Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,431 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! (888 Views)

Expected Renumeration / Two Job Offers. I Am Confused / Fortis Vacancy With Attractive Renumeration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! by Afroprince(m): 4:52pm On May 15, 2010
Hi good people, i need constructive suggestions pls, i am married with a son, wifey is a student in 3rd yr. I worked as a tv presenter and later moved on to radio as a presenter/producer/DJ, i did this for 4years of my life and loved every minute of it. Later moved to banking where i stayed for 3yrs but now i am an asst mgr in an IT firm, i take care care of their branding issues. My problem now is that cos of skool i stay far from my young family, i am in Lagos and the are in Enugu, secondly i hate Lagos cos i awake 4:30am everyday and leave my house 5:30am to avoid traffic. I earn close to 250k a month with other incentives but yet i am not satisfied with the job, Lagos, the traffic (the fact that i have to struggle driving to & fro work against heavy traffic) and most especially not being close to my family. I just got an appointment to move back to radio in the east, 1hr drive away from my family for a salary of 90k a month, a flat, health insurance and 6months salary review. What should i do? i love media, its my life but taking a paycut of 150k for job satisfaction is scary? i need your honest contributions, u could be saving a life, waiting for your answers, one love!
Re: Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! by konti(f): 4:57pm On May 15, 2010
dearest firend. i understand the predicament you are in. but its better u continue with ur present job.at least taking care of ur family wud not be much of a problem. u can make it a point of duty to be travelling 2ice a month to visit ur family. currently, am not satisfied with the job i do,but i need all the money i can get to foot my bills.
ur wife and son wud love u for this. wink

best of luck pal
Re: Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! by konti(f): 4:58pm On May 15, 2010
seeing ur wife and family everyday and not been able to take care of them does not just make sense. or does it? thats my humble opinion. grin
Re: Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! by Afroprince(m): 5:12pm On May 15, 2010
thanks Konti, i am wondering if i can work around the 90k, then look out for opportunities to exploit via being an on-air personality, sometimes money really comes in via other areas in media, but it is not a guarantee shaa, really thinking, very confused!
Re: Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! by dove24u(m): 5:28pm On May 15, 2010
Job satisfaction is the most important in every career , since you have stated your passion, try to follow your heart, beside money is not everything, you need to balance your career as well with your family. you are working because of your family. If you look at it very well you will see that with that 90k and accommodation it will better off than lagos.It will save you of traveling all the time to see your family and even the Lagos expenses couple with paying for your two accommodation both in Lagos and where you family resides if you look at it very well.You work because of your family not the other way round. Shallom smiley
Re: Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! by donshabaz(m): 5:44pm On May 15, 2010
Bro, i think u really need to weigh ur options, its not always easy at first wen u want to cut off, but sometimes its better to follow ur passion, criticism will come but:
1. Do u have a long term/short term plan, business wise
2. Can u cope with a reduction in ur income? since u'll still depend on salary, (the employed)
3.U shld always have an exit plan, do u plan on working for the bank/radio all ur life
4. if u have to quit ur 250k job and go for 90k job still on the rat race, i'd say no, but u if have plan B, as in business that u've developed over time and u feel with a job security of constant 90k plus ur thriving business its ok then.
if otherwise, take ur time now to start up sometin(business) u can fall back on in d future.
Above all ask God for divine directions, wish u the best in watever u do Cheers

The choices u make forge ur destiny
Re: Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! by Afroprince(m): 5:49pm On May 15, 2010
Dove u are right, i work to live and not live to work, i take care of people more than i spend my money on ME but its already telling on my health, BP is getting higher by the dayand i am only 31, i complain a lot lately but for how long can i continue like this? but i really dont wanna make a mistake o! still very confused ooo!
Re: Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! by Afroprince(m): 5:59pm On May 15, 2010
Shabaz, i have that plan but dont have enuf capital yet to start and i have only 2wks to take the job or leave it. I am thinking of combining the job with mceeing occassions, get a DJ set for myself for parties, organise quarterly shows and also DJ in niteclubs if need be! but in all this, i need a capital, have 250k savings, can i start anything profitable with that now, any idea? i have fun doing radio, i dont feel like i am working while doing this job at all, but fear of the future and the unknown whether all my plans will work out is messing with my brain.
Re: Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! by dove24u(m): 8:35pm On May 15, 2010
Afroprince:

Shabaz, i have that plan but dont have enuf capital yet to start and i have only 2wks to take the job or leave it. I am thinking of combining the job with mceeing occassions, get a DJ set for myself for parties, organise quarterly shows and also DJ in niteclubs if need be! but in all this, i need a capital, have 250k savings, can i start anything profitable with that now, any idea? i have fun doing radio, i dont feel like i am working while doing this job at all, but fear of the future and the unknown whether all my plans will work out is messing with my brain.

Follow your heart and where your passion lies i.e Job satisfaction.

God will direct your path.
Re: Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! by donshabaz(m): 11:17pm On May 15, 2010
Well u can follow ur heart having had some plans, plus from Doves's analysis its possible its cool too comparing lagos expenses. Plus the entertainment thing may be the break u're waiting for,
Money most time is nvr enuff, capital most times is never available or sufficient, but a viable business plan and high conviction with moral can drive it there,
1.apllications for sponsorship can be made , u can design a business plan to partner with ur radio station, and work out some modalities like they can organise occasions /announce party ceremonies and u will host it/ anchor it, e.g monthly birthday parties for kids(free for kids born in the month) which can be an avenue for u to showcase ur talent, shld also b prepared wit ur business cards and its placed on tables and strategic points for the guest to handle it, use medias to advertise ur self, Internet, can promote u too chk for business listing sites like www.smallbizigeria.com, facebook fan page, twitter.com
2. Get links in the higher instituitions around and host parties by partnering with certains clubs or societies in the school, of course using ur radio influence,
3. make sure while u host ur programs , don't be too regimented, be more global, have topics that will interest the youths(cos they are ur target market) so u can use it as a unique selling point-USP,
4. U have to keep researching, bring in latest news on entertaiment both foreign and local, music, new releases, singles, new videos describing them to listeners, asking for their opinon by call/msg, be the first to drop latest infos ,
5.try to bring guest appearances on ur shows like working a way to bring artists; popular,upcoming and state-born artists. Producers, executives, to educate the young ones, t
5.Try to regulate the campus gist, on talk shows,
6. all this to catch ur audience and make them long for u,
7. save up ur money, inquire about equipments, buy them peace-meal, rent/hire equipments if u have to for a start. Make the best of ur equipments be very good at the lastest, Dj equipments, try developing ur music production skills as well u never know u might start having talents u want to promote,
8.U may start hving a shop where u sell CDs, novels, mixtapes, DVDs, like "Music world", in a good location(u have to be unique by decorarting it properly having screens for video display, probably air conditioned, make mixtapes of latest singles based on individual selections, for sales.

"My Brother there are opportunities everywhere" once u hv d drive go for it in good faith and wit all integrity, avoid shortcuts, be prudent and frugal in ur expenses, and ask for God's guidiance and by God's grace in a short while u'll be back to share a great testimony, cheers
Re: Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! by AnonymouslyMe(m): 1:07am On May 16, 2010
Well, what can I say? I think they av said it all.

* It isn't always about the money.
* Your family needs you.
* Always follow where your passion lies. There's nutin like doing what u have passion for, It just flows.

Cheers
Re: Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? I Am Confused! by Osama10(m): 3:19am On May 16, 2010
Man whatever you think is Job Satisfaction for now can be Job Unsatisfaction tommorow.

Stick with your present job your wife would finish in a year's time and should join you in lagos.

(1) (Reply)

Sss Interview In Lagos / Nnpc Recruitment Pls Assist On The Correct Web Address / Vacancy At Sab Associate,accountant Required.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.