Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,834 members, 7,813,788 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:24 PM

Treatment For Myiasis [Dogs] - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Treatment For Myiasis [Dogs] (1107 Views)

I Just Lost One Of My Precious Dogs (so Sad) / My Guardian Dogs All Grown Now / "Beware Of Dogs, Intruders Will Be Eaten" - In Ikeja (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Treatment For Myiasis [Dogs] by Mooshiwa: 4:27pm On Apr 24, 2018
Is anyone skilled with the treatment for Myiasis?
Myiasis is the medical term for an infestation of fly larvae, either maggots or grubs, on the skin of a living animal, in this case, a dog.
I have taken the dogs from moist environment and already taking precautions to ensure their environment is clean and free from flies but the dog still has infestation on her skin.
Re: Treatment For Myiasis [Dogs] by durubrian(m): 5:44pm On Apr 24, 2018
where's your location?
Re: Treatment For Myiasis [Dogs] by Mooshiwa: 5:59pm On Apr 24, 2018
durubrian:
where's your location?
Abuja, Nigeria. Do you have any experiences handling Myiasis? You could reply with some laid out steps.
Re: Treatment For Myiasis [Dogs] by durubrian(m): 8:15pm On Apr 24, 2018
Mooshiwa:

Abuja, Nigeria. Do you have any experiences handling Myiasis? You could reply with some laid out steps.

Abuja don develop na... take your dog to a veterinarian sir.
Re: Treatment For Myiasis [Dogs] by Rany4all(m): 8:48pm On Apr 25, 2018
Mooshiwa:
Is anyone skilled with the treatment for Myiasis?
Myiasis is the medical term for an infestation of fly larvae, either maggots or grubs, on the skin of a living animal, in this case, a dog.
I have taken the dogs from moist environment and already taking precautions to ensure their environment is clean and free from flies but the dog still has infestation on her skin.
You can manually press out the maggots and apply an antiseptic solution like savlon to the lesions if not too many...alternatively, oral or injectable ivermectin from any major pharmacy can kill the maggots, but then you have to watch out for foreign body reaction as the dead maggots will still be in the dog...
Re: Treatment For Myiasis [Dogs] by Mooshiwa: 12:52am On Apr 26, 2018
Rany4all:
You can manually press out the maggots and apply an antiseptic solution like savlon to the lesions if not too many...alternatively, oral or injectable ivermectin from any major pharmacy can kill the maggots, but then you have to watch out for foreign body reaction as the dead maggots will still be in the dog...
I called in the vet today and he administered shots that would kill the maggots but he said they'd exit the holes without external intervention. He gave me a cream to facilitate with the healing which I'd apply once the holes have been vacated. Please what do foreign body reactions look like and do I have to pull out the maggots myself?
Re: Treatment For Myiasis [Dogs] by Rany4all(m): 9:03am On Apr 26, 2018
Mooshiwa:

I called in the vet today and he administered shots that would kill the maggots but he said they'd exit the holes without external intervention. He gave me a cream to facilitate with the healing which I'd apply once the holes have been vacated. Please what do foreign body reactions look like and do I have to pull out the maggots myself?
Good to know you consulted your Vet...but i kind of doubt if the maggots will exit on their own without the pore being covered with any oily substance like vaseline or even palm oil while they are still alive, and definitely not if they're already dead.

Foreign body reaction is basically the way the body (human or animal) respond to any foreign material within it and may look like a red & painful swelling, with collection of pus.

No you do not have to pull out the maggots if they are killed by the drug your Vet administered, but some Vets would have also given something like a steroid injection to prevent any foreign body reaction from occurring.

(1) (Reply)

Trixie (Adult Female Boerboel) Is Up For Sale. 1.5yrs Old. Fawn. Trained / Adorable Female Chow Chow Puppy Available To A New Home!!! / Six Month Old Female Boerboel For Sale In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.