Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,980 members, 7,828,471 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Coalition Movement Enemy Of Democracy – Soyinka Warns Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Coalition Movement Enemy Of Democracy – Soyinka Warns Nigerians (486 Views)

Soyinka Warns Buhari Govt Over Obasanjo’s Comments On Fulanisation, Islamisation / This Are The Members Of Obasanjos Coalition Movement To Salvage Nigeria / Soyinka Warns Nigerian Army Against Attack On IPOB Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coalition Movement Enemy Of Democracy – Soyinka Warns Nigerians by IsmP: 9:43am On Apr 23, 2018
Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka has warned Nigerians against coalition formed by politicians in a bid to rescue Nigeria.

Soyinka speaking at the 80th Posthumous Birthday celebration of late activist, Chief Gani Fawehinmi, in Ikeja, Lagos, said democracy was under threat, pointing out that members of the newly formed coalition are enemies of democracy.

The Nobel Laurette stated that the same people forming coalitions as ‘rescue missions’ are deceiving Nigerians in a bid to find their way back to power.

According to Soyinka, “All I have to say in connection with the theme of the event is vigilance. In this society and like others, there are people that whenever they smell anything decaying, they gather just as vulture. The theme of the event is most pertinent and there is no question whatsoever that democracy is in danger. It is not only the country’s democracy, the society is in danger.

“The question is, do we see it as an opportunity to do a rescue mission or do we see it as an opportunity to take advantage once again and continue our role, contribution in bringing the nation to its kneel? In other word, it is not new whatsoever that there is need for drastic action to rescue this country as a corporate entity and what I called the conglomeration of protocols that has kept us together which we place under the brick of democracy.

“I find it ironic that those who put themselves, the enemies of democracy, who have really taken the committed act, not just act, negligence; but actually inaugurated certain policies which contributed to our being at this point today are once again coming out and positioning themselves as saviours and messiahs.

“Sole possible rescue mission that this nation can even dream of, as nation of over 150 million. I found it very strange, because at the beginning of this movement, quote and unquote, rescue mission, there were two organisations that came out under different names. And there were names in there whom I considered worth following and encouraging others.

“The next thing I knew was that the movement was hijacked by the very people who laid the foundation for the collapse of democratic edifice. The next thing we discovered was they were forming coalitions. I was invited by one of the rescue missions to address them. So, I called them asking if they were the original people that I saw or the faction under which everyone is moving. I told them not to come near me. If you sign up to it, you will become one of those who are enemies of democracy in the country.

“They were those who inaugurated the so called, constitutional amendment programme, total charade, basically to assist them continue plan, which had been scuttled, known as tenure elongation, for which the entire national treasury was almost bankrupted.”

“Suddenly, they are forming coalition all over the place; confusing people, especially the genuine leaders that we can trust. The answer to that is very simple. You need to look at their track record. Don’t allow yourself to be plunged into a zone of amnesia which one would conveniently forget unpleasant reality.

“We have had President in this country, some of whom inaugurated a never ending process which landed us under one of the most brutal dictator that this nation has ever known. We had others who supervised the sacking of democratic governance. And they called themselves God designated watchmen over the fortune of this nation.

“And suddenly, I see Nigerians flocking to them. They asked them to lead again. Even if they didn’t individually put themselves into power, they are already, smoothing the way, with their surrogate and stooges. All I am urging is that we should all be very vigilant. You can bash the ruling order of the moment. You can demand that you don’t want to wait for the next election.”

Continue reading...http://sspinit.com/blog/2018/04/23/coalition-movement-enemy-of-democracy-soyinka-warns-nigerians/

1 Share

Re: Coalition Movement Enemy Of Democracy – Soyinka Warns Nigerians by Nobody: 9:47am On Apr 23, 2018
NaIja matter get too many K legs.
Re: Coalition Movement Enemy Of Democracy – Soyinka Warns Nigerians by Nobody: 9:48am On Apr 23, 2018
Recently I don't.know why I just don't take the Nobel Laurette as seriously as I used to.

Maybe it because of his silence on several issues I expected him to speak up on or maybe it's the fact that I have become.immune to propaganda and self serving comments

Either way it is well

Atiku 2019
Re: Coalition Movement Enemy Of Democracy – Soyinka Warns Nigerians by Paperwhite(m): 9:54am On Apr 23, 2018
And what will Soyinka call himself that support the government of IBB & Buhari that were all anti-democratic When you point a finger always remember the other four are pointing @ you.
Re: Coalition Movement Enemy Of Democracy – Soyinka Warns Nigerians by ItsMeAboki(m): 10:26am On Apr 23, 2018
A man who left prison with only 20k in his bank, shortly became president and suddenly he is now a multi-billionaire; how can Nigerians take the likes of OBJ and his coalition as their long wait messiahs working towards their interests - I for once agree with Soyinka.
Re: Coalition Movement Enemy Of Democracy – Soyinka Warns Nigerians by ANIOMADEI2018: 10:38am On Apr 23, 2018
SOYINKA IS TALKING ABOUT OBJ AND IBB

LOOOK AT OBJ

SOLD ALMOST ALL OUR COMMONWEALTH......nepa, refineries,nitel etc

FOUGHT OVER LOOTED FUND WITH HIS VICE....ptdf and fasawe saga

INCREASED FUEL PRICE AND SOLD ALL OUR REFINERIES ON THE EVE OF HIS LEAVING OFFICE.....to dangote, otedola etc

HIS SUCCESSOR (YARADUA) INHERITED CRISIS AND STRIKE FROM 1ST DAY IN OFFICE..........due to bad governance and his wickedness against all Nigerians

FOUGHT HIS SON GBENGA AND SLEPT WITH HIS SON'S WIFE IN LIEU OF OIL CONTRACT.....destroyed Gbenga's marital home...abomination

LURED EL-RUFAI INTO DESTROYING PEOPLE'S PROPERTY IN ABUJA WITHOUT COMPENSATION.....heartless

COMMITTED GENOCIDE IN ODI, ZAKIBIAM ETC.......genocide

MONOPOLIZED MANY BIZ AND CEMENT BIZ WITH DANGOTE...his money launderer

MONETIZED NATIONAL ASSEMBLY.......with "ghana must go bags"

FORCED ATIKU OUT OF HIS OFFICIAL VP LODGE.................cos of his 3rd term agenda

FORCED AUDU OGBE OUT OF PDP OFFICE WITH GUN...............babaric

KIDNAPPED A SITTING GOVERNOR IN ANAMBRA, NGIGE................andy and chris uba, the godfathers era

WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS BROTHER BOLA IGE, HARRY MARSHAL ETC...........no report yet

WHO KILLED SENATOR CHUBA OKADIGBO (OYI OF OYI)...........Buhari's running mate in 2003 election

DIVIDED AND HUMILIATED ALL IGBO SENATORS.............with guns and money

INTIMIDATED ALL HIS OPPONENTS WITH EFCC AND ASSASINATION.....dont forget regular plane crashes

INCACERATED UWAZURIKE FOR BIAFRA AGITATION...................

KILLED OVER 2483 INDEGENES OF ODI IN BAYELSA STATE.....

WANTED TO CHANGE NIGERIA CONSTITUTION BECAUSE OF 3RD TERM AGENDER.....almost Killed Sen. Ken Nnamni & Hon. Aminu Masari

TWARTED THE ZONING ARRANGEMENT OF HIS PARTY PDP........this led to crisis in PDP and eventually lost power to APC.

OBJ IS A KNOW CORRUPT LEADER

HOW CAN THIS KIND OF MAN BRING PEACE AND PROGRESS IN NIGERIA?.....Impossible

DECEIVED NIGERIANS AGAINST GEJ. HE TOLD US THAT JONATHAN WAS TRAINING SNIPERS TO KILL PROMINENT NIGERIANS IN 2015 ELECTION. TODAY HE HAS GONE BACK TO JONATHAN AFTER ALL THE LIES AGAINST GEJ. PLEASE GEJ AND MAMA PEACE WATCH YOUR BACK, ALIGN WITH SINCERE NIGERIANS. MY BEST ADVISE IS THAT YOU WORK WITH THE PRESENT ADMINISTRATION TO MOVE NIGERIA FORWARD. LET OBJ NOT USE YOU FOR POLITICAL GAINS. HE IS AN EVIL MAN. ONLY A FOOL CAN BELIEVE OBJ.

IBB BROUGHT HIM OUT FROM PRISON, MADE HIM PRESIDENT BUT HE STILL BETRAYED HIM.

AFTER BEGGING ATIKU TO SUPPORT HIS 2ND TERM, HE EVEN TOOK AN OATH WITH HOLY BIBLE. BUT HE STILL BETRAYED ATIKU.

HE BETRAYED YARADUA

HE BETRAYED JONATHAN

HE WANTS TO BETRAY BUHARI NOW

NIGERIANS BE WISE......WITH OBJ NIGERIA CANNOT MOVE FORWARD.

OBJ IS THE EVIL IN NIGERIA.......UNTIL WE REJECT AND IGNORE HIM, NIGERIA CANNOT KNOW PEACE

Re: Coalition Movement Enemy Of Democracy – Soyinka Warns Nigerians by saintgp(m): 11:04am On Apr 23, 2018
PERFECTIONIST MENTALITY is one trait i dislike about old people.OBJ,SOYINKA are all old cargoes.

They always talk as if they are perfect yet looking critically at their past deeds then u feel like strangling them.

1 Like

Re: Coalition Movement Enemy Of Democracy – Soyinka Warns Nigerians by naptu2: 11:53am On Apr 23, 2018
“They were those who inaugurated the so called, constitutional amendment programme, total charade, basically to assist them continue plan, which had been scuttled, known as tenure elongation, for which the entire national treasury was almost bankrupted.”

He is referring to OBJ.

“We have had President in this country, some of whom inaugurated a never ending process which landed us under one of the most brutal dictator that this nation has ever known. We had others who supervised the sacking of democratic governance. And they called themselves God designated watchmen over the fortune of this nation.

He is referring to IBB.

All I am urging is that we should all be very vigilant. You can bash the ruling order of the moment. You can demand that you don’t want to wait for the next election.

@ the text in bold - He is referring to Buhari's government.

http://dailypost.ng/2018/04/23/coalition-movement-enemy-democracy-soyinka-warns-nigerians/

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Buhari's Steps Towards Autocratic Regime : As Anarchy Roams / Election Crisis Splits Ohanaeze Ndigbo / Us Jcs Hosted Gen Abayomi Olonisakin, Nigeria's Cod At The Pentagon. Pics.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.