Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,291 members, 7,826,148 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC (14354 Views)

What Can I Do With My Secondaria Certificate Awaiting Admission? / 7 Easy-to-learn Skills You Can Use To Work From Home / Advice For A Recent Electrical/electronics Engineering Graduate Awaiting NYSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by qanda: 8:22am On Apr 18, 2018
13 Life Lessons Every Nigerian Student Should Know Before Obtaining A Degree

As a student you probably would not believe us if we tell you that are absolutely naive and no, you are not on top of the world.

You will soon graduate from the university, service year is going to be awesome (at least according to the stories you’ve heard).

After service, you are going to get a job, have a family, build a home, become a millionaire and live happily ever after.

There is just one problem with your plan. The only problem with your plan is the real world.

This article is to let you know things to look out for before you graduate. You will find this information useful.

1. A Degree Does Not Entitle You To A Job

We all know getting a degree means a lot of hard work and commitment but because you have a degree does not mean somebody is going to grant you an automatic job offer.

Gone are the days when all you needed to get a good job was a university degree.

We were all told the same lies in secondary school, get a university degree and a mouth watering job would fall on your lap.

The smart people are the ones who figured out this lie early in school and made sure the time they spent in school would separate from other students who were busy enjoying school life to the fullest.

Summary,  put in extra effort to stand out, do not focus your energy solely on making the best grade. Ensure you sharpen your skills, natural abilities. Know that self-employment, entrepreneurship is not a crime.

It’s time to get your head out of the sand.

2. Start The Job Search Before You Graduate

Job hunting is a complicated thing and there is no almighty formula for you to acquire a job. Job seeking is not something you can “cram” for and pour out everything during an exam. There are no cheat notes for post-graduation experience.

The job hunting business is an on-the-training experience and the best way to get ahead of your colleagues is to start your career exploration during your service year or better yet during your university days.

You can research branches of your field, do internships (industrial trainings), find out what size of company is for you, and practice job searching techniques.

Identify the companies you will like to work with and find out what it takes to work with them. You can do this by signing up an account on linkedin. Many of these companies have their staff and profile on linkedin.

Also, when you undergo your Industrial training in a reputable company, ensure to impress to create a possibility of being employed when you graduate.

Put these tips in play and by the time you’re done with service, you’ll be prepared for the next phase of your life and it will be quite tricky for reality to hit you with tons of bricks.

3. Facebook Is Forever

Not just facebook, but twitter, instagram, and every other social network that you decide to be a part of.

What does this mean to an average student? Well it means that every obscure joke you post on Facebook, every explicit picture you share, every inappropriate comment will be visible to the world when you become famous or when you go job hunting.

At the very least, know how to manipulate your social media privacy settings and restrain yourself from littering your social media accounts with unfitting content.

Being appropriate on the web is just as important for a political career as it is for finding employment. Your binge drinking photos might be funny now but they won’t be so hilarious in five years time.

During my undergraduate years, you will not find me roaming aimlessly on facebook.  "facebook is forever" means concentrate more on your studies now, do less of social media, visit educational and career counseling portals more eg .com, wikipedia.com and also know that there is more to social media than the "annoying" use it is put. I will be glad to tell you more about social media, but thats after you have graduated. For those who have posted careless photos and writings, remember you can delete them, go ahead.....delete them.

The only social media portal I advise you to give more attention to is linkedin.com

4. Life Is Expensive if you do not add value

You are probably surviving on the allowance you receive from your parents right now and you’ve realized that life can be expensive, EXPENSIVE.

Just wait until you have to live on your own, probably during service year or when you get your first job.

By the time you pay for house rents, transportation fare, recharge cards, light bills, water bills, food, utilities, and every miscellaneous expense. It won’t take long before you realize that life is expensive.

Everything would suddenly become so expensive that you would sometimes feel like crying.

This is one of the most painful things to learn. EVERYTHING costs money.

Anytime from now, you should learn how to create a budget for yourself. Otherwise your rent will be due, your kitchen will be empty and you will be busy dodging from the people you owe money.

In contrast, Life is not expensive! At some point in life you may not be able to afford all you want. But if you explore your creativity and add value, you will be able to afford all you want later in life.

5. Never Be Scared To Take Chances

This is probably the most important lesson you have to learn before you graduate, never be scared to take chances. You’ll never get anywhere you want if you don’t take calculated risks every now and then.

No one is telling you to jump out of a plane or go swimming with crocodiles (which would be awesome if you survive), but nothing in life comes easy. Yes, it is cliché, but it the hard truth. After all, nothing can deputise experience.

When you become a graduate, the best option is not becoming a boring office robot whose life revolves around work.

Your twenties and thirties are the some of the best years of your life, we kid you not.

Do not be afraid to face the real world with open arms, explore opportunities, and take chances. You’ll be surprised at what fate has in stock for you.

Prepare your mind for entrepreneurship. Think how your skills, ability fit into the environment you find yourself. Find the needs of the people around you and work out a solution. Successful people solve problems by providing information, a product or service.

6. Learn How To Interact With People

Learning how to interact is a very valuable skill you need to have in your belt. It is a “street smart” skill. You could read a million books on how to interact with people but the only way to develop your interaction skill is to put it into practice constantly until it becomes a part of you.

This skill will surely be tested each time you go for a job interview. Heck! You even need this job more if you are an entrepreneur.

Learn to greet people with a smile. Say “thank you, please and I appreciate” whenever the situation deems necessary. These small gestures go a long way to make a huge difference. Don’t be so quick to dismiss the power of appreciation and courtesy.

Make small talk, get to know anyone you have to spend more than thirty minutes with, help them if you can. Who knows? You might meet your own saviour.

Don’t know what to talk about? You could talk about the TV shows you watch, the cool blogs you visit on the net (don’t forget to mention giftedgreen.com), the weather – hint hint : ).

Learn to be always positive, make sure people smile after talking to you.

7. A Skill Will Get You Farther Than A Certificate

What we recommend is that you pick up as many skills as possible, as long as you have a passion for it. Do not say “I am studying English Language, why do I need to learn HTML?” If you are computer major, take a couple of management trainings. It will help you in the long run.

The skills you acquire do not necessarily have to be educational; you could learn tailoring, baking, programming, carpentry . . . anything. You never know when your minor skill will become your added advantage, or your primary source of income.

Not only that, you will be able to converse with a larger variety of different people, plus it shows your employer that you are a fast and versatile learner.

During my ICT with International Energy and Services Limited (IESL) in 2008, I had a desktop computer to myself and internet connectivity. I learnt html,CSS on homeandlearn.co.uk, I learnt AutoCAD, I received some software application training on alison.com, I learnt to use Microstation for drafting etc

I was an undergraduate of Mechanical Engineering you know, these skills and the others I have acquired over the years, makes me care less of paid employment. I currently secured a job with an Oil and Maritime firm, the skills I have made me stand out amongst other applicants.

8. Add Value to Yourself

Invest in yourself. Attend training's that are relevant to your course, profession, hobbies, relevant abilities and interest. Invest money to buy a laptop and use it productively. Put in for professional exams.

Eat well, spend money to eat good food.

9. You Are Going To Need Lots of Hardwork

You are now a graduate, you no longer need to read through the night, attend boring lectures and write difficult examinations. Your life should be an easy pie from here. Right? Wrong.

In fact, this is the time that you need to work harder than you imagined, if you want to be successful.

Although you could relax; get a federal government appointment, and retire on your pension. This is perfect, if you want to be mediocre.

We are you are among those that want to be successful. In order to do that, you are going to need a lot of brain work, stay up late at nights and lots of reading if you are going to be among the 1%.

Even if your father is a billionaire, it’s a lot of hard work maintaining all that money.

What people call hardwork, I refer to as work smart. There is nothing hard in doing what you strongly believe in. Work Smart and be open to learning, change.

10.Success Takes Time

After applying all these, do not expect to become a millionaire overnight, or in a week or in a month. Success takes time.

No matter the amount of hard work, Success takes time.

If you are in a hurry to be successful, you will either fall prey to money swindlers or get yourself entangled in something highly illegal. Neither of them sounds good.

11. Apply for Undergraduate Scholarship opportunities to take tuition fee payment off the shoulders of your parent.

Stay connected to reputable Apps and web portals that publish scholarship information regularly. Among them Q and A App, scholarship-positions.com and Scholastica.ng

12 Get Some Work Experience Before Graduation
I will also advice you to engage your holidays in extra-activities with organisations who provide products, services related to your course of study or interest. Some undergraduates manage to gather over two years of work experience before they graduate you know. I once met a graduate who had just completed his NYSC with 2 years of working experience. How it happened?, He made the best of his holidays.

13. Source Study Materials, Past Questions and Answers from Q and A App.
You can source and distribute Past Questions and Answers from Q and A App. These includes Professional Exams Questions, Job Test Questions and Answers, WAEC, NECO, Post Jamb and Career Resources. Download Q and A App from Google Playstore

Note: If you have similar interest in the skills I acquired during my IT, visit the portals i referenced earlier in my analysis.

That’s all for now!

You don’t have to wait until you graduate to gain these little nuggets of wisdom. Put them to use! Then start collecting some of your own

Have something to add? Leave your comment as a post to this article.

Article Credit: Adapted from GREENGIFTED

2 Likes

Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by donqx: 8:31am On Apr 18, 2018
hmmm
Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by xcyril: 9:03am On Apr 18, 2018
These courses are idea for young school leavers waiting for admission and those waiting for NYSC call up letter

Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by Leosmart855: 12:05pm On Apr 18, 2018
qanda:
As an individual waiting to get admitted into higher institution, waiting to undergo your NYSC or undergoing your NYSC you will find the sharing below useful.

One of my Secondary mate who did not get admission on time enrolled for coding classes. He got admitted to the University when I was in 300L. He lost nothing because he was busy acquiring a relevant skill, one which he was interested in and had ability for. While in the University he was assisting Computer Science undergraduates with their assignments and project - not minding that he was not admitted for Computer Science. The guy in question now works with a leading Computer firm in the U.S

I also have a contact who studied Engineering at the University and spent is NYSC studying how to code android App. He kept at it until he got the opportunity to interview with the leading coding company in Nigeria. He got the job and the rest his history.

Therefore, no time is lost while you are waiting to get admission or undergo your NYSC, what matters is what you are doing with your time. Determine what you are interested in and go ahead to acquire the requisite knowledge or skill. For individuals undergoing NYSC, the one year is as short as a dot. You need to make the best use of that period by acquiring knowledge and/or practical skills in your areas of interest. What you make of your NYSC period will be a plus when you start attending job interviews. What will be your response to, "What did you do during your NYSC?" I hope it will not be "Watching Big Brother Africa or Watching Series Movies".......

I will stop here for now.. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Meanwhile - You can download useful resources - WAEC, NECO, Job Test, Job Interview Questions and Answers, Professional Exams Questions and Answers from Q and A App. Download Q and A App from Google Playstore
Please do you have any idea on the cost of learning how to code android app thank you.
Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by Ajokeade17: 12:14pm On Apr 18, 2018
you are not far from the truths.

1 Like

Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by Abdulmujeeb52(m): 12:30pm On Apr 18, 2018
Thickcok01:
OKADA RIDING JOIN TOO OOOOOOO
#ori e wanbe. Maruwa and Camry are not excluded .
Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by kmaxx(m): 1:22pm On Apr 18, 2018
Interesting Read...
Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by PenPrince07: 10:00pm On Apr 18, 2018
kmaxx:
Interesting Read...
Thanks!
Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by PenPrince07: 10:01pm On Apr 18, 2018
Ajokeade17:
you are not far from the truths.
Thanks.
Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by PenPrince07: 10:02pm On Apr 18, 2018
dominique:
Phone repair is a very excellent skill. I know of a number of students using it to fend for themselves
Of course, especially with the increasing level of mobile phone penetration in the country!
Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by PenPrince07: 10:04pm On Apr 18, 2018
jaid23:
I have always wanted to go learn shoe making.. As soon as i graduate thiis year, Insha Allah.. I go catapult my self to d nearest shoe-making shop that's open for appreantiship before NYSC CALL up.

It is good ti do that.
Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by visionex: 6:57am On Apr 27, 2018
Great
Re: 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC by visionex: 6:58am On Apr 27, 2018
qanda:
13 Life Lessons Every Nigerian Student Should Know Before Obtaining A Degree

As a student you probably would not believe us if we tell you that are absolutely naive and no, you are not on top of the world.

You will soon graduate from the university, service year is going to be awesome (at least according to the stories you’ve heard).
God bless u for sharing for odas to learn

After service, you are going to get a job, have a family, build a home, become a millionaire and live happily ever after.

There is just one problem with your plan. The only problem with your plan is the real world.

This article is to let you know things to look out for before you graduate. You will find this information useful.

1. A Degree Does Not Entitle You To A Job

We all know getting a degree means a lot of hard work and commitment but because you have a degree does not mean somebody is going to grant you an automatic job offer.

Gone are the days when all you needed to get a good job was a university degree.

We were all told the same lies in secondary school, get a university degree and a mouth watering job would fall on your lap.

The smart people are the ones who figured out this lie early in school and made sure the time they spent in school would separate from other students who were busy enjoying school life to the fullest.

Summary,  put in extra effort to stand out, do not focus your energy solely on making the best grade. Ensure you sharpen your skills, natural abilities. Know that self-employment, entrepreneurship is not a crime.

It’s time to get your head out of the sand.

2. Start The Job Search Before You Graduate

Job hunting is a complicated thing and there is no almighty formula for you to acquire a job. Job seeking is not something you can “cram” for and pour out everything during an exam. There are no cheat notes for post-graduation experience.

The job hunting business is an on-the-training experience and the best way to get ahead of your colleagues is to start your career exploration during your service year or better yet during your university days.

You can research branches of your field, do internships (industrial trainings), find out what size of company is for you, and practice job searching techniques.

Identify the companies you will like to work with and find out what it takes to work with them. You can do this by signing up an account on linkedin. Many of these companies have their staff and profile on linkedin.

Also, when you undergo your Industrial training in a reputable company, ensure to impress to create a possibility of being employed when you graduate.

Put these tips in play and by the time you’re done with service, you’ll be prepared for the next phase of your life and it will be quite tricky for reality to hit you with tons of bricks.

3. Facebook Is Forever

Not just facebook, but twitter, instagram, and every other social network that you decide to be a part of.

What does this mean to an average student? Well it means that every obscure joke you post on Facebook, every explicit picture you share, every inappropriate comment will be visible to the world when you become famous or when you go job hunting.

At the very least, know how to manipulate your social media privacy settings and restrain yourself from littering your social media accounts with unfitting content.

Being appropriate on the web is just as important for a political career as it is for finding employment. Your binge drinking photos might be funny now but they won’t be so hilarious in five years time.

During my undergraduate years, you will not find me roaming aimlessly on facebook.  "facebook is forever" means concentrate more on your studies now, do less of social media, visit educational and career counseling portals more eg .com, wikipedia.com and also know that there is more to social media than the "annoying" use it is put. I will be glad to tell you more about social media, but thats after you have graduated. For those who have posted careless photos and writings, remember you can delete them, go ahead.....delete them.

The only social media portal I advise you to give more attention to is linkedin.com

4. Life Is Expensive if you do not add value

You are probably surviving on the allowance you receive from your parents right now and you’ve realized that life can be expensive, EXPENSIVE.

Just wait until you have to live on your own, probably during service year or when you get your first job.

By the time you pay for house rents, transportation fare, recharge cards, light bills, water bills, food, utilities, and every miscellaneous expense. It won’t take long before you realize that life is expensive.

Everything would suddenly become so expensive that you would sometimes feel like crying.

This is one of the most painful things to learn. EVERYTHING costs money.

Anytime from now, you should learn how to create a budget for yourself. Otherwise your rent will be due, your kitchen will be empty and you will be busy dodging from the people you owe money.

In contrast, Life is not expensive! At some point in life you may not be able to afford all you want. But if you explore your creativity and add value, you will be able to afford all you want later in life.

5. Never Be Scared To Take Chances

This is probably the most important lesson you have to learn before you graduate, never be scared to take chances. You’ll never get anywhere you want if you don’t take calculated risks every now and then.

No one is telling you to jump out of a plane or go swimming with crocodiles (which would be awesome if you survive), but nothing in life comes easy. Yes, it is cliché, but it the hard truth. After all, nothing can deputise experience.

When you become a graduate, the best option is not becoming a boring office robot whose life revolves around work.

Your twenties and thirties are the some of the best years of your life, we kid you not.

Do not be afraid to face the real world with open arms, explore opportunities, and take chances. You’ll be surprised at what fate has in stock for you.

Prepare your mind for entrepreneurship. Think how your skills, ability fit into the environment you find yourself. Find the needs of the people around you and work out a solution. Successful people solve problems by providing information, a product or service.

6. Learn How To Interact With People

Learning how to interact is a very valuable skill you need to have in your belt. It is a “street smart” skill. You could read a million books on how to interact with people but the only way to develop your interaction skill is to put it into practice constantly until it becomes a part of you.

This skill will surely be tested each time you go for a job interview. Heck! You even need this job more if you are an entrepreneur.

Learn to greet people with a smile. Say “thank you, please and I appreciate” whenever the situation deems necessary. These small gestures go a long way to make a huge difference. Don’t be so quick to dismiss the power of appreciation and courtesy.

Make small talk, get to know anyone you have to spend more than thirty minutes with, help them if you can. Who knows? You might meet your own saviour.

Don’t know what to talk about? You could talk about the TV shows you watch, the cool blogs you visit on the net (don’t forget to mention giftedgreen.com), the weather – hint hint : ).

Learn to be always positive, make sure people smile after talking to you.

7. A Skill Will Get You Farther Than A Certificate

What we recommend is that you pick up as many skills as possible, as long as you have a passion for it. Do not say “I am studying English Language, why do I need to learn HTML?” If you are computer major, take a couple of management trainings. It will help you in the long run.

The skills you acquire do not necessarily have to be educational; you could learn tailoring, baking, programming, carpentry . . . anything. You never know when your minor skill will become your added advantage, or your primary source of income.

Not only that, you will be able to converse with a larger variety of different people, plus it shows your employer that you are a fast and versatile learner.

During my ICT with International Energy and Services Limited (IESL) in 2008, I had a desktop computer to myself and internet connectivity. I learnt html,CSS on homeandlearn.co.uk, I learnt AutoCAD, I received some software application training on alison.com, I learnt to use Microstation for drafting etc

I was an undergraduate of Mechanical Engineering you know, these skills and the others I have acquired over the years, makes me care less of paid employment. I currently secured a job with an Oil and Maritime firm, the skills I have made me stand out amongst other applicants.

8. Add Value to Yourself

Invest in yourself. Attend training's that are relevant to your course, profession, hobbies, relevant abilities and interest. Invest money to buy a laptop and use it productively. Put in for professional exams.

Eat well, spend money to eat good food.

9. You Are Going To Need Lots of Hardwork

You are now a graduate, you no longer need to read through the night, attend boring lectures and write difficult examinations. Your life should be an easy pie from here. Right? Wrong.

In fact, this is the time that you need to work harder than you imagined, if you want to be successful.

Although you could relax; get a federal government appointment, and retire on your pension. This is perfect, if you want to be mediocre.

We are you are among those that want to be successful. In order to do that, you are going to need a lot of brain work, stay up late at nights and lots of reading if you are going to be among the 1%.

Even if your father is a billionaire, it’s a lot of hard work maintaining all that money.

What people call hardwork, I refer to as work smart. There is nothing hard in doing what you strongly believe in. Work Smart and be open to learning, change.

10.Success Takes Time

After applying all these, do not expect to become a millionaire overnight, or in a week or in a month. Success takes time.

No matter the amount of hard work, Success takes time.

If you are in a hurry to be successful, you will either fall prey to money swindlers or get yourself entangled in something highly illegal. Neither of them sounds good.

11. Apply for Undergraduate Scholarship opportunities to take tuition fee payment off the shoulders of your parent.

Stay connected to reputable Apps and web portals that publish scholarship information regularly. Among them Q and A App, scholarship-positions.com and Scholastica.ng

12 Get Some Work Experience Before Graduation
I will also advice you to engage your holidays in extra-activities with organisations who provide products, services related to your course of study or interest. Some undergraduates manage to gather over two years of work experience before they graduate you know. I once met a graduate who had just completed his NYSC with 2 years of working experience. How it happened?, He made the best of his holidays.

13. Source Study Materials, Past Questions and Answers from Q and A App.
You can source and distribute Past Questions and Answers from Q and A App. These includes Professional Exams Questions, Job Test Questions and Answers, WAEC, NECO, Post Jamb and Career Resources. Download Q and A App from Google Playstore

Note: If you have similar interest in the skills I acquired during my IT, visit the portals i referenced earlier in my analysis.

That’s all for now!

You don’t have to wait until you graduate to gain these little nuggets of wisdom. Put them to use! Then start collecting some of your own

Have something to add? Leave your comment as a post to this article.

Article Credit: Adapted from GREENGIFTED

(1) (2) (Reply)

167 Policemen Deployed To Northeast Didn’t Abscond – Police / Poor Remuneration: Mass Exodus Of Officers May Hit Customs / Lawyers' Bench: Court Matters & Ors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.