Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,402 members, 7,822,842 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? (5479 Views)

Nairaland And Other Nigerian Websites Can't Be Accessed Without VPN By Nigerians / A True Ranking Of Most Popular "Nigerian Websites" In 2019 / Checkout This Amazingly Useful Nigerian Websites You Never Knew Existed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by JeffreyJames(m): 7:45am On Apr 27, 2018
SSL is recommended for only sites that have to deal with payment transactions. So it's not necessary to put SSL in that blog you go to just read about Bbn. Oversabi dey worry some people. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by directonpc(m): 7:46am On Apr 27, 2018
BrainnewsNg:

Nairaland uses SSL
But, it is hidden
It shows only on the backend of the forum
picture or I do not believe cheesy
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by israelmao(m): 7:48am On Apr 27, 2018
You meant to educate general public you would have started with definition of SSL.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by akeentech(m): 7:48am On Apr 27, 2018
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by Itzonlyme(f): 7:49am On Apr 27, 2018
BrainnewsNg:

Thanks dear

Its very simple

Where is your base?
U wlcm. Ebonyi state..can we chart via email/Whatsapp?
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by DualCore1: 7:55am On Apr 27, 2018
If your website isn't dealing with sensitive data, you do not need SSL. Now the question boils down to what you regard as sensitive data. In the past SSL was an expensive route to go through and only a few startup sites bothered to follow that route with one of the cheapest licenses like the Positive SSL license which is about $15 per year. The more serious licenses call for much more serious verification processes and are as expensive as $500 per year or even more (those sites you see with a green bar, respect them).

Now most host service providers in Nigeria offer free SSL with the basic hosting plans, thanks to cPanel's Auto SSL feature, Let'sEncrypt and Comodo. So if you have a website, ask your host if they offer the free SSL from providers like LetsEncrypt.

I don almost end this post with "Best regards"... I think sey na mail I dey write undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by Nobody: 8:28am On Apr 27, 2018
BrainnewsNg:

Thanks dear

Its very simple

Where is your base?
Very nice and simple website, no too much efizzy, that's how its supposed to be done.
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by motherfucker: 8:44am On Apr 27, 2018
Welland:
Even the top Nigerian websites such as punch newspaper, nairaland, Sahara reporters .

I conducted a research and found that only 5 percent of Nigeria websites have SSL . Vanguard Newspaper and Linda Ikeji website are just a few with SSL

even the Nigerian government website have no SSL. unbelievable , very easy to hack .

Even nairaland no get. U can imagine
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by fineboynl(m): 8:58am On Apr 27, 2018
BrainnewsNg:
Thank God mine is running on SSL

https://www.brainnewsradio.com
can you give me guild how you install ssl? is there anything that need to be change from the script or host?
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by DedeNkem: 9:02am On Apr 27, 2018
Welland:
Even the top Nigerian websites such as punch newspaper, nairaland, Sahara reporters .

I conducted a research and found that only 5 percent of Nigeria websites have SSL . Vanguard Newspaper and Linda Ikeji website are just a few with SSL

even the Nigerian government website have no SSL. unbelievable , very easy to hack .

Because they would rather steal the money than to do the needful with it. It is very risky doing business with a Nigerian website and the world knows it!!

If you investigation, you will realize that it is only Nigerians that patronize websites own by Nigerians, which is not good for an online business.

Nigerians are terrible in managing anything due to corruption!! When someone in Europe asked me where I'm from, I tell them Africa. When they insist I claim Ghana. I'm ashamed of my moribund country called Nigeria.
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by jetz(m): 10:03am On Apr 27, 2018
ve got ssl on [url]ngeeek.com[/url] noni dats whatsup
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by ibietela2(m): 10:41am On Apr 27, 2018
Lol,

It's less than that
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 27, 2018
Because they don't think it's necessary or they think it's expensive. Let's encrypt is free but many web masters don't know how to install it.
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by Pilopher: 11:38am On Apr 27, 2018
it has been band
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by BrainnewsNg(f): 11:40am On Apr 27, 2018
fineboynl:
can you give me guild how you install ssl? is there anything that need to be change from the script or host?

It is very simple

It has to do with your backend settings..

Contact your host company or your domain provider
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by BrainnewsNg(f): 11:42am On Apr 27, 2018
dumo1:

Very nice and simple website, no too much efizzy, that's how its supposed to be done.

Thank you
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by laudate: 1:34pm On Apr 27, 2018
DualCore1:
If your website isn't dealing with sensitive data, you do not need SSL. Now the question boils down to what you regard as sensitive data. In the past SSL was an expensive route to go through and only a few startup sites bothered to follow that route with one of the cheapest licenses like the Positive SSL license which is about $15 per year. The more serious licenses call for much more serious verification processes and are as expensive as $500 per year or even more (those sites you see with a green bar, respect them).

Now most host service providers in Nigeria offer free SSL with the basic hosting plans, thanks to cPanel's Auto SSL feature, Let'sEncrypt and Comodo. So if you have a website, ask your host if they offer the free SSL from providers like LetsEncrypt.

I don almost end this post with "Best regards"... I think sey na mail I dey write undecided
Great info! Thanks, bro'. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by Miyachi: 11:15pm On Apr 28, 2018
BrainnewsNg:

Nairaland uses SSL

But, it is hidden

It shows only on the backend of the forum
Nairaland DOES NOT use ssl. You're connection is in fact very insecure an susceptible to MITM and other attacks. Anybody listening in on your connection can get your password, username and all data you send to NL. All it takes is an attacker with a motive...
Re: Why Does 95 Percent Of Nigerian Websites Run Without SSL ? by wizmikeee: 11:54pm On May 02, 2018
Nigerians I'm giving you stupid shithole ppl a strong warning to stop claiming ur from Ghana. mention ur shithole country to see the kind of embarrassment u gonna get stupid lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Reasons Your Website Is Not Generating Traffic And How To Fix Them / Nord VPN Premium Available / How To Add Social Media Sharing Button To Blogger Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.