Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,647 members, 7,813,174 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election (21398 Views)

Tinubu Bans Political Groups In Lagos As War With Aregbesola Worsens Over 2023 / Tinubu Bans Ajimobi From Appearing At APC Governorship Rallies / Darius Ishaku: FG Plotting To Stop Me, Six Others From Seeking Re-election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by 5Ebisco: 9:40pm On Apr 24, 2018
The Lagos State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on Tuesday banned members who had spent a minimum of eight years as ward, council and state executive members from seeking re-election in its May congresses.

The National Leader of the party, Bola Tinubu, announced the ban in Ikeja while addressing party members at a stakeholders meeting.

He said the decision was to allow fresh people to occupy party offices at ward, local government and state levels with a view to taking the APC to the next level in the state.

The national leadership of the party had recently fixed May 2, 5, 9 and 14 for ward, local government, state and national congresses respectively.

The decision of the party to allow congresses followed appeals by President Muhammadu Buhari who had opposed the approval of tenure elongation for party executives at all levels.

With Tuesday’s pronouncement by Mr Tinubu, the chairman of the party in the state, Henry Ajomale, who had led the chapter for a very long period, will be unable to seek re-election.

Mr Tinubu said at the meeting: “We fought hard against tenure elongation, and now we are going to have our congresses.

“Some of you who have spent two, three, four terms as ward, local government and state executive members, it is time to go.

“We thank you, we appreciate you. But we want you to step aside. It is time for those who have been crawling for years to walk. It is time for the youths to take over.

“I mean if you have spent eight years, twelve years, you have tried. You should give us chance, let us now have new people.”

Mr Tinubu, however, said party executive members who had only spent one term were free to seek re-election, provided they did not have records of misconduct in office.

The APC leader, however, commended the affected long-serving officers of the party, saying they contributed immensely to the successes of the party in the state.

Mr Tinubu said arrangements were in top gear to conduct congresses at all levels in the state, and expressed the optimism that they would be successful.

He warned party members to abstain from violence before, during and after the congresses, saying any act of irregularities would be sanctioned by the party.

Mr Tinubu advised party members against infighting, urging them to learn to live in peace with one another for the progress of the party.

On the divisions among party members in Alimosho and Surulere areas over some issues, Mr Tinubu sued for peace, urging aggrieved members to channel their complaints to the secretariat of the party in the state for appropriate actions.

He, however, said it was wrong and premature for any member or groups to disagree over choice of candidates for the next election.

“We shouldn’t be talking of who and who should be the candidate for a particular position for the general election.

“We are at the congress stage, we have not even done the primary, so disagreements over candidate choice for the election should not arise,” he said.

He congratulated the National Convention Committee on their inauguration on Monday, expressing optimism that the committee would conduct a free and fair convention.

The party chieftain said the committee members, headed by Jigawa State governor, Mohammed Badaru, were people of character and he expected nothing less from them.

Mr Tinubu thanked party members for staying with him on his last birthday, saying he was honoured by their support.

He particularly thanked President Muhammadu Buhari, Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo,and Minister of Power and Housing, Babatunde Fashola for attending his birthday.

Reacting, Mr Ajomale described the decision to ban long-serving party officers as a welcome development.

He said the decision would allow young blood to take over the party leadership at all levels in the state.

The party chairman said he was fulfilled having piloted the affairs of the party to several electoral victories in the state.

“It is a good decision that people who have been in the executive for more than eight years should quit.

“I mean, if you have spent more than eight years as party executive, you should have done whatever you need to do.

“People like us have been around since the AD days to now that we are APC, so it is time to move on. I am fulfilled, as I have done my best for the party,” he said.

Mr Ajomale said he had no fear about who would take over from him, as there were many competent people in the party who could take it to greater heights.

(NAN)

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/266116-congresses-lagos-apc-bans-chairman-others-from-seeking-re-election.html/amp

17 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by kristonium(m): 9:49pm On Apr 24, 2018
Oyegun has taught him a bitter lesson!

31 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by Eboski(m): 10:20pm On Apr 24, 2018
Oyegun they give this man sleepless night, baba calm down this is APC first Congress and outcome will determine if APC will still remain the same....

17 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by PlsBanMe: 10:43pm On Apr 24, 2018
Hate him or like him,Tinubu is always trying to be sensible, at least in his party. He became Oyegun's headache when Oyegun tried to secure one more year illegally. He is trying to also ensure the Lagos APC is opened to new blood by this news.

People like Oyegun are deadly in a democracy. He did nothing to solve the various crises rocking the party as a competent national chairman ought to do. Yet, he tried getting an extension to stay put through the back door.

Oyegun will eventually help finish APC.

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by Paperwhite(m): 10:58pm On Apr 24, 2018
Hope Remi Tinubu is also included? So it's Tinubu or the APC constitution that will determine that? Guess the fear of an Oyegun consensus candidacy is the beginning of political wisdom?

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by obonujoker(m): 11:40pm On Apr 24, 2018
Ode man... buh your wife and the list of sofola etc, have spent more than 8 years in senate, yet they continue to seek more elections......

16 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by skare: 11:47pm On Apr 24, 2018
What of his very self? He should retire for they young ones.hypocrisy.

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by valentineuwakwe(m): 11:53pm On Apr 24, 2018
can these party that has brought so many lies and hardship to many Nigerians now be content in having real party discipline? time will tell
Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by kernel507: 12:11am On Apr 25, 2018
PlsBanMe:
Hate him or like him,Tinubu is always trying to be sensible, at least in his party. He because Oyegun's headache when Oyegun tried to secure one more year illegally. He is trying to also ensure the Lagos APC is opened to new blood by this news.

People like Oyegun are deadly in a democracy. He did nothing to solve the various crises rocking the party as a competent national chairman ought to do. Yet, he tried getting an extension to stay put through the back door.

Oyegun will eventually help finish APC.

Why do "some" Yorubas assume others must worship what they worship? Tinubu is just another guy outside Lagos and Osun. Is there a law prohibiting Oyegun from recontesting?

35 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by dadavivo: 12:43am On Apr 25, 2018
By the time fulanis finish with this greedy fellow, he will regret his life.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by Auladimeji(m): 1:07am On Apr 25, 2018
dadavivo:
By the time fulanis finish with this greedy fellow, he will regret his life.
You're a kid

12 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by BabaRamota1980: 1:44am On Apr 25, 2018
Paperwhite:
So it's Tinubu or the APC constitution that will determine that? Guess the fear of an Oyegun consensus candidacy is the beginning of political wisdom?

You are politically ineptitude to think every process of a party is navigated through constitution. There is also what is called CONVENTION. Get some education in politics and upgrade your game.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by nnachukz(m): 3:19am On Apr 25, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

You are politically ineptitude to think every process of a party is navigated through constitution. There is also what is called CONVENTION. Get some education in politics and upgrade your game.
Just listen to yourself. Is convention not enshrined in the party's constitution?
Just keep sniffing tinubu's azz and stop confusing your brain to think it is working while it is not.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by BabaRamota1980: 4:05am On Apr 25, 2018
nnachukz:

Just listen to yourself. Is convention not enshrined in the party's constitution?
Just keep sniffing tinubu's azz and stop confusing your brain to think it is working while it is not.

Another deficient politician wannabe.

Convention are pacts or MOUs negotiated and formalized to form a BEST PRACTICE. It can never be a part of the Constitution.

A sail boat rely on wind to move with current. Experienced sailors will keep pairs of oars aboard for times when the wind is still and need to propel through water. The oar is not a part of the sail rig.

Visualize the sail as a party constitution, the oars are its convention.

Join the upgrade queue. Punk!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by Nobody: 4:20am On Apr 25, 2018
Jagajaga Ban. Stupid dictator. Start with yourself as you're now worse than useless. Oloshi. Omo-ale. Ole. Olori-jatijati.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by dodelight(m): 5:41am On Apr 25, 2018
kernel507:

Why do "some" Yorubas think others must worship what they worship? Tinubu is just another guy outside Lagos and Osun. Is there a law prohibiting Oyegun from recontesting?

Exactly my thought o.
Is there any party constitution to that effect?

Or is Tinubu now the law?

God save Nigeria!

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by lionshare: 6:57am On Apr 25, 2018
The re-alignment has started...consolidate your base by being on the side of the masses.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by ckmayoca: 7:10am On Apr 25, 2018
ehehehe
Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by Lexusgs430: 7:24am On Apr 25, 2018
Tinubu is a bloody egoistic dictator..... His wife and son too, must not contest for any seats........

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by PlsBanMe: 7:37am On Apr 25, 2018
kernel507:

Why do "some" Yorubas assume others must worship what they worship? Tinubu is just another guy outside Lagos and Osun. Is there a law prohibiting Oyegun from recontesting?

Your ignorance is first class. You assumed I am Yoruba and therefore worship Tinubu, right? Did I wrote anything about a law prohibiting Oyegun from recontesting? Your "ordinary" Tinubu guy remain relevant, destroying the machinery of PDP and becoming a force to reckon with politically that even ambassadors of foreign countries cannot do but periodically pay him visits.

I doubt if any foreign ambassadors have paid you courtesy visits too as an ordinary guy?

Hate him or like him, Tinubu is an achiever. There are not ten politicians in Nigeria today who has achieved what he has. I love achievers regardless of my ethnic, religious and political background. I doubt you do too.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by kernel507: 7:50am On Apr 25, 2018
PlsBanMe:

Your ignorance is first class. You assumed I am Yoruba and therefore worship Tinubu, right? Did I wrote anything about a law prohibiting Oyegun from recontesting? Your "ordinary" Tinubu guy remain relevant, destroying the machinery of PDP and becoming a force to reckon with politically that even ambassadors of foreign countries cannot do but periodically pay him visits.

I doubt if any foreign ambassadors have paid you courtesy visits too as an ordinary guy?

Hate him or like him, Tinubu is an achiever. There are not ten politicians in Nigeria today who has achieved what he has. I love achievers regardless of my ethnic, religious and political background. I doubt you do too.

You're biggest pain is the fact that you're expecting everybody to be loyal to your deity, Tinubu.
You're free to hate Oyegun, he has demystified the most greedy politician in Nigeria history.

I forgot you're from Burkina Faso, Afonjaic green mamba.

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by Lipscomb(m): 8:11am On Apr 25, 2018
cheesy I can't stop laughing when he was talking yesterday. Its good to be remains loyal to your boss baba Henry you bleeped up.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by Ologogoro: 8:11am On Apr 25, 2018
Politically, Tinubu is the master tactician... I bow for you sir

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by LibertyRep: 8:18am On Apr 25, 2018
Does the constitution of the party allows them to seek reelection? If yes, those affected should seek redress.

However, I hope this 'ban' is also extended to the serving Senators from Lagos State who had spent two terms too.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by jeeqaa7(m): 8:18am On Apr 25, 2018
god tinubu... Shameless thieves
Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 25, 2018
OK
Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by nabegibeg: 8:19am On Apr 25, 2018
Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by datola: 8:19am On Apr 25, 2018
Ok
Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by greatman247(m): 8:20am On Apr 25, 2018
Gen gen Jagaban at work. Action film grin
Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by EmmyDJourno: 8:21am On Apr 25, 2018
Can we just bench every Politician currently holding office in 2019

They have all failed, this Tinubu talking, is he not a Corruptibuzzz

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Bans APC Chairman, Others From Seeking Re-election by sotall(m): 8:21am On Apr 25, 2018
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

INEC Deputy Director Bags Six Years In Jail For Receiving N45m Diezani Bribe / Atiku: Obasanjo Wanted Life Presidency Not Third Term... / Osinbajo Delivers Lecture At Harvard (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.