Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,969 members, 7,835,228 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo (30100 Views)

Amaechi To Dredge River Niger With N100m, Instead Of N47b Jonathan Approved / Amaechi, Yahaya Bello Flag Off Dredging Of River Niger Ajaokuta-Onitsha Waterway / Port-Harcourt Road, A Major Road In ABA Has Turned To "River Niger" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by three: 8:22am On May 02, 2018
really?

1 Like

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by SalamRushdie: 8:22am On May 02, 2018
Osinbanjo is really a very shallow , I remember in primary school we used to have this same argument a lot .... Osinbanjo is should know that literature that attributes the discovery of the river to Mungo park was referring to it from the part of the civilization Munho park and the literature writers represented....Every civilization speaks for itself and Osinbajo should know that buy now .
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by NairaMaster1(m): 8:22am On May 02, 2018
Sodiqsoda:

Vice President , Prof Yemi Osinbajo has declared that it is total rubbish to attribute the discovery of River Niger to Mungo Park.

Osinbajo said people were already fishing in River Niger before Park’s grand father was born.

He made this comment on Tuesday at the ongoing programmed tagged The Platform.

Osinbajo, who harped on the need for Nigerians to promote their own, noted that there are many young persons from this country who have contributed intellectually to the growth of the nation.

“I tell you, it is total rubbish to say Mungo Park discovered RiverNiger. We all know that people where fishing in the River beforeMungo Park’s grandfather was born.

“This calls for the need for us to promote our own,” he said.

According to the vice president, “our business as government is to create more enabling environment for entrepreneurs to do business and create more infrastructure.

“We have to provide more jobs as more people are added to the population everyday.

“Today we are confronted with the remnants of Boko Haram with farmers/herdsmen clashes and ethno-religious conflicts,’’ he said.

Osinbajo recalled that when oil was selling for 100 to 142 dollars per barrel, the budget of Transport and Agriculture Ministries; all the ministries together got 139 billion.

“Today with oil prices between 60 and 70 dollars per barrel, the Power, Works and Housing, Agriculture and Transport Ministries got N560 billion.

“How come we can do more with less income?

“How come we are able to invest in infrastructure. How come we can do the Lagos-Kano standard rail gauge; the Second NgerBridge, with 60 per cent less income than we earned a few years ago,” he asked.

“The job of the builder is not to complain. I believe the solution is in building that Nigerian bridge.

“A bridge that will be built on the strongest materials of all and to excel in our commitment to build a new society.

“A bridge that connects us across tribes; across ethnicity; across dialects; a bridge that connects us across religion; across politics; and across even generations.

“Everyone of us can travel on this bridge. A bridge that rises from innovation and traditions and stands the troubled waters of our past.

“A bridge that can take the traffic of all our best Nigerians and creativity; and human and materials to the destination of our dream.”

READ MORE: http://www.genloaded.com.ng/mungo-park-did-not-discover-river-niger-prof-yemi-osinbajo/

Prof you mean BUHARI discovered RN?
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Evablizin(f): 8:24am On May 02, 2018
Linus at it again,so this your argument will make Naija better abi? Abeg go and sit down.
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by NairaMaster1(m): 8:28am On May 02, 2018
obonujoker:

Before Christopher Columbus discovered America, were people not living there already

Anything from APC is good to go for the bombers.

Stay away from terrorist infested thread.

Meanwhile, Nigeria existed for long but same prof knows that Nigeria was born in 1914.

Independence: 1960

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by delman88(m): 8:29am On May 02, 2018
Obijulius:
Now look at this idiot and tell me why our economy will not fail.

Of all things to worry about this is the most pressing issue on this man’s mind. Trump is fighting for Christians in Nigeria while a pastor VP is having sleepless night over who discovered River Niger.

If anyone still thinks this man is sane please check yourself too.

Hey, this is the problem with youths, we are just to quick to talk. this is just a single sentence of the long speech given at THE PLATFORM. Am so sure he just used it as an illustration. The social media is just for you LAZY READERS.

6 Likes

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Archangel15: 8:29am On May 02, 2018
What is Osibanjo's issue with Mungo Park did we elect him to challenge discoveries?
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by martineverest(m): 8:30am On May 02, 2018
only intelligent people will believe this
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by BabaO2: 8:31am On May 02, 2018
Obijulius:

Of all things to worry about this is the most pressing issue on this man’s mind. Trump is fighting for Christians in Nigeria while a pastor VP is having sleepless night over who discovered River Niger.

you are just a nuisance

3 Likes

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by nnokwa042(m): 8:32am On May 02, 2018
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

Even Americans now admit he isn't the first person to visit America as the Vikings at some point visited it. Use your common sense you can only say Columbus is the first person from western Europe to voyage to America. To claim you discover a place were people already live in is the peak of intellectual dishonesty one can think of.
why didn't the Vikings invite other Europeans like Christopher Columbus did?why didn't slaves return to Africa with ship alone if the know what is Pacific and Atlantic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by 1bunne4lif(m): 8:33am On May 02, 2018
transformed:
A lot of unintelligent and lazy youth across the bridge...atimes when one attack Buhari, and you read comments from some youths across the ailes you are ashamed of the group you seem to queue with. Osinbajo's speech today is one of the greatest by any black man, not just Nigerian. Deep and insightful.
And you think you made a lot of sense?
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Alitair(m): 8:33am On May 02, 2018
River Niger discovered Mungo Park
Where has this guy been?
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Eazeee(m): 8:33am On May 02, 2018
I thought he will argue that its buhari that discovered river niger
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Muritino(m): 8:33am On May 02, 2018
[quote author=Obijulius post=67200529]Now look at this idiot and tell me why our economy will not fail.

If anyone still thinks this man is sane please check yourself too. [/quote

Next time, read all and understand before you comment. It makes you look more intelligent. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by emerged01(m): 8:33am On May 02, 2018
transformed:
A lot of unintelligent and lazy youth across the bridge...atimes when one attack Buhari, and you read comments from some youths across the ailes you are ashamed of the group you seem to queue with. Osinbajo's speech today is one of the greatest by any black man, not just Nigerian. Deep and insightful.
I tell you! i don't know how Nigeria can be helped as a nation to achieve the desired growth with these set of youths.

1 Like

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by martineverest(m): 8:34am On May 02, 2018
delman88:

Hey, this is the problem with youths, we are just to quick to talk. this is just a single sentence of the long speech given at THE PLATFORM. Am so sure he just used it as an illustration. The social media is just for you LAZY READERS.
it's becoming appalling, most Nigerian youths are just waiting for mistakes in speeches made by govt or extract words from context to ridicule govt officials.

the level of educated illiterates is getting high

2 Likes

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by wiloy2k8(m): 8:35am On May 02, 2018
vedaxcool:
This thread just confirmed many people are just not smart. Mungo Park cannot discover what already exists to the people using it. He can only discover it for the Western world, teaching pupils that he discovered the River Niger just does not make sense. Rather it should read he was the first white man to sail the River Niger but cannot be the first person to discover it.

Does ur great grand father know the end of the river or dept of the river .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Olabestonic001(m): 8:35am On May 02, 2018
Sodiqsoda:

Vice President , Prof Yemi Osinbajo has declared that it is total rubbish to attribute the discovery of River Niger to Mungo Park.

Osinbajo said people were already fishing in River Niger before Park’s grand father was born.

He made this comment on Tuesday at the ongoing programmed tagged The Platform.

Osinbajo, who harped on the need for Nigerians to promote their own, noted that there are many young persons from this country who have contributed intellectually to the growth of the nation.

“I tell you, it is total rubbish to say Mungo Park discovered RiverNiger. We all know that people where fishing in the River beforeMungo Park’s grandfather was born.

“This calls for the need for us to promote our own,” he said.

According to the vice president, “our business as government is to create more enabling environment for entrepreneurs to do business and create more infrastructure.

“We have to provide more jobs as more people are added to the population everyday.

“Today we are confronted with the remnants of Boko Haram with farmers/herdsmen clashes and ethno-religious conflicts,’’ he said.

Osinbajo recalled that when oil was selling for 100 to 142 dollars per barrel, the budget of Transport and Agriculture Ministries; all the ministries together got 139 billion.

“Today with oil prices between 60 and 70 dollars per barrel, the Power, Works and Housing, Agriculture and Transport Ministries got N560 billion.

“How come we can do more with less income?

“How come we are able to invest in infrastructure. How come we can do the Lagos-Kano standard rail gauge; the Second NgerBridge, with 60 per cent less income than we earned a few years ago,” he asked.

“The job of the builder is not to complain. I believe the solution is in building that Nigerian bridge.

“A bridge that will be built on the strongest materials of all and to excel in our commitment to build a new society.

“A bridge that connects us across tribes; across ethnicity; across dialects; a bridge that connects us across religion; across politics; and across even generations.

“Everyone of us can travel on this bridge. A bridge that rises from innovation and traditions and stands the troubled waters of our past.

“A bridge that can take the traffic of all our best Nigerians and creativity; and human and materials to the destination of our dream.”

READ MORE: http://www.genloaded.com.ng/mungo-park-did-not-discover-river-niger-prof-yemi-osinbajo/

Haba! To think that all these bloggers are purveyor of fake news makes me affirm that they're really lazy!

He was quoting the renowned poet and his beautiful poem- Dike Ikemefuna and I watched it live.

It is really evil to do these!

3 Likes

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by BiggyBamBam: 8:35am On May 02, 2018
Fela said it!
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by kaydp: 8:38am On May 02, 2018
transformed:
Honestly he made some salient points. I think these days peeps don't even bother to read anymore. They see the headline and go ballistic

2 Likes

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by martineverest(m): 8:39am On May 02, 2018
obonujoker:

Before Christopher Columbus discovered America, were people not living there already
hmmmm.......what about the Navajos,innuits,red Indians?....were they living in ur father's parlour?

1 Like

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by kaydp: 8:39am On May 02, 2018
martineverest:
it's becoming appalling, most Nigerian youths are just waiting for mistakes in speeches made by govt or extract words from context to ridicule govt officials.

the level of educated illiterates is getting high
Agreed

3 Likes

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by wyzoe: 8:40am On May 02, 2018

4 Likes

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by martineverest(m): 8:41am On May 02, 2018
diebuhari1:
A so called professor doesn't understand what it means to discover a river.
because the white documented it and gave it to us to digest it?

what about those that were using the river as a means of transportation but never documented it

2 Likes

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Nobody: 8:42am On May 02, 2018
Where is Korede Bello?
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by MikeBetty(m): 8:42am On May 02, 2018
Obijulius:

Not All Speech Deserve Negetive Comments. Better To Read Before Commenting. Media Houses Deceives People With Captions And Headlines.

2 Likes

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by bigglesjnr: 8:43am On May 02, 2018
[quote author=Obijulius post=67200529]Now look at this idiot and tell me why our economy will not fail.

If anyone still thinks this man is sane please check yourself too. [/u r a bigger idiot, I wonder if some you are not bastardy, he has achieved more than any one in your family 10 generations back. ]

1 Like

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Weareone202: 8:43am On May 02, 2018
Lol... I think our Dear Beloved VP should have known that when we say that Mungo Park discover River Niger does not mean he was the first person to sail on the sea. Sometimes I just wonder how we conclude things in order to confuse ourselves
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by martineverest(m): 8:44am On May 02, 2018
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

Even Americans now admit he isn't the first person to visit America as the Vikings at some point visited it. Use your common sense you can only say Columbus is the first person from western Europe to voyage to America. To claim you discover a place were people already live in is the peak of intellectual dishonesty one can think of.
there are just many idiots and low thinking ppl on nairaland who aren't ready to learn.....when I read the headlines,I just knew osinbajo was making sense after a very short thought

that idiot u are replying thinks the innuits,Navajo,red Indians etc were living in his father's palour before Columbus and Vespucci discovered Americas

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Orlarmeday(m): 8:45am On May 02, 2018
Obijulius:

See this mumu! What is happening to Christians that is not happening to other people? You people are the problem of this country and that is the reason we will not move forward.
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Nobody: 8:45am On May 02, 2018
Blackfire:
Even mungo park is not spared APC misplacement of priority.

If this topic made Front page i will personally slap a DPO in his office today.

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Slimcase: 8:46am On May 02, 2018
Blackfire:
Even mungo park is not spared APC misplacement of priority.

If this topic made Front page i will personally slap a DPO in his office today.

RIP in Advance Bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Crowd At Buhari Supporters Rally In Abuja Attended By VP Osibanjo- VIDEO / Abia Cattle Market Killings: Arewa Youths Give ‘last Warning’ / LP Candidates Defeat PDP Reps Members In Enugu’s Seven Constituencies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.