Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? (6457 Views)

Why Aren't Somali Woman In Hollywood???? / Post your photos of Igbo village houses here / Why Aren't There Any Successful Black Nations In The World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by oluite(f): 1:41pm On Mar 15, 2007
@lawanjins
ar u 4 real?
all my aunties av thier own properties.I dont see why a woman can't hav her own property.My granny had her own property wen she was alive.Men that hav probs wit dis either hav wives dat ar not matured enough to handle avin properties n ar disrespectful or d men themselves av majr probs wit thier egos
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by lawenjins(m): 2:18pm On Mar 15, 2007
thanks for all you comments i agree with you that they deserve the right to own moveable and landed property.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:16pm On Mar 15, 2007
lawenjins:

thanks for all you comments i agree with you that they deserve the right to own moveable and landed property.

Dude, shut up. You were saying otherwise before.

and what's with the dumb "oh which part of Nigeria" questions? Point is it's IN NIGERIA, what part doesnt matter. Infact the OP phrased her question wrong as it's not that woman arent allowed to put money down for land or property just that some people tend to have a problem with her doing so, in other words questioning the act with the excuse that it should be a man's deal and all property should be under the husband or males in the family. I mean some mentioned the whole some wives have to "buy the house behind his back", why would she need to do that?
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by jiggo(m): 5:45pm On Mar 15, 2007
Any lady can own any property, but i still subscribe to the lady telling d husband, was trust not the basis of their marriage? Dont feel threatened jooo

@ThiefoftheHeart
take am easy now, haba, d guy fit dey repentant after the thorough analysis by folks in here,

@Oluite,
R u sure of what u just said? I no your granny and aunties o wink
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by lewa(m): 8:02pm On Mar 15, 2007
@Topic
Perhaps amongst the women in purdah ~they are properties of their husbands and since they are kept indoors are not allowed to work!Amongst my tribe,Ijebus women have been owning properties for millenia.It's actually an anathema for a woman not to be industrious and have her own stuff.My great grand ma,grand ma and mum all ran their shows without any male interference~and also without asking for!
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Mar 15, 2007
yeah Lewa, i agree with you.
Funny thing was i got a copy of the widow yesterday (you know urself!! kiss), after watching it i had to reconsider my oppinion. Perhaps many of us have never experienced it before but in the hinterland where many of us never go to, the practice of female domination still goes on.
The movie reminded me of 1998 when my grandpa died and my grandma had to go through some of the things i saw in the widow. had her head shaved off, was not allowed to attend the funeral and had to spend a week stuck in her kitchen with some old ladies busy "mourning" except she was not supposed to shed tears . . . shocked

This things still go on, many of us are lucky to be on the good end of the stick. Or maybe its part of culture that is fading away?
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:18pm On Mar 15, 2007
Olodo, nah Nollywood dey open your eyes?

tongue
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 9:33pm On Mar 15, 2007
@thiefofhearts

abi! at least nollywood has helped one person! Lol. they arent entirely useless.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 12:04am On Mar 16, 2007
The movie reminded me of 1998 when my grandpa died and my grandma had to go through some of the things i saw in the widow. had her head shaved off, was not allowed to attend the funeral and had to spend a week stuck in her kitchen with some old ladies busy "mourning" except she was not supposed to shed tears . . .

Since when did mourning imply women domination?. . .I suppose your husband dying, you apply make-up and start looking jolly the next day, that should imply women liberation. RUBBISH. . .There is nothing wrong in a woman mourning her husband.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 12:18am On Mar 16, 2007
Donzman:

Since when did mourning imply women domination?. . .I suppose your husband dying, you apply make-up and start looking jolly the next day, that should imply women liberation. RUBBISH. . .There is nothing wrong in a woman mourning her husband.

Really its not compulsory that you MUST post on every board if you have nothing to say. undecided
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:23am On Mar 16, 2007
You arent making sense Donzie.

If anything he was talking about the fact that she was stripped of her husband's properties, more so the whole mourning and since when was not going to the funeral and NOT crying a healthy way to mourn a loss?
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 12:58am On Mar 16, 2007
davidylan:

yeah Lewa, i agree with you.
Funny thing was i got a copy of the widow yesterday (you know yourself!! kiss), after watching it i had to reconsider my oppinion. Perhaps many of us have never experienced it before but in the hinterland where many of us never go to, the practice of female domination still goes on.
The movie reminded me of 1998 when my grandpa died and my grandma had to go through some of the things i saw in the widow. had her head shaved off, was not allowed to attend the funeral and had to spend a week stuck in her kitchen with some old ladies busy "mourning" except she was not supposed to shed tears . . . shocked

This things still go on, many of us are lucky to be on the good end of the stick. Or maybe its part of culture that is fading away?

Maybe my Reading anc Comprehension experts can point out where anything about property was mentioned there?

There is nothing wrong with a woman shaving her head or mourning her husband according to tradition.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 1:12am On Mar 16, 2007
undecided
When a woman is bound by a "tradition" that denigrates her it does not take a rocket scientist to tell that such a woman should count herself lucky to own a pin in her husbands house.
When your mother has to go through the "rites" that my grandmother went through, have more than half of her farmland taken away from her by relatives then we can begin to debate. Until then continue running through various threads making unfounded statements that makes one wonder if you apply any shred of common sense before you type.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 1:18am On Mar 16, 2007
Did you mention anything about farmland in your prior post?. . .Ode!

Point still remains, I see nothing wrong with a woman shaving her head. Infact where I come from, all family members are supposed to shave their heads. Shaving your head isn't that difficult, I don't see anything denigrating about it.

You talk of your grandma, was she childless?. . .What were her children doing while they were stripping their mom of their belongings? Weak!
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by 4Play(m): 1:20am On Mar 16, 2007
@Donzman

This your descent into lunacy is hilarious grin You seem to be engaged in a one man campaign against common sense
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 1:22am On Mar 16, 2007
@donzman

last time i checked, shaving off a woman's head will not resurrect her husband from the dead! how come men dont go through all these so called rites?
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 1:22am On Mar 16, 2007
When people take a debate to the realm of insulting my parents, its time to let them have the floor.
With the way you're taking this personal, one would assume my grandmother was your wife.

Carry go with your display of infantile deliquency!  cheesy
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 1:23am On Mar 16, 2007
So saying a woman should shave her head when her husband dies in lunacy? OR is saying that Dvidylan's uncles/aunts should have defended his grandma lunacy?. . .Why did your parents stand by why your grandma was treated that way?

I won't even sit here and anyone will treat my grandma like that, are you kidding me?. . .Since when did your balls get that big?

@spoilt

Men shave their head too, it's only not mentioned because men wear shaved heads already AND Men often die earlier than women.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 1:25am On Mar 16, 2007
@donzman

the point is that she should not have to need anybody's defence before she can keep property that belongs to her! WTF!
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 1:26am On Mar 16, 2007
@donzman

and yeah guys shave their heads sometimes but those that dont want to are not tackled to the floor, held in a choke hold and shaved bald.they are left alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 1:27am On Mar 16, 2007
My dear donzie, when you remove your head from the clouds of london, Canada (wherever that is!) and realise that there are some customs in your fatherland that not even you can change then you can begin to argue.

When i was your age (i presume you are 12 with the way you debate!), i was arguing with my mother why granny had to have her head shaved, sit on ashes and could not go with us to the funeral. . .
Now that i'm older, i know better.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 1:30am On Mar 16, 2007
spoilt:

@donzman

the point is that she should not have to need anybody's defence before she can keep property that belongs to her! WTF!

Have your ever heard of BULLYING?. . .If there is nobody to defend the woman or even man for that matter, opportunists will always come along to take what they feel they can. Heck look away from Nigeria, look what is happening in the James Brown or Anna Nicole Smith case. Opportunists will come and take away whatever they can. It's upto the woman's children to come and defend their mother's rights, if they do not do that, opportunists will take over.

spoilt:

@donzman
and yeah guys shave their heads sometimes but those that don't want to are not tackled to the floor, held in a choke hold and shaved bald.they are left alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you know this?. . .Men shave their head and do whatever they have to do. It's hair for chrissake, what's the big deal?
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 1:36am On Mar 16, 2007
@donzman
its just hair ke? maybe for men since they are bald most of the time but for most women, they probably have never been bald aside from when they first came into this world! and they dont even let you go to the barber. they shave you themselves slowly and publiclywith a blunt razor! as if you killed him. a woman's hair is her covering. i believe it shd never be messed with.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 1:37am On Mar 16, 2007
What is this world turning into?. . .Shaving your head is now too much of a sacrifice when your husband dies?

a woman's hair is her covering. i believe it should never be messed with.

Shaving your head SIGNIFIES the passing on of your husband!
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by 4Play(m): 1:38am On Mar 16, 2007
Donzman:

What is this world turning into?. . .Shaving your head is now too much of a sacrifice when your husband dies?
Its not the nature of the act that is problematic but the compulsion.

I don't think a woman's sense of loss can be measured by her hair strands.If she does not want to mourn her husband in a particular manner,then she should not feel compelled to do so.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 1:43am On Mar 16, 2007
I can as well say I do not want a wedding, I could invest the money spent on something else. Right? But it is something that is culturally expected to signify marriage and at such, I have to do it.

Just like a funeral, some people will save a lot of money just throwing a dead relative into a grave and calling it a day!
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 1:44am On Mar 16, 2007
@donzman

are you married? if you are , does your wife know your beliefs?? because when the time finally comes that you close your eyes in death , the poor woman !!!!!!! the poor woman wont know what hit her!!!! 'CULTURE"  will happen to her and it wont be pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 2:54am On Mar 16, 2007
just wondering.
If the woman shaves off her hair,is she prohibited from wearing a wig? grin grin grin
Will they capture her and snatch it off?
Now that would be unfair!!!
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Ndipe(m): 2:55am On Mar 16, 2007
Down with archaic tradition that diminishes our persona and shackles our mindset.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 2:59am On Mar 16, 2007
Up with tradition that breeds divorce rates of 50%.

@Spoilt

My grandpa died in '04 and my grandma shaved her head. Her self esteem is not any lower than it was prior to his death just because she had to shave her hair.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 3:03am On Mar 16, 2007
@babyosisi
i howled with laughter when i saw ur post. allowed to wear wig ke? shocked shocked shocked heaven go fall. she hasnt been given the luxury of her real hair talk less of spending their "brother's money" to buy wig?
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 3:07am On Mar 16, 2007
By the time you've been married for 40+ years (if you make it that far), shaving your head in the event of your husband's death won't seem like a big deal anymore. You think a 40 year marriage is like your boyfriend - girlfriend or occasional 3 year courtship!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Beautiful Dubai Abaya Cloth And Turkish Wears For Sales / What Would You Say Is The Best Thing About Living In Nigeria / Yoruba, A People Of Imperial History - In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.