Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,885 members, 7,824,700 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? (9400 Views)

Is Entrepreneurship For Everybody / Helpful Tips For Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Program 2018 Application. / Apply For Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by mikolo80: 6:43pm On Apr 15, 2018
they are educated,just not in grammar
oyetunder:
all these observations while uneducated old women are busy making millions in idumota and balogun markets. free us joor

2 Likes

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by mikolo80: 6:44pm On Apr 15, 2018
Aderewah:
For me, the biggest advantage of entrepreneurship I'd freedom. Freedom from rules, insecurities, deadlines, compulsory punctuality, dress codes, routines, boredom, restrictions, bullying, code of outfit and lack of choice over your salary no matter how much your efforts make for the company
there is no freedom in entrep o
only freedom is if u win lottery

2 Likes

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Gerrard59(m): 6:48pm On Apr 15, 2018
hamid6249:
before you criticize entrepreneurship ...remember you can never be as rich or richer than ur employer ....so pick up a skill, nurture it and capitalize on it to bring out maximum returns
my 1kb advice

The author's point defeats yours.

Not everyone wants to be rich and not everyone can be rich. BTW, would you not want to be a Tidjane Thiam? He's not an employer but a highly paid employee. Yet, there's also a Mark Zurkerberg.

Question is: Why has Mark not urged Tidjane to be an entrepreneur? Why has Mark not called Tidjane a slave?

3 Likes

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Doerstech(m): 6:48pm On Apr 15, 2018
Do something with what you have with what you and with you possess
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Gerrard59(m): 6:50pm On Apr 15, 2018
oyetunder:
all these observations while uneducated old women are busy making millions in idumota and balogun markets. free us joor

And when have these noble women denigrated paid employment?

Learn to read, do more to comprehend.

1 Like

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by ademola020(m): 6:53pm On Apr 15, 2018
interesting
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by 1kingwriter: 6:54pm On Apr 15, 2018
This is a nice discuss.
Coming up with a write up is not bad but we need to analyze with caution.
Nigeria in a mess as it is and one of the challenges is gross unemployment. Ours is a capitalist state where independent investment ought to provide more jobs and not the government doing so.
The over flogged nature of entrepreneurship as you pointed out is a call not yet heard. When you have more entrepreneurs, you have more job opportunities for people.

Yes many people may never be entrepreneurs but there are employed entrepreneurs. Some employees who are behind the development of a new product or service ain't same with a mere cashier. The Google employee someone mentioned here cannot be there without any greater input and earn marvelously.

Do not forget that marketers who meet or over shot their target earns better. The truth be told, without problem solving entrepreneurial skills of some employees many companies would have closed.

MBA is structured to add value to companies - don't forget that.

3 Likes

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by TheTakeOver: 6:55pm On Apr 15, 2018
KillerBeauty:

You think entrepreneurship gives you freedom think again. Entrepreneurs do not clock out. They work 247. My former boss wakes up everyday around 2am ton make business calls to Australia. Entrepreneur gets controlled by their clients. They attend business meetings to meet clients and they have to be punctual all the time. They have a dress code. Mark Zuckerberg has a dress code(jeans and tees). Entrepreneurs get scared about the future of their businesses. Infact, their fear is greater cos the livelihoods of their employees rest in their hands. You wouldn't want to risk people's lives cos of your mistake. Entrepreneurs do not have it easy. In My former office I close and leave my boss at the office most times. She's always working late. To me entrepreneurs do not have much time and freedom. Staff go on leave and detach themselves from office work but a business owner will still be working and keeping up with his office during holidays

Great, Can you say this again?
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by 1beat(m): 6:57pm On Apr 15, 2018
the best entrepreneur that I know over 5years now is

Akinalabi
Akinalabi ..

Akinalabi ........ bet9ja CEO

1 Like

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by oyetunder(m): 6:59pm On Apr 15, 2018
Gerrard59:

And when have these noble women denigrated paid employment?

Learn to read, do more to comprehend.
keep forming online. They are busy setting up businesses for those who served them. Upon all your manuals...show us your paid employment too. Reality will soon show you sense when your landlord ejects you with your pamphlets.
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 15, 2018
This is the most useless post I have ever seen. Employees of today are employed as result of enterprising spirit of others. Entrepreneurship is not equal to big corporation..it includes sole owners, partnerships and companies. Again, entrepreneurship is not about money..but have the ability to be creative with your ideas...Was it money first or structure first or idea first when the big companies like facebook, google, microsoft amazon, walmart, dangote, or our fathers and mothers' business (that got us trained) etc started? It was idea that got them started. Others now see opportunity to invest on those ideas . The founders started and get going..they did not wait for money or structure before starting and get going.

Note...You can never compare the earnings of these small scale enterprises with your own...because am very sure they are far better than any salary you earn or may earn as employee..

I challenge you to go to AKARA seller and enquire of how much he/she make in a day ......

2 Likes

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by InvertedHammer: 7:12pm On Apr 15, 2018
With high unemployment, entrepreneurship seems the only option.

Instead of selling hopes and "picking calls" like the pastors do, proponents of entrepreneurship are advising people to embrace the spirit of "starting something".
Has the term be overflogged in Nigeria? Of course, just like anything Nigeria.
The question is: What are the alternatives? Unemployment, robbery, prostitution and other vices?

Worse than unemployment is the issue of non-payment of salaries as at when due. Being a paid employee is good. The key term is "paid".
Will you be paid at the end of the month? In a functioning system, one can get by comfortably well with his/her salaries. But being owed
10 months salaries-in-arrears as is obtainable in Nigeria is not very appealing/encouraging.

/

4 Likes

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by jaxxy(m): 7:16pm On Apr 15, 2018
It's a great and powerful thing when u know exactly wat it means to u and how it affects other. Money isn't the 1st thought or motivation. It's either passion for smtn or desire to solve a problem.

1 Like

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by DrayZee: 7:19pm On Apr 15, 2018
hamid6249:
Oga understand my words before splitting out rubbish..you've commuted a great fallacy by given a lateral rule to my comment
firstly where have I mentioned that you quit ur paying job?
show me the lines where I misled people .. ....
and lastly who says you can't be an entrepreneur under the employment of another employee
so bro be calm and understand people's view before you add unnecessary comment
I asked a question. Anyhow, that line "remember you can never be richer than your employer" is misleading in format. It may not have been your intent, but that's how people will see it.
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Gerrard59(m): 7:20pm On Apr 15, 2018
myboy2111:

I challenge you to go to AKARA seller and enquire of how much he/she make in a day ......

Revenue is different from profit.

1 Like

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 15, 2018
Gerrard59:

Revenue is different from profit.

Can you make profit without generating revenue?
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Kaylexzy(m): 7:37pm On Apr 15, 2018
hamid6249:
before you criticize entrepreneurship ...remember you can never be as rich or richer than ur employer ....so pick up a skill, nurture it and capitalize on it to bring out maximum returns
my 1kb advice
You can't be richer than your employer, but you can be richer than other employers. Fact is, as long as you have enough, there is really no need to compete with others.

1 Like

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by hayzed1090: 7:37pm On Apr 15, 2018
KillerBeauty:

You think entrepreneurship gives you freedom think again. Entrepreneurs do not clock out. They work 247. My former boss wakes up everyday around 2am ton make business calls to Australia. Entrepreneur gets controlled by their clients. They attend business meetings to meet clients and they have to be punctual all the time. They have a dress code. Mark Zuckerberg has a dress code(jeans and tees). Entrepreneurs get scared about the future of their businesses. Infact, their fear is greater cos the livelihoods of their employees rest in their hands. You wouldn't want to risk people's lives cos of your mistake. Entrepreneurs do not have it easy. In My former office I close and leave my boss at the office most times. She's always working late. To me entrepreneurs do not have much time and freedom. Staff go on leave and detach themselves from office work but a business owner will still be working and keeping up with his office during holidays

U think owning a business is all wat u need to be an entrepreneur ba? It's just the starting point.

1 Like

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Westbestside: 7:53pm On Apr 15, 2018
kalvoken:
Useless post

Tell me that very person who do not wish to be rich.

Don't just make urself an example 'cause am going to Laugh hard.

Nonsense! Entrepreneurship is the real deal.
The writer is high on cheap drug.
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Acidosis(m): 8:01pm On Apr 15, 2018
To understand this argument in the right order, you need to draw a line between "Entrepreneur" and "Small Business Owner" (although both are interchangeable);

The similarities are;
1. Both want to make money
2. Both are self-employed
3. Both want to work at their own pace, set their own rules, boundaries, limitations, etc.

However, there is a "tiny" difference between the word "Entrepreneur" and "Small Business Owner";

1. Small Business Owners are more likely to do what others are doing in the same manner, such as opening a small barber's shop, opening a small shop to sell clothes, shoes, or food. He's making his money by simply doing what others are doing.

Unlike an "Entrepreneur", a Small Biz Owner only wants to sell jollof rice and chicken, and he's not bothered about having his own "secret chicken recipe" like KFC Chicken.

A small business owner desires to make clothes for customers with her skills, escape poverty, and feed her family. She's not bothered about launching a clothing line and pursuing a MA degree in Fashion and Luxury from Brunel University, London.

2. Walking out of poverty with a skill is the first goal of a small business owner. Literally, the first goal of an Entrepreneur is to provide solution to a new problem, or solve an existing/long-standing problem in his/her own new way. Although, making money can also be a first underlying reason, but you wouldn't see an authentic entrepreneur boasting about how much he makes on TV. Want to know an Entrepreneur? He's always talking about his service, his solution, not how much he makes in a day.

The second aim of an Entrepreneur is to create opportunities and jobs. If you're not creating opportunities, directly or indirectly, you're not entirely an Entrepreneur. That's why a Tony Elumelu will continue to open new UBA branches, while that tailor in your neighborhood will remain in her shop, making her money anyways.

There are also those we refer to as Social Entrepreneurs. These guys MAINLY aim at solving problems. They are not NGO owners. Sure they make money, but profit is the last thing on their minds. They walk into a community without electricity and immediately, they begin to think about alternatives like solar, etc. at extremely low prices.

Following these illustrations, it becomes evident that the Nigerian Government is ONLY concerned about taking people out of poverty (SMALL BUSINESS IDEOLOGY). A clueless and a arrogantly myopic government has very little to offer real Entrepreneurs.

Don't get me wrong graduates! There is no wrong in running a SMALL BUSINESS. You can own one and still be better placed and comfortable than an Entrepreneur. As far as your goals (money) are being met, who cares? But if any government official ever mentions the word Entrepreneurship wherever grinding machine or keke napep is being distributed, please ensure you LOAD his face with multiple slaps.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Bsideboi(m): 8:07pm On Apr 15, 2018
I'm not surprised this is coming from Jarushub .
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by toluxe0075: 9:43pm On Apr 15, 2018
A very interesting and educative thread. It's so sad many will ignore it since it's big brother Naija or champions league. God bless everybody that have contributed to the thread.

1 Like

Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Sard(m): 9:54pm On Apr 15, 2018
Gerrard59:

The author's point defeats yours.

Not everyone wants to be rich and not everyone can be rich. BTW, would you not want to be a Tidjane Thiam? He's not an employer but a highly paid employee. Yet, there's also a Mark Zurkerberg.

Question is: Why has Mark never urged Tidjane to be an entrepreneur? Why has Mark not called Tidjane a slave?
I had to read about Tidjane Thiam once again. Although he has a highly placed background, he has done well for himself.
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 10:08pm On Apr 15, 2018
Sanusi son school in UK came back to become police officer..yy im no set up business....well what can I say
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by TheAlchemist: 10:18pm On Apr 15, 2018
hamid6249:
my 1kb advice

That is what GEJ thought, until he employed a certain lady called Diezani!
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Nelsmannnnnnnnn(m): 10:24pm On Apr 15, 2018
1beat:
the best entrepreneur that I know over 5years now is

Akinalabi

Akinalabi ..

Akinalabi ........ bet9ja CEO

Akin Alabi should be Nairabet CEO.
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by IMASTEX: 11:15pm On Apr 15, 2018
Aderewah:
For me, the biggest advantage of entrepreneurship I'd freedom. Freedom from rules, insecurities, deadlines, compulsory punctuality, dress codes, routines, boredom, restrictions, bullying, code of outfit and lack of choice over your salary no matter how much your efforts make for the company
Seconded
If only an employees take time to see the profit margin generated through his effort versus what is given them as salary. Trust me the cheating is unimaginable.
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by obaseno(m): 7:09am On Apr 16, 2018
hamid6249:
my 1kb advice
he did not criticize bro
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Aladeintl: 9:36am On Apr 16, 2018
It is in Nigeria that we got the spirit of enterpreneurship wrong. We think a graduate selling charcoal, barbing hair, farming, doing laundries, trading etc is enterpreneurship. Yes they are but enterpreneurship is more than that.
It involves DISTRUCTIVE THINKING in field. How do you do something that change how something is doing in your field or even new field.
How you will make hair and will be different from how Mummy Sade did her own? Which App do you think is needed in agricultural world? how do I make my cake to be easily to make than how Anty Bisi used to do her own? Can I create a website for barbers for anybody to request for home service? How will my garri be different from Iya Nkechi garri?
Dr. Ben Carson was on salary and working under government but he invented new method of craintology whereby you can remove one hemisphere of a brain and leave the other one working for the whole body. That is enterpreneurial yet he never left medical world or established hospital.
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Mavereek(m): 10:41am On Apr 16, 2018
I completely agree with this write up. Cheers!
Re: Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? by Acidosis(m): 1:50pm On Apr 16, 2018
Aladeintl:
It is in
Dr. Ben Carson was on salary and working under government but he invented new method of craintology whereby you can remove one hemisphere of a brain and leave the other one working for the whole body. That is enterpreneurial yet he never left medical world or established hospital.

Intrapreneurship

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrapreneurship

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Produce Paint: / Giverspeer.com / WITHDRAW FUNDS From PAYPAL PERMANENTLY LIMITED Account of 180DAYS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.