Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,053 members, 7,828,709 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

US Senator Gives Birth In Office. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Senator Gives Birth In Office. (589 Views)

US Senator Graham Claims Israel Has Right To Strike Gaza With Nuclear Weapon / US Senator's Aid Filmed Having Intimacy At US Senate Hearing Room / Cipriano Cassamá Resigns As President Of Guinea Bissau After One Day In Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Senator Gives Birth In Office. by Mike4S: 7:46pm On Apr 09, 2018
US Senator Tammy Duckworth, 50, has given birth to a daughter, becoming the first sitting female US senator to give birth while in office.

The Illinois Democrat said on Twitter that Maile Pearl Bowlsbey was named after her husband's great aunt, who served as a nurse during World War Two.

In a series of tweets, she also thanked her family and medical team.

Mrs Duckworth is a former helicopter pilot who had both her legs amputated after crashing in Iraq in 2004.

The 'miracle' that helped a US mother make history
The Iraq War veteran had previously made history when she became the first woman with disabilities elected to the US senate.
Baby Maile - the couple's second daughter - was born in a suburban Washington DC hospital on Monday.

"Parenthood isn't just a women's issue, it's an economic issue and one that affects all parents - men and women alike," she said in a statement.

"As tough as juggling the demands of motherhood and being a Senator can be, I'm hardly alone or unique as a working parent, and my children only make me more committed to doing my job and standing up for hardworking families everywhere," she continued.

Last month senators from both parties, as well as their staff, hosted a baby shower for Mrs Duckworth at the US Capitol, according to the Chicago Sun-Times newspaper, which was first to report the birth.
In January, Mrs Duckworth told the newspaper that getting pregnant with her second child was "a struggle".

Mrs Duckworth's first child, Abigail, was born in 2014 when she was serving in the US House of Representatives.

Mrs Duckworth, whose mother was from Thailand, was also among the first Asian-American women ever elected to Congress.

In 2018, Mrs Duckworth has authored several bills to help new mothers, including a bill to make airports offer a place for women to breastfeed or pump milk.

She has also called for the military to enact a policy to give personal time for new mothers to bond with newborn and adopted babies, and to make sure that student parents have access to on-campus child daycare centres.

Re: US Senator Gives Birth In Office. by LordReed(m): 10:03pm On Apr 09, 2018
Ah the woman who named Trump Cadet Bonespurs, I knew her name was familiar. Congrats to her and her husband.
Re: US Senator Gives Birth In Office. by Abbeybailey(m): 10:25pm On Apr 09, 2018
LordReed:
Ah the woman who named Trump Cadet Bonespurs, I knew her name was familiar. Congrats to her and her husband.
You are absolutely right. She was a double amputee and she's the Junior Senator from my home State (Illinois). She surely named Trump Cadet Bonespurs because that was Trampy excuse for not enlisting for Vietnam war.
Re: US Senator Gives Birth In Office. by LordReed(m): 8:48am On Apr 10, 2018
Abbeybailey:
You are absolutely right. She was a double amputee and she's the Junior Senator from my home State (Illinois). She surely named Trump Cadet Bonespurs because that was Trampy excuse for not enlisting for Vietnam war.

I think her story is more inspirational than anything I've every heard about Trump.
Re: US Senator Gives Birth In Office. by Abbeybailey(m): 1:55pm On Apr 10, 2018
LordReed:

I think her story is more inspirational than anything I've every heard about Trump.
Rightly said. She's truly an American hero and she deserves every good thing that comes her way. She was an Helicopter pilot during the Iraq and Afghanistan war and her Helicopter was shot down but she went through a lot after losing her limbs unlike Cadet Bonespurs who was a chicken during Vietnam war. She was a Congresswoman from Illinois before winning the Senate seat. Her story was and still is inspirational.
Re: US Senator Gives Birth In Office. by Mike4S: 4:06pm On Apr 10, 2018
What a woman!

(1) (Reply)

South Africa's Homosexual Constitution Bothers Us. / Being Jamaican Is More Than A Nationality, Its A Lifestyle / East African Federation: The Future Of East Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.