Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,660 members, 7,813,225 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid (7756 Views)

Top 6 SEO Most Common Mistakes To Avoid / 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher / 3 SEO Big Mistakes To Avoid When Creating The Design For Your New Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Watsoneology: 6:35pm On Apr 10, 2018
If you have a website, then you already know the importance of traffic. Traffic is to Internet marketing as the location is to real estate. It's the only thing that matters.

If you cannot generate targeted visitors to your site, you will not make any sales on your services and products

Usually the owner or designer of the website is the person designated to drive traffic to the site.

The chief ingredient in generating traffic is the search engine. Of course, you can use advertising, but it's going to cost you if you are a beginner with no budget for paid advertisement.

Using the search engines to generate targeted (interested in your product or service) traffic is the least expensive method known.

Unfortunately, many website owners do not understand the importance of search engine visibility, which leads to traffic.

They place more importance on producing a "pretty" website. Not that this is bad, but it is secondary to search engine placement.

Hopefully, the following list of common mistakes, made by many website owners, will help you generate more targeted traffic to your site...after all, isn't that what you want.

1. Not using keywords effectively.

This is probably one of the most critical area of site design. Choose the right keywords and potential customers will find your site. Use the wrong ones, and your site will see little if any, traffic.

2. Repeating the same keywords.

When you use the same keywords over and over again (called keyword stacking) the search engines may downgrade (or skip) the page or site.

3. Robbing pages from other websites.

How many times have you heard or read that "this is the Internet and it's ok" to steal icons and text from websites to use on your site?

Don't do it. Don't copy contents from other peoples website to publish on yours; It's one thing to learn from others who have been there and another to outright copy their work.

The search engines are very smart and usually detect page duplication. They may even prevent you from ever being listed by them.

4. Using keywords that are not related to your website.

Many unethical website owners try to gain search engine visibility by using keywords that have nothing at all to do with their website.

They place unrelated keywords in a page (such as "s*x", the name of a known celebrity, the hot search topic of the day, etc.) inside a meta tag for a page.

The keyword doesn't have anything to do with the page topic. However, since the keyword is popular, they think this will boost their visibility. This technique is considered spam by the search engines and may cause the page (or sometimes the whole site) to be removed from the search engine listing.

5. Keyword stuffing.

Somewhat like keyword stacking listed above, this means to assign multiple keywords to the description of a graphic or layer that appears on your website by using the "alt=" HTML parameter.

If the search engines find that this text does not describe the graphic or layer, it will be considered spam.

6. Relying on hidden text.

You might be inclined to think that if you cannot see it, it doesn't hurt. Wrong.... Do not try to hide your keywords or keyword phrases by making them invisible.

For example, some unethical designers my set the keywords to the same color as the background of the web page; thereby, making it invisible.

7. Relying on a tiny text.

This is another version of the item above (relying on hidden text). Do not try to hide your keywords or keyword phrases by making them tiny. Setting the text size of the keywords so small that it can barely be seen does this.

8. Assuming all search engines are the same.

Many people assume that each search engine plays by the same rules. This is not so. Each has their rule base and is subject to change anytime they so desire.

Make it a point to learn what each major search engine requires for high visibility.

9. Using free web hosting with ads.

Do not use free web hosting if you are serious about increasing site traffic via search engine visibility. Many times the search engines will eliminate content from these free hosts.

10. Forgetting to check for missing web page elements.

Make sure to check every page on your website for completeness, like missing links, graphics, etc. There are sites on the web that will do this for free.

This is just a few of the methods and techniques that you should avoid. Do not give in to the temptation that these methods will work for you. They will do more harm than good for your website.

Not only will you spend weeks of wasted effort, but you may also have your site banned from the search engines forever. Invest a little time to learn the proper techniques for increasing search engine visibility by getting SEO Masterclass, Just Follow The Source Link To Secure Your Copy and your net traffic will increase.

Source From SEO Masterclass https://nairalearn.com/course/search-engine-seo-masterclass/

6 Likes

Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Emeka71(m): 6:41pm On Apr 10, 2018
Watsoneology:

If you have a website, then you already know the importance of traffic. Traffic is to Internet marketing as the location is to real estate. It's the only thing that matters.

If you cannot generate targeted visitors to your site, you will not make any sales on your services and products

Usually the owner or designer of the website is the person designated to drive traffic to the site.

The chief ingredient in generating traffic is the search engine. Of course, you can use advertising, but it's going to cost you if you are a beginner with no budget for paid advertisement.

Using the search engines to generate targeted (interested in your product or service) traffic is the least expensive method known.

Unfortunately, many website owners do not understand the importance of search engine visibility, which leads to traffic.

They place more importance on producing a "pretty" website. Not that this is bad, but it is secondary to search engine placement.

Hopefully, the following list of common mistakes, made by many website owners, will help you generate more targeted traffic to your site...after all, isn't that what you want.

1. Not using keywords effectively.

This is probably one of the most critical area of site design. Choose the right keywords and potential customers will find your site. Use the wrong ones, and your site will see little if any, traffic.

2. Repeating the same keywords.

When you use the same keywords over and over again (called keyword stacking) the search engines may downgrade (or skip) the page or site.

3. Robbing pages from other websites.

How many times have you heard or read that "this is the Internet and it's ok" to steal icons and text from websites to use on your site?

Don't do it. Don't copy contents from other peoples website to publish on yours; It's one thing to learn from others who have been there and another to outright copy their work.

The search engines are very smart and usually detect page duplication. They may even prevent you from ever being listed by them.

4. Using keywords that are not related to your website.

Many unethical website owners try to gain search engine visibility by using keywords that have nothing at all to do with their website.

They place unrelated keywords in a page (such as "s*x", the name of a known celebrity, the hot search topic of the day, etc.) inside a meta tag for a page.

The keyword doesn't have anything to do with the page topic. However, since the keyword is popular, they think this will boost their visibility. This technique is considered spam by the search engines and may cause the page (or sometimes the whole site) to be removed from the search engine listing.

5. Keyword stuffing.

Somewhat like keyword stacking listed above, this means to assign multiple keywords to the description of a graphic or layer that appears on your website by using the "alt=" HTML parameter.

If the search engines find that this text does not describe the graphic or layer, it will be considered spam.

6. Relying on hidden text.

You might be inclined to think that if you cannot see it, it doesn't hurt. Wrong.... Do not try to hide your keywords or keyword phrases by making them invisible.

For example, some unethical designers my set the keywords to the same color as the background of the web page; thereby, making it invisible.

7. Relying on a tiny text.

This is another version of the item above (relying on hidden text). Do not try to hide your keywords or keyword phrases by making them tiny. Setting the text size of the keywords so small that it can barely be seen does this.

8. Assuming all search engines are the same.

Many people assume that each search engine plays by the same rules. This is not so. Each has their rule base and is subject to change anytime they so desire.

Make it a point to learn what each major search engine requires for high visibility.

9. Using free web hosting with ads.

Do not use free web hosting if you are serious about increasing site traffic via search engine visibility. Many times the search engines will eliminate content from these free hosts.

10. Forgetting to check for missing web page elements.

Make sure to check every page on your website for completeness, like missing links, graphics, etc. There are sites on the web that will do this for free.

This is just a few of the methods and techniques that you should avoid. Do not give in to the temptation that these methods will work for you. They will do more harm than good for your website.

Not only will you spend weeks of wasted effort, but you may also have your site banned from the search engines forever. Invest a little time to learn the proper techniques for increasing search engine visibility by getting SEO Masterclass, Just Follow The Source Link To Secure Your Copy and your net traffic will increase.

Source From SEO Masterclass https://nairalearn.com/course/search-engine-seo-masterclass/
Educative wrie-up.

1 Like

Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Nobody: 6:47pm On Apr 10, 2018
Emeka71:
Educative wrie-up.
But doesn't copying your full blog post and pasting on Nairaland constitute a seo flaw? I kinda think it is, or may be not! cool
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Watsoneology: 6:55pm On Apr 10, 2018
It dos'nt
If You Got Is Right

First Publish On Your Website and Submit the link to search engine for fat index

by so doing, search engine will understand that your platform is the first to publish such contents

Then You Can Publish on nairaland making sure that you add

Source Link Direct to the article on your page

By so doing search engine will never penalize you for copying

Plan To Get SEO MASTERCASS TO LEARN HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR LINK AND GET INDEX IN LESS THAN 5 MINUTE

questechie:

But doesn't copying your full blog post and pasting on Nairaland constitute a seo flaw? I kinda think it is, or may be not! cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Emeka71(m): 7:18pm On Apr 10, 2018
questechie:

No because Nairaland Forum is a general forum; is doing the reverse that is an SEO flaw.
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Watsoneology: 8:00pm On Apr 10, 2018
u r right bro
even with nairaland domain name authority you get +9 for adding your link source from nairaland thank
Emeka71:
No because Nairaland Forum is a general forum; is doing the reverse that is an SEO flaw.
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Watsoneology: 6:20am On Apr 11, 2018
Everything About SEO and Ranking Site has been simplified
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Doerstech(m): 6:42am On Apr 11, 2018
Like point 10

1 Like

Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by tayo200(m): 7:15am On Apr 11, 2018
okay
BTW today is my birthday, wish me well guys..

1 Like

Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by inoki247: 7:17am On Apr 11, 2018
how can I search blue film?
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Sarang(f): 7:18am On Apr 11, 2018
smiley

Please see my signature
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by faithfull18(f): 7:24am On Apr 11, 2018
Educative.. Have a look at my profile.
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by favour136: 7:26am On Apr 11, 2018
faithfull18:
Educative..

Have a look at my profile.

Can you build a blog for ME?
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by yjgm(m): 7:28am On Apr 11, 2018
Nice
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by prechbills1(m): 7:30am On Apr 11, 2018
faithfull18:
Educative.. Have a look at my profile.

smh
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by satowind(m): 7:30am On Apr 11, 2018
Thanks op
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by faithfull18(f): 7:31am On Apr 11, 2018
prechbills1:

smh
Why?
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by prechbills1(m): 7:44am On Apr 11, 2018
faithfull18:

Why?

your signature... are you really a lady?
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Eboss5: 7:51am On Apr 11, 2018
please guys admob said they have mail me my pin since December and i haven't received any pin till now but i requested a new one but still not received it please is there an alternative or something i can do, please guys i get some $$$ in the account
experts should me here please
They will close my account by the end of this month if i no verify am
Guys do something

Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by faithfull18(f): 7:55am On Apr 11, 2018
prechbills1:

your signature... are you really a lady?
Yes, I am. My WhatsApp contact is on my signature.I know it isn't enough proof but I am female.
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Psoul(m): 9:09am On Apr 11, 2018
inoki247:
how can I search blue film?

Make a hole on ur bathroom door. Conceal it from others. When ur sisters and other female members of ur family went to bath, quietly open it, start peeping them from there. It a good search engine for blue films. You can also snap the show, share it on Nairaland and add the link so we will know the source of ur video.
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by thinkaxis(m): 11:11am On Apr 11, 2018
Op truly knows what he is saying. Meanwhile check my signature to learn how to be self employed working for yourself online. Benefit from aliexpress affiliate program and make steady commissions while promoting your store.
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by faithfull18(f): 12:08pm On Apr 11, 2018
favour136:

Can you build a blog for ME?
Yes, I can.PM me.
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Watsoneology: 7:13pm On Apr 11, 2018
Happy Birth Day
tayo200:
okay

BTW today is my birthday, wish me well guys..
Re: 10 Search Engine Mistakes To Avoid by Watsoneology: 8:18am On Apr 12, 2018
Go here https://nairalearn.com/course/search-engine-seo-masterclass/ to secure your copy of SEO MASTCLASS NOW

(1) (Reply)

Advice To An Upcoming Blogger / *FACEBOOK ADVERTISING PLACEMENTS (FACEBOOK ADS); Let Us Place Your Own Ads Today / Can You Say Blogging Has Made You Live The Kind Of Life You Always Dreamed Of?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.