Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Advice On Irrigation Farming Systems - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Advice On Irrigation Farming Systems (843 Views)

Contact For Irrigation Farming In Nigeria / Beans And Rice Irrigation Farming Which Is Better / Fg To Create 500,000 Jobs From Irrigation Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Irrigation Farming Systems by BmanWheart: 8:39am On Apr 28, 2018
Good morning house

I am going into large scale maize production of a 60 - 200 hectare farmland and I need advice on the best irrigation system to install on my farm.

Please while giving your advises/replies some things to put into consideration are

1) Efficiency of the irrigation system suggested
2) Cost of installation ( I've been talking to some people and the drip irrigation it seems is very expensive)
3) Effectiveness of the system suggested in respect to the produce(maize)
4) I am going into complete mechanize farming
5) The land may or may not be close to a natural water source ( River or stream)
6) The land for now will be on a lease (about 2-5 years) so movement of the system is important.
7) The land is in Osun.

Thanks

Mods please push to FP I need all the advice I can get.
Re: Advice On Irrigation Farming Systems by Ademat7(m): 12:07pm On Apr 28, 2018
1.you are starting on a massive scale with little knowledge
2.You don't have the CASH and you are looking at mechanized plus irrigation
3.You need to consult an irrigation expert which you will PAY to give you feasibility study of what you intend to do

PS: why not do a pilot scheme to test all your assumption about the farming setup

1 Like

Re: Advice On Irrigation Farming Systems by BmanWheart: 2:11pm On Apr 28, 2018
Ademat7:
1.you are starting on a massive scale with little knowledge
2.You don't have the CASH and you are looking at mechanized plus irrigation
3.You need to consult an irrigation expert which you will PAY to give you feasibility study of what you intend to do

PS: why not do a pilot scheme to test all your assumption about the farming setup

I have little or no knowledge reason why I am asking. Even if I have the cash, I shouldn't look for what will be the best cost effective method? I should just throw money around because " I have the cash? ". Like I said on the post, I've been talking to some irrigation experts and the drip system is all what they are suggesting but the cost is what I am considering. If I have a better cost relatable system I will opt for it, reason why I am here to seek for more advice or professional help.

Thanks for your contribution. Please house I'm still waiting for your advises.
Re: Advice On Irrigation Farming Systems by jethro2: 2:23pm On Apr 28, 2018
BmanWheart:

I have little or no knowledge reason why I am asking. Even if I have the cash, I shouldn't look for what will be the best cost effective method? I should just throw money around because " I have the cash? ". Like I said on the post, I've been talking to some irrigation experts and the drip system is all what they are suggesting but the cost is what I am considering. If I have a better cost relatable system I will opt for it, reason why I am here to seek for more advice or professional help.

Thanks for your contribution. Please house I'm still waiting for your advises.

I think you should take time to do what the first writer suggested

Get a practising practical farmer to consult where you pay for the service

You will be doing yourself a lot of good

There are so many things apart from irrigation that you still need to understand

Several type of irrigation
Drip
Sprinkler
Spray tube
Rain gun etc

Soil texture and requirements need to be sort out

Planning to irrigate a large farm land with nearby stream or runoff water is courting disaster from the onset

You actually need to take time getting things together
Nairaland analysis will only put you into trouble

1 Like

Re: Advice On Irrigation Farming Systems by BmanWheart: 7:23pm On Apr 28, 2018
jethro2:

I think you should take time to do what the first writer suggested

Get a practising practical farmer to consult where you pay for the service

You will be doing yourself a lot of good

There are so many things apart from irrigation that you still need to understand

Several type of irrigation
Drip
Sprinkler
Spray tube
Rain gun etc

Soil texture and requirements need to be sort out

Planning to irrigate a large farm land with nearby stream or runoff water is courting disaster from the onset

You actually need to take time getting things together
Nairaland analysis will only put you into trouble

thanks for this.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Irrigation Farming Systems by jethro2: 9:00pm On Apr 28, 2018
BmanWheart:

thanks for this.

You are welcome
Re: Advice On Irrigation Farming Systems by adeniyi65(m): 11:20pm On Feb 16, 2020
BmanWheart:

thanks for this.
how has it been so far.we want to learn from you.

(1) (Reply)

Dry Type Fish Feed Extruder / 5000 Broiler Business. / Bulk Supply Of Garri (XMAS BONANZA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.