Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Youth Unemployability - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Youth Unemployability (237 Views)

Loopholes In Nigerian Education System And Unemployability Of Graduates / Loopholes In Nigerian Education System And Unemployability Of Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Youth Unemployability by Nobody: 10:57am On Apr 23, 2018
This one too is another huge problem analysts rarely talk about. The fact that many graduates - products of Nigerian universities are literally (for lack of a better word) useless to the Labour market. The first thing that hits many a Nigerian graduate after School is the strange sense of bewilderment and the utter shock that comes with the sudden realisation that from this moment forward, I am on my own.

This is where and when frantic but albeit feeble attempts are made aimlessly at landing a job. Discouragement starts to creep in and the 'Nigerian Government, 'Nigeria' is at the other end receiving insults and curses. This goes on for long until 'favor or breakthrough' comes to the rescue for some. For the majority? We may never hear about them or hear from them again.

Where did the problem start from? For me it started when Nigerian Universities began offering admission to large number of students to study courses they never applied for in the first place . And because it is better to be away from home schooling, people accept, only to later realise how irrelevant those courses are to modern reality. Talk about how the whole Nigerian education system needs an overhaul!

They say it is better to have a certificate you don't need than to need a certificate you don't have. And so people go on studying these irrelevant things and instead of using that time to engage in something else - just whatever, many assume 'favor' would come to their rescue and so they blindly and unintelligently engage in unnecessary, unimportant and irrelevant luxuries and lifestyle.

Now the covering of school has been lifted, the appetite has been corrupted and unduly enlarged but no means of satisfying them anymore.
Forgive me but this one is funny. Because all of a sudden people begin to learn to tame some of those things that they got from the campus and begin to become 'entrepreneurs'. That word 'entrepreneur' is evolving to now mean unemployed in the Nigerian context. It now means hustler.

Whatever happen to the certificate? It became useless. But no, it had always been useless. People were too busy to realise that fact and to take steps in helping themselves.
What I want you to see is the fact that many Nigerian school graduates cannot be employed because they are useless and irrelevant to the places they want to work. They have nothing to offer.

Meanwhile people who are productive are productive. Those who know what they are doing know what they are doing. Those who want to be relevant are relevant.
I have a friend who said he discovered since 100level that this whole school thing was a hoax. Waste of time. Brother made his first million while still a student.

I am writing this morning with the hope that soon, sooner than later, the realisation will hit most major public campuses like wildfire and birth an era when youths will rise up and do whatever, just whatever at all to be relevant to modern realities and expectations.

I am using this medium to call on the NUC and relevant stakeholders in the Nigerian Education Sector to do another accreditation exercise and scrap all courses that are only keeping youths busy for 4/5 years. Just keeping people busy. I that in some schools NUC officials collect bribes to accredit courses. You see, we cannot afford to keep doing this to the Nigerian youth. For the fear of God almighty we cannot keep choking the Nigerian youth to death all of the time.

In ending, unemployment is a problem, but unemployability is a bigger problem. And the later should be our concern. The solution? My fellow Nigerians, Help yourselves! While we await the government and relevant institutions to start working consistently that is.

Credit: "David Yunana"

(1) (Reply)

Affordable Admission Into Universities In The Philippines For 2018 / Affordable Universities In The Philippines For Any Program Of Your Choice / Get Free Tuition Scholarship In Usa (apply Now)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.