Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,441 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually (6387 Views)

Dangote: Nigeria Will Start Exporting Rice Soon / Afreximbank Targets $40bn Deals / How Nigeria Can Raise Additional $40bn From Tax—elumelu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by gabzymedia: 1:21am On Apr 29, 2018
The Nigerian Export Promotion Council has said Nigerians are exporting goods worth over $40bn informally every year.

The Executive Director and the Chief Executive Officer of the NEPC, Mr. Segun Awolowo, stated this in Lagos on Friday during a visit to the President, Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry Mines and Agriculture, Chief Alaba Lawson.

According to him, a lot of goods are moving from Nigeria to other African countries without being documented.

He said the council had initially estimated such trade as $8bn annually, but going by the calculation of the International Trade Centre in Geneva, over $40bn worth of goods were informally exported.

Awolowo worried that this informal trade did not reflect on the economy and sought the NACCIMA’s collaboration to formalise the trade.

He said, “We want to work with NACCIMA to formalise this informal trade. We have to work with your chambers in all the states of the federation. We have to give these small business owners incentives that will make it better for them to do business.”

According to him, in order to aid small businesses, the Federal Government has introduced the Export Development Fund, a pre-shipment incentive that will help start-ups to grow and export.

Awolowo said the council had concluded plans to organise buyers market all over the world for Nigerian products.

He also sought NACCIMA’s collaboration in driving the zero oil plan, an initiative that would make Nigeria survive in a world economy without selling oil.

He said, “We have 11 non-oil sectors where we can earn foreign exchange and one of them is the petrochemical sector, which is a $150bn global market.

“Nigeria is not playing in this market because it is importing; but we are a petrol economy and that is where the paradox lies.”

According to him, the private sector has taken up the challenge of playing in the petrochemical market.

Alaba-Lawson on her part said that stronger collaboration between NEPC and NACCIMA would be feasible and fruitful.

She appreciated the council’s usual support and its readiness to sponsor 10 Small and Medium Enterprises to attend the 22nd American Food and Beverage Show and Conference slated for October in Miami, United States of America.

The show, according to her, is an opportunity for Nigerian goods to penetrate the global market and create market for the SMEs in line with NEPC’s vision to make the world a market place for Nigerian products.

https://www.financialwatchngr.com/2018/04/29/nepc-says-nigerians-unofficially-exporting-40bn-goods-annually/

Mynd44, Lalasticlala, Seun
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by NairaMaster1(m): 7:50am On Apr 29, 2018
What about the formal ones?

3 Likes

Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by Lorechino(m): 7:52am On Apr 29, 2018
grin lol exactly what about the formal ¿ maybe bubu took the document to US, Atiku should go and get it Na. leave people who choose the informal export , if u did not do anything about the formal/documented one my dear u can still not do anything while formalizing the informal one thank you.

3 Likes

Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 29, 2018
wink
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by inoki247: 7:52am On Apr 29, 2018
unofficial bawo like Cocaine, Weeed, Codeine... i remember one time like dat i sent full Carton of Baby Oku to my Nigga in Italy bkuz dey dont av ova dere...

2 Likes

Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by emperorblog(m): 7:52am On Apr 29, 2018
READ COOL INTERESTING STORY HRRE
www.emperorblog.com.ng

1 Like

Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by Rexnegro(m): 7:53am On Apr 29, 2018
I somehow concur cos myself I know how much I do use to send parcels to UK , that's just me alone o
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by GeneralOjukwu: 7:54am On Apr 29, 2018
If it's unofficial, how the eff can they make such an estimate ?

I initially supported this government but they tell too much lies as propaganda.

They have embarrassed themselves too much - Audu Ogbeh claiming Thailand's rice mills are shutting down... Garba Shehu claiming Buhari was first president to be invited to White House etc.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by Olalan(m): 7:54am On Apr 29, 2018
One of the several agencies which are not effective
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by martineverest(m): 7:55am On Apr 29, 2018
I dont really believe this tho
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by kudosamass(m): 7:56am On Apr 29, 2018
$40b is nothing compared to what is going out of the Country daily without due process. I am involved in the solid minerals sector, especially the gemstone sub sector. I know what is happening there and I weep for the Country.

One of the reasons is because many Nigerians are not aware that it is very easy to obtain Export License. Some foreigners are economic saboteurs and Government agencies responsible to checkmate that have all gone for holidays. However, the real culprit is the Nigerian Customs. They don't do their jobs at the boarders. They are only good at terrorizing people inside the Country. See the post on the link bellow on how you can easily obtain your Export License in 24 - 72 hours: https://www.nairaland.com/4361802/how-get-export-license-nigeria
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by overhypedsteve(m): 7:58am On Apr 29, 2018
GeneralOjukwu:
If it's unofficial, how the eff can they make such an estimate ?

I initially supported this government but they tell too much lies as propaganda.

They have embarrassed themselves too much - Audu Ogbeh claiming Thailand's rice mills are shutting down... Garba Shehu claiming Buhari was first president to be invited to White House etc.
which kind life you and your friends dey live

Lols why you change am?

Everybody he has changed what he wrote oh. He said he used to send Baby Oku Gin to his friends in Italy.
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by hezy4real01(m): 8:00am On Apr 29, 2018
Check well e go pass! Yet the administration said they are fighting corruption abi... Yeye de smell
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by Krafty006: 8:03am On Apr 29, 2018
na paddy paddy things , if u know u know, lol.........for your leather works, shoes sandals slippers 0-8-1-8-1-6-6-3-6-1-6.
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by oyetunder(m): 8:03am On Apr 29, 2018
cheesy Including foreign oloshos by politicians...
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:05am On Apr 29, 2018
I thought the Almighty Custom are doing their job extremely well undecided

Each time this administration wakes up a dead organization to make a speech like NEPC just did, you know that they are after someone

I wonder who the victim is right now smiley smiley smiley

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by GeneralOjukwu: 8:05am On Apr 29, 2018
overhypedsteve:
which kind life you and your friends dey live

Lols why you change am?

Everybody he has changed what he wrote oh. He said he used to send Baby Oku Gin to his friends in Italy.

??... Are you OK? Take your meds ASAP shocked

1 Like

Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by proeast(m): 8:06am On Apr 29, 2018
I'm part of those exporting and earning over $1000. Which I'm sure is not being documented. On the other hand, there is nothing new in this report, Igbos have been exporting goods all over Subsaharan Africa using Onitsha, Lagos, Nnewi and Aba as launchpads.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by grandstar(m): 8:08am On Apr 29, 2018
I think exports may be as high as mentioned if all informal exports globally are included not just West Africa or Africa.
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 29, 2018
It is time to start taxing passangers for handbags and boxes I guess. I am sure this is a means to placing levy on peope.
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by grandstar(m): 8:11am On Apr 29, 2018
Divinehealer:
It is time to start taxing passangers for handbags and boxes I guess. I am sure this is a means to placing levy on peope.

And make their goods uncompetitive?

Governments do the opposite and ensure exports are competitive.

1 Like

Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 29, 2018
grandstar:

And make their goods uncompetitive?

Governments do the opposite and ensure exports are competitive.

Lets watch the drama unfold!
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by grandstar(m): 8:18am On Apr 29, 2018
kudosamass:
The reason is because many Nigerians are not aware that it is very easy to obtain Export License. Some foreigners also are economic saboteurs. But the real culprit is the Nigerian Customs. They don't do their jobs at the boarders. Only good at terrorizing people inside the Country.
See the post bellow on how you can easily obtain you Export License in 24 - 72 hours:
https://www.nairaland.com/4361802/how-get-export-license-nigeria

Company tax should also be reduced to 15% so as to encourage informal exporters formalise their activities. High tax rates discourage documentation

2 Likes

Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by 9aiboard: 8:19am On Apr 29, 2018
Nice
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by Naijabash(m): 8:22am On Apr 29, 2018
Vacancy apply Now
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by Igba123: 8:22am On Apr 29, 2018
How did u knw since it is unofficial. Always bandying figures around without thinking.
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by deebsman1(m): 8:28am On Apr 29, 2018
One thing I know for a fact is that the informal business sector if properly captured is a very big sector possibly bigger than most people thoughts
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by slimdamatrix1(m): 8:31am On Apr 29, 2018
Rather impressive I must say and hopefully it gets bigger.
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by Pavore9: 8:38am On Apr 29, 2018
A lot of informal exportation to other African countries is going on as one needs to go NAHCO shed to see activities.
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by dvee2: 8:40am On Apr 29, 2018
The children of hate will continue to hate. But records don't lie. Baba carry go till 2023.
Re: NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually by talk2hb1(m): 8:45am On Apr 29, 2018
I knew it, its unofficial. Who would have bilivit, its unofficial. Officially unofficial, obviously unofficial, unofficially it iz.
Nawa Ooo!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangote Cement’s 12% Revenue Growth Lifts GDP / Nigerian Stock Market Soars Highest For The First Time Since April 7, 2015. / How To Start Shoe Business – All You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.