Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? (15359 Views)

One Year And More After NYSC - How Is It Going? / 10 Best States To Choose For NYSC, To Make Money Or Get A Job After NYSC / NYSC: How My Baby And I Passed Out In Style (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by JARUSHUB: 12:23pm On Apr 09, 2018
Recently, we got this from our mail.

Hello,

I studied Counselling in school because I didn’t get Accounting and because I had started with ICAN exams before getting admission. I finished with 2:1. I completed ICAN exams recently (can’t get the ACA yet because of work experience requirement). I started with CFA too, passed level 1, I have registered for the 2nd level.

I finished service last year and I quite understandably expected to get a job almost immediately after service. I haven’t been able to get one thus far. So my question, do you think my course of study is working against me? Thanks

You completed your NYSC not long ago, and you’re complaining?

You’re very impatient. Job doesn’t come so fast for 90% of people irrespective of qualifications. I have friends that had first class in accounting (you had 2.1 in Counselling, right?) plus ICAN, and still spent up to a year at home before getting job. That is the reality. It is hardly out of place.

For me, not getting job within 6 months of completing NYSC, irrespective of one’s qualifications, is not yet a bad situation. Even recruitment processes of some companies (all stages of tests, interviews, medicals etc) take up to a year.

Your degrees will not land you job automatically, my brother.

Where did you study Counselling? I hope it is a recognized school. While your course of study (counselling) is not so attractive to employers in this part of the world, the fact that you had 2.1, got ICAN and CFA 1 qualifications is a good remedial strategy.

You did not tell me where you have applied to? What were you doing during your NYSC? Were you throwing your CVs around? How many companies have you applied to? Have you written any company test? If yes, did you pass?

No matter the qualifications one has, job will not come and meet anyone at home. One has to hustle.

I know many companies do not care about your course of study once you have 2.1. Good for you, you have more than 2.1, you also have ICAN qualification and already in stage 2 in CFA. The two issues I sense here are, one, you’re impatient and expected to get job on a silver platter and two, you don't appear to be equipped with right information. It hardly works that way.

If you’re below 26 years, have you applied to PwC, KPMG, Ernst & Young and Akintola Williams Deloitte? These are the Big 4 professional services firms that recruit people like you from time to time. They don’t bother about your course of study once you make 2.1 and you’re below 26 years of age.

Most banks also don’t care about course of study. There are many other firms like that.

You just need to get the right information and probably shed your mindset that your 2.1 will automatically land you job once you finished your NYSC.

My friends with ACA and CFA that you saw did not have that mindset. They loaded themselves with right information. And yes, it’s not so hard getting Accounting/Finance job with zero work experience once you get your strategy right and you can defend your qualifications by passing tests and interviews.

All the best.

http://www.jarushub.com/getting-job-after-nysc-how-long-is-too-long/

cc: Lalasticlala & Mynd44

13 Likes

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by OreoPaschal(m): 1:19pm On Apr 09, 2018
It has not been easy on me. I don't even know the career path I want anymore. I am so lost with this job hunting. At present I work as a leasing agent although I am yet to serve. But, upon completion of NYSC I will be 26years of age. sad sad

I just feel lost out as I may not be able to work in places, I have desired because of their age limit as a requirement for recruitment. Even with my First-class in Agricultural Economics. My depression level goes higher the more. I only pray God will make a way for me when I get to that stage.

cry cry cry cry cry cry

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by ucheuzor1(m): 10:37pm On Apr 09, 2018
OreoPaschal:
It has not been easy on me. I don't even know the career path I want anymore. I am so lost with this job hunting. At present I work as a leasing agent although I am yet to serve. But, upon completion of NYSC I will be 26years of age. sad sad

I just feel lost out as I may not be able to work in places, I have desired because of their age limit as a requirement for recruitment. Even with my First-class in Agricultural Economics. My depression level goes higher the more. I only pray God will make a way for me when I get to that stage.

cry cry cry cry cry cry

Don't feel depressed bro. sometimes its quite hard to navigate through uncharted waters. You haven't served yet, so no cause for you to feel depressed.

Most persons working and living a decent life now at some point once felt scared, not knowing d next direction to follow. Its very normal for almost any graduate to feel this sense of uncertainty as u feel now.

Be happy for what you have achieved so far and pray to God to direct your ways. what lies ahead is surely greater.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by OreoPaschal(m): 11:43pm On Apr 09, 2018
ucheuzor1:

Don't feel depressed bro. sometimes its quite hard to navigate through uncharted waters. You haven't served yet, so no cause for you to feel depressed.

Most persons working and living a decent life now at some point once felt scared, not knowing d next direction to follow. Its very normal for almost any graduate to feel this sense of uncertainty as u feel now.

Be happy for what you have achieved so far and pray to God to direct your ways. what lies ahead is surely greater.

Thanks for those lines, Uzor Uche! God bless you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by JARUSHUB: 10:08am On Apr 10, 2018
OreoPaschal:

cry cry cry cry cry cry

We understand your worries.

At the bolded: One way to reduce such worries is by applying to such firms at least 6 months before you are done with service.

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by GOOOGLE504(m): 2:25pm On Apr 10, 2018
OreoPaschal:

cry cry cry cry cry cry

u r nt alone broda bt no nid to worry, jst key ur faith in God... Most of d things we worry abt neva happen so spare urself d depression

4 Likes

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by paymentvoucher: 4:45pm On Apr 12, 2018
Career Topic:

How did you spend your NYSC days?
Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by Sarang(f): 4:45pm On Apr 12, 2018
I hope you get something soon smiley

Please see my signature
Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by oshdam2015: 4:45pm On Apr 12, 2018
What some excellent graduates failed to understand is that, you don't have to get big company's offer before you to get started. There are small companies all around. They are ready to offer you the experience. The pay might not be encouraging though. The companies will offer you hand-on experience that would eventually land you good jobs.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by talk2saintify(m): 4:45pm On Apr 12, 2018
2days angry
Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by Jh0wsef(m): 4:45pm On Apr 12, 2018
Una wey like free airtime. Check the link in my profile. no use big boy miss this offer. It came out yesterday or so grin
Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by FrenchWay: 4:45pm On Apr 12, 2018
The most confusing moment in one's life is immediately after NYSC.
At some point, I thought of becoming a tailor.
I later decided i would open a church.
Currently I'm focused on Sugar mummies. They pay at least.

How long is subjective.
To the wise, hustle should start immediately after WAEC.
To the semi-wise, hustle starts before or during nysc.
To the foolish, hustle starts after NYSC.

As for how long, destiny should take care of that.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by TheAngry1: 4:46pm On Apr 12, 2018
Hmmm, education is overrated walahi. You should be thinking of how to build your capacity to be self-employed so that you can be gainfully earning a living while waiting for a job after service. I don't even know what people go to school for these days...haba! You are already calculating the possible number of wait days...change your thinking abeg.

6 Likes

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by lonelydora: 4:46pm On Apr 12, 2018
Welcome to the Labour market.
Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by ArticleBeast: 4:47pm On Apr 12, 2018

The key is to keep applying, acquiring online skills, developing your minds and not following slay queens so that the Angel of God can easily trace your problem and solve it..

By the way check my signature for more

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by imamabi(m): 4:47pm On Apr 12, 2018
Now is too long. Better start real hunting.
Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by BBM: 4:48pm On Apr 12, 2018
Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by jefferyboy: 4:53pm On Apr 12, 2018
Husling continue bro..Keep ur faith high...
Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by nabegibeg: 4:55pm On Apr 12, 2018
JARUSHUB:

Hello,

I studied Counselling in school because I didn’t get Accounting and because I had started with ICAN exams before getting admission. I finished with 2:1. I completed ICAN exams recently (can’t get the ACA yet because of work experience requirement). I started with CFA too, passed level 1, I have registered for the 2nd level.

I finished service last year and I quite understandably expected to get a job almost immediately after service. I haven’t been able to get one thus far. So my question, do you think my course of study is working against me? Thanks

You’re very impatient. Job doesn’t come so fast for 90% of people irrespective of qualifications. I have friends that had first class in accounting (you had 2.1 in Counselling, right?) plus ICAN, and still spent up to a year at home before getting job. That is the reality. It is hardly out of place.

For me, not getting job within 6 months of completing NYSC, irrespective of one’s qualifications, is not yet a bad situation. Even recruitment processes of some companies (all stages of tests, interviews, medicals etc) take up to a year.

Where did you study Counselling? I hope it is a recognized school. While your course of study (counselling) is not so attractive to employers in this part of the world, the fact that you had 2.1, got ICAN and CFA 1 qualifications is a good remedial strategy.

You did not tell me where you have applied to? What were you doing during your NYSC? Were you throwing your CVs around? How many companies have you applied to? Have you written any company test? If yes, did you pass?

No matter the qualifications one has, job will not come and meet anyone at home. One has to hustle.

I know many companies do not care about your course of study once you have 2.1. Good for you, you have more than 2.1, you also have ICAN qualification and already in stage 2 in CFA. The two issues I sense here are, one, you’re impatient and expected to get job on a silver platter and two, you don't appear to be equipped with right information. It hardly works that way.

If you’re below 26 years, have you applied to PwC, KPMG, Ernst & Young and Akintola Williams Deloitte? These are the Big 4 professional services firms that recruit people like you from time to time. They don’t bother about your course of study once you make 2.1 and you’re below 26 years of age.

Most banks also don’t care about course of study. There are many other firms like that.

You just need to get the right information and probably shed your mindset that your 2.1 will automatically land you job once you finished your NYSC.

My friends with ACA and CFA that you saw did not have that mindset. They loaded themselves with right information. And yes, it’s not so hard getting Accounting/Finance job with zero work experience once you get your strategy right and you can defend your qualifications by passing tests and interviews.

All the best.

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by noblealuu: 4:57pm On Apr 12, 2018
JARUSHUB:

Hello,

All the best.

Hello, the Guy that studied Counselling should pm me asap.
Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by tokrizy: 4:57pm On Apr 12, 2018
Jh0wsef:
Una wey like free airtime. Check the link in my profile. no use big boy miss this offer. It came out yesterday or so grin
sure it works?
Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by ZarahBuhari: 4:57pm On Apr 12, 2018
Lol! And what baffles me the most is how the majority have resort to praying to get jobs. Nigerians you've got to wake up.

Forget religion and fight for your rights, God won't come down and give us jobs. Politicians are the culprits here.

I'm a Christian like everyone else, not an atheists. I've come to realize that politicians/men of God/imams rob us and then use the name of the Lord to deceive us.

4 Likes

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by FrenchWay: 4:57pm On Apr 12, 2018
Corpers are out today. They be wishing each oda:" favour market, favour market"

Favour market:

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by Montez90: 4:58pm On Apr 12, 2018
Getting jobs as not been hard for me, getting giid and constant pay is the main thing, Got a job immediately after service, left 3 months after, got 6 interviews after the job, some called with low offers < 60k, I've noticed if you're very good in your craft , companies will find you

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by AZeD1(m): 4:59pm On Apr 12, 2018
The fastest way to get a job is through referral aka man know man, so when you are in school, try to build a network because it will come in handy in the future.

I have worked in a fairly big organization and I have worked in start ups (where I handled recruitment for my team) and nothing beats having someone on the inside who personally hands over your resume to the person in charge of recruiting.

Most times, vacancies are announced internally weeks before it gets to the public and by the time it gets to the public, the hiring manager already has a group of people shortlisted for the interview.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by EsvNwoye(m): 5:04pm On Apr 12, 2018
oshdam2015:
What some excellent graduates failed to understand is that, you don't have to get big company's offer before you to get started. There are small companies all around. They are ready to offer you the experience. The pay might not be encouraging though. The companies will offer you hand-on experience that would eventually land you good jobs.
Like what pay exactly for a start?
Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by sujexy(m): 5:05pm On Apr 12, 2018
FrenchWay:
The most confusing moment in one's life is immediately after NYSC.
At some point, I thought of becoming a tailor.
I later decided i would open a church.
Currently I'm focused on Sugar mummies. They pay at least.

How long is subjective.
To the wise, hustle should start immediately after WAEC.
To the semi-wise, hustle starts before or during nysc.
To the foolish, hustle starts after NYSC.

As for how long, destiny should take care of that.
loll...bro you just finished me up..."I later decided I would open a Church.. loll

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Apr 12, 2018
waiting does not have a specific time nor day.. I got a job immediately I finished service last year Nov, resumed fully December.. Now here is the thing.. The company I did my IT called me while I was serving. Patience is the key and God by your side..
Secondly is hard work.. That's what makes me scale through with no much interview when I resumed work..
mind you, I graduated with 2:2 from Uniben.
All thanks to God and right information.. Don't ever give up, improve yourself with skills and get some certifications.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 12, 2018
K
Re: Getting A Job After Nysc: How Long Is Too Long? by EsvNwoye(m): 5:14pm On Apr 12, 2018
My broda, I have a 2.1 in estate management with a CIPM professional certificate.
I know you will get a Job. Stay calm and focused on the kind of job you want and work towards it.
Don't be too greedy about the pay but fulfilment Is paramount.
P.S. I got a Job barely two months after NYSC.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate Reacts To The Death Of 3 Corpers, Calls For NYSC Overhaul / 731 Corpers Test Positive For COVID-19 – Presidential Task Force / NYSC Is A Waste Of Time?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.