Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS (27380 Views)

Man Cries Out As His Goods Worth Millions Floats On Water In Ariaria (video) / Next Cash And Carry: Goods Worth Millions Of Naira Retrieved By Abuja Residents / Hotel Guests Chased Away By FIRS Officials In Delta State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by CastedAyo: 12:04pm On Apr 25, 2018
A Nigerian woman and a restaurant owner identified as Peniel Chris Enwenwen, in Rivers states took to her Facebook page narrates how depressed she was after she was confronted with bills worth millions of Naira by FIRS.

Read what she wrote below;
"This morning I had a minor melt down on WhatsApp. I felt like the world was ending for me. I felt so alone, depressed, tired, sleepy and frustrated.

I walked into my restaurant at about 8am and power was out. Everywhere was hot and abit dark, I walked into my office, said a short prayer and looked on my desk.... there were some nearly arranged papers staring at me, I picked them up and behold BILLS!!! FIRS stopped by and left a letter saying I was owing taxes to the tune of N2.1m with a turnover of N18m in 2018(who declared it for them).

I just tossed it aside. Security company dropped April Bill, Port Harcourt city council dropped tenement rate Bill of N500k, same council dropped projection bill of N20k and then offcourse fresh NEPA bill of N72,000

I just exhaled, gathered them neatly and put inside my desk drawer. I was angry! Tears streamed down my face. I kept hissing!

My 16.5kva Generator recently shutdown (I worked the life out of the generator) repairer gave me bill of N135k, we fixed it and barely one month later, it packed up again, another bill was brought for N235k to buy parts and fix, I just ignored it, borrowed a smaller gen from home and started managing. I couldn't afford the gen.

Now this is not a spiritual problem, it's very physical. I brought out my books and started looking at expenses. almost every month we are paying one government levy, bills, fixing one broken thing or the other.

In one minute, all I wanted to do was give up. I just wanted to pack up and go home. Let me not even get started on how my land lady stalked me till I paid my rent. She literally called me every day, paid me unannounced visits and took every last cent even when I pleaded for more time.

Now you see, I keep asking, how are small businesses managing?? We cannot even boast of 4 hours of steady power daily. Did I mention the restaurant is in GRA? IT'S A SHAME!

Customers walk out because the ACs are not fully functional. Sales are fickle. Who will save the small businesses. Banks are asking for our ancestors and are not willing to help

Grateful for the friends who kept encouraging me to forge ahead. Funke left all she was doing this morning, came over, sat in my hot store turned office and said DON'T CLOSE DOWN. Those were the words I needed to hear.

I work hard, too hard somedays, and the government stretches their hands to collect all the time.

Ive decided, I have to make a Change in our country."

Culled from; https://www.torimill.com/2018/04/restaurateur-cries-out-after-being-confronted-with-bills-worth-millions-by-firs-in-rivers-state.html

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by IdeyFindWife: 12:13pm On Apr 25, 2018
When UNO &co start reeling out stats on why home-based Nigerians shouldn't expect to live too long, you wonder why but with stuffs like this, why not?

Paying taxes, rates, bills etc is not often the problem of the majority but getting commensurate value, on time and with predictable regularity undecided

Chai, entrepreneurs are suffering untold hardships in Nigeria, startups/SME's are worse off, yet the Senate, the executive and the military find times for all their catch-a-mouse-&-let-it-go anti-corruption & Alaba Mkt Prison Break games, it's sad.

Somebody better go tell the thin-necked Aso Rock Chief tenant that 2019 won't be Nunu-Time for him as usual!

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by NwaAmaikpe: 12:14pm On Apr 25, 2018
shocked

Pay what you owe.
The government needs your tax to fuel the tanks of our politicians' convoys and to sustain the health of our President and his family.

Be patriotic for once.
Pay your tax and do it smiling.
Patriotic Nigerians suffer and smile.

97 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by eezeribe(m): 12:14pm On Apr 25, 2018
A Government that cannot provide steady power supply,good roads and security for its citizens should not be thinking of collecting tax...
Taxes that are wasted by politicians to fund their extravagant lifestyles
I know that big investors like Donald Trump have a way of evading taxes by doctoring their annual reports and frustrating external auditors;but the small and medium scale entrepreneurs don't have these shenanigans at their disposal.The best thing for them is to form strong unions that would be assaulting these tax officers whenever they come to their premises and if possible,burn down their offices until we begin to see the evidence of our tax payments.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by IamD18: 12:16pm On Apr 25, 2018
These are the challenges of being successful, kindly deal with and stop crying on social media.

No legal achievement is successfully achieved easily, there must be challenges.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by Offpoint: 12:22pm On Apr 25, 2018
That was how one came to me last year...demanding I'm to pay 20k.
him: I want to see your boss
me: he's not around, how can I help you?
him: we are advertisement agency, your bill is 20k.
me: smile.. 20k for what exactly? what am I advertising please?
him: For the banner outside.
Me: What banner? are you the one that print it for me?
Him: what do you mean? I want to see your boss
Me: Have your sit, and wait for him... you just came around this morning demanding for 20k... do you have any idea how much I've made this month? I know you're from the government, can you tell me a single thing the youths have benefited from the government? why are you guys frustrating the common man?
Him: young man I'm just doing my job...
Me: %/=% ?#*
Him: I'll lock this shop up, do you know you're insulting me?
Me: you know... I think it's best you wait for him... just so you know... he's owning me... so... even if he sell his car you can't get a 20 outta him.

they got tired and left.

Being born a Nigerian is the worst thing to have happened to anyone
Jesus Christ! the guys are like sand... every month... environmental whatever would come with bills, NEPA would come, water would come, firs would come, even the electronics used in the offices/shop there is agency for it.
JEsus Christ what's our offense? government work peanut salary, private work future not promise cause they can shutdown at anytime due to unfriendly business environment...you start a business of your own they frustrate your life. you go school no hope, you no go school no hope, you learn work environment no let business move...

Being a Nigerian is an automatic ticket to heaven, cuz one can't go to hell twice.. in fact there's more rest of mind in hell than in Nigeria.

if I leave this country ehn? nothing go make me even fly by hm airspace talkless of coming back. I die where I go. cuz I believe God sef Don comot him hand for Nigeria matter.

132 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 25, 2018
Tax money that they will use to invite oyibo oloshos and organise three0me sex parties in Nicon Nuga hotel or send their sugar girls abroad. Everywhere na mess. No stable electricity, no security..no nothing. The thunder that will strike Aso rock is still doing press up in kukuruku hills.

18 Likes

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by dominique(f): 12:26pm On Apr 25, 2018
Most of these businesses hardly ever pay their taxes. Once the IRS gets to them and bill them the accumulated taxes they've incurred since the inception of their businesses, they start crying fowl. I don't blame them though, nobody will be thrilled to pay taxes in a country where more money is looted than spent towards the welfare of it's citizens.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by HallaDaTruth: 12:45pm On Apr 25, 2018
Who should we pay tax without getting the benefits

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by nabegibeg: 12:45pm On Apr 25, 2018
CastedAyo:
A Nigerian woman and a restaurant owner identified as Peniel Chris Enwenwen, in Rivers states took to her Facebook page narrates how depressed she was after she was confronted with bills worth millions of Naira by FIRS.

"This morning I had a minor melt down on WhatsApp. I felt like the world was ending for me. I felt so alone, depressed, tired, sleepy and frustrated.

I walked into my restaurant at about 8am and power was out. Everywhere was hot and abit dark, I walked into my office, said a short prayer and looked on my desk.... there were some nearly arranged papers staring at me, I picked them up and behold BILLS!!! FIRS stopped by and left a letter saying I was owing taxes to the tune of N2.1m with a turnover of N18m in 2018(who declared it for them).

I just tossed it aside. Security company dropped April Bill, Port Harcourt city council dropped tenement rate Bill of N500k, same council dropped projection bill of N20k and then offcourse fresh NEPA bill of N72,000

I just exhaled, gathered them neatly and put inside my desk drawer. I was angry! Tears streamed down my face. I kept hissing!

My 16.5kva Generator recently shutdown (I worked the life out of the generator) repairer gave me bill of N135k, we fixed it and barely one month later, it packed up again, another bill was brought for N235k to buy parts and fix, I just ignored it, borrowed a smaller gen from home and started managing. I couldn't afford the gen.

Now this is not a spiritual problem, it's very physical. I brought out my books and started looking at expenses. almost every month we are paying one government levy, bills, fixing one broken thing or the other.

In one minute, all I wanted to do was give up. I just wanted to pack up and go home. Let me not even get started on how my land lady stalked me till I paid my rent. She literally called me every day, paid me unannounced visits and took every last cent even when I pleaded for more time.

Now you see, I keep asking, how are small businesses managing?? We cannot even boast of 4 hours of steady power daily. Did I mention the restaurant is in GRA? IT'S A SHAME!

Customers walk out because the ACs are not fully functional. Sales are fickle. Who will save the small businesses. Banks are asking for our ancestors and are not willing to help

Grateful for the friends who kept encouraging me to forge ahead. Funke left all she was doing this morning, came over, sat in my hot store turned office and said DON'T CLOSE DOWN. Those were the words I needed to hear.

I work hard, too hard somedays, and the government stretches their hands to collect all the time.

Culled from; https://www.torimill.com/2018/04/restaurateur-cries-out-after-being-confronted-with-bills-worth-millions-by-firs-in-rivers-state.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 Dominique

How did you registered your coy and through whom can give you an insight to the crazy taxes you are getting

2 Likes

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by yomalex(m): 12:46pm On Apr 25, 2018
wawu shocked shocked shocked
Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 25, 2018
Later they'll use our tax for wardrobe and Newspaper allowance. Mind-boggling stuff. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by Dottore: 12:49pm On Apr 25, 2018
Wicked people.
Can someone please list these organizations according to the level of gross corruption and malpractice going on there after National Assembly which is the mother of corruption in Nigeria both upper and lower house:

Nigeria Police, Nigeria Customs Service, Nigeria Immigration Services, EFCC, Judiciary, SERVICOM, SON, NAFDAC, FiRS, Transmission Company of Nigeria and DISCOS, Pencom, Bureau of Public Procurement, INEC and all States electoral Commission, NDLEA

Me trying to remember which organization IN Nigeria is not corrupt

4 Likes

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 12:50pm On Apr 25, 2018
IamD18:
There are the challenges of being successful, kindly deal with and stop crying on social media.

No legal achievement is successfully achieved easily, there must be challenges.

Bring your sense along with you when you come online to comment.

27 Likes

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by Bsingle(m): 12:50pm On Apr 25, 2018
Don't be astornished, nothing is impossible in naija.

1 Like

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by moscobabs(m): 12:51pm On Apr 25, 2018
sorry ma, its very frustrating to do business in the country. I have been in a restaurant biz before . its not been easy. But keep going ma.

You shall get there

9 Likes

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by Lexusgs430: 12:52pm On Apr 25, 2018
E be like say she don chop all the profit margins......
Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by PointZerom: 12:53pm On Apr 25, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Pay what you owe.
The government needs your tax to fuel the tanks of our politicians' convoys and to sustain the health of our President and his family.

Be patriotic for once.
Pay your tax.

Ogene ndi igbo cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by summerky: 12:54pm On Apr 25, 2018
That's how big treat at air force has been shut down for a week plus because of the same tax.

4 Likes

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by anyimontana(m): 12:54pm On Apr 25, 2018
Naija
Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by ebuk4real(m): 12:54pm On Apr 25, 2018
That's symptomatic of a country jungle led ruled by one who's ineptly qualified, and who is criminally unwilling to listen or learn to those that can teach him/her

1 Like

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by redsquare(m): 12:58pm On Apr 25, 2018
I know this lady, she runs MY NDIDIA restaurant on Onne Rd GRA PHC. It's very sad and pathetic how the govt kill small business with heavy tax.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by Cadec007(m): 12:59pm On Apr 25, 2018
Dottore:
Wicked people.
Can someone please list these organizations according to the level of gross corruption and malpractice going on there after National Assembly which is the mother of corruption in Nigeria both upper and lower house:

Nigeria Police, Nigeria Customs Service, Nigeria Immigration Services, FiRS, Transmission Company of Nigeria and DISCOS, Pencom, Bureau of Public Procurement, INEC and all States electoral Commission,

Ayam tayad already
u 4got EFCC ooo

3 Likes

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by Nobody: 1:02pm On Apr 25, 2018
Thats the idea madam, we all need to make a decision to make a change, if we all do something will change, i dont understand how you cant be tired of complaining, for how long would u complain, what has ever been achieved from complains, looking at us nigerians i think we just love and enjoy d believe dat our problems is some pple in aso rock's fault and non of ours, so day in day out we sit and write blames,insultings every leader dat comes in as though dat has ever changed shit , all while doing nothing ourselves to effect d change we seek, waiting for dat person to come from heaven to come change everything for us.
Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by uuzba(m): 1:03pm On Apr 25, 2018
Instead of writing about the tax invoice and showing us a picture of your instagram face,
you could have:
shown us a picture of the tax invoice and
... no one really cares about your instagram face.

3 Likes

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by Buffalowings3(m): 1:03pm On Apr 25, 2018
Seeing how a private business is run has been an eye opener for me.
I work for a new establishment in ilorin and I am always aghast at the number of so called government officials we see monthly.
They are like ants trying to swallow up the nascent business.
From them demanding payment for water bills despite non existent water pipeline to our facility
To those demanding extra payment because our billboard has adverts on both faces
To ministries that couldn't get their shit together sending different personnels]to us every other month despite having resolved their issue the priviuos months

And then when I see the cost of power in running the place, I question the managers sanity in leaving the comfort of his blissful life abroad instead of coming to this hellhole. The sunk cost for power is mind boggling. He had to have solar, inverter, and the old bastards nepa just to get by.
From its inception, the establishment just barely breaks even.

This country is a mess
This country has gone to the dogs

Walahi if I own a business, maa da si rough fun won ni.
What has the govt ever done for me.

Offpoint:
That was how one came to me last year...demanding I'm to pay 20k.
him: I want to see your boss
me: he's not around, how can I help you?
him: we are advertisement agency, your bill is 20k.
me: smile.. 20k for what exactly? what am I advertising please?
him: For the banner outside.
Me: What banner? are you the one that print it me?
Him: what do you mean? I want to see your boss
Me: Have your sit, and wait for him... you just came around this morning demanding for 20k... do you have any idea how much I've made this month? I know you're from the government, can you tell me a single thing the youths have benefited from the government? why are you guys frustrating the common man?
Him: young man I'm just doing my job...
Me: %/=% ?#*
Him: I'll lock this shop up, do you know you're insulting me?
Me: you know... I think it's best you wait for him... just so you know... he's owning me... so... even if he sell his car you can't get a 20 outta him.

they got tired and left.

Being born a Nigerian is the worst thing to have happened to anyone

5 Likes

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by Nobody: 1:06pm On Apr 25, 2018
This is what Business folks go through, eventually they pack up send millions already employed in their outfit back to the streets..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by GoodGovernance: 1:11pm On Apr 25, 2018
All I see is a smiling Restaurateur ,Op please adjust your title to read thus:

Restaurateur CriesSmiles Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS

cheesy
Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by Rubyventures: 1:11pm On Apr 25, 2018
the Nigerian environment is a dream killer for small businesses. Most businesses require electricity to operate using all your profits to purchase diesel is not acceptable. angry angry angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by Nobody: 1:12pm On Apr 25, 2018
CC IamaNigerianGuy
that's an upper cut bro damn!!!
Re: Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS by emonkey(m): 1:13pm On Apr 25, 2018
CastedAyo:

This happens to all businesses in Nigeria . Just get a good accountant to sort it out for you. Now that VAIDS has even been extending. don't waste time. We were billed N3.5m on one of our sleeping companies. We eventually paid no more than . N250,000 including accountant's fees.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

19 Facts About Dangote’s Refinery And Petrochemical Plant / CBN’s dollar restrictions killing our businesses, Nigerians cry out / Pls Help Me'how Can I Withdraw My Funds From Binary.com.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.