Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,791 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

Paul Lambert: ‘referee Right Not To Award Liverpool Penalty’ - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Paul Lambert: ‘referee Right Not To Award Liverpool Penalty’ (353 Views)

Guardiola Blasts Critics Who Claim It’s Unfair To Award Messi The Ballon D’or / Referee Orosco Sparks Chaos After Using Fake VAR To Award Penalty (Photos) / Mikel Obi Says He's Surprised The Referee Refused To Award Them A Penalty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Paul Lambert: ‘referee Right Not To Award Liverpool Penalty’ by Sportxclusive: 10:35am On Apr 29, 2018
Stroke City boss Paul Lambert has claimed that the referee was correct not to award Liverpool a penalty in Saturday’s Premier League stalemate at Anfield.

The Reds were held to a frustrating 0-0 draw at Anfield where they found the target with just two of their 20 shots, but Henderson chose to criticize the standard of officiating rather than his team-mates’ finishing.

The incident occurred in the 87th minute when Georginio Wijnaldum’s delivery into the box appeared to hit Erik Pieter’s arm with Alberto Moreno lurking.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp and captain Jordan Henderson both criticized Andre Marriner’s decision not to award a spot kick, but Lambert is adamant that the official made the right decision.

“Listen… if that is a penalty we may as well all just have left,” Lambert told BBC Sport.

“It is never a penalty. You can understand Jurgen’s frustration about it but it’s no penalty.”

“We deserved [the point]. We came with a good game plan and played a really good game; the commitment, throwing bodies into challenges, and we might have nicked it.”

“All I wanted was a chance to go into the last few games with a chance [of staying up]. Hopefully results will go our way. It’s not for the faint-hearted, that is for sure. I thought Erik Pieters played brilliantly. Mohamed Salah has been on fire but he was outstanding.”

“I could not have asked for any more. If the lads had played like that from the start of the season, I would not be here and they would be cruising in the league. We are in a fight. I will take the fight for anything, and so will the lads.”
READ MORE:http://sportxclusive.com/2018/04/28/paul-lambert-referee-right-not-to-award-liverpool-penalty/

(1) (Reply)

World Cup 2018: Rohr Releases 30-man Squad For Russia [FULL LIST] / EPL: West Ham Appoints Manuel Pellegrini As New Manager At London Stadium / Bayern Star Robert Lewandowski's Agent Confirms Exit Plans (Details)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.