Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,176 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:33 AM

Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think (915 Views)

Pls Review Www.ebusinessinfos.com / Help Review Www.9jaboys.com / Can You Please Review Www.ogbongeblog.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by cmon(m): 10:09am On May 13, 2010
Hi fellow designers,

I just totally designed and developed a classified adverts website for Nigerians, www.myshoppingcomm.com , This is quite different from the normal thing so you should just check it out. Like I said, it's brand new and I just intend for designers, programmers and software engineers and users to test the entire website for final corrections.

KEY POINT:
1. Security
2. Usability
3. Design and Layout
4. Website Flow
[s]
Since we'll  just testing, the database will be reset by 2pm for actual commencement of use.[/s] Please what ever you can drop in to make the site better, please do.

[s]NOTE: We're still running tests,  Whatever that's on the site will be removed and the Database will be reset and cleaned up by 2pm from time of this post..[/s] Still need user inputs. extended till further notice

Go to www.myshoppingcomm.com now!

Will be updating this thread from time to time.
Drop your comments on what we can add now and how you see the idea!!!
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by Albato(m): 11:40am On May 13, 2010
For once somebody did something different!
For not having "naira" or "naija" in the site name, I award you pass mark.
The design is excellent and looks like a proper directory.
I found it very fast also while browsing
Wish you all the best.
Watch out sha. You may get banned on NL. They hate competition.
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by cmon(m): 12:39pm On May 13, 2010
For once somebody did something different!
For not having "naira" or "naija" in the site name, I award you pass mark.
The design is excellent and looks like a proper directory.
I found it very fast also while browsing
Wish you all the best.

Thanks man! The site was actually design with speed in mind. Anybody should be able to post an advert without necessarily signing up or registering and get out. I'm not really a fan of those domain names with "naija" and the "naira" word seemed to have been overwhelmed by "naira"land. Anything you do with "naira" feels like a copy work. undecided

Watch out sha. You may get banned on NL. They hate competition.
I get your point. Looking forward to that when I try to drive traffic to the site grin grin grin
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 14, 2010
Two thumbs up man. I love the site. Very Original.

Cheers!
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by cmon(m): 1:12pm On May 14, 2010
Two thumbs up man. I love the site. Very Original.

Cheers!

Unlike the Nairaland I know, not much comments are coming in. I'm guessing the app is water proof   
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by c7(m): 5:20pm On May 14, 2010
@Cmon,
take 3 gbosa! Ur website stand.
1)website flow 60%
2)Usability 80%
3)design & layout 85%
4)security-***dont know yet***
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by cmon(m): 5:49pm On May 14, 2010
@ C++,
Website flow 60%?  sad
I should be able to do better than that. Any corrections to up it to 90%  grin

Thanks for the positive comments. I guess the site is ready to fly. It's actually an open site that allows you to post ads without need for registration or creating profiles. But of course if you need to create more than one ad, it'll be better to create one for easy management and modification (setting it to sold out or available). On setting an ad to sold out, your contact information is automatically removed so no one contacts you.

What's really bothering me is how I'll get this site to the four corners of Nigeria  undecided. I know google adwords will work but mehhhn,  That thing go drain my cash sha,  sad. Any alternatives 
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by c7(m): 6:27pm On May 14, 2010
Booting. . .
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by c7(m): 6:28pm On May 14, 2010
Booting. . .
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by c7(m): 6:29pm On May 14, 2010
Booting. . .
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 14, 2010
@Anas, How far, Come messanger make we talk!!!
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by c7(m): 8:02pm On May 14, 2010
@donpuzo,
3 seconds after i got online,u went offline
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by Nobody: 8:12pm On May 14, 2010
I am so Online now!!!
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by cmon(m): 11:17pm On May 14, 2010
Okay that's it! The database has been reset and we are LIVE! Here's the real thing. smiley

It's time to market this thing. cool
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by alleno: 1:24am On May 15, 2010
Please if you don't like the comments, kindly express your own opinion. These are mine.

Really, i am sure you put in a lot of effort into your site, but let me get this very clear. You ask for a website review on May 13th, 10:09am
Three people gave comments:

Albato
cnario
c++

And you decided to launch less than a day after! Interesting! Anyways here are a few thinsg i have to say, you may eventually come up with
the excuse that you are not a graphic design person, but i guess you asked for it init!

1. First thing i notice on your site is why the state names are all in Lower Caps. A simple CSS property would have ensured otherwise.
2. There is no visual path to follow as the contents of your site are not organized. Let me explain this, What exactly does the N500 on the site stand for? Its lost in the white expanse of land you assigned to it.
3. There is no flow to the design. Opening the page, here is how i see the contents, First your big Logo jumps at the me, followed by the orange free ad thingy, before you see the Nigerian Classified text, next is the Green location bar. Not until you have looked over the site twice do you eventually come to see the top grey bar with its contents. The phone number you placed at the bottom right amazes me because i really don't see what its doing there and what it is for and i don't understand the duplicate names in the footer also.
4. The top grey bar has this links "Activate Profile | View Private Messages | Manage My Ads", but they are not accessible unless you login, don't get the logic behind that, why not show that to only those who are logged in.
5. Also forgive me but the grammar on the site is quite bad. Words that should be in plural form are not noted, i don't get why "EVERYTHING ELSE" is in the middle of the For Sale section.
6. The contents of the site all look crammed up, you should use cell padding to properly align and display web objects and give them breathing space on the site. Visitors may find the site gets boring after a while because content is placed too close together.

Above all this, even though i did not sign up, i think you may have a lot of work to do, but you are definitely off the start line. if you need more comments and critic views, do let me know. I will stop here because some people will add other comments, preferably the ones i omitted.

Cheers
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by cmon(m): 8:11am On May 15, 2010
@alleno, Now that's the review I've been waiting for!

First of all, let me address this point
You ask for a website review on May 13th, 10:09am

And you decided to launch less than a day after! Interesting!

I actually wanted to extend the time for review even further but genuine adverts started coming in. Now since I had to reset the database, I had no choice but to sacrifice those ads and clean up the database. Please dont get me wrong, I asked for the review on May 13th, 10:09am and I launched on May 14th, 11:00pm. That's more than a day by the way.  undecided

1. First thing i notice on your site is why the state names are all in Lower Caps. A simple CSS property would have ensured otherwise.

I was actually waiting to get a counter to this so I will adopt the changes with PHP. Point Noted!

2. There is no visual path to follow as the contents of your site are not organized. Let me explain this, What exactly does the N500 on the site stand for? Its lost in the white expanse of land you assigned to it
This was the reason why I wanted the review before I reset the database. With more contents coming into that section as users post, you'll get used to the price placement. At least every advert's price is clearly separated. The only thing I can do to at least keep the N500 company is to add a text underneath that says "Contact the Seller". I'll think about that anyway. The point again is that I actually didn't want want a user to be able to contact the user without viewing the item. That's just it.

3. There is no flow to the design. Opening the page, here is how i see the contents, First your big Logo jumps at the me, followed by the orange free ad thingy, before you see the Nigerian Classified text, next is the Green location bar. Not until you have looked over the site twice do you eventually come to see the top grey bar with its contents.
That's exactly the flow I had in mind. It's a new site. We can make changes later.

The phone number you placed at the bottom right amazes me because i really don't see what its doing there
Still working on the contact us page. Will remove the number tho. I get your point!

4. The top grey bar has this links "Activate Profile | View Private Messages  | Manage My Ads", but they are not accessible unless you login, don't get the logic behind that, why not show that to only those who are logged in.
Wrong!!! The only link that doesn't concern a logged user is "View Private Messages". As for Manage My Ads, even a user who doesn't have a profile should be able to manage (modify only) an ad. The difference now between a logged and un-logged user is that the logged user has a list of all the ads he's posted, making it easy for him to modify anyone he wants to.

This is funny! I'm actually still working on the un-logged user part,

5. Also forgive me but the grammar on the site is quite bad. Words that should be in plural form are not noted
If you can point them out, please do. If not, it will be reviewed as time goes on. I no too sabi english like that my brother  grin

i don't get why "EVERYTHING ELSE" is in the middle of the For Sale section.
It's arranged alphabetically and of course, there are somethings that a poster may not be able to classify or a category has not been created for.

6. The contents of the site all look crammed up, you should use cell padding to properly align and display web objects and give them breathing space on the site. Visitors may find the site gets boring after a while because content is placed too close together.
hmmm,  I'll only stick with this if some other person supports you. i don't really see the crammed area on the site

alleno, thanks for your review and the time you spent dissecting the site. I'll try to work on some of your points. Good One. More Please,
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by alleno: 9:29am On May 15, 2010
@CMON

Even though i could definitely pick up on your points and criticize further, i like the approach you have taken. You will go far.
Have fun and let me know when the next update has been done.

Ok, i am ready for the next site review, bring it up people!
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by Neptune(m): 10:36am On May 15, 2010
Sup, nice work on the back end i mean. The design is kinda confusing(i really dont know the word to use). dont get me wrong, i like the neatness. but there's smth about it i can really point out. i tthink its the arrangement. yeah, i think its that. it looks u squeezed everything together. but the neatness,

I think you shuld try to separte things a bit. it all looks confusing. atleat have a banner for your logo so it separates top from bottom. you know that site that come out when your domain name has expired, it looks pretty much like it with that google ad on the left.

Men basically, just rearrange. from the look of your work youve got what it takes. nice one and gud luck!
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by cmon(m): 10:54am On May 15, 2010
Neptune, to be frank with you, I'm a CORE PHP Developer. Probably that's why I wanted to leave the whole banner/graphics thing so the user can quickly get to where he want to and leave.

you know that site that come out when your domain name has expired, it looks pretty much like it with that google ad on the left.

Immediately you pointed this out, I just saw it. and laughed my a** out

I think I need to add more categories. When I do that, the site should kinda change.

Remember, this is a classified adverts website. So it's supposed to have a directory-like structure.

Thanks Tho!
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by Neptune(m): 2:40pm On May 15, 2010
AAlright then i'll leave you with just 2 things. Hope they help u in later works that you do. Or perphaps this one.

One last thing. The name doesnt point out what the site really does. That too adds to the confusion.

Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by alleno: 2:47pm On May 15, 2010
Interesting @Neptune, Me told tha boy same thin' man. He reply!

3. There is no flow to the design. Opening the page, here is how i see the contents, First your big Logo jumps at the me, followed by the orange free ad thingy, before you see the Nigerian Classified text, next is the Green location bar. Not until you have looked over the site twice do you eventually come to see the top grey bar with its contents.

That's exactly the flow I had in mind. It's a new site. We can make changes later.

I knew tha type me guy, me told him, he claim developer not designer later. Now he do this. Nigerian man very confusin'

@CMON, just step up your game and stop with the excuses, i was beginning to like you before but with this your code switching thingy, i may just have to pass. Being a core developer does not imply that you should have no idea about design, pulease. Get to work Man!

We waitin'
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by cmon(m): 12:43pm On May 19, 2010
Ok! I added a banner and re-arranged the site. What do you think now?
Re: Website Review: Www.myshoppingcomm.com Let Me Know What You Think by Albato(m): 2:55pm On May 23, 2010
your site does not have an About and Contact page. How will you get customer feedback or even an ivestment offer?

(1) (Reply)

This Is Hot And Smokey : Straight From The Chefs Pot / Is There Any Copyright Breach In Creating A Site Like Facebook? / Punch News Paper Website Hacked.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.