Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,869 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

Saudi Arabia Holds Its First Ever Fashion Week – With No Photographers And No Me - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Saudi Arabia Holds Its First Ever Fashion Week – With No Photographers And No Me (444 Views)

Boy Who Went Viral At The Aba Fashion Week 2023 Becomes Adidas Ambassador (Pics) / Photos From The First Saudi Arabia Fashion Week Where Men Were Not Allowed In / Nina’s Plus-sized Swimwear Show At Accra Fashion Week (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saudi Arabia Holds Its First Ever Fashion Week – With No Photographers And No Me by sirsomode(m): 9:18pm On Apr 16, 2018
Saudi Arabia holds its first ever fashion week ? with no photographers and no men (photos)

Saudi Arabia held its first ever fashion week last week. But photos of the latest fashion from the deeply conservative Muslim kingdom will not flood social media feeds because photograpers were not allowed. Men were also not allowed.

In spite of the absence of men and photographers, it was a noteworthy event, with designers Roberto Cavalli and Jena Paul Gaultier featuring alongside local designers. The inaugural Saudi episode of Arab Fashion Week ran from Apirl 10-14.

Saudi Arabia holds its first ever fashion week ? with no photographers and no men (photos)

The event kicked off with an opening ceremony on Tuesday and held at the Ritz Carlton hotel in Riyadh, after it was postponed twice due to organisers citing delays in issuing visa and problems with the venue. Models finally took to the runway on Thursday in Saudi Arabia's first-ever Arab Fashion Week.

Men were allowed at the opening ceremony but the rest of the event was a female-only affair as models were not dressed in traditional abayas. The fashions that graced the runway were the type Saudi women might wear in private. In public they usually don a black, loose-fitting, floor-length cloak called an abaya.

There were restrictions on what types of clothes can be exhibited at the Riyadh show — no cleavage, nothing above the knee and nothing too transparent. Organizers were the only ones allowed to take pictures inside the tent and photos have to be cleared by government censors before publication.

The event is one of the new entertainment opportunities opening up recently in the ultra-conservative kingdom. It is one of a number of progressive moves made by Crown Prince Muhammad bin Salman, the kingdom’s de-facto leader, who is hoping to improve the country’s global image and attract foreign investors.

Layla Issa Abuzaid, country director for Saudi Arabia at the Arab Fashion Council, said when the project was announced: "The first Arab Fashion Week in Riyadh will be more than a world-class event. It is a catalyst through which we believe the fashion sector will lead other economic sectors such as tourism, hospitality, travel and trade."

"We are so excited because this is the first fashion week in Saudi Arabia, so we are making history," model Anita Dmycroska said.

Saudi Arabia holds its first ever fashion week ? with no photographers and no men (photos)Saudi Arabia holds its first ever fashion week ? with no photographers and no men (photos)

Saudi Arabia holds its first ever fashion week ? with no photographers and no men (photos)Saudi Arabia holds its first ever fashion week ? with no photographers and no men (photos)

see image at http://www.naijabomnet.com/2018/04/saudi-arabia-holds-its-first-ever.html

Re: Saudi Arabia Holds Its First Ever Fashion Week – With No Photographers And No Me by juanjo2: 9:33pm On Apr 16, 2018
that reminds me about when I served at the northern part of Nigeria, I tried to snap picture with my female Students and they refuse until I force them to snap with me... the next day all their fathers came to the school to report me, some of the fathers even came with koboko to flog me self... I then deleted the pictures and allowed Peace to reign...
Muslem and their religion be like Buhari and him wahala
Re: Saudi Arabia Holds Its First Ever Fashion Week – With No Photographers And No Me by DuBLINGreenb(m): 9:44pm On Apr 16, 2018
Feminist's and feminazi's over to you

(1) (Reply)

You Will Love These Footwears (men Only) / Remove Your Facial Black Spot In 7 Days! / I Am Looking For Wholesale And Individual Clothes Buying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.