He then spread the news to our villagers in Lagos which led to many joining him to Benin, on reaching there, they were taken to the Hospital to go round the wards which they did but could not find him there; having no option left, they were taken to the Mortuary. Lo! And behold, Ufere was lying there lifeless, dead. It was very late then, they slept at Benin and in the morning they got some necessary clearance and took his body down to our village, Umuchiakuma Ihechiowa Arochukwu LGA. Abia State and deposited him in the Mortuary.

But how did the accident occur? They asked, then the story emerges:

Ufere was reported to have board Best Way Transports at Lagos on that Thursday night for Aba, on their way home, around 2.00 am; they were parked by the Nigerian Customs at that Benin by-pass, and all were commanded to come down from the vehicle which they did except eight women that refused to come down; and they started searching the bus as if they were already informed of any country banned item in that bus, they found about seven bags of rice which the owner was not disclosed.

As some of their men were searching the bus, the other men commanded all that came out from that bus to stand in front of that buscar as they were using the light, unknowing to them, another set of Nigerian Customs were pursuing a trailer from the back, and on reaching there, the trailer driver as he wanted to make his way without stopping was confused as he saw on the other side of the road another parked damaged trailer, and since this buscar had taken half of the road, he had no other option then to hit this buscar from the back, and the buscar with that full force crushed everybody that was standing in its front, leaving 11 people dead instantly and many injured.

Those Nigerian Customs instead of rescuing life, they jumped into their vehicle and ran away, and nobody knew how long it took the Federal Road Safety Commission to arrive. That is how I lost my beloved brother and friend for mere bags of rice which even the President GMB won't deny eating foreign rice.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/04/nigerian-customs-caused-my-brothers-death-brother-laments.html

1 Like

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by IdeyFindWife: 1:12pm On Apr 08, 2018
Now, that's a real casted tragedy!

That's the Nigerian Customs for you, doing what they know best to do, getting paid for sinking the pple & country in more problems for their own selfish gains.

Who doesn't know most of the so-called contraband rice, turkey and oil ends up in their wives, moms & sisters' shops. And under their gallant watch, Nigeria managed to have one of the most porous border controls globally gisting Boko haram & co, hmmn, smh.

16 Likes

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by CaptainStephen(m): 1:24pm On Apr 08, 2018
This is sad, Men of both customs and police are very guilty of flagging down vehicles without considering safety.

3 Likes

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by orion7: 2:17pm On Apr 08, 2018
buhari said if he wins. things likevthus won't happen.the man is s failure

5 Likes

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by uchman48(m): 3:24pm On Apr 08, 2018
This are the issues we face in this country, is it not the same custom officers that allowed the rice to pass through the border, that is why i don't have any iota of sympathy when they die untimely, and to even think of it, this news was not reported oooo, but if it were to be custom officers that were killed, they will be disturbing our timelines so as to get sympathy.

8 Likes

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by apesinola001: 3:28pm On Apr 08, 2018
RIP

1 Like

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by Mutemenot(m): 3:29pm On Apr 08, 2018
May untimely death never depart from the custom officers who led to the accident .

8 Likes

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by apesinola001: 3:29pm On Apr 08, 2018
Sorry for the loss

1 Like

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by Iamgodwin: 3:29pm On Apr 08, 2018
Na wa ohhhhh
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by lawalosky(m): 3:31pm On Apr 08, 2018
customs at it again..
rip to the dead....
Nigeria armed forces are dangerous. from para military to military all join together...

1 Like

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by Viking007(m): 3:31pm On Apr 08, 2018
This is really sad...unfortunately nothing is going to be done about this. We live in a useless country.

10 Likes

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by Kaybaba5(m): 3:34pm On Apr 08, 2018
Rest in peace to the dead
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by okerekeikpo: 3:38pm On Apr 08, 2018
I remember this guy from Umuchiakuma Ihechiowa Arochukwu, look at how the zoo custom killed this young umuchi guy it's well

3 Likes

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by Sapeleboy911(m): 3:56pm On Apr 08, 2018
Can you imagine? Even if the so called idiots finds out that those rice were contraband, or they found any contraband goods, all they will ask for is still bribe. RIP to those innocent men and women. Surely death will never depart from those blood suckers.
This is why I never pity Nigeria police, customs, and even military men when they are in dangers. In saner climes those idiots will be invited and sanctioned. But hey this is Nigeria the shithole country. Once again RIP.
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by PrincessB1(f): 4:00pm On Apr 08, 2018
embarassed
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by Borderless: 4:00pm On Apr 08, 2018
Thumbs up to our lawless law enforcement thugs!

Always at their best making noise but achieving nothing. God help us to help ourselves.
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by SalamRushdie: 4:06pm On Apr 08, 2018
Another innocent Nigerian killed By the lies and propaganda of Buhari
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by cchiagom(f): 4:12pm On Apr 08, 2018
IdeyFindWife:
Now, that's a real casted tragedy!

That's the Nigerian Customs for you, doing what they know best to do, getting paid for sinking the pple & country in more problems for their own selfish gains.

Who doesn't know most of the so-called contraband rice, turkey and oil ends up in their wives, moms & sisters' shops. And under their gallant watch, Nigeria managed to have one of the most porous border controls globally gisting Boko haram & co, hmmn, smh.

So just because of seven bags of rice? it's well. when they start to reap what they have sown they will say it's their village people.
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by Onyenna(m): 4:21pm On Apr 08, 2018
Jeez
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by anibirelawal(m): 4:24pm On Apr 08, 2018
angry SO SAD, embarassed TOO BAD
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by Jeezuzpick(m): 4:47pm On Apr 08, 2018
I just know say na dat Benin bypass.

That's how they caused one courier service bus to hit a parked trailer last month, on the Edo LGA election day.
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by Nickymezor(f): 4:48pm On Apr 08, 2018
Really terrible. May their souls rest in peace.
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by Dearlord(m): 5:22pm On Apr 08, 2018
Unbelievable even though you are careful.
It Best to be at the right place at the wrong time

1 Like

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by iamjavadem(m): 5:56pm On Apr 08, 2018
RIP to the dead but what is PMB’s own here now? Stupid Biafra people always looking to blame buhari for everything. The fool who refused to stop when customs stopped him and went ahead to crush 11 people isn’t guilty or what? People should try and have sense.
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by blazer2018: 6:21pm On Apr 08, 2018
RIP to the dead

That's why i hate travelling on Nigerian roads... I dread am no be small

For me to travel on Nigerian roads to the East or North, the reason must be very very cogent...So many people are giving me cold shoulders because i failed at one time or the other to travel with them for their burials and weddings...It's flight or nothing...As unsafe as Nigerian airlines are perceived to be, i will rather hold my breath in the plane for a little over 1 hr, than spending over 10 hrs on Nigerian roads, not knowig what awaits you at the next bend.

It could be Dangote truck, fuel tanker, head-on-collision, potholes, armed robbers, boko haram, herdsmen, kidnappers...only on Nigerian roads, there are over a 100 ways to die.

4 Likes

Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by Opoki(m): 8:37pm On Apr 08, 2018
So sad to read this, sadly that it continue happening everytime without anything being done about it!
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by nwoye72: 9:55pm On Apr 08, 2018
no respect for humanity in that country
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by seenter84: 10:47pm On Apr 08, 2018
D Matter touch me
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by newslifeop: 1:17am On Apr 09, 2018
oh
Re: 11 People Crushed To Death In Fatal Accident Caused By Customs Officials. Photos by hakimi1974(m): 4:25pm On Apr 09, 2018
i thought there was a directive asking those crooks to leave the highway. most time, you will see them without name and number tags, so that nobody can identify them.

(1) (Reply)

Udom Constructing Drainage On Atabong Road In Eket (Photos) / South Africa Refuses Air Peace Landing Permit / Petrol Tanker Rams Into Vehicles Along Abuja Highway, Many People Feared Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.