Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,088 members, 7,821,760 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

WHO AND WHOM: IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / WHO AND WHOM: IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE? (336 Views)

Transcripts Vs Statement Of Result.......any Difference? / Is There Any Difference Between 4.2 And 3.7 In The Labour Market? / Certificate Of Origin/identification Letter. Any Difference? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

WHO AND WHOM: IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE? by Afolearning(m): 7:20pm On Apr 14, 2018
WHO AND WHOM: IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE?

AFOLEARNING: WHO and WHOM are both relative pronouns. The are called relative pronouns because they are often used to introduce relative clauses.

CHIKA : so what is the difference?
AFOLEARNING: That's a very good question.

WHO is used in a sentence when the relative clause refers to the subject. Here are examples:

1. This the man who said I will be great.
2. The woman who told me the story is late.

Here ,WHO in both sentences refers to the subjects MAN and WOMAN respectively.

CHIKA: what about WHOM?

AFOLEARNING: WHOM is used when the relative clause refers to the object. Here are examples.

1. The lady, whom she slapped, is crying�.
2. I stumbled on the man whom the hooligan robbed yesterday.

WHOM in both sentences refers to the object who suffers or receives an action. Here, the object being referred to are the LADY and the MAN.

AFOLEARNING: Always note that WHO is often used to refer to the SUBJECT, while WHOM is used to refer to the OBJECT.

CHIKA: Thank you Afolearning! Now I understand and I can use it correctly in sentences.

#READ, LEARN, AND SHARE.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Study In China [september Intake 2018] / Top 5 Phone Cameras Of 2018 / Ajayi Crowther University 2018/2019 Admission Announced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.