Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,329 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

$496 Million Scandal: The USA And It's Moral Burden - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $496 Million Scandal: The USA And It's Moral Burden (426 Views)

PICTURES: General Manager, Petroleum Equalization Fund In N65 Million Scandal / Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics / APC National Chairman In N60 Million Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

$496 Million Scandal: The USA And It's Moral Burden by Connoisseur(m): 11:46am On Apr 27, 2018
Nigerians have been confronted with the news the past week of the 'illegal' withdrawal of $496 million from the nation's coffers by the executive for the purchase of Tucano fighter jets to execute the war on terrorism.

The past adminstration of Goodluck Jonathan tried without success to purchase military equipment but was frustrated by the actions of the US citing gross human rights abuse amidst other concerns.

While this new development is laudable and should be appreciated, the process brings the entire exercise to questionable heights. It can be agreed that there is no good way of doing a wrong thing and vice versa. There are processes for every official action which when not followed brings disrepute to the process and persons involved.

The brazen withdrawal of public funds without recourse to the official channels and procedures is one of these actions. The US has over the time acted as a watchdog and reference for other countries both in government and otherwise. Can this unilateral action be condoned in their climes or are there different rules for the same actions.
If the government of Gej can be refused the sale of equipments on human right grounds, has there been any change of situation presently?
On what basis is this 'change' anchored on?
Is the US now encouraging acts which can be described in plain terms as corruption?
Is the illegal withdrawal of public funds even for a good reason to be encouraged?

While not trying to blame others for our own problems, it is pertinent to remind the 'world police' of the repercussions of its actions especially at this time when there is an ongoing war against embezzlement of public funds. In other to maintain its moral and fiscal responsibility grounds, this deal should be put on hold and the Nigerian executive advised to go back and do the right thing to give legitimacy to these actions. It would seem to have failed if it encourages acts that breeds corruption.

My thoughts though

cc lalasticlala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: $496 Million Scandal: The USA And It's Moral Burden by CodeTemplar: 1:26pm On Dec 13, 2018
Connoisseur:
I
You mailed me. What's it about?
Re: $496 Million Scandal: The USA And It's Moral Burden by CodeTemplar: 7:41am On Dec 16, 2018
Connoisseur:
I
You mailed me. What's it about?

(1) (Reply)

Second Niger Bridge Main Project To Gulp N210 Billion— Director / Police Recruitment: Buhari Orders Employment Of 6,000 Officers / IMO GUBERNATORIAL: A Peep Into Ihedioha’s Hatrick In Oru West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.