Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,079 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. (4528 Views)

Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) / President Jonathan, Fashola, Sambo Use Hand Sanitizer During Meeting On Ebola / Life After A CS Delivery Is So Challenging? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Otobroto(f): 8:35pm On May 18, 2010
Careless Doctors Own Up To Mistake

Doctors at the General Hospital, Apapa, Lagos, who mistakenly slashed a baby’s head during a caesarian section have owned up to their mistake.
One of the doctors, Dr. Idowu Adewale, in a letter to the Office of the Public Defender following a query from the Lagos State Ministry of Health, confessed that the injury sustained by the baby that led to his suffering brain damage was a mistake because the operation was done as an emergency.

According to Dr. Adewale, ”the surgery was performed by a principal medical officer, Dr. N.O. Sanusi, assisted by a senior medical officer, Dr. M.O. Tijani and supervised by the consultant obstetrician. However, there was an accidental scalped injury to the baby’s scalp at the back of the head.”
Dr. Adewale said that the injury was detected while cleaning the baby. “The laceration was instantly sutured by the consultant obstetrician and the baby was commenced on antibiotics injection, multivatimins and analgesic,” he stated.

Dr. Adewale absolved the medical personnel from the fate that befell the baby but blamed the mother, who he claimed, opted to dress the wound at home with local preparations before coming back to the hospital.

“It is very important to note that inadvertent scalpel injury to babies during caesarian section is a known complication of that surgery worldwide, most especially when it was done as an emergency to save the baby’s life. Her refusal to bring the child for dressing led to wound breakdown and no medical personnel can be held responsible for that,” he concluded.

But the mother of the child, Rosemay Oji, 32, rejected the doctor’s latter observation, arguing that since the doctors confirmed that they made a mistake during the caesarian section, they should be held responsible and the government, their employer, be made to take responsibility for the welfare of the child.
Oji said the doctors had rendered her baby incapacitated and the government should come to her aid by assuming responsibility for his upkeep.
She narrated how doctors at the hospital slashed her baby’s head during a caesarian section and quickly discharged them from the hospital.

Following the damage, the baby which ought to be a source of joy to the parents is now a sorry sight, as he has been rendered incapacitated for life.
The baby, named Samuel, cannot cry, talk, crawl or do anything asociated with a child’s development.
A test conducted by Dr. F.A. Oke of the Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Yaba, Lagos, showed that the baby suffered brain damage during the CS performed on the mother.

According to Dr. Oke, ”the victim suffers from abnormal record consistent with partial complex seizure disorder capable of potentially delayed cerebral maturation in view of the frequent seizure.”
The embattled woman who was in tears while narrating what happened to her only son, said she has been to Massey Children’s Hospital in Lagos Island but all to no avail.

”When they saw the wound at the Massey Children’s Hospital, they sent us back. We were again referred to the General Hospital on Lagos Island where we stayed for another three weeks.

“It was in the hospital that we discovered that the child was not developing normally and we protested and they agreed to carry out some tests, but they refused to disclose the results of the tests.”

“Doctors at the Apapa General Hospital knew what they did and that was why they discharged us quickly so that the baby will die in our hands.”
She appealed to Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola to come to her aid by assisting her take care of her son.
‘When they saw the wound at the Massey Children’s Hospital, they sent us back. We were again referred to the General Hospital on Lagos Island where we stayed for another three weeks.

“It was in the hospital that we discovered that the child was not developing normally and we protested and they agreed to carry out some tests, but they refused to disclose the results of the tests.”

“Doctors at the Apapa General Hospital knew what they did and that was why they discharged us quickly so that the baby will die in our hands.”
She appealed to Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola to come to her aid by assisting her take care of her son.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/05/18/careless-doctors-own-up-to-mistake/
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Kobojunkie: 8:36pm On May 18, 2010
God have mercy!!! embarassed
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Otobroto(f): 8:39pm On May 18, 2010
The rot in our society is beginning to stare at our face. How careless can doctors be in Nigeria after they must have collected about $1,000 from the patient for the CS? No value for human live. What a pity!.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Nobody: 8:42pm On May 18, 2010
Moved from Politics to halth Section
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Hardtalk: 8:47pm On May 18, 2010
Holy Moses!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by selingel: 9:39pm On May 18, 2010
These doctors are wicked. They all need to be prosecuted, and their licences withdrawn. What kind of mistake is that?
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by DisGuy: 9:42pm On May 18, 2010
They even blamed the mother!!!

why did they discharge the baby when they noticed something was wrong?
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Freiburger(m): 10:06pm On May 18, 2010
So sad.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Enjoyment1(f): 10:08pm On May 18, 2010
Otobroto:

Doctors at the General Hospital, Apapa, Lagos, who mistakenly slashed a baby’s head during a caesarian section have owned up to their mistake.
One of the doctors, Dr. Idowu Adewale, in a letter to the Office of the Public Defender following a query from the Lagos State Ministry of Health, confessed that the injury sustained by the baby that led to his suffering brain damage was a mistake because the operation was done as an emergency.

Why did they hurriedly discharge the mother and baby, if they knew it was a mistake. Besides, what kind of mistake? This is man inhumanity to man. No amount of compensation will make up for this rubbish! They should be brought to book, so that it will serve as deterrent to other useless doctors. They are only after the money they want to collect. You need to see how they react, when it is time for them to ask patients for money?.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Oboma1(m): 10:23pm On May 18, 2010
Otobroto:

Dr. Adewale absolved the medical personnel from the fate that befell the baby but blamed the mother, who he claimed, opted to dress the wound at home with local preparations before coming back to the hospital.

Dr. Adewale, I am ashamed of your kind in Nigeria. What were you expecting from a woman whom you hurriedly discharged? Would you have owned up to this blunder if Public Defenders never intervened? Let them answer this question first?
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by udezue(m): 10:42pm On May 18, 2010
Damn shame. In a lawful society these doctirs should lose their licenses and pay hefty fines or just go to prison. I hope the Lagos will prove me wrong this time.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by ziga: 11:01pm On May 18, 2010
Fetal injury is a possible complication of ceserian delivery and the risks of this happening will increase if an emergency surgery, rather than a planned surgery is done.
http://pregnancy.emedtv.com/cesarean-section/fetal-injury-during-a-c-section.html

I provided this information because i can see that everybody has judged without trying to research facts.

Culpability in this case can't be determined until a full investigation has been done. And the guilty should be made to face the music.

So what i think we should call for should be a full unbiased investigation of this incident and less sentiments.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by texazzpete(m): 11:05pm On May 18, 2010
ziga:

Fetal injury is a possible complication of ceserian delivery and the risks of this will increase if an emergency surgery, rather than a planned surgery is done.
http://pregnancy.emedtv.com/cesarean-section/fetal-injury-during-a-c-section.html

I provided this information because i can see that everybody has judged without trying to research facts.

Culpability in this case can't be determined until a full investigation has been done. And the guilty should be made to face the music.

So what i think we should call for should be a full unbiased investigation of this incident and less sentiments.

Excellent post. What use is our education if we give in to knee-jerk reactions all the time?
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Omolulu(m): 11:14pm On May 18, 2010
ziga:

Fetal injury is a possible complication of ceserian delivery and the risks of this happening will increase if an emergency surgery, rather than a planned surgery is done.

true talk, more light should be shed on the situation that led to the discharge, if the mother was called to dress the kid and she delayed or failed to oblige  then the blame might not be with the doctors, more light shud be shed nonetheless, our health system is in shambles, the hospital should be able to take care of that child at least for a period of time
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by sjeezy8: 11:15pm On May 18, 2010
terrible yo now I know why my parents made sure all their children were born in the US.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Hardtalk: 11:16pm On May 18, 2010
ziga:

I have carefully gone through your presentation, and have not seen where it is made as a fact, that, such a colossal damage, should not be communicated to the parents of the baby immediately. No one here says, it is wrong that such issue came up in the course of operation, but where it is accepted as a mistake, and the parents are not officially aware, until they are compelled to admit, it is obviously wrong. They all should give up medicine for such inhuman act.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by bkbabe97: 11:25pm On May 18, 2010
Oh my God!!! I actually have tears in my eyes from reading this!!! If the health industry wasnt in a rot, I doubt such a thing woulda happened!! I hope those apologists for yall corrupt leaders are reading this. This could very well have happened to any one!!! Wow, such a sad story! embarassed
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Enjoyment1(f): 11:29pm On May 18, 2010
ziga:

This fact is basely, becos there is no profession that does not have her own risk, and pitfalls, but where one is trying to mismanage it like the above, then it is a shame. Stella Obasanjo died based on a similar circumstance, and the doctor today is serving a two year jail term, so what are you saying? Please remove this rubbish, for it is pointless. Besides, why did they not just call the parents and inform them of what happen, and even site similar circumstances in the medical field where such happened? It wouldn't have gone this far, if they had admitted this earlier, and simply tell the parents they will take care of the situation and see how to salvage what is left for the baby to survive on. I strongly believe, the parents would't have even gone anywhere, since they showed remorse, and even took further step to help. Why the sudden discharge?
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by slap1(m): 11:36pm On May 18, 2010
With what I'm seeing in our universities right now, in a few year's time we'll be responding to issues like this with: "so what?" God have mercy.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Oboma1(m): 12:04am On May 19, 2010
ziga:

This is the most senseless post for now here. How I wished you were the woman's husband, and you experienced the pains of nursing a pregnancy from 0 to 9 months including all the sleepless nights, and having to wake up intervally at night to assist your wife one way or the other, all through this period and some dummies later told you they did a mistake by slicing the same baby's head; then you will know why some rushed into those conclusions.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Oboma1(m): 12:10am On May 19, 2010
Enjoyment1:

This fact is basely, becos there is no profession that does not have her own risk, and pitfalls, but where one is trying to mismanage it like the above, then it is a shame. Stella Obasanjo died based on a similar circumstance, and the doctor today is serving a two year jail term, so what are you saying? Please remove this rubbish, for it is pointless. Besides, why did they not just call the parents and inform them of what happen, and even site similar circumstances in the medical field where such happened? It wouldn't have gone this far, if they had admitted this earlier, and simply tell the parents they will take care of the situation and see how to salvage what is left for the baby to survive on. I strongly believe, the parents would't have even gone anywhere, since they showed remorse, and even took further step to help. Why the sudden discharge?

@ Ziga, read the above very well and apply same in other post of yours, as it will surely be beneficial. The initial one was uncalled for.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Vallo57(m): 12:38am On May 19, 2010
One of the reasons why we need Medical Malpractice insurance in Nigeria.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by ziga: 12:44am On May 19, 2010
About my post. . .

A lot of things happened in the case that was described, and the news piece made the deduction that the doctors were careless based on an accidental scalp laceration.

I just tried to provide more information on fetal injuries and cesarian deliveries.

Even though doctors may be responsible for  some poor patient outcomes in Nigerian hospitals,  the journalist as well as we on this forum do not have enough information as well as knowledge to pass judgement.

I am no pro on medicolegal issues, so i know it is better to leave judgement on culpability for people who know better. And that will be a tribunal of some sort.

Even the Stella Obasanjo case was investigated based on evidence by experts before judgement was pronounced.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Oboma1(m): 12:55am On May 19, 2010
ziga:

About my post. . .

A lot of things happened in the case that was described, and the news piece made the deduction that the doctors were careless based on an accidental scalp laceration.

I just tried to provide more information on fetal injuries and cesarian deliveries.

Even though doctors may be responsible for  some poor patient outcomes in Nigerian hospitals,  the journalist as well as we on this forum do not have enough information as well as knowledge to pass judgement.

I am no pro on medicolegal issues, so i know it is better to leave judgement on culpability for people who know better. And that will be a tribunal of some sort.

Even the Stella Obasanjo case was investigated based on evidence by experts before judgement was pronounced.

I am not against any investigation here too, but of what use will any be here in Nigeria, when it is another avenue to surpress justice. For the fact that, the doctors came up to admit they erred, then, let them face the music. That is how a baby the other day at LASUTH, was mistakenly infected with HIV. They did not admit this as well, until the parents of the baby went wild, which now attracted public outcry. The rest is now history. People should be made to account for their actions, and not even in the medical field alone.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Enjoyment1(f): 1:04am On May 19, 2010
ziga:

About my post. . .

For the fact that, you and I have started discussing on this same issue, we have started analysing the possible cause of this situation. The only difference here is that, we are not privileged to conduct interviews, and ask questions and receive data from both ends. Investigation is good, but not in Nigeria. The report indicting IBB is still there, and no one has done anything (instead govt openly told us they dont have a copy of that report). The power sector probe report is ready, and no one has the detailed content of it. Even the one Nuhu Ribadu did on Bode George was jettisoned (that was before he too became corrupt and cleared Bode George). So please tell me, what investigation are you looking for in Nigeria, except you want suppress justice. They have openly admitted their fault, so what else are you looking for?
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Hardtalk: 1:08am On May 19, 2010
Enjoyment1:

For the fact that, you and I have started discussing on this same issue, we have started analysing the possible cause of this situation. The only difference here is that, we are not privileged to conduct interviews, and ask questions and receive data from both ends. Investigation is good, but not in Nigeria. The report indicting IBB is still there, and no one has done anything (instead govt openly told us they dont have a copy of that report). The power sector probe report is ready, and no one has the detailed content of it. Even the one Nuhu Ribadu did on Bode George was jettisoned (that was before he too became corrupt and cleared Bode George). So please tell me, what investigation are you looking for in Nigeria, except you want suppress justice. They have openly admitted their fault, so what else are you looking for?

shocked shocked shocked shocked (Eyes pops out even beyond control).
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Fhemmmy: 1:22am On May 19, 2010
Kai . . . .Such shd not be happening in this day and age
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by ziga: 1:30am On May 19, 2010
Enjoyment1:

Investigation is always the best way to go.

The role of investigation is not for the sole purpose of serving justice. My personal opinion is that it should help us know exactly what went wrong so policies can be formulated to prevent such from happening.

I bet you many things would have gone wrong in this case and lots of people will be culpable in different ways and to different extents.

So, if we don't investigate properly, we will not know if there was no electricity in the operating theater and the hospital did nothing about it, or maybe the doctor was drunk, or even not qualified enough to perform the procedure, or it could even be the way the nurses handled the infected wound, or the negligence of the patient.

First thing wrong is that journalism in Nigeria is very poor, and the newspaper should not pronounce anybody guilty until investigations are carried out.

And like i said earlier, what we should clamor for is a proper, unbiased investigation and justice!
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Hardtalk: 1:41am On May 19, 2010
ziga:

The role of investigation is not for the sole purpose of serving justice. My personal opinion is that it should help us know exactly what went wrong so policies can be formulated to prevent such from happening.

I bet you many things would have gone wrong in this case and lots of people will be culpable in different ways and to different extents.

So, if we don't investigate properly, we will not know if there was no electricity in the operating theater and the hospital did nothing about it, or maybe the doctor was drunk, or even not qualified enough to perform the procedure, or it could even be the way the nurses handled the infected wound, or the negligence of the patient.

First thing wrong is that journalism in Nigeria is very poor, and the newspaper should not pronounce anybody guilty until investigations are carried out.

And like i said earlier, what we should clamor for is a proper, unbiased investigation and justice!

Guy, no one is against any investigation, becos it helps really in policy formulation. But have we really sat down to look at investigation, the Nigeria way?
What works in other countries, may not be suitable here, and vice versa. But how be it, investigation is universal. It is just unfortunate that, it has become a tool in the hands of those who suppresses justice, instead of the traditional tool for policy formulation, as earlier stated. Come to think of it, the only investigation here should be, tracing the actual person(s) culpable, as the doctors have even made the case easier.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Enjoyment1(f): 1:52am On May 19, 2010
ziga:

Until we learn how to make people face justice, investigation in Nigeria is just a mere routine affair. Maybe I will support it this time; let them tell us how a doctor started the operation before others left their jobs elsewhere and concentrated on the patient, and later PHCN took light, and the generator did not work. Let them tells us, as the patient's family did not pay for the operation on time, which now led to it now becoming an emergency case, as a result of the rush, they slice the baby's head. Let them tell us how some students doctors started the operation first, before their almighty consultants later joined and even supervised as claimed, but it was too late, as they have chopped off the baby's head. Let them tell us all those rubbish, just to defend their mistake. My greatest joy is that, no sinner will go unpunished!.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by Sonofpeace(m): 1:57am On May 19, 2010
Inhuman! God help the poor of this nation.
Re: Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. by selingel: 2:02am On May 19, 2010
Sonofpeace:

Inhuman! God help the poor of this nation.

This is really bad. This should not be happening in 2010. I expected more from these medical guys, not this, and worse of it all, mismanaging the situation.

Even a probe panel and adequate compensation, will never be enough for this inhuman act!. We are talking about a human life here, please.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

12 Foods That Will Boost Your Immune System And Make You Healthier. / The Health Benefits Of Eating/healthy Vagina / This Hospital Killed My Wife During Child Birth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.