Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,828 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University (25531 Views)

Meet Victor Ayooluwa Babalola: University Of Uyo Best Graduating Student / Afe Babalola University Commissions Senate Building - The White Rock / Inside Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by GrandPa01(m): 5:10am On Apr 09, 2018
Afe Babalola University established in 2009 is reportedly the second best private university in Nigeria in 2013.

Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti, (ABUAD) is one of the few private universities in Nigeria that are neither owned nor controlled by Church or Islamic groups.

It was established in 2009 by a renowned lawyer and former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos, Afe Babalola.

Just four years after its establishment, the university was ranked the second best private university in Nigeria in 2013.

However, while the university has a lofty profile that attracts admission seekers to make it their choice tertiary institution, there are certain pieces of information you've probably never heard about ABUAD.

Here are seven shocking facts about this school as stated on the university website.

1. Highest employer of Labour in Ekiti State

Afe Babalola University prides itself as the highest private employer of labour in Ekiti State. This is because apart from employing academic and non-academic staff in the state, the institution also has 1000 hectares of land dedicated to cultivation of grains.

2. Construction of ABUAD was completed in just 8 months

The institution is the first and only University in Nigeria to commence academic activities on the permanent site with all the state-of-the-art facilities in place within 8 months of the turning of the sod.

3. Afe Babalola wrote the school anthem

ABUAD anthem was personally prepared and authored by Afe Babalola himself and it is premised on his belief in industry and doggedness as the road-map to success.

4. Every student must sing the anthem everyday

The university management ensures every student sing the anthem daily and they are also expected to practise the ideals contained in the anthem.

5. Religious dresses not allowed

Wearing of religious outfits in the university is not allowed because the school authorities believe it can breed discrimination

6. ABUAD pays best salary

Although the amount the school pays as salary entry point of any staff is not stated but according to the information on its website, ABUAD pays the highest salary for Assistant Lecturers in the country.

7. Faculty Uniform/dress code
As a student at Afe Babalola University in Ado Ekiti, you are expected to wear the university dress code for each Faculty. For instance, it is said that those in Sciences put on cream-coloured shirts with trousers to match.

Source: http://opera.pulse.ng/communities/student/7-shocking-facts-youve-probably-never-heard-about-abuad-id8222161.html

3 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by jericco1(m): 6:15am On Apr 09, 2018
that's all?

3 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by supereagle(m): 6:52am On Apr 09, 2018
The anthem please.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by mercytripletz: 7:13am On Apr 09, 2018
@4.
How do they do that?
Them dey do assembly?

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by makkosky(m): 7:23am On Apr 09, 2018
Informative

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by anochuko01(m): 7:34am On Apr 09, 2018
so they wear uniforms and people shout about convent?
even the public higher institution I left had uniforms for some departments and were gradually introducing dress codes before I left.

6 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Jh0wsef(m): 7:56am On Apr 09, 2018
I KNOW THIS WOMAN'S DAUGHTER. BOLANLE AUSTEN-PETERS

WORKED WITH HER ON FEW OCCASIONS.

VERY CALM AND HUMBLE PEOPLE smiley
Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by stubbornman(m): 7:57am On Apr 09, 2018
Whats shocking about these facts!!

Are they paying the students salary angry angry

18 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by emeijeh(m): 7:57am On Apr 09, 2018
So they have a uniform?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Sparkies85(m): 7:57am On Apr 09, 2018
Still waiting for the shocking part.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by NairaMaster1(m): 7:57am On Apr 09, 2018
mercytripletz:
@4.
How do they do that?
Them dey do assembly?

I taya oooo

4 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Ikuenami(m): 7:58am On Apr 09, 2018
Every student must sing the anthem everyday
The university management ensures every student sing the anthem daily and they are also expected to practise the ideals contained in the anthem.Every student must sing the anthem everyday
The university management ensures every student sing the anthem daily and they are also expected to practise the ideals contained in the anthem.
Nah Secondary school?

8 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by kinkybunny(f): 7:58am On Apr 09, 2018
one shocking fact you have not heard of Nigeria

we are hungry

6 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 09, 2018
angry

Still waiting to be shocked... undecided

OP Let me give you example of shocking facts.

1: Students writes on the walls of the classes
2: Friday nights are for clubbing in the senate building
3: Best graduating students gets T-shirts from the VC
4: Lecturers and students settle their differences with fists
5: Morning assembly is compulsory for all students..

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 09, 2018
highest employer of labour?? that's gross grin

3 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by oyeb15: 8:00am On Apr 09, 2018
it's our governor that acclaim that point one to d schl. Had Fayemi won reelection,those odua investments, fountain holdings, ire block industry, textile industry where he bought thousands of international machines, ikogosi warmspring would have surpassed this claim. But when our guy won, he grounded all these investments to create employment for our youths and substitute it with stomach infrastructure.
I also heard they treat non-teaching staffs there like rags. Any slight mistake, it could lead to jail.
On religion, if u seek employment there as a good Christian or Muslim, u will never be considered. They don't believe in God.
Moreover, cudos to the place cos it's one of d pride of Ekiti. We need more of it.

1 Like

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Timiblanko(m): 8:02am On Apr 09, 2018
Construction of ABUAD was completed in just 8
months Mean while in Ore, Ondo state small and short drainage as been on construction for for more than 8month and has not being completed. Government kontinu

4 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Jethrolite(m): 8:05am On Apr 09, 2018
So it is essentially a secondary school. Nigerian private universities are always going overboard with student handling.

Guys just wait for my university, low fees(at least for a private university), best quality lecturers and teaching aid, no harassment from the school or lecturers and you can live your life freely as you want. Our business is to teach and test, if you make yanga leave book and you fail, you will lose your admission eventually.

Vision 20**

3 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 09, 2018
Anthem Kwa?? All Diz Degree Awarding Secondary Schools Sef.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by juxtnatty20(m): 8:18am On Apr 09, 2018

3 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Twrecks(m): 8:22am On Apr 09, 2018
BuhariSelf:

Every higher institution has an anthem. Good morning, sir

2 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Tozara(m): 8:26am On Apr 09, 2018
"Shocking" seems to have a new meaning.

5 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Nobody: 9:03am On Apr 09, 2018
Twrecks:

Every higher institution has an anthem. Good morning, sir
Even Though I Don't Believe U, I Do Not Concour With The Idea Of Making The Students Sing It Every Day. Hw Are You Sir?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by easyfem(m): 9:10am On Apr 09, 2018
But i applied for there vacancy few months ago and since then, everyone has been waiting
Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by jy2kbeyond(m): 9:11am On Apr 09, 2018
Jethrolite:
So it is essentially a secondary school. Nigerian private universities are always going overboard with student handling.

Guys just wait for my university, low fees(at least for a private university), best quality lecturers and teaching aid, no harassment from the school or lecturers and you can live your life freely as you want. Our business is to teach and test, if you make yanga leave book and you fail, you will lose your admission eventually.

Vision 20**

Vision 20never grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by NwankpaDaniel(m): 9:12am On Apr 09, 2018
The only shocking thing i know about the man is that he allegedly used all his expertise to win a case for a big Chinese firm firm in Ikorodu. There was a serious fire outbreak that engulfed one of the company's production units, over 20 nigerians wokers were roasted alive by fire, no single chinese was hurt, finding shows that they used to lock up nigerian workers in a confinement in the production premises while working , this was the reason none of them could escape during the fire outbreak.The Chinese company opressed, victimised and treated our citizen as slaves. As at 2007, when i was still living in that street, they paid N150-N200 per day[12hours].

They[the chinese firm,-the manufacturer of WARP dunlop slippers] contacted Afe Babalola who won the case for them,he alleged those who burnt into ashes are looters. That was how the man made his cool-blooded money. one thing i know, the blood of those victims will surely cry out for revenge one day.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by churchee: 9:27am On Apr 09, 2018
What kind of 'shocking' that doesn't reach the veins?
Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by HigherEd: 9:27am On Apr 09, 2018
AUN has the highest pay for lecturers in Nigeria. And that is an NUC fact

Covenant was built in 7 months

1 Like

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Nobody: 9:42am On Apr 09, 2018
BuhariSelf:

Ikuenami:

Nah Secondary school?

Jethrolite:

Vision 20**

mercytripletz:
@4.
How do they do that?
Them dey do assembly?

I'm a student and number 4 is a lie. Where are we supposed to sing the anthem? The only times I've ever sung the anthem are during sports ceremonies like the 2015 private university games held in ABUAD or if I attend any 'founder's congress' or faculty dinner.

emeijeh:
So they have a uniform?

anochuko01:
so they wear uniforms and people shout about convent?
even the public higher institution I left had uniforms for some departments and were gradually introducing dress codes before I left.

Also, the last rule (7) existed previously (probably to fit in with the status quo of other private schools) but was never enforced until that stupid riot in 2015. Some useless students decided to cause havoc in the school and since then its been less liberal than its known to be. Apart from lecture hours you're permitted to wear what you want, provided its decent. Also, its not a specific 'uniform' just any shirt where the college colour is more dominant.

And yes, religious dresses are not allowed to classes, if you're a Muslim keep your hijab in your hostel or wear a small scarf. I so much love the founder for this, both Christian and Muslim societies pay rent to use any facility to hold their religious meetings and are required to get permits if they want to hold any special event that might disturb others.

Please, op, get rid of the 4th item on your list and replace it with the fact that the founder gives out scholarships/prizes to bright students, I've been a recipient of one of these funds since my first year in the university as a first class student.

4.5 - 4.79 get 50k
4.8 - 4.99 get 200k
5.0 get 500k, all in naira. And these funds are given every year, the school never defaults in paying these funds. There's also a sports festival held on campus by the founder's wife, and the winner gets a cash prize as well as an all expense trip to Dubai, so to be honest they really place emphasis on sports. All athletes that win medals for the school at Private university games are rewarded with decent funds as well. I can testify because I played chess for the university at both the 2015 and 2017 private university games and I know how much I received for the medals I won.

oyeb15:

On religion, if u seek employment there as a good Christian or Muslim, u will never be considered. They don't believe in God.
This is not true. The former provost of the College of Engineering was a senior Redeemed Pastor. There are plenty of religious lecturers I'm the school- the founder is only against religious people infringing on the rights of others.
I also heard they treat non-teaching staffs there like rags. Any slight mistake, it could lead to jail.
I don't know what made you make this claim, but the only non-teaching staff that I know who've been jailed, assisted some unruly students in smuggling drugs. The Founder has zero tolerance for usage of illegal drugs. Getting caught = expulsion for a student.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by Shine1177: 9:49am On Apr 09, 2018
GrandPa01:

Source: http://opera.pulse.ng/communities/student/7-shocking-facts-youve-probably-never-heard-about-abuad-id8222161.html

It was established in 2009 by a renowned lawyer and former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos, Afe Babalola.

Afe Babalola was never a Vice-Chancellor, I think he was the Pro-Chancellor of University of Lagos during OBJ regime.

2. Construction of ABUAD was completed in just 8 months

The institution is the first and only University in Nigeria to commence academic activities on the permanent site with all the state-of-the-art facilities in place within 8 months of the turning of the sod.
You need to research more, Covenant University holds that record. For your information, ABUAD copied her concept partly from Covenant University.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University by JMOB(m): 10:56am On Apr 09, 2018
SHOCKING? I WAS EXPECTING YOU TO SAY...STUDENTS UNDERGO GENITAL SURGERY B4 GAINING ADMISSION...STUFFS LIKE THAT...U SHA NO TRY

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad / OAU Management Shuts Down School Again / Fayemi Upgrades College Of Education Ikere, Ekiti To University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.