Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

How Can I Evict A Flatmate? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Can I Evict A Flatmate? (16998 Views)

Urgent Help Needed To Evict Stubborn Tenant!!!!!!!! / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires / How Do I Evict A Mentally Unstable Tenant From My Shop? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Recruitmentform: 3:05am On Apr 24, 2018
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by muchyblink(m): 4:41am On Apr 24, 2018
Malawian:
Okay, so I got a 3bd flat I am renting, but decided to sublet 2 of the spare rooms as I don't really need the space yet and also that it should help to bring down the overhead.

problem now is, the tenants are not paying for anything. Not even rent or Nepa or other utilities and I have been the one taking care of the costs up till now.

I just finished paying the rent to the landlord 2 months ago, and the sublet has also expired. I wrote them a note late last year indicating that I will not be renewing their sublet for this year.

Now, I got a lawyer to serve them a notice to quit last month and the notice is meant to run for a month. as I am here now, it doesn't look like they are even bothered about the notice.

one of them actually locked up the room since January and has not been available to pick up the quit notice, he does not pick my calls nor answer my messages. Even the ones sent on FB which indicates he has seen them do not also get a reply.

The Lawyer in question also seems to be a busy man and was supposed to be around last week to brief me but I don't seem to get ahold of him that much.

As we know, we Nigerians can be very devious and unscrupulous ( Bubu said so ), Like the one that has locked up the place since January, he could claim he has valuables or money missing should I force the place open, even though I know the room is empty, save for curtains and a foam.

The other one who actually stays there 247 seems to be looking to pick a fight that can be a pretex for a court case.

Honestly, I will like to know how to go about getting those guys out of my flat, considering that if I should pack out of there, they also has to pack out.

Lawyers, etc, any suggestions will be appreciated.

I full ground with una here for background.

Kindly call Ebuka Obi Uchendu of BBNAIJA
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Nobody: 4:43am On Apr 24, 2018
Thank me later grin

PS: look at my username, it’ll all make sense.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Eagba(m): 4:52am On Apr 24, 2018
Earthbound:

That's going to cost you a bit. Remember, you're not just cutting of power to your flat which could be done easily without the help of a professional. Any electrician you call for this kind of job will charge you like mad. Don't even consider that option. Its way too expensive.
i don't get. How is will cutting power to their room expensive? Its a simple surgery that most ND technician can do after that, for the police option.
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Aquablue: 5:00am On Apr 24, 2018
[quote author=deeway200 post=66973149]buy calabash, kolanut and palm oil. put some kolanut and palm oil on the calabash. add some cowries,then place it in front of the person's room.
/quote]
Op try this recipe,I believe it will work and make them think u are diabolical
Add some boiled eggs too and a portion of cooked white semi.
Watch them leave
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by sulakishop(m): 5:40am On Apr 24, 2018
Best advice ever!

deeway200:
buy calabash, kolanut and palm oil. put some kolanut and palm oil on the calabash. add some cowries,then place it in front of the person's room.
warning: The rigidity of Buhari's period may not allow it to work
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Nobody: 6:23am On Apr 24, 2018
Malawian:
Okay, so I got a 3bd flat I am renting, but decided to sublet 2 of the spare rooms as I don't really need the space yet and also that it should help to bring down the overhead.

problem now is, the tenants are not paying for anything. Not even rent or Nepa or other utilities and I have been the one taking care of the costs up till now.

I just finished paying the rent to the landlord 2 months ago, and the sublet has also expired. I wrote them a note late last year indicating that I will not be renewing their sublet for this year.

Now, I got a lawyer to serve them a notice to quit last month and the notice is meant to run for a month. as I am here now, it doesn't look like they are even bothered about the notice.

one of them actually locked up the room since January and has not been available to pick up the quit notice, he does not pick my calls nor answer my messages. Even the ones sent on FB which indicates he has seen them do not also get a reply.

The Lawyer in question also seems to be a busy man and was supposed to be around last week to brief me but I don't seem to get ahold of him that much.

As we know, we Nigerians can be very devious and unscrupulous ( Bubu said so ), Like the one that has locked up the place since January, he could claim he has valuables or money missing should I force the place open, even though I know the room is empty, save for curtains and a foam.

The other one who actually stays there 247 seems to be looking to pick a fight that can be a pretex for a court case.

Honestly, I will like to know how to go about getting those guys out of my flat, considering that if I should pack out of there, they also has to pack out.

How much are they owing you now. Is it something substantial you can hold onto?

I mean the total debt including utilities they 've refused paying. If yes, pm.this dude. askalawyer, he will help you for next to nothing.

He is presently rendering free legal advice and services at the moment.
Shalom.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by sisisioge: 6:26am On Apr 24, 2018
Malawian:

Actually, they broke down the door one night. I woke up around 2am only to discover that the main door was unlocked, since they are the ones that lock it every night as I have an alternate entrance to my portion in the flat, I simply locked it, thinking they forgot. On my way to work in the morning, I discovered they door was broken down from the hinges and kept to one side. That was when I realized they went clubbing that night and came in in the wee hours of the morning and rather than wait for daybreak, they proceeded to break down the door.

This is real trouble. You need to change your lawyer and involve some hired mopols too. Pele.
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by dayowunmi(m): 6:29am On Apr 24, 2018
Malawian:

Save up money and rent another space. Let the rent of that place expire. Even if they eventually pay u before you gather money to rent a new house still move.
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by yomi007k(m): 7:12am On Apr 24, 2018
valentineuwakwe:
you should be blaming your self for all that is happening to you now...so you don't know those you have been sharing or say sublet ur two other rooms to? even when they don't pay the other utilities, you still kept adamant. ..yet u went to renew the rent again!
look my friend, dnt renew the whole rent again, go and look for a self contain or one bedroom flat n stay alone....

U spoke my mind bro.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Ethanegos(m): 7:22am On Apr 24, 2018
Malawian:

bros, to save your time and a lot of headache just get a new place. The landlord will handle the rest. As far as he is concern they are squatters. He has no agreement with them
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Abudu2000(m): 7:27am On Apr 24, 2018
To all of you commenting several ways for his to evict them didn't forget you all are tenants too and may God not let you jam a devil like op in your entire stay in Lagos.....op you are a good for nothing fellow and I would behead someone like u if u were close to me.
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Bernardinho4(m): 7:28am On Apr 24, 2018
Let's assume that you properly informed the principal landlord before the sub-let, as you're obliged to.

If YES, then take the whole legal actions on eviction by;

1. Issuing a month quit notice (if you're a monthly tenant).

2. Then, issue a 7 days owner's intention to recover property.

3. Sue them to court.

Court's verdict now prevails.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Gudfrie(m): 8:04am On Apr 24, 2018
Malawian:

Simple....... Leave the apartment for them n rent another one elsewhere
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by armadeo(m): 8:09am On Apr 24, 2018
Btw how on earth do you sublet rooms in an apartment to strangers. Even if I live in a duplex alone I will never sublet any part out. There's something called comfort and it comes at a cost. You aren't in school anymore.

You should have gotten a bedsitter or 2 bed and stayed alone. I experienced This in school and swore never ever to share an apartment with anyone not my direct blood or close friend.

I've had peace since then.

My opinion just get a new place and learn from your mistakes cos evicting such people is a difficult and dirty task. You sound like a gentleman that's why they are taking you for granted.

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by TheGreatIYANU: 8:13am On Apr 24, 2018
donkaz2:
Get a better lawyer that can do the job for u and better still u can save all ur money u are using to pay there bills go to a very ruged police station like Alagbon or alapere police station request to see the dpo drop the bill money on his table tell him ur story and tell him u need the guys evicted under 48hours 3ven the one that locked up his room will be forwarded to 2anted list and will be on the run all his life

LMAO!!! Your comment is damm funny!
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Malawian(m): 8:24am On Apr 24, 2018
Daboomb:

Bad idea, Dont ever do this!
It is unlawful and you could be going to jail for it.
Read Section 44 of the Tenancy Act properly
Haven't you been reading up? the last time they paid Nepa bills was around September last year. Even Nepa cuts your light every month you didn't pay.
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Malawian(m): 8:29am On Apr 24, 2018
Abudu2000:
To all of you commenting several ways for his to evict them didn't forget you all are tenants too and may God not let you jam a devil like op in your entire stay in Lagos.....op you are a good for nothing fellow and I would behead someone like u if u were close to me.
See this coward. You don hold Cutlass before? talk more about beheading someone. No be after you don conquer your fear, you go come dey issue threats? fear go let you? Ozuor

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Shugarlord213: 8:37am On Apr 24, 2018
sisisioge:

Na flattties I wrote before they turned it to igbos for me o. My present flatmate is Igbo by the way and I've got an Igbo sister...so park very well!

YOU are a fool

1 Like

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by macaranta(m): 8:59am On Apr 24, 2018
Gbadegesin19:
Get married to CeeC
Best advice ever
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Funkybabee(f): 9:21am On Apr 24, 2018
Oro ti o le !!!!

Go to police station and report the issues na just 2k and maybe with 500 u go spend nitori oloun or send sone areas boys...

Oh my God u are to dull
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Malawian(m): 9:25am On Apr 24, 2018
specter:

How much are they owing you now. Is it something substantial you can hold onto?

I mean the total debt including utilities they 've refused paying. If yes, pm.this dude. askalawyer, he will help you for next to nothing.

He is presently rendering free legal advice and services at the moment.
Shalom.
I stopped counting since August -September last year cos i had already got fed up with them and made up my mind to get them out. If i were to calculate, it could be in the region of 80k for the one who locked up the place,and 50k for the other one.
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Malawian(m): 9:27am On Apr 24, 2018
Funkybabee:
Oro ti o le !!!!

Go to police station and report the issues na just 2k and maybe with 500 u go spend nitori oloun or send sone areas boys...

Oh my God u are to dull
That one na default strategy, but Law na Law and i no read Law for school, so i need to know all the angles. Likew someone is saying that cutting off their light is illegal according to the law, even though say dem never pay bill since last year september.
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by sisisioge: 9:50am On Apr 24, 2018
Shugarlord213:

YOU are a fool

You get time for a dunderhead?

1 Like

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Funkybabee(f): 10:13am On Apr 24, 2018
Malawian:

That one na default strategy, but Law na Law and i no read Law for school, so i need to know all the angles. Likew someone is saying that cutting off their light is illegal according to the law, even though say dem never pay bill since last year september.

You are funny,are u not from Nigeria..crazy dey inside everybody but level pass level maybe that is the reason why they are playing u just becuz u are too gentle..Man do werey for them jare and stop saying law thing..wish I can show them drama and police too shey na illegal government be them
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Pat081: 10:26am On Apr 24, 2018
Go to court dey will gv u court paper 3times n if dey fail to live ur house court will send one person 4rm court n police officer
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by teemy(m): 10:37am On Apr 24, 2018
malawian, for the one that is not around, paste and leave the notice on his door and take a snapshot of it.
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Radiants: 10:40am On Apr 24, 2018
sisisioge:

You get time for a dunderhead?

lol... he/she probably doesn't know that Igbos is a slang for flat mates cheesy. he/she thought you meant Igbo/Igbos/Igbo.. he/she should have asked you to eplain what you meant...

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by sisisioge: 11:03am On Apr 24, 2018
Radiants:

lol... he/she probably doesn't know that Igbos is a slang for flat mates cheesy. he/she thought you meant Igbo/Igbos/Igbo.. he/she should have asked you to eplain what you meant...

Abi o...every retardine feels they've got the rights to shot behind their 5mb grin

1 Like

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Countersam(m): 11:08am On Apr 24, 2018
Malawian:

Get your lawyer to involve the police or army to forcefully evict the one you are seeing eye to eye. Wait till the AWOL guy resurfaces and serve him same treatment immdiately, please dont break into his room. Nothing dey happen.
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Pentools(m): 11:32am On Apr 24, 2018
armadeo:

Btw how on earth do you sublet rooms in an apartment to strangers. Even if I live in a duplex alone I will never sublet any part out. There's something called comfort and it comes at a cost. You aren't in school anymore.

You should have gotten a bedsitter or 2 bed and stayed alone. I experienced This in school and swore never ever to share an apartment with anyone not my direct blood or close friend.

I've had peace since then.

My opinion just get a new place and learn from your mistakes cos evicting such people is a difficult and dirty task. You sound like a gentleman that's why they are taking you for granted.

Malawian nwamama, truth be told this is the best advice u can ever adhere to, although u like the house good n fine take it as lesson learnt n price paid for subletting.

For those suggesting law n involving soldiers on them, those law n soldiers won't be there aftermath. Ggirl made a very brilliant point "nwanne imaro kwa uche onye eji n'ala" days are quite evil. I know it won't be easy for you following the favorable descriptions u gave regarding the house but just leave the house for them and move on"ifeoma adiro agwu-agwu" there's always a better place. They will surely meet their type sooner than you think, since you are not the werey type don't force yourself to be cus its not embedded in you.

Leave them in the hands of karma!

1 Like

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by badesco(m): 11:42am On Apr 24, 2018
You seems to have shot yourself in the leg, why? Because you sublet part of your apartment which is against the law and they might use that to frustrate your efforts at dislodging them. My advise, be patient and plead with them...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hot Sale In Gwagwalada,abuja (pics attached) / Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria / Painting Of A Nairalander's 4 Bedroom Bungalow at Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.