Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,953 members, 7,821,347 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Subordination And Coordination In English? Types And Examples - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Subordination And Coordination In English? Types And Examples (582 Views)

20 Difficult Words With Meanings And Examples / Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing / Neco Coordination 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Subordination And Coordination In English? Types And Examples by Vistakademia(m): 11:07am On Apr 22, 2018
The strategies of achieving subordination and coordination in English is through the use of subordinators and coordinators. We refer to them as binders and linkers. They are also devices for connecting words, phrases, clauses and sentence. Let us begin by examining the concept of subordination and allied matters and also consider coordination and its allied matters.

What is Subordination?
Subordination is a process by which we link a clause that is inferior in status to another clause that is superior in linguistic status. The way we achieve this linkage is through the use of Subordinators. Subordinators belong to the Part of Speech we refer to as Conjunction. You must have heard about Subordinating Conjunctions, these are also called subordinators. Let us demonstrate the concept of subordination by the examples below:

#I dislike quinine/it is very bitter.
#He ate his breakfast/he left for work.
#She will not attend to you/you pay your fees.
#He failed the course/he is brilliant.
#I was coming/I saw him.

The two segments of each of the five sentences above are examples of independent clauses. They have equal status; but once we introduce a subordinator, one of the two segments of each sentence becomes a subordinate clause as we can show below:

#I dislike quinine because it is very bitter.
#He ate his breakfast before he left for work.
#She will not attend to you until you pay your fees.
#He failed the course although he is brilliant.
#I was coming when I saw him.

Types of Subordinators
There are two major types of subordinators...

Read more: https://akademia.com.ng/what-is-subordination-and-coordination-types-and-examples/

(1) (Reply)

UNILAG Lecturer Gets An Award From German Ministry Of Education & Research / Student Loan From Paylater.ng / UNIZIK JUPEB Admission, 2018/2019 Announced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.