Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? (38626 Views)

Tips On Stretching Your Relaxers For Hair Health And Growth / Best Hair Relaxers Or Cream For Darkening Of Hair / Using Relaxers-how Early Is Too Early? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by brownbaby(f): 4:28pm On Mar 14, 2007
Kit Or Cup Relaxer: Which Is The Best?

Hi Ladies in the house,

Which hair relaxer have you used in the past?

Which are you using now, Kit or Cup? And whats the condition of your hair?

Was using Dark & lovely kit, later changed to Creme of nature kit too, I also steam my hair every three months after retouching and you need to see my hair tongue lustrous, long, full, i'm always a cynosure of all eyes kiss.

What about you, Kit or cup relaxer, which one works for you?
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by tunmininu(f): 7:10pm On Mar 16, 2007
@brownbaby,good write-up.I use Dark & Lovely kit.Infact,the kit is the best,no doubt about that.It relaxes ur hair without having to worry about it getting burnt and i also discovered that it makes the hair grow,at least for me.
Did u say your hair is lustrous,full and long?I think u need to see mine before u conclude.IT GLITTERS : smiley
I will advise we ladies,should use the kit,it's really worth using.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by Ameena(f): 2:48pm On Mar 21, 2007
Well, i rily don't know about this because i'm kindda frustated right now.
Have been using dark & lovely cup all my life & it has been quite good for me thou my hair isn't that full but it's quite long! But Recently like 2weeks ago to be precise, i decided to try the Dark & Lovely kit for the first time & Boy,  My hair has been falling off like a bad omen since then. I've tried steaming, treatments, almost ev'thing & nothing seems to be working. It just keeps chopping esp from behind & infront, It's really getting horribly scantier & it's now so short . At this point i really need help fast because my hair that had always been very long thou not too full but right now looks like a scary movie, is rily giving me cause for concern & i'm sure it's all because of that KIT!!!.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by kemisole(f): 8:47am On Mar 22, 2007
kit is the best, i use cream of nature relaxer
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by brownbaby(f): 10:22am On Mar 22, 2007
@Ameena

I understand how u feel. Whats your retouching time interval?
May be the hair was not due for retouching when you retouched, for light hair, it could be 7wks or more
it could also be that u used super which will be too strong for your hair
considering the fact that ur hair is light weighted("my hair isn't that full but it's quite long"wink.

Whatever, I'll advise you leave the hair for now, you can get wigs
and just leave the hair to recuperate, then retouch lightly using regular kit, then watch.steaming should always be done after two wks of retouching, u can also use emily and styling mousse often, it makes ur hair bounce and full. If the hair doesn't respond well, then maybe u have to stick to ur cup, but avoid changing relaxers often anyway.

Been learning hairdressing (aside my job) for some months now, so think this tips will help.

Miniwilly, keep us posted, cheers wink

@Kemisole

My dear it is da bomb! Though the nature of your hair is important here,
but the relaxer u use and the treatments brings out the best in ur hair.

"It" is our glory u know. It keeps the guys turning thier heads and tripping them off balance. wink

Guys I lie?
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by Ameena(f): 12:27pm On Mar 22, 2007
@brownbaby

Girl, thanks a mil. I always retouch after every 2or 3 months so it's always very due before i retouch . Anyhow, I'll try those tips & pray + hope they'll actually work. Thanks again girl!
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by brownbaby(f): 12:55pm On Mar 22, 2007
u're welcome dear, like i said find me out on naira land

and let me know the outcome, may take months i know, but wish to hear good news

'bout ur hair. cheers.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by hannydarl(f): 2:54pm On Apr 10, 2007
I used soft and beautiful kit dark and lovely kit dint work for me now i use the kids kit of soft and beautiful just for me it works since my hair is very soft and breaks easily anytime i use hard relaxers but can anyone tell me how hair is steamed especially at home since i do my retouching myself as most stylists here dont listen when i say ny hair is done and they comb it when retouching causing it to hurt so if posible i wouls like to steam my hair myself.Pls how do i steam what do i need to steam my hair>
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by DewDrop(f): 3:09pm On Apr 10, 2007
Well if you have a steaming machine- you can steam easily at home.
If you don't the what you'd be doing at home won't technically be 'steaming'
You can heat up the deep conditioner or cholesterol, apply it to your hair, cover with shower cap and wrap a hot towel around your whole head. (Stick it in boiling water) or wrap a dry towel around your shower cap and stick a hand dryer between the layers and imaging you have a heating cap on.

That should give you the closest you can get to 'steaming' without a home steamer.
Hope it helps.

P.s- try a different stylist at a reputable salon if you've been having issues with stylists listening to you. Go on People whose judgment you trust recommendations only. If you need referrals in Lagos or Oyo State, let me know.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by hannydarl(f): 7:57pm On Apr 10, 2007
Thanks dew i am grateful for the tips.I realy like retouching my hair myself i am now used to having the retouching proces move at my own pace now i visit the salon when i need a trim and when i want to set my hair.I will try the steaming at home and let you know the outcome.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by irefunke(f): 1:54am On Apr 11, 2007
I have short cut natural hair.I stopped braiding when I removed my 'one million braids' last year May.Since then I have gone on short natural cut.
I want to start doing something on my hair but I can't still figure it out .
What can I start with that will not be expensive considering the weather condition and what I can maintain my self.
Some said baby curls,jerry,perming waves please help out with reasons .Thank u alot.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by omoge(f): 3:43am On Apr 11, 2007
Ire funke,

i will be looking forward to response to your post cuz am in the same situation, no more relaxer for me for now. my hair is all natural still looking for what to do with it.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by hannydarl(f): 11:05am On Apr 11, 2007
Ire funke, i think you should do short perming but you have to visit the salon 1ce every week.I feel those hair styles you mentioned are out of vogue(my personal opinion)perm is usually good on short hair though it gets rough quickly compared to long hair and since you cant neglect it as we do with long haie i.e comb and pack with hair burn you have to visit the salon at least once in a week.I once cut my hair short too cos it was breaking after using a relaxer that dint suit it when i started making it i just permed it the small rollers mahe the perm stay and i must say if not for the fact that i love my hair long i would have continued triming my hair cos i looked better when my hair was permed short.

@omoge
I believe all those hairstyles mentioned by ire-funke will require you to use relaxer the only thing you can do without relaxing your hair is to plait it i.e braiding or fix your hair or dread it i cant think of any other hair style that does not require relaxer if ther is i will like to know.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by DewDrop(f): 11:15am On Apr 11, 2007
@ ire-funke & omoge I applaud you ladies for your courage @ NO MORE RELAXERS!

[b]Hannydarl [/b]has made excellent points, unless you have more specific needs- ie something you can do and upkeep at home, something that requires professional maintenance. Though you don't want relaxers- do you want to process your hair or are you looking to keep it virgin? From there the options available would be easier to list.

cool
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by iice(f): 12:58pm On Apr 11, 2007
Never relaxed my hair, dunno what to use or what is even good. undecided But i like the suggestions, i shall read up more on the posts and see which i could use. I like experimenting, because i have bleached and colored my hair @ home, so relaxing it @ home should be a piece of cake.

PS, i prefer my hair to look like its alive not some coconut husk used for shinning ground. So if the kit is the way to get that, then i shall try that.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by DewDrop(f): 1:24pm On Apr 11, 2007
I have to caution against relaxing your hair at home- it's hard for you to keep the relaxer only to the new growth! that overlap will eventually weaken your hair to the point of breakage! So if you must relax/retouch at home, have someone there with you to make sure you only apply to new growth.

As with any hairstyle and the Nigerian climate, keeping the hair clean and moisturized is key!

I'll post a list of hairstyle options for short hair and pictures if I can find any later!

I learned that Nigerians call styles by different names!!

"I want to put tracks in" really means nothing to most stylists!
cool
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by irefunke(f): 2:44pm On Apr 11, 2007
Dewdrops,
Thanks for ur concern.But u didn't get me well.Not that we want to leave it natural,we are thinking of what to start doing with the hair all over again.Just not to make it natural.Combing hair in the noon when is rough especially when u are not at home to sprinkle water on it,is usally painful.
Going to the saloon in western world is like saving to biuld a castle on atlantic ocean(not greedy ooooooo).Come to think of the time u'll spend at the saloon.The major issue there is money .My hair gets rough everyweek.does that mean I have to visit the saloon everyweek?That is the major reason we are looking for self maintained hair do or style be it jerry,short waves ,permed hair anything at all it could be with tinted colour any suggestion at all is welcome.
THANK UUUUUUUUUUUUUU EVERYBODY IN THE HOUSE.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by omoge(f): 3:07am On Apr 12, 2007
ire funke, you are correct. it's costly to go to the salon. i go to jc penny to do my hair (that was before i cut it) man! that wasn't funny for a student. am thinking of twist, that's costly too.

i saw a lady who has straight hair she did not use relaxer, if you should see her hair, it looks like she use relaxer but did not. i'm yet to be clear how she really came abt that. she talked abt her hair dresser using hotcomb and hot iron, can anyone comment on this?
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by irefunke(f): 11:04pm On Apr 12, 2007
Omoge,
some ladies use texturizer kit to make their hair look curly,that u can do at home by yourself .Using that ,the only thing that can take u to the salon is when u want to cut ur hair or shape it.That will make u to have a low cut if u want to make it low,aside that u can go on baby curls, all u need to do is just to moistourise it everyday,then u become good to go.that could save alot of bucks u know.If u want to braid it along the line u can still do that after d braids u can still go back to ur usuall low cut

1 Like

Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by OmoEko1(f): 11:10pm On Apr 12, 2007
The kit relaxer is really good
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by bluesky4(f): 8:54pm On Apr 13, 2007
If you want to straighten your hair, but you dont want to use relaxer, than i advice you to use hair straightners.
Many black people think its only for white people, but, if you get the good ones like GHD, then your hair can look just like people who relax theres.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by hannydarl(f): 10:25pm On Apr 13, 2007
I tried hair sraightners but it dint work for me i feel they are not meant for african or curly hair.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by maree7(f): 10:32pm On Apr 13, 2007
I have been using dark n Lovely kit since i was young, it is very good, it doesn't chnage the color of ur hair it leaves it "dark and lovely".  kits are betta because you have all the stuff u needed to finalze ur relaxing. And it is best when u  wash ur hair about 4 or 5 times with the neurtralizing shampoo to prevent breaking. And it is also betta when u stick to one particular relaxer.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by hannydarl(f): 10:33pm On Apr 13, 2007
@ dewdrop

Thanks sister i tried the steaming stuff on my hair it became soft and stoped breaking though i dint use the steaming machine i used the hot towel though i feel what i got is half what it should have been.Thanks anyway.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by maree7(f): 10:35pm On Apr 13, 2007
hannydarl:

I tried hair sraightners but it dint work for me i feel they are not meant for african or curly hair.

I feel u , hair straighteners usually break my hair, i mean it look all good at first but later on it starts to break.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by maree7(f): 10:37pm On Apr 13, 2007
@ DewDrop

thanx imma try that steaming stuff
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by hannydarl(f): 10:47pm On Apr 13, 2007
@ all

I used egg white mixed with milk as a mask for my hair cos i couldnt get deep conditioner but i advise people you to warm olive oil mix it with egg white and mask the hair before steaming i used milk cos olive oil was not available.Dont mix olive oil with egg white if oil is hot allow to get warm.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by Sexyabby(f): 1:50am On Apr 14, 2007
I use sofn'free n'pretty kit nd dark and lovely kit.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by kellorah: 5:03pm On Apr 14, 2007
Kit!!

i use OLIVE OIL. it's really good on my hair.
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by omogenaija(f): 5:45pm On Apr 14, 2007
i used so many relaxers dark & lovely , profectvie , soft & beautil , texture and tones , motions , and now i go to a hair stylist that uses african pride for my hair, and she said next time she will use a different one lipsrsealed
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by kellorah: 5:47pm On Apr 14, 2007
be careful cos i heard too many different types change hair colour, and bla bla bla lipsrsealed
Re: Hair Relaxers: Kit Or Cup? by omogenaija(f): 5:51pm On Apr 14, 2007
i know , but i just started going to the stylist that relaxes my hair last year and my hair has been in its best condition , but b4 then i used to switch relaxers

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Most Expensive Wrist Watches Nigerians May Have / CUSTOMIZE | PERSONALIZE YOUR CLOTH LABELS, PAPER TAGS, AND CLOTHING ACCESSORIES / G-string Fever:how Does It Feel To Wear It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.